HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shane Doan re-signs with the Coyotes (4yr-21.2 million)

Old
09-14-2012, 06:20 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 225
Good for Coyote fans.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Bad contract. Old, beaten up player who has 1, maybe 2 good years left. Guess he doesn't want to win a Cup. I also doubt Phoenix even has a team 4 years from now.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:22 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 875
So guy waits over 2 months to sign, then gets signed and is a Phoenix hero?! Lol. If he deserved the c, and loved phoenIx he would of signed long ago.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:23 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
the lure of the front office just wasn't enough to get him to vancouver, eh? that's an...interesting contract. Even at the rollback price of $10m that's gonna be sketchy in three years.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:24 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
So guy waits over 2 months to sign, then gets signed and is a Phoenix hero?! Lol. If he deserved the c, and loved phoenIx he would of signed long ago.
He didn't sign because of the uncertainty of the franchise relocating which is why it he was adamant on waiting until the ownership thing settled.

It's obvious he has no loyalty to the team. It's just loyalty to his ranch and being able to live in Phoenix. It's really nothing other than that.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:28 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's obvious he has no loyalty to the team. It's just loyalty to his ranch and being able to live in Phoenix. It's really nothing other than that.
1 post out of nearly 5000 that makes sense.

His loyalty is to his family, ranch and comfort of PHX living. Not the Coyotes.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Many quite goofy comments going on around here.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Nice job Coyotes!! Go get a cup before he retires. Just not if your playing against my team in the finals.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:43 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I said this the week after he didn't sign anywhere...and I'm happy to pull an I Told Ya So! I'll have to find it.. but there are so many Doan threads. I figured it was a bluff when he didn't take lucrative offers.

Honestly.. I'm very happy for him, his family, and all of Phoenix. They belong together. I'm a little irritated he bluffed so much, but I'm sure it was for good reason. Good stuff for all parties involved.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Congratulations Coyotes fans, you have one heck of a captain.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
This is My Swamp

Awesome for the 'Yotes.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
No surprise; he wouldn't have looked right in Vancouver or anywhere else anyway so the perfect ending to this whole ordeal for me, someone who will support the Coyotes. Doan's a loyalty, that's for sure. He's remained loyal to the Coyotes, the city, and the fans. If you don't believe that he's remained loyal to the Coyotes as well as his family and personal life, how about this:

Quote:
"I'm extremely excited about remaining a Coyote," Doan said on the team's website. "I was drafted by this organization and it means a great deal to me to be able to play with the same franchise my entire career.

"I'm very excited about our team, our coaching staff and our management and am confident about our future in Arizona. I chose to stay with the Coyotes because I am committed to winning here, not anywhere else and I love living and playing in the Valley. This is my home and this is my team."
I love the last sentence. I've always had so much respect for Doan and even more after this summer. Takes a discount and leaves good offers on the table to stay. He could have easily went to Vancouver and had a great chance for the Cup or accepted Buffalo's four-year, $30M offer for a good term and salary, but it was Phoenix through and through. I, for one, don't think this contract will be a burden at all. It would have to other teams, but it won't to the Coyotes. Also, who says the Coyotes, assuming they stay in Phoenix, can't be a Cup contender within four years? This team made it to the WCF just months ago. With the way standings in the League change so quickly, you can go from a bottom-feeder to playoff/Cup contender in a matter of a few years and vice versa. There is no saying what four years will bring. It's more likely he'd win a Cup in Vancouver, but it's not totally impossible in Phoenix.

All in all, good re-signing by the Coyotes. It's a good day to be an NHL fan in general, even with the lockout looming overhead. If the Coyotes lost both Whitney and Doan in one offseason, it would have been disastrous.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, if he really did turn down a $30M deal for $21.2M, it says something. He has been a bit underpaid at times in the past, so I don't think anybody should criticize the premium he might be getting now on a retirement deal.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Islanderfan17

Really happy to see him signed with the Yotes again

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Le CH

Brutal contract... dude turns 36 in a month - that $5.25M/year contract isn't going to look good in a couple of years ( plus they'll be stuck w/t the caphit even if he retires before the contract expires ).

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Brutal contract... dude turns 36 in a month - that $5.25M/year contract isn't going to look good in a couple of years ( plus they'll be stuck w/t the caphit even if he retires before the contract expires ).
So what. They'll never spend to the cap, so having 5 mil in a player not playing and not getting paid is actually beneficial to a team trying to reach the cap floor.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:27 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel View Post
well, i guess doan's gonna retire without a cup.
Did you or anyone else for that matter expect the Kings to do what they did this year? The favorites all failed... Maybe it's the Coyotes year upcoming? He's got four years...

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Orca Smash

So sale did not go through and he still signed anyway. As soon as he was confident in jamison and from the radio interview it sounded like he was confident in him a few weeks, possibly even a month back, he could have easily signed then. I guess the saga was more a by product of his agent.

With that said I do like the coyotes. Besides vc probably my favorite team in the west.

Orca Smash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:36 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He didn't want to be a hired gun elsewhere. He wants to make Phoenix a successful organization. It's been his goal for over a decade and he's not going to just give up. You have to respect that. He's probably crazy, but god damned is he driven.

09-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

I knew he wasn't signing in Vancouver as soon as Y2KCanuck said he expects him to sign in Vancouver any minute.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:40 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Check out the Coyotes homepage redirect...

http://coyotes.nhl.com/

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
He didn't want to be a hired gun elsewhere. He wants to make Phoenix a successful organization. It's been his goal for over a decade and he's not going to just give up. You have to respect that. He's probably crazy, but god damned is he driven.
Yes, you have to admire his loyalty and drive. Good on him, and congrats to the Coyotes.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:51 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Happy for Coyote fans. They already dealt with enough ****. Without Doan I doubt Phoenix compete for the playoffs. They have a decent top 6 and Mike Smith. If those things continue to be good then they can compete

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:53 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

No surprise really. Doan is 1 of those guys that it'd be difficult to see him playing with any other team.

09-14-2012, 09:09 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Great for Yotes fans but that's a terrible contract.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote