HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Price of Sticks is Getting Ridiculous

Old
09-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
I'm pretty sure Warrior make really weak sticks, on purpose, just so you spend more money buying more sticks...
Are you still ******** about breaking your warrior stick against my team 4 seasons ago?

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:25 AM
AIREAYE

I really like what Warrior is making in their sticks. All very reliable. I would put them right beside Bauer as being the highest quality manufacturer.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:32 AM
TRask

Hockey sticks are out of hand now a days lol.
What ever happened to the days of paying $20 for my black and yellow Koho wooden Lemieux edition stick? lol

TRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:44 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I really like what Warrior is making in their sticks. All very reliable. I would put them right beside Bauer as being the highest quality manufacturer.
Have you heard of any history of Sherwood Nexon blades being fragile? I had my snap in half 6 months after I got it on a relatively nothing incident

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:57 AM
AIREAYE

Nope, we don't carry Nexon and I haven't heard of anything.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:26 AM
TieClark

I haven't either and I loved it while I had it... just seemed to break over minor contact and no prior (visible anyways) damage. You should look into picking them up though.. for 175 the Nexon 12 is a steal... a step above the x60's and 9K's yet cheaper

Old
09-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
That'd be a very stupid thing to do on their part considering how many competitors they have just waiting to snatch up all their loyal customers
Warrior sticks, from when I played... Had the strength of, oh I dunno, custard...

When they started out, they were good... But weak as anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Are you still ******** about breaking your warrior stick against my team 4 seasons ago?
And yes, yes I am still ********!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:28 AM
flyers10

I can't justify 250+ on a stick for my skill. I usually look for pro stocks in my preferred flex/pattern for about $100-$150. Just started using the Combat 52cal, @ $136. Super light (415g) and nice pop to it. May change to these for keeping constant flex & pattern.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yeah, I had my DT1's blade stepped on by some guy's skate a few nights ago. Didn't even scratch the thing.

Good thing I was using that and not my RS, otherwise I think I'd be down a twig.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:46 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Warrior did use to make crazy weak sticks

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Exactly, not just me then

Old
09-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

vCash: 50
I've been using my Bauer Supreme Total-One that I got for $60 last year and I still love it, no way am I getting a new stick.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:53 PM
IDuck

only sticks i have ever broken/cracked were rbk and easton, have been using bauer and mostly warrior and not 1 (just knocked on wood)...will take a lot for me to turn my back on warrior and bauer...i will take a warrior AK at $80-$90 over ANY high end rbk/easton...granted its all personal pref.

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Thesensation19

Mako M1- Multi-Rib blade construction, ultra thin taper, 6k Woven Carbon Paddle, Matte coating- $70

Mako M3- Micro- Bladder blade process, multi-rib const, ultra thin taper, 3k Woven Carbon paddle $129

Mako M2- Micro Bladder blade, multi rib const, u.t. taper, 6k woven $100

Mako m5- RTM Blade process, Propeitary Kevlar?Graphite Shaft, 3-Rib blade, Low kick point flex profile, matte coating $179

Mako pro-Kevlar/graphite shaft, non skid blade, micro bladder blade, multi rib, matt coating $230

The same stick design. A durable, advanced stick with white design and light of course.
I bought the $70 stick once, i loved the white design idea and i believe in it. In a fast paced game like hockey a white shaft and blade can hide your stick positioning and release or at least have the goalie stand still a second longer which is always a plus.

I bought the stick cuz i heard it was good and it was $70. I have had it for over 5 months but played with it now for about 3 months (went on vaca for the summer) and its still in great condition. I play competitive hockey and train with it about 2x a week on average. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

The stick is great even though its 70 and as you can see the advancements as you move up the ladder is hardly a difference. I think as I moved up the price, all i would have gotten was a stick a little more durable, a little more kick point and lighter. But its great that Easton is doing stuff like this where they allow you have your cake and eat it to on your own account.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Thesensation19

The mako blade is also one of the best i have ever had simply because I dont even need tape. Its made with some type of material, and this is the $70 stick so im sure its better with the higher priced sticks, that is rough and gives you grip on your puck. Tape usually just gets wet and frictionless during a game or practice.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:20 AM
AIREAYE

You're absolutely right that the value of Easton pricepoints are great. As you go up, sticks are better performing and generally LESS durable due to less and less fibreglass content. The M5 is the exception in this case as it replaces the old STs.

Interesting how you don't use tape at all with your M1, there's not texture on that blade, it's just matte. The Z-Tac on the top-end Mako is gritty, but even then tape would probably be a good idea for the heel and toe at least.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Are the EQ40 sticks any good? They are cheap right now and I need a new stick. Yes I'm broke as hell. They seem really heavy for some reason. Total Hockey even lists it as the same weight as the Nexus 600.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:17 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Are the EQ40 sticks any good? They are cheap right now and I need a new stick. Yes I'm broke as hell. They seem really heavy for some reason. Total Hockey even lists it as the same weight as the Nexus 600.
The EQ line is crap imo... I'm using an EQ20 because I'm broke and my stick broke a few months ago but they all feel heavy and flimsy at the same time to me.

Old
09-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
What price range are you shopping in?

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't know if I can even afford a stick at all but it's $50 now on clearance and I might be tempted at that price, it could at least be a backup.

Otherwise I won't have any cash until basically the end of the season.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:26 PM
howeaboutthat

Speaking of hockey sticks, I noticed this written on a UK based ice hockeyequipment retailers website the other day.

Quote:
ATTENTION - USA & Canada retailers always ship & stock only pro stock (looks identical), which is only made in china with lessor or weaker graphites, prices are lower to reflect this. How do we know? Our stick repair service has highlighted this as most breakages we have are of these poor quality "replicas". Buy only UK to be sure of the quality.
I'm calling BS, designed to try and stop Brits buying cheaper kit from US/Canadiamn retailers.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pro stock sure isn't inferior quality, but it might be made differently per the players' request. They might have thinner and weaker sticks to make them lighter weight.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
Speaking of hockey sticks, I noticed this written on a UK based ice hockeyequipment retailers website the other day.

I'm calling BS, designed to try and stop Brits buying cheaper kit from US/Canadiamn retailers.
May I ask, what site did you get that off?

Just, being British it means I can ignore it myself

Old
09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
May I ask, what site did you get that off?

Just, being British it means I can ignore it myself
Demon Xtreme, not that I'd ever buy anything from them. I buy my equipment from German, Canadian and US retailers. I love 'inferior product'.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:57 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I don't know if I can even afford a stick at all but it's $50 now on clearance and I might be tempted at that price, it could at least be a backup.

Otherwise I won't have any cash until basically the end of the season.
The EQ price points are pretty bad. The 40 feels heavily inferior compared to other 2nd tier sticks, it's more like a mid price-point stick. At that price however, it's a pretty good deal.