HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please tell me Therrien was kidding around

Old
09-13-2012, 07:51 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Play with scrubs. No sense putting him on the wing and rendering him ineffective. Might as well force him to produce with scrubs in the position he is best at.
Since WHEN does Eller is sooo good at center ? The guy cannot take a faceoff properly.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally94 View Post
People should chill down. Therrien is trying stuff and thats what training camp is all about.

I like the idea of having 3 balanced Defensive pairings...and I think by putting Bouillon-Subban as the 3rd pairing on the board didn't mean Subban is playing on the 3rd pairing. It means that Therrien wants to put that pairing with Moen-Prust-Arm which would provide a full hitting/checking line. Subban can still doubleshift with Gorges from time to time during the game and will probably be playing on the 1st PP and 1st PK.

The only thing that I didnt like is Gomez-White-Gallagher as the 4th line. But otherwise, good combos.
Hmm, if he was trying stuff out why not taken one of Pacioretty/Cole and give them to Plekanec and Gionta for a test. I mean who knows, Eller-Desharnais-Cole may work better than Eller-Plekanec-Gionta.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:38 PM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Hmm, if he was trying stuff out why not taken one of Pacioretty/Cole and give them to Plekanec and Gionta for a test. I mean who knows, Eller-Desharnais-Cole may work better than Eller-Plekanec-Gionta.
The absolute worst thing to do would be to split up pac-dd-cole. One thing I'd like to see from Therrien is to give Gallagher/Leblanc a chance on Plekanec's line...even Galchenyuk.

SakuSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
The absolute worst thing to do would be to split up pac-dd-cole.
No, the absolute worst thing to do is keep 1 very good line together, to the point of stubbornness, if nothing else is working and the team is easy to shut down...aka Randy Cunneyworth's entire tenure.

That line should only stay together if a consistent 2nd line emerges.

Quote:
One thing I'd like to see from Therrien is to give Gallagher/Leblanc a chance on Plekanec's line...even Galchenyuk.
Leblanc is a RW who can play some center.
Gallagher is a RW.
Galchenyuk is a center, NOT a winger.

None of them is the answer for the Plekanec/Gionta LW problem.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:30 PM
SakuSauce
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
No, the absolute worst thing to do is keep 1 very good line together, to the point of stubbornness, if nothing else is working and the team is easy to shut down...aka Randy Cunneyworth's entire tenure.

That line should only stay together if a consistent 2nd line emerges.

Leblanc is a RW who can play some center.
Gallagher is a RW.
Galchenyuk is a center, NOT a winger.

None of them is the answer for the Plekanec/Gionta LW problem.
As for the Pac-DD-Cole line, I don't see why we should split them up AT THE START OF THE YEAR and go from there. You have a point, but I think we should start with that 1st line.

Would it be THAT bad for Galchenyuk to play in a preseason game on the wing with Plekanec? There is nothing bad on experiencing a game on the wing. I didn't say I want him to play on the wing all his career, but I don't see how this can be bad. As for Leblanc or Gallagher, I meant to play him with Plekanec not Plekanec/Gionta.

But in a way, you are right, all we have is centers and RWs. So why do people complain when we try Eller on the wing? We don't have many LWs...therefore we gotta try to put a C/RW on the LW...unless you want to put Moen there? Or sign Kostitsyn?

Last edited by SakuSauce: 09-13-2012 at 10:36 PM.
SakuSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:31 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Absolutely correct!
we can find better reasons than this to bash Therrien
I think we should let him coach a game first..

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I had forgotten why I barely read this board (Habs) during the down months. Thank you for reminding me.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:43 AM
MXD

Actually, Bouillon with Subban in a 7-D combination (where Subban is 1st and Bouillon is 6th-7th, and Bouillon mainly plays with Subban at ES and on the PK) could make sense. With Subban playing some other shifts with Diaz or something like that.

Problem with that : they (or, more like, Subban) won't be a shutdown guy anymore.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:05 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I don't hate the Subban/Bouillon pairing actually.

If Bouillon can still follow the kid for 20 es minutes though.
PK will get tons of PP time on top. Bouillon can teach Subban a few things and will stay back and give PK the chance to do what he does best. Not a bad idea in my opinion, PK needs to be with a defense-minded D, and that;s either Georges or Bouillon.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:28 AM
PricePkPatch

Woah, people are really desperate for something Habs-related to ***** about..

Therrien is simply shaping up the players. Getting them to know each other a bit again. I won't say a bad thing about the man unless we lost a game beause of his coaching.

