HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Vancouver Canadians (NWL/short season A ball) repeat as champions

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 05:10 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Vancouver Canadians (NWL/short season A ball) repeat as champions

No matter what happens with the Jays, at least there's some positive news in the farm system.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
09-14-2012, 05:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

In other news, Pittsburgh is imploding at an alarming rate. And Snider has cooled off some (and now he's hurt). He's OPSing .715 right now, with 1 homer and 7 RBI in 36 games (99 PAs) as a Pirate.

Old
09-14-2012, 05:19 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
In other news, Pittsburgh is imploding at an alarming rate. And Snider has cooled off some (and now he's hurt). He's OPSing .715 right now, with 1 homer and 7 RBI in 36 games (99 PAs) as a Pirate.
He just came off an injury as well. I think the Pirates are an example of ****ing up a teams chemistry. Something went very bad very fast with them

Old
09-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
before I lock this thread and start a new one, I feel compelled to say that any trade is always a two-party deal. It's easy to say that a GM "failed" because he didn't make a trade, but that presumes that there was a reasonable trade to be made. Maybe the Reds/A's/whoever wanted specific types of assets that the Jays didn't have. maybe they just liked what other teams had better. maybe what they wanted from the Jays were too valuable to the team to give up or the they felt that price was too high.

We don't know. Maybe these were factors, maybe they weren't. But hanging a non-trade solely on the head of Alex Anthopoulos is over-simplifying the issue..
Didn't want this comment to get lost at the end of the last thread, since it's chock full of good sense.

And yes, congratulations to the victorious Vancouver Canadians.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
He just came off an injury as well. I think the Pirates are an example of ****ing up a teams chemistry. Something went very bad very fast with them
Meh, they weren't that good anyways to begin with. Neither are Orioles or A's but they are somehow managing to win games.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:27 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post

They collapsed in 2nd half last year as well.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:29 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Meh, they weren't that good anyways to begin with. Neither are Orioles or A's but they are somehow managing to win games.

A's have legit pitching however. They have overachieved but their run differential is +80 while Pirates and Orioles are in negative.

A's are also top-10 in baseball in HRs. 167 on the season. Last year they hit 114.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Quote:
Yup. Snider's cooled off at a rapid rate, they have a revolving door in RF with Tabata and Presley (both of whom suck), they're entire infield is a question mark, and the same with their rotation. McCutchen is the only reason they don't completely suck ass.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:43 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
They collapsed in 2nd half last year as well.
what's even more pathetic is aside from the reds they don't play a team with a record over .500 the rest of the way and likely still won't do **** with that.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Brody

vCash: 560
Josh Hamilton's a free agent at the end of the season, right?

Hamilton - Rasmus - Bautista <----- Best OF in baseball.

Too bad Rogers and AA won't pay up to get a superstar.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:00 PM
The Hutch

Great for the Canadians! They used to be AAA ball back in the day before that team moved to Sacramento. The sad thing is that the Seattle Seahawks losing to Arizona got the sports page cover of The Province, while this title win got a mention in the bottom corner for the small article in the middle of the section. No ignorance of the vast difference in popularity between the NFL and short season A baseball. It's just a shame that an opportunity to expose the franchise was passed over for a Seattle team in their first week of games.

Whitecaps, Canadians, and the BC Lions have all won championships. This means that there's only one particular Vancouver based sports franchise that remains empty handed. I am okay with this.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post

Not to many teams will be lining up to hand out a long term deal for a former substance abuse addict. Also doesn't help that he has relapsed a couple times the last few years.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:25 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post

I remember reading Hamilton wanted a 5+ year deal. Anything more than 3 becomes a huge risk. He's also 31 and has history.

Old
09-14-2012, 11:20 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I remember reading Hamilton wanted a 5+ year deal. Anything more than 3 becomes a huge risk. He's also 31 and has history.
Reading up on his comments online, the dude seems to be preachy to me. Not that its a bad thing (generally, as long as he doesn't try to convert anyone) and has had only 1 slip in the past 6 years and that was his AZ incident in 2009.

Not defending him, no doubt that that there is a risk but I am not sure how big it may be.

I'd love to take the risk on Hamilton sooner than I would on Big Papi. Of course this is just going off by whats on paper. Big Papi could just be a better locker room fit which is curtail as well.

Old
09-14-2012, 11:32 PM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Reading up on his comments online, the dude seems to be preachy to me. Not that its a bad thing (generally, as long as he doesn't try to convert anyone) and has had only 1 slip in the past 6 years and that was his AZ incident in 2009.

Not defending him, no doubt that that there is a risk but I am not sure how big it may be.

