HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Price of Sticks is Getting Ridiculous

Old
09-03-2012, 09:47 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Read the very last sentence. I have no idea the exact costs, but with some reasoning, arrived at my skeptical response.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
It is ridiculous, I agree. $250 for a composite stick made in china with a cost per unit that's probably 5% of that.

The prices are that high because people keep buying them. I see morning pickup guys that are novices and 50 lbs overweight with Easton RS sticks.

I set my personal limit at $100. I like the lighter weight and whippier response vs. a wood stick and they last me forever. I feel I'm getting value.

How many more goals would I score with an Easton RS vs. an S15? My guess is probably none.
The material cost might be 5%. You need to remember there's overhead, labour, management, depreciation on machinery, leases, design expense, etc.

It adds up.

Yeah, they still get a sizable profit, but please, if you're going to complain about margins go ***** about something like Hermes/LV bags. Stuff made out of leather costs $50,000+.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:15 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
The material cost might be 5%. You need to remember there's overhead, labour, management, depreciation on machinery, leases, design expense, etc.

It adds up.

Yeah, they still get a sizable profit, but please, if you're going to complain about margins go ***** about something like Hermes/LV bags. Stuff made out of leather costs $50,000+.
I have a business degree. I'm well aware of the costs you mentioned. At $250 a stick the margins are ridiculous is my point. Those expenses were still there when sticks cost $20 and were likely higher since they were made in Canada and not China.

This is a hockey board and the topic is about sticks. Margins of other products have no place here.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
santiclaws

I tend to buy very slightly used, high-end sticks. Haven't spent more than a $100 yet. Apparently I don't shoot hard enough because they seem to last forever.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:24 PM
xpat1313x

Send a message via AIM to xpat1313x Send a message via MSN to xpat1313x Send a message via Yahoo to xpat1313x
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Let's say a top end in the states is $250 while one in Canada is $300. 5% base cost price for the manufacturer would be $12.50 and $15.00 respectively.

One of, if not the largest Canadian sporting goods retailers has the retail cost price of top end sticks anywhere in the neighborhood between $170 - $190, most often around $180, which is 60% of regular retail price. Buying constantly and consistently in large quantities from manufacturers for locations coast-to-coast allows for such a price per unit. Don't think these major manufacturers would give 1100% markups to buyers. That's also considering the fact that the retailer buys in bulk, so the cost individually of each stick may be higher than that $180 range.

The cost of industrial carbon fibre is apparently about $10 / lb, roughly translating to about $4.50/kg. Assuming a top end SR stick is 400g (the APX and original U+ CL is about 415g non-grip with the smallest blade) and assuming around 350g of that stick is carbon fibre (I'm excluding any kevlar, resin, foam cores, paint or grip coatings), that material cost alone is still around $1.50, not discounting your argument entirely at the moment.

Now let's add all of the stuff in brackets, cost of labor (still there, even if it's overseas), rent and probably most of all, transport.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no data backing my argument except for the evidence above, but if you have such data to prove me wrong, it would be very welcome.
No data except word of mouth from various vendors. Most of the cost of the sticks goes towards R & D of the products and not the actual manufacturing of said product.

xpat1313x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My guess is, if you look at the "clones" of top brand sticks, the cost of manufacturing and shipping them over here is probably around $50. That doesn't include R&D, manufacturer profit, marketing, warranties, and other costs. I would guess that bumps it up to at least $75-100 for a $200 stick.

The material itself might be $5-10 per stick, but that doesn't include the cost of setting up molds, the machines for production (including upkeep and wear&tear), labor, rent for the factory, packaging, and shipping them overseas.

My guess (completely uneducated) would be that store cost for a stick is around $100-125 for a $200 stick. It might be closer to $150+ for a $225+ stick. That does include all of the above costs including manufacturer's profit.

Retail stores making $50-75 for a top end stick would make sense, and then of course at the end of life they make no money as they blow them out, maybe lose a few bucks as they really need to clear out old stock (like the S17's and SE16's that are still in a few stores).

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
My guess is, if you look at the "clones" of top brand sticks, the cost of manufacturing and shipping them over here is probably around $50. That doesn't include R&D, manufacturer profit, marketing, warranties, and other costs. I would guess that bumps it up to at least $75-100 for a $200 stick.

The material itself might be $5-10 per stick, but that doesn't include the cost of setting up molds, the machines for production (including upkeep and wear&tear), labor, rent for the factory, packaging, and shipping them overseas.

My guess (completely uneducated) would be that store cost for a stick is around $100-125 for a $200 stick. It might be closer to $150+ for a $225+ stick. That does include all of the above costs including manufacturer's profit.

Retail stores making $50-75 for a top end stick would make sense, and then of course at the end of life they make no money as they blow them out, maybe lose a few bucks as they really need to clear out old stock (like the S17's and SE16's that are still in a few stores).
That's pretty much it Jarick

Old
09-05-2012, 03:42 PM
jsykes

Your costs are actually low for the retail prices you quoted. Add about $20 or so dollars to those costs and you're now in the ballpark of actual costs.

Trust me, sticks and high end skates are the last things the shops are actually making money on.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I have a business degree. I'm well aware of the costs you mentioned. At $250 a stick the margins are ridiculous is my point. Those expenses were still there when sticks cost $20 and were likely higher since they were made in Canada and not China.

This is a hockey board and the topic is about sticks. Margins of other products have no place here.
Then you should be aware that $20-$30 a few decades ago is not the same as $20-$30 today. $1 back in the 80's is probably around $3 today.

