HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL Rockford IceHogs/Toledo Walleye/Other Prospects Thread 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2012, 05:30 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
he's back in Sweden, he just hasn't developed

Old
09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
The only downside to the OHL pack is that they don't air games in the US: Saginaw, Plymouth and Erie (I believe). Other than that, it's great. If you have a PVR, it's even better.. every weekend last year I had 3-5 games recorded at once making sure I caught as many Saginaw, Sarnia and London games as possible.

I usually get the Super Sports Pack through Rogers that includes NHL Center Ice, the NFL pack, NBA pack, Nascar and OHL Action Pack. I don't really care for the NFL pack and the NBA pack even less so but it's only 30 bucks a month for everything, so I usually get it when the season starts and then cancell it once the Mem. Cup starts (OHL pack airs playoff games, NHL pack doesn't).

BTW - Alex Broadhurst has a hattrick now. All goals tap-ins as a result of being in the right place at the right time. Also has an assist. A very good debut for him.
I keep waiting for OHL Action Pack to be offered as a single channel - but it hasn't happened yet. I know in years past they've offered it alone closer to the start of the regular, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm assuming they'll have to - at this point I figure no one is rushing out to grab Sports Pack for NHL centre ice

Old
09-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Jussi
Dat Times Square

HIFK beat Jokerit 7-3 yesterday when the SM-liiga season started. No points for Teräväinen. People saying he didn't stand out at all, though Jokerit failed to shine as a team anyway with all the suspensions and injuries before and during the game. Hasn't gelled at all with Pulkkinen so far. Next game for Jokerit isn't until Tuesday.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:03 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Hawks fans, could you shed some light on your former prospect Ludvig Rensfeldt:

1. Why wasn't he signed by the hawks?

2. If still unsigned (not sure on current status), what do you propose the reasons are behind that?

3. What do you think he projects to be?

Thx in advance.

Edit: Just saw the articles about him not being good enough to warrant an ELC and/or about wanting too much money. He also hasn't been signed yet AFAIK. Judging from all the information, it seems he's either a late bloomer or bust. But he is just 20 though so it may be too soon to tell?...
Hawks are loaded with forwards. Rensfeldt would fare much better in an organization with a lesser talent pool. Did not dominate at Sarnia, even being on a team with the first pick in the '12 draft in Yakupov. Reports from fellow posters was Sarnia started Rensfeldt on the fourth line at the beginning of the year despite him being their first round import pick. Dont know what line he ended up on at the end but his numbers while not bad did not dominate like someone like Saad. International numbers appear much better than his CHL numbers. Could be an adjustment problem since last year at Sarnia was his first and only year in NA. Could be he needs a long-er development cycle or maybe hes just not good enough.

Regardless, if he was signed, he would not move out Saad or Morin or others in the top lines at Rockford. The Hawks have contacts with Saad, Morin, Beach, Olesz (lol) as wingers (whether they want them or not... Olesz and maybe Beach). That means Rensfeldt probably would be buried in the bottom 6. Not where you want him to be in the AHL. Besides those slots are already taken by others. May have been a numbers issue.

As far a contracts or salary demands, I have no clue.

Now I'll use hindsight and say if only the Hawks drafted Jon Merrill. LD size and depth problem solved. Thanks Kelly, Halin.

Old
09-14-2012, 09:09 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Rensfeldt was never on the 4th line. He started the year on a line with Ritchie (DAL) and Carnevale (FA). That was Sarnia's 2nd line.

His numbers did improve in the 2nd half of the season, but he really didn't do much to earn a contract outside of being a 2nd round pick. I would've liked to see him signed, but I get why he wasn't. There was a 0% chance he'd make the Hawks over any of Morin, Saad or Beach and depending whether or not Danault or K.Hayes move to LW, he wouldn't make it over them either. Also, as ChiGuy points out, he would have struggled for ice-time in Rockford and there would have been no sense in signing him and sending him back over to Sweden.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

A few prospect notes from the last few days of CHL pre-season action (and Russia).

Maxim Shalunov hasn't been in the lineup for the last 3 MHL games. I don't know if he's injured, benched or suspended. Kostitsyn has signed for Traktor so his route to the KHL is blocked further.

Mark McNeill's contribution in a 4-2 loss on Thursday - goal, assist, fight.

Travis Brown scored a couple of goals for Moose Jaw last night in a 7-1 beating of Brandon.

Phillip Danault scored a pp goal and was dominant at the dot in a 5-3 win.

Brandon Whitney has allowed too many goals for relatively small number of shots faced. 3 goals on 19 shots last night.

Last edited by Hawkster: 09-15-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old
09-15-2012, 07:05 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Great updates as always.

Looking forward to how Brown does this season. Could be another find in the mid rounds. The Hawks definately are in need for prospects at LD.

Its early but I dont see how Whitney was regarded as a top 20 prospect. His career GAA average is below .900.

Old
09-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

What happened with David Phillips?

I only ask, because he was British like me...

Old
09-15-2012, 07:13 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
What happened with David Phillips?

I only ask, because he was British like me...
Currently with the Belfast Giants.