I'd love to take the risk on Hamilton sooner than I would on Big Papi. Of course this is just going off by whats on paper. Big Papi could just be a better locker room fit which is curtail as well.
he relapsed this year lol

BIG no to Hamilton. there's a reason Texas is gonna let him go

Old
09-15-2012, 12:51 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
he relapsed this year lol
Well then, my googling skills need improvement. Or perhaps my reading. Blah!

Old
09-15-2012, 02:17 AM
ProstheticConscience
Freeman?

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hutch View Post
Great for the Canadians! They used to be AAA ball back in the day before that team moved to Sacramento. The sad thing is that the Seattle Seahawks losing to Arizona got the sports page cover of The Province, while this title win got a mention in the bottom corner for the small article in the middle of the section. No ignorance of the vast difference in popularity between the NFL and short season A baseball. It's just a shame that an opportunity to expose the franchise was passed over for a Seattle team in their first week of games.

*this sentence did not exist*
Used to catch Canadians games once upon a time. Nat Bailey's a great little ball park when you actually head down there. My dad was a much bigger baseball fan than a hockey fan, and he and I used to catch Cs games in the 80's and 90's. I remember seeing Kelly Gruber there coming off a minor league injury assignment once. AAA ball there was a lot of fun, even if (like myself) you don't really care about baseball. Still trying to get used to the short schedule; I remember seeing stuff about Cs playoffs and thinking: "Didn't the season just start in June? The hell...?"

Old
09-15-2012, 07:16 AM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Not to many teams will be lining up to hand out a long term deal for a former substance abuse addict. Also doesn't help that he has relapsed a couple times the last few years.
And seems to hit the DL yearly

Old
09-15-2012, 01:57 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I know that Villanueva might not be happy about the fact that Anthopoulos has said he's not sure about committing to him as a full-time starter given that he's never done that role, but even though I want Charlie V back next year, Anthopoulos does have a point. Even this year, he's projected to hit 132 innings at his current pace. That would be a major league career high for him. And the only time he's ever pitched more innings in a year were 05 (133 innings in teh minors) and 06 (118 innings in the minors and another 50 or so in the majors). He's never had 200 innings and a whole season of starting at one level, let alone the major league level. There's no guarantee he doesn't start faltering when he tops 150 or 160 innings.

Yes, this season as an extended audition looks promising. But I don't like the idea of paying the guy mid-rotation starter money only to find out that he ends up back in the bullpen at some point. Unfortunately for the Jays, some panicky, desperate GM is likely going to back the money truck up to him and he'll be gone (which I can't fault him for)

Old
09-15-2012, 02:47 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Allstars are hard to find when your a Jays Fan

The Rangers just keep on finding jewels, even when they go to the World Series year after year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2614036.html

Old
09-15-2012, 03:57 PM
shully
Night's Watch

Quote:
I know that Villanueva might not be happy about the fact that Anthopoulos has said he's not sure about committing to him as a full-time starter given that he's never done that role, but even though I want Charlie V back next year, Anthopoulos does have a point. Even this year, he's projected to hit 132 innings at his current pace. That would be a major league career high for him. And the only time he's ever pitched more innings in a year were 05 (133 innings in teh minors) and 06 (118 innings in the minors and another 50 or so in the majors). He's never had 200 innings and a whole season of starting at one level, let alone the major league level. There's no guarantee he doesn't start faltering when he tops 150 or 160 innings.

Yes, this season as an extended audition looks promising. But I don't like the idea of paying the guy mid-rotation starter money only to find out that he ends up back in the bullpen at some point. Unfortunately for the Jays, some panicky, desperate GM is likely going to back the money truck up to him and he'll be gone (which I can't fault him for)
And then people will say that it's cheapo Rogers fault that we didn't resign him for 110M a year for 3 years

Old
09-15-2012, 04:25 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shully View Post
And then people will say that it's cheapo Rogers fault that we didn't resign him for 110M a year for 3 years

I will say that I'm cool with him getting like $4-6 million for a couple years as a "let's see if this works out" kind of contract. But I don't know if I'm so keen on him getting 4 years or more for that much, or more money than that.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:32 PM
weems

Quote:

I will say that I'm cool with him getting like $4-6 million for a couple years as a "let's see if this works out" kind of contract. But I don't know if I'm so keen on him getting 4 years or more for that much, or more money than that.
I highly doubt anyone's going to give him 4+ years.

If AA doesnt bring him back he better step up and bring in 2 legit starters.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
I highly doubt anyone's going to give him 4+ years.

If AA doesnt bring him back he better step up and bring in 2 legit starters.
If you were AA would you rather guarantee CV a spot and then bring in 1 more arm or would you rather go after 2 arms with a better track record of 200 innings? (not attacking your comment, just honest question) I suspect most people would all do the same thing.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:

I suspect he will get in that 4-6 range and most of his "term" will be in the form of team options. Also I doubt we will guarantee a rotation spot to him, so saying all that I highly doubt he is willing to come back with those terms.

Closed Thread