You should also realize that labour was cheaper, the materials were different, and the machinery involved in production were much simpler (no composite weaving machine etc).

If you factor all of that in, yeah, there'd still be a noticeable increase in margin - but it makes sense because hockey's becoming a much more popular sport.

Old
09-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Then you should be aware that $20-$30 a few decades ago is not the same as $20-$30 today. $1 back in the 80's is probably around $3 today.

You should also realize that labour was cheaper, the materials were different, and the machinery involved in production were much simpler (no composite weaving machine etc).

If you factor all of that in, yeah, there'd still be a noticeable increase in margin - but it makes sense because hockey's becoming a much more popular sport.
Agreed. However I feel the whole margin argument is secondary.

Do $250 sticks make 99% of us better players or provide a good ROI in the points column? I would say probably not.

Buy a $70 or $100 stick and join a gym with the difference=better ROI.

That being said, people can do what they want with their money. If the 40 yr old beginner thats 50 lbs overweight thinks a $250 stick helps him in some way then psychologically I guess his purchase makes sense.

If there is one thing I've learned it's that despite their intelligence, human beings are the most irrational, emotionally driven animals on the planet. Cheese steak with extra cheese and a diet coke.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Do the production costs for a $250 stick really cost 2-3 times that of the production costs for a 100$ stick? That is EXTREMELY unlikely. They are probably using the exact same equipment to make them, just using a different composite mix to pour into the molds. Nothing more. I'd be willing to bet the profit on the high end sticks is ASTRONOMICAL. Especially compared to the $50-100 composites. It's all plastic, foam, and kevlar, when it comes down to it....

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Do the production costs for a $250 stick really cost 2-3 times that of the production costs for a 100$ stick? That is EXTREMELY unlikely. They are probably using the exact same equipment to make them, just using a different composite mix to pour into the molds. Nothing more. I'd be willing to bet the profit on the high end sticks is ASTRONOMICAL. Especially compared to the $50-100 composites. It's all plastic, foam, and kevlar, when it comes down to it....
It's like that with everything.

Cars, apparels, computers, artwork, etc.

Old
09-07-2012, 06:51 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

getting ridiculous?

it has been ridiculous for over a decade

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 04:18 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
getting ridiculous?

it has been ridiculous for over a decade
I was just thinking this actually... I remember the yellow synergy's that were the lightest sticks ever at the time being 300 bucks. Tbh you're getting a lot more bang for your buck now than you were before

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 05:20 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Just wait 'til the high end ones are outdated. I've never paid more than 100 bucks for a stick but have only used the top of the line stuff.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
It's like that with everything.

Cars, apparels, computers, artwork, etc.
Completely agree. The top end model of virtually every product line is "prestige" priced. You aren't getting tangible value there. The people that purchase those products pay more for the psychological "perceived" benefit. I call them suckers, but hey whatever makes them happy.

The value is typically at the mid price point. At the very most go one model down from the top.

Old
09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
factsarefacts

it's amazing what marketing and pro seeding will do for sales of top end sticks to us normal people. not many guys i know get full benefit of playing with a bauer t1 nxg, etc. i wait until last years model goes on close out.

factsarefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Thesensation19

Easton seems to be starting a trend where they make three different sticks for the same.model. The mako came in three differ materials, all differ rpices. Starting w 75 then 110 and then 230. The durability and the weight were all quite similar. The 75 dollar one I bought and its been great. Its lasted me for about 3 months now and been playing regularly. I rather buy three of these...

Mlre companies should do this and they will prob make more money

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 10:06 PM
AIREAYE

The Mako has 5 sticks in its line, not 3.

Old
09-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Easton seems to be starting a trend where they make three different sticks for the same.model. The mako came in three differ materials, all differ rpices. Starting w 75 then 110 and then 230. The durability and the weight were all quite similar. The 75 dollar one I bought and its been great. Its lasted me for about 3 months now and been playing regularly. I rather buy three of these...

Mlre companies should do this and they will prob make more money
The weight of those sticks is definitely not similar... at my shop we sell the M2, M3, and the Mako top of the line one... there is a noticeable weight difference from the M3 to the Mako top of the line stick.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:04 AM
krax

Here's the solution that works for my 13 year old son and me:
We found Bauer One80 wood/hybrid sticks on sale. They cost 130$ around here some years back. We get them for 19$ now. Bought 10 of them for each of us (102 flex for me, 67 for him). Great value, maybe less performant than a 300$ composite, but definitely better than any 200$ composite. We customize them by removing the paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one80_2.jpg‎ (712.8 KB, 27 views)

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:27 AM
CreeksideStrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
composite sticks are not made from a liquid. No pouring involved. Mostly made of graphite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ueMOMW6mw

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 03:33 PM
r3cc0s

Graphite costs alot more than it does Fiberglass

then design plays a role... i.e. flex points, blade materials etc..

that being said, I've used a totalOne, RS, APX from friends and I don't play any better than I do with my Warrior AK27 two piece with a RS blade

I say that though weight is important, balance is more, and anything under 500g's is already quite light

then the blade material for feel and then the kickpoint location for your preference

Do you need to spend $300 on a nexus? No
I prefer to buy 1 to 2 year old sticks, which I know perform well and have a solid reputation

i.e. S19's nowadays for $119

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I'm pretty sure Warrior make really weak sticks, on purpose, just so you spend more money buying more sticks...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:45 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
I'm pretty sure Warrior make really weak sticks, on purpose, just so you spend more money buying more sticks...
That'd be a very stupid thing to do on their part considering how many competitors they have just waiting to snatch up all their loyal customers

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote