HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Could a December/January start date help the Habs?

Old
09-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Habsrule

vCash: 500
Could a December/January start date help the Habs?

If their were a lock-out and the season happened to start in December or January would it help the Habs?

-Bourque could have his injury healed

-Gionta could have his injury healed

-Leblanc/Gallagher could have a few months played in the AHL and could fight for a roster spot

-Galchenyuk could have a few months of hockey played to get him NHL ready

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Gionta-Plekanec-Bourque
Eller-Galchenyuk-Armstrong
Moen-White-Prust

extras-Nokolainen, Leblanc/Gallagher

Could always bump White if one of Leblanc or Gallagher can make an impact in the NHL. If so:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Gionta-Plekanec-Bourque
Eller-Galchenyuk-Leblanc/Gallagher
Moen-Prust-Armstrong

extras-Nokolainen, White

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:05 AM
katatoniak

Gionta is hurt ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:09 AM
poetryinmotion

No point in Gally coming over because he will have the WJC. I'd send him back to Sarnia after.

Bourque's injury is the only thing that it will help, really. And like the poster above me I had no idea Gionta was injured (again?).
I just wish it would start on time, damn shenanigans.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
If you read the Stubbs article in today's Gazette, Therrien and the staff are planning sweeping changes to the system and he makes it clear that the players will have a ton on their plate to learn those changes.

So a late start, a possibly very short training camp and a 40-50 games jam packed schedule with not much practice time would likely not be much of a help. By the time the team fully grasps the changes, it could be too late for it to matter.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Other teams also have injured players that will take the late start to heal their injuries too and young players in other teams will also gain more experience with their AHL team. So not much of a difference.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Habsrule

As per Gionta's injury. Have any of you guys heard how his arm is doing?

I remember last year that he was supposed to be out until training camp or so. This way he should have it all healed and back to 100%.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:09 PM
DAChampion

The worst possible situation for the Habs is losing the entire season in my opinion. Starting in December would be far preferable to not starting.

Conversely, whether we start in December and play a 50 game season, or start in September and play an 80 game season, is a small issue to me.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The worst possible situation for the Habs is losing the entire season in my opinion. Starting in December would be far preferable to not starting.

Conversely, whether we start in December and play a 50 game season, or start in September and play an 80 game season, is a small issue to me.
Depends i guess. If its ruled Montreal doesnt have to pay the players contracts even in a lockout, then burning years of contracts of Gomez, Bourque, Gionta and Kaberle would be quite nice. Add in another top pick and losing a year isnt the worst thing for the habs.

If Montreal does have to pay the contracts, i guess we will see if revenue sharing works in reverse and the league shares these expenses.

Overall tho, its going to become a "who cares" once the NHL starts losing games. The fans will move on to other things in the mean time. Unlike these greedy SOBs, we still have to work. The void will be filled by family, movies, games, other sports. And if and when it comes back, some will return likely more jaded then ever which will hurt league revenues. How the players can continue to think revenue will grow if ever 6-8 years we have a lockout is beyond me. Its going to be a much tougher sell this time to the fans.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:32 AM
PricePkPatch

The real benefit, IMHO, would be Leblanc and Ghallager playing in Hamilton with our other talented youths like Tinordi, Beaulieu and Holland. I want them to play as a unit, and not feel the weight of possibly being recalled every other night because of injury. They need to develop their chemistry.

Otherwise, I guess a half-year of Gomez is a good thing for us.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:41 AM
bhuya71

Why can't we just let our youth develop and mature before rushing them...have we not learned anything?

I am pretty sure Leblanc/Gallagher/Galchenyuk is NOT the answer to us making the playoffs...

The answer (not the highest probability of us making it) to us having a chance of making it is:

- secondary scoring from Pleks WINGERS (not line as pleks as I am confident he's good for approximately 50-60 points)
- a tougher shutdown line in our third, which will provide grit, energy, and a bit of offensive while intimidating and wearing down the other team
- an organized and more mature defense with each pairing having a good breakout guy and a stay at home
- a coach who is prepared and can...coach...

So, let's let Gally/Leblanc/Mini-Gally rip up their respective leagues playing top 6 minutes and feel like total gangsters (detroit style) before bringing them into play defensive positions and playing ~10 minutes a game and halting their offensive development... wow that makes so much sense!

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:45 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
Why can't we just let our youth develop and mature before rushing them...have we not learned anything?!
Agreed 100%

I want them to play a full AHL year. I want them to win the Calder Cup.

But you know some people don't necessarily think as we do. A lock-out kinda removes Damocles' Sword from over their head.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:37 PM
DAChampion

With a season, we draft at approximately 5th overall.

Without a season, we draft at approximately 20th overall.

That's the major difference for the Habs.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Jigger77

Quote:

Not a chance if they stay healthy.

Personally I doubt there will be a season. I just don't see how they can possibly bridge such a large gap given their mindsets and the way they "negociate".

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:53 PM
RC51

Lets see. habs save 3.5 million just on Gomez alone, wait if the players accept a new cba at 25% less money Habs own Gomes about 8 mil for contract. If they buy him out for his last year Habs will only give him 3-3.5 mil

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:15 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Not a chance if they stay healthy.
Every summer some habs fans say "next season when we have no injuries".

Old
09-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:

why does montreal draft 20th overall without a season? We have zero clue.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:42 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
why does montreal draft 20th overall without a season? We have zero clue.
It's all about probability. If and when the NHL decides to adopt the same lottery as in 2005, Montreal will only have one ball.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Peter Puck

If we play only half a season it will be compressed with less time off between games. I think this means more Budaj and probably leads to a very low finish.

Peter Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Peter Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
It's all about probability. If and when the NHL decides to adopt the same lottery as in 2005, Montreal will only have one ball.
True but we also have Nashville's, Calgary's and our own 2nd round picks. In a snake draft these may be worth more than they would have in a regular draft (although probably Calgary's won't).

Peter Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
by what i read it was a weighted draft lottery still. Teams who missed the playoffs still had better hopes of receiving higher picks. Least wikipedia described it. So in theory, Montreal may have a better probability still then many teams.

Who knows tho. I dont think Montreal is bottom five team either if they played this year

I guess this bridge gets crossed if it happens. Maybe the NHL changes what they did last time as well, who knows really.

Old
09-15-2012, 01:20 AM
bsl

Quote:
Depends i guess. If its ruled Montreal doesnt have to pay the players contracts even in a lockout, then burning years of contracts of Gomez, Bourque, Gionta and Kaberle would be quite nice. Add in another top pick and losing a year isnt the worst thing for the habs.

If Montreal does have to pay the contracts, i guess we will see if revenue sharing works in reverse and the league shares these expenses.

Overall tho, its going to become a "who cares" once the NHL starts losing games. The fans will move on to other things in the mean time. Unlike these greedy SOBs, we still have to work. The void will be filled by family, movies, games, other sports. And if and when it comes back, some will return likely more jaded then ever which will hurt league revenues. How the players can continue to think revenue will grow if ever 6-8 years we have a lockout is beyond me. Its going to be a much tougher sell this time to the fans.
Full year missed means we probably lose our second and last chance at a top 5 pick for the rebuild. Meanwhile, the Oil get 3 firsts in a row for their rebuild. It will piss me off no end.

Quote:

Beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Puck View Post
True but we also have Nashville's, Calgary's and our own 2nd round picks. In a snake draft these may be worth more than they would have in a regular draft (although probably Calgary's won't).
We're talking about first round picks. And Nash may well have done worse this year if they play, meaning their 2nd round pick would have been even better.

And Marky misses another year of NHL play.

A year lost is all bad for Habs. Terrible.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 01:25 AM
JSBach

Not any more than it would help any other team.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Corncob

Quote:
by what i read it was a weighted draft lottery still. Teams who missed the playoffs still had better hopes of receiving higher picks. Least wikipedia described it. So in theory, Montreal may have a better probability still then many teams.
It was a weighted lottery taking into account the last several years. Start with three balls, lose one for every playoff appearance in the last three years and one for every first overall draft pick in the past four years to a minimum of one ball.

Under the exact same system this time Montreal would have one ball (two playoff appearances in the past three years). Edmonton would have one ball (minus one for each first overall pick). Toronto would have three. Columbus would have three.

Actually Columbus are in the same position Pittsburgh were last lockout where they would be advantaged by having lost out in the previous years draft lottery. In 2004 Pittsburgh finished last but lost the draft lottery to Washington so had to 'make do' with Malkin, hence they ended up with a higher chance in the next year's Crosby lottery.

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Knowing some teams luck if there is a lockout and draft lottery i suspect pittsburgh with no1, followed by washington... Lol

But i would wet my pants if we would pick 1st lol

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:26 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
But i would wet my pants if we would pick 1st lol
Based on the reviews of some other posters, I'd be excited at any high pick. Bakrov, MacKinnon, Jones, etc would all be quite nice to have.

Another advantage of a season, listed in the surgical tanking thread, is that we can trade contracts at the deadline for additional 1st and 2nd rounders to legitimate playoff teams. We have 4 top-60 picks next year. I'd rather have 6 or 7.

Obviously, it will be extremely difficult to accumulate additional top-60 picks without a season.