Old
09-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Currently with the Belfast Giants.
Yeah, yeah I know all that...

But why didn't he stay in America?

Old
09-15-2012, 08:44 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Yeah, yeah I know all that...

But why didn't he stay in America?
Philips was a undrafted non-roster player. While being among the top young d prospects in the EIHL, the hurdles for an nrp to stick in NA is large. The way I see it, he could be one among many here in the ECHL which is one step below the AHL or probably be one of the better dmen in the English league. Not many undrafted players make it to the show especially these days. Happens on occasion but its rare. With scouting being much more advanced than say 10 years ago, the team has to be really bad and with a poor scouting staff or theres a huge hole in the prospect pipeline which was the case with Philips. Good enough for the ECHL and maybe the AHL but wouldnt challenge for a roster spot on the Hawks.

Hope hes doing well in the EIHL and hope the league develops more players to challenge NA and Euro prospects.

Old
09-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

thanks for the updates guys, keep em coming

Old
09-15-2012, 02:25 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Great updates as always.

Looking forward to how Brown does this season. Could be another find in the mid rounds. The Hawks definately are in need for prospects at LD.

Its early but I dont see how Whitney was regarded as a top 20 prospect. His career GAA average is below .900.
Because the kid is 6'5" and he's incredibly athletic for someone his size. His NHL-upside is - no pun intended - huge. Of course, at the end of the day for any goaltender it's about stopping the puck, but the potential Whitney possess because of his frame and athletic abilities is very exciting.

Old
09-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Philips was a undrafted non-roster player. While being among the top young d prospects in the EIHL, the hurdles for an nrp to stick in NA is large. The way I see it, he could be one among many here in the ECHL which is one step below the AHL or probably be one of the better dmen in the English league. Not many undrafted players make it to the show especially these days. Happens on occasion but its rare. With scouting being much more advanced than say 10 years ago, the team has to be really bad and with a poor scouting staff or theres a huge hole in the prospect pipeline which was the case with Philips. Good enough for the ECHL and maybe the AHL but wouldnt challenge for a roster spot on the Hawks.

Hope hes doing well in the EIHL and hope the league develops more players to challenge NA and Euro prospects.
Yeah, he's playing some solid D over here...

Just wanted to see what was up with him, thanks

Old
09-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Some more updates.

Chris Calnan's season started with two games this past weekend. He was scoreless in a 4-1 win and had an assist in a 3-2 loss.

Joakim Nordstrom has played 2 elitserien games and has no points (4th line at the moment).

Maxim Shalunov was back in the lineup today for Chelyabinsk's MHL team. He tallied 2 goals and an assist in an 8-2 rout.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:41 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
I'm not familiar with their roster but I have to think Shalunov is looking at a call up this year. Goal machine.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'm not familiar with their roster but I have to think Shalunov is looking at a call up this year. Goal machine.
At this point, I'd think the most limiting factors would be how many NHL players they sign and how long the lockout lasts.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
At this point, I'd think the most limiting factors would be how many NHL players they sign and how long the lockout lasts.
Good point, I didn't consider that. Probably not this year then.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:46 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Shalunov is stuck between a rock and a hard place atm. He's too good for the MHL at this point but would only get 4th line minutes if he were in the KHL. He needs the playing time, but he also needs an upgrade in competition. Really a shame he didn't come to N.A and play in the 'Q' or the 'O'.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Shalunov is stuck between a rock and a hard place atm. He's too good for the MHL at this point but would only get 4th line minutes if he were in the KHL. He needs the playing time, but he also needs an upgrade in competition. Really a shame he didn't come to N.A and play in the 'Q' or the 'O'.
Didn't he have a translator at prospect camp? Maybe he doesn't feel confident enough in his English yet to come over here.

Not that it's a good reason. When it comes to learning a new language, I'd say nothing beats trial by fire.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:25 PM
coldsteelonice84

Makarov was black listed here, better figure it out first.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:24 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

^^ any updates?

Old
09-17-2012, 11:54 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Makarov was black listed here, better figure it out first.
Can you fill me in on the full story w/ him. I know he's in St. Petersburg, no...and was in the ahl for a bit, no?...but didn't pay much attention to him. what was the story?

Old
09-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

4 more points (1+3) for Shalunov today in a 7-3 win.

Teravainen is in action shortly - the puck drops in about 5 minutes.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Can you fill me in on the full story w/ him. I know he's in St. Petersburg, no...and was in the ahl for a bit, no?...but didn't pay much attention to him. what was the story?
Well, in the preseason in 2010-11, he clearly performed well enough to make the team. We had nothing depth wise because of the cap, yet he never got a call up and they chose to keep putting Pisani out there...even Jordan Hendry on wing for a number of games. I think Boynton even played wing for a few games too. It made no sense, but in the preseason they said his English was really poor and apparently it never improved. That was the reason given for him not getting an opportunity. Visnevskiy was teaching him and trainslating for him when he was in camp and I guess Q wasn't comfortable with him on the team because of the communication issue. Similar to Salak, he went down, didn't take it well and didn't perform as well he did in camp.

Closed Thread