HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Red Wings sign Abdelkader, 4 yrs @ $1.7 mill per

Old
09-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
A very polarizing player in Detroit for some reason. I actually have always chalked it up to him being a Spartan until the love Drew Miller got last year. Thought it was mostly U of M fans that hated him up until that point. I know it sounds weird but the hatred from that rivalry is deep. I think that was a factor initially with how quickly some of them turned on him.
Miller is a lot more skilled, though. I think he's closer to a 2nd/3rd line tweener than anything. Abdelkader is a 3rd/4th line tweener.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:43 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
A very polarizing player in Detroit for some reason. I actually have always chalked it up to him being a Spartan until the love Drew Miller got last year. Thought it was mostly U of M fans that hated him up until that point. I know it sounds weird but the hatred from that rivalry is deep. I think that was a factor initially with how quickly some of them turned on him.
Yet Wings fans still hate Miller.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674
According to capgeek the cap hit for Abdelkader is actually $1.8 (not $1.7)

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:03 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
According to capgeek the cap hit for Abdelkader is actually $1.8 (not $1.7)
Not good the guy who runs capgeek is pretty plugged in with the Wings, originally ran one of the Wings prospect web-sites and has a bunch of connections with the organization.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:38 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I feel for Abdelkader. He came up and looked so promising and so tenacious. He seems to have hit a slump as I'm very shocked with Detroit fans and their response... but trust them as they see him a lot more than I do. My initial reaction was - not a bad deal if he continues to grow.

I guess he's really tailed off that badly?
No he hasnt, hes a solid bottom 6 player that can chip 25 points a year, can throw some big hits and will fight a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
He can hit, but not to hurt. He doesn't lay guys out. He just finishes his checks. He isn't particularly good defensively. He has average speed. He's pretty bad at fighting, but still tries.

If a guy is going to be a solid 4th grinder, I want him to be good to very good at one of those things.
See thats the thing, he is a pretty big hitter. If you youtube Abdelkader big hit, he has quite a few on there for his limited time in the league. Not the biggest hitting forward in the league, but definitely a big hitter. Hes also does well in fights when he goes guys in his weight class and not light heavy weights/heavyweights. He can deal with all the pests of the league at least
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Miller is a lot more skilled, though. I think he's closer to a 2nd/3rd line tweener than anything. Abdelkader is a 3rd/4th line tweener.
You hate Abdelkader but like Miller? Abdelkader is more versatile, will throw big hits, fight and had 3 less points. The difference being that Abdelkader was stuck on the fourth line with Emmerton and Homer compared to Miller on the third line with Helm and Cleary usually.

If bdelkader was in Millers wing spot last year he would have outperformed him. But for non wing fans this is a good example of how wings fans can be sometimes. The wings wanna get younger and tougher, but wings fans wanted to get rid of Abdelkader.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 04:45 PM
HTT3*

In comparison, Tootoo got $1.9 million and will likely be in the dog house for a 3rd of the season. Abdelkader is a more complete (and younger) player for less money.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote