HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks re-sign F Alex Burrows to 4-Year, $18m Extension ($4.5m AAV with NTC)

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Vajakki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Yeah I was baffled too.

Actually Burrows' biggest natural strength is his skating....
Nah, you couldn't be more wrong here to be honest. Not even about opinions here, just simple facts. Don't get me wrong, he is a good skater right now but that's mostly because he is at the peak of his career physicality-wise. Once that drops off a bit (something that happens to every single player as they leave the 30 and get closer to 40) his skating and therefore his general effectiveness is going to take a big hit.

A player like Selänne is a tremendous skater with great, powerful stride and quick feet. He is just a great natural skater so he can easily keep up even at 40+ as long as his knees hold up. Player like Burrows is a completely different breed of hockey player. Just watch some of Burrows' earlier career, like when he joined the Moose or when he came up the first time after Rypien got injured. He was pretty much a bambi on ice and already something like 24 at that time.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Those NTC deals really make it easy for a player to be traded when the time comes - LUONGO.
Gillis only dishes out NTCs if he believes he won't have to trade the player. When Luongo signed his deal, no one expected Cory to be that good, and even until this March everybody thought Schneider was going to be shipped off. No one saw that coming and as much as it does suck, Luongo has been a team player about it as far as we know. The only circumstances where a NTC proves to be a real ***** is a situation like Heatley's where he is difficult and nixes a trade. Other than that, they aren't so bad.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
Nah, you couldn't be more wrong here to be honest. Not even about opinions here, just simple facts. Don't get me wrong, he is a good skater right now but that's mostly because he is at the peak of his career physicality-wise. Once that drops off a bit (something that happens to every single player as they leave the 30 and get closer to 40) his skating and therefore his general effectiveness is going to take a big hit.

A player like Selänne is a tremendous skater with great, powerful stride and quick feet. He is just a great natural skater so he can easily keep up even at 40+ as long as his knees hold up. Player like Burrows is a completely different breed of hockey player. Just watch some of Burrows' earlier career, like when he joined the Moose or when he came up the first time after Rypien got injured. He was pretty much a bambi on ice and already something like 24 at that time.
Burrows is 31 right now, not 40.

09-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Toblerone
RIP Hickstead

Today is a great day!

I think it may be time I got a Burrows jersey.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post
Today is a great day!

I think it may be time I got a Burrows jersey.
Join the club!

Old
09-14-2012, 02:58 PM
AlexandreBurrows

Wooohhoooooo. My HFboard name still relevant for another 4 years... Unlike MonsterBertuzzi.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Chubros

Hurrah! And Burr even takes another discount. He would have been a bargain at $5m x 6 years.

So heppy with this!

Old
09-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Oh man, SO happy with this news. The term, the hit, everything. Love me some Burrows. I have a blank Canucks jersey that I was waiting to numerate...14 Burrows is going on there!
I am getting me a Burrows jersey. If anyone deserved a payday, it's him. And yet he still gets a slight discount.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:11 PM
David71

expect an edler annoucement soon.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:23 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Let's look at this logically.

Over the next season or two the Canucks continue along the same path as before: winning President's trophies, but losing out in the playoffs. There is no evidence to indicate any other expectation.

Next year, or the year after, one of the Canucks younger talents (Jensen) develops to the level where he can contribute in the top 6. Or, they sign Doan. Or ???

Burrows (who has significant value on the trade market) could be moved for a piece the roster is missing. Oh no! Now he can't be traded!
So your logic is "what if some other player can fill his role"? Quick, call Gillis before the NTC kicks in NEXT YEAR.

At least you are a consistent one trick pony.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:25 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreBurrows View Post
Wooohhoooooo. My HFboard name still relevant for another 4 years... Unlike MonsterBertuzzi.
5 years.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:

Over the next season or two the Canucks continue along the same path as before: winning President's trophies, but losing out in the playoffs. There is no evidence to indicate any other expectation.
this is a profoundly illogical statement, unless you're arguing that expecting a stanley cup is illogical in itself due to the nature of the playoffs (a statement that is inherently true, but generally ignored)

Old
09-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Radiolad

awesome! awesome!awesome!

My brother asked me what jersey I wanted for my birthday a few years back when sundin and Lu were still on the team ( sorry Lu...too soon? ) and I told him that because of his heart and love for the team and a few goals in between, I wanted a Burrows jersey! I wear it with pride on a few different levels.

Anyone need a tissue?

Old
09-14-2012, 03:33 PM
ddawg1950

Great news.

Burrows is a heart and soul guy; talented and versitile, hard working and the kind of guys you love to go to war with.

The nabobs of negativism will always look to pick this apart, but this is a great signing at a great price.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:39 PM
timw33

Almost every important piece is locked up for at least the next two seasons except for Edler. Me like.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:

Next year, or the year after, one of the Canucks younger talents (Jensen) develops to the level where he can contribute in the top 6. Or, they sign Doan. Or ???

Burrows (who has significant value on the trade market) could be moved for a piece the roster is missing. Oh no! Now he can't be traded!
So...logically, if you actually believe the bolded then you must be advocating for a complete rebuilding process right? Your faith that this current core can't win a cup, is a much larger statement than not liking this Burrows contract, really curious to hear who you want to trade the Sedins for? Really though if 31 is 'old' then I guess Hamhuis and Bieksa are about to be old so we should probably move them before they get old, not to mention Kesler who seems to be aging in dog years, better get rid of him too. I can't wait for our team full of shiny new prospects who have no chance of even making the playoffs, i've certainly envied Oiler fans over these last few years

There is certainly no guarantee Jensen is ever a top 6 forward in the NHL, or that we sign Doan (why would you even advocate for that if you want to rebuild?) and guys with NTC's get moved on a fairly regular basis anyway. So, yes! He can be traded!

Old
09-14-2012, 03:42 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Almost every important piece is locked up for at least the next two seasons except for Edler. Me like.
Doan't rain on the parade of people already wanting to complain about the 2017 season.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:56 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
doan't rain on the parade of people already wanting to complain about the 2017 season.
everyone is not signed in 4 years how are we going to afford their massive raises?

Old
09-14-2012, 04:10 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:

You are rapidly becoming the most annoying poster on here .... you do understand the NTC means the Canucks are happy to be commited to him, and he undoubtly took a slight pay cut to do it. Its the nature of hockey. You are complaining about a 4 year deal with a NTC ....

Old
09-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Look at that smile!

SO happy & what a great way to start the weekend.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:18 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Awesome, awesome. Exactly the deal I was hoping for. Good job Gillis man.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:25 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Great news.

Burrows is a heart and soul guy; talented and versitile, hard working and the kind of guys you love to go to war with.

The nabobs of negativism will always look to pick this apart, but this is a great signing at a great price.
Couldn't help but think of the coffee brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
You are rapidly becoming the most annoying poster on here .... you do understand the NTC means the Canucks are happy to be commited to him, and he undoubtly took a slight pay cut to do it. Its the nature of hockey. You are complaining about a 4 year deal with a NTC ....
It's as if we gave Doan the 4 year deal with a NTC.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:32 PM
denkiteki

Another home town discount... everyone should get a Burrows jersey!

Old
09-14-2012, 04:45 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Look at that smile!

SO happy & what a great way to start the weekend.
Cheap pen.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
Good signing now about that another player Edler.....will he be re-signed?

Closed Thread