He can make them spend the entire pre-season dancing on their head for all that matters. He is the HC, we aren't. How about we let him do his thing?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Would it be THAT bad for Galchenyuk to play in a preseason game on the wing with Plekanec? There is nothing bad on experiencing a game on the wing. I didn't say I want him to play on the wing all his career, but I don't see how this can be bad. As for Leblanc or Gallagher, I meant to play him with Plekanec not Plekanec/Gionta.
Oh ok, I thought you meant regular season in Galchenyuk's case and you were talking as a LW to Pleks/Gio in LL's and BG's case. Yeah sure, try it out in pre-season.

I just don't want to see kids rushed, especially if it's out of position.

Quote:
But in a way, you are right, all we have is centers and RWs. So why do people complain when we try Eller on the wing? We don't have many LWs...
Because Eller's size is needed down the middle and every other time Eller has played wing, which has been quite a few times the last 2 years, it quickly becomes clear he isn't suited for it.

Anyway, this really looks like a moot point. By the time this CBA mess is solved, odds are that Bourque will likely back. I really don't see a resolution until mid-October at the earliest with how deeply entrenched both sides appear to be, you have to figure it will take around 3-4 weeks before there's a regular season game played once an agreement is reached. So that brings us to mid-November...and that's the optimistic scenario.

Still think flip flopping Bourque and Max Pac is the right move though. Let Desharnais try and unlock the Bourque mystery.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Line combo debate, and we don't even know if we will have hockey in October. Gotta love HF.
This. Relax folks, get some fresh air, it's still nice outside.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:21 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Since WHEN does Eller is sooo good at center ? The guy cannot take a faceoff properly.
Oh, I forgot face-off's are the only facet to a Center's game.

46.6% is hardly a horrible percentage.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Oh, I forgot face-off's are the only facet to a Center's game.

46.6% is hardly a horrible percentage.
Most fans on this board want Eller to get top two line responsabilities and minutes...

Now they are complaining BECAUSE he MIGHT have to play LW on the second line....

Old
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Most fans on this board want Eller to get top two line responsabilities and minutes...

Now they are complaining BECAUSE he MIGHT have to play LW on the second line....

And if you put him at center on the second line, they'll complain because Plekanec is getting the shaft.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Peace

There wont be a season anyways

Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 04:59 PM
odishabs

what was the lineup?

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Eller - Plekanec - Gionta
Armstrong - Prust - Moen
White - Nokelainen - Gallagher

????????

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 05:09 PM
peate
Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
what was the lineup?

Armstrong - Prust - Moen
White - Nokelainen - Gallagher

????????
Pretty close, just slot in Gomer on the 4th line.

peate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Habitant le colon

Armstrong - Prust - Moen
White - Nokelainen - Gomez

until Bourque is ready ... wich would be the case if lock out go till november.

this mean :

Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
Armstrong Plekanec Gionta
Prust Eller Bourque
White Gomez (Nokelainen, Leblanc) Moen

the reason why they fit Eller as a top 6 actually is to try some subsitution in case of injuries ... or perhap their is more to come from trade after the cba.

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:47 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:

The team has a glaring hole at LW. Doesn't mean you move one of your best center prospects to the wing to fix it. We should be grooming Eller into a top-two center.. not fitting him into holes we were too short-sighted to fix.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:33 PM
habitue*

Quote:
The team has a glaring hole at LW. Doesn't mean you move one of your best center prospects to the wing to fix it. We should be grooming Eller into a top-two center.. not fitting him into holes we were too short-sighted to fix.
Until Eller proves that he is better (more productive offensively) than DD or Pleks, he will be stucked on the 3rd line.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:36 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Until Eller proves that he is better (more productive offensively) than DD or Pleks, he will be stucked on the 3rd line.
And I am saying that is where he should stay. Only improvements I'd like to see for him this year is to have him play on the PP. Which doesn't require him being the "center" on the line. As long as he sets up anywhere but the front of the net and uses his vision & stickhandling abilities to create offensive opportunities.

Eller-Plekanec-Pacioretty PP line one.
Cole-DD-Gionta PP line two.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:57 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
The guy gets a promotion on the first two lines! I like it personaly. Time to show what he's got.

Also I don't think Therrien wants another Jordan Staal situation on his hands where the guy got so sick on playing on the third line that he wanted out the first chance he got.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:13 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The guy gets a promotion on the first two lines! I like it personaly. Time to show what he's got.

Also I don't think Therrien wants another Jordan Staal situation on his hands where the guy got so sick on playing on the third line that he wanted out the first chance he got.
C'mon...
I like Eller, but hasn't proved he could be a decent producer on a Top-6...

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Its either eller improves at the wing, and plays with talent, or he plays 3rd line centre with a bunch of grinders. Either way, he's in a bit of a bind.

I still hold hope for eller to play well at the wing. Players who play the centre position are usually pretty versatile. I mean, its not like the club can rely on bourque to deliver, and other top 6 injuries are bound to happen. Eller is the one guy in the bottom 6 that can step into that top 6 role, so the habs desperately need him to become an effective wing player.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote