HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines at practice

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Hemmer

vCash: 500
Lines at practice

According to the Sun:
"Adam Oates is now centring Raffi Torres and Fernando Pisani, Jarret Stoll is between Ethan Moreau and Radek Dvorak and Shawn Horcoff is on the fourth line with Georges Laraque and Jason Chimera. "

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...2-05-0105.html

Hmm.

Yep. Lines make no sense.

Sigh.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:06 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
According to the Sun:
"Adam Oates is now centring Raffi Torres and Fernando Pisani, Jarret Stoll is between Ethan Moreau and Radek Dvorak and Shawn Horcoff is on the fourth line with Georges Laraque and Jason Chimera. "

Hmm.

Sigh.
...and York centers Smyth and Hemsky. At least Smyth is back where he belongs, and by the sounds of it in the Sun nobody was happier than him. Hurt his brain too much to think like a center.

I'm OK with the 1st and 4th lines, they've at least had some success playing together in the past. The 2nd and 3rd lines? Well, let's just say I really wish we had Isbister and Reasoner back at this point.

I guess the coaching strategy is now 'throw a bunch of crap against the wall and hope some of it sticks'.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:19 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
According to the Sun:

Hmm.

Sigh.
1st and the 4th look good to me...

The Second, Oates with Raffi and Fernando isn't too bad... hopefully Oates can find Raffi for his typical "look at me in front of the net goals", while Fernando never seems to stop working and creates lots of turnovers... it should be interesting to see how that line gels. The Dvorak Moreau Stoll line will at the very least provide great defence and an excellent forcheck, and no doubt a few offensive chances.

Old
12-05-2003, 06:24 AM
Slats432

Well, this goes back to me supporting dawgbone when warranted.

1. Smitty needs to be on wing.
2. Oates is the set up man playing with the guy that has the most goals on the team with the defensive reliable guy on the other side.
3. Stoll has some offensive skill with Moreau digging the puck out of the corners for two guys with decent hands.
4. York, Smyth, Hemsky. Three offensive guys playing together.
5. Horcoff, Chimera, Laraque. Four guys that belong on the fourth line right now.

These lines make more sense than anything I have seen this year.(And when you haven't won for a while, you have to make some changes.)

Old
12-05-2003, 06:28 AM
woody

Quote:
According to the Sun:

Hmm.

Sigh.
I don't mind the lines. His best players lately will play on the top to lines.
Smyth York Hemsky
Moreau Stoll Dvorak

Torres and Pisani have both slowed down, it looks like they will be the 3rd line.(10-12 minutes per games)

Old
12-05-2003, 07:18 AM
Hemmer

Well, after reading some opinions, I can certainly begin to make some sense out of the MacBlender. That said, my POV is that MacT keeps looking for "good combinations" - finds one, then busts it up after a few games of not scoring.

Like Sakic Tanguay and Hejduk never went 3 without a goal or something you know?

We obviously don't have the personnel to make "terrible threesomes", so we should be paying more attention to finding two players that work really well together. I would keep York and Dvo together, replacing Torres with Smyth. I would also keep Moreau and Pisani together.

I like the idea of

Smyth York Dvo
Torres Oates Hemsky
Moreau Stoll Pisani
Chimera Horcoff Laraque

Subtle changes, to be sure. 4th doesn't change from MacT's lineup, although against Pittsburgh, I'd rather see Salmo on 4th line RW instead of BG.

Old
12-05-2003, 07:23 AM
creative giant*

Overall, I don't mind these lines. Chimera and Horcoff had some chemistry at the end of last year (here's hoping they can find it again) and having two finishers (Smyth and York) with Hemsky is a good line.

I would've hoped for a Moreau-Stoll-Pisani line and keeping Dvorak with Torres. But what are you gonna do?

The best thing about these lines is that Smyth is back at Left Wing.

Old
12-05-2003, 08:01 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Subtle changes, to be sure. 4th doesn't change from MacT's lineup, although against Pittsburgh, I'd rather see Salmo on 4th line RW instead of BG.
That'll be tough with Salmo in Toronto and no roster spot to call him up with.

Old
12-05-2003, 08:54 AM
theoil

Quote:
I'd rather see Salmo on 4th line RW instead of BG.
I'd rather see Salmo instead of BG in every game. I have been trying to trade BG for 3 years and I am afraid that his expiration date has now destroyed all value. If you come to this site and read these posts BG and you don't understand why everybody is turning on you allow me to explain.

YOU DON'T HURT ANYBODY!!!!

Winning the fight on points only counts in boxing. In Hockey you only win if you intimidate. You cannot intimidate if you stop hitting the moment the other guy goes down. I am a 5'9" 50 something guy who hasn't been in a fight in over 35 years and I am telling you Georges that I am not afraid to fight you. I am more afraid to fight Cliff Ronning than I am to fight you. And the reason is simple. I know that as soon as you hit me (I'm sure it will hurt) all I have to do is go down and you will stop. This does not scare me at all. I'll come back later in the game and fight you again if it will help my team. I'll let you hit the other side of me. And then I will go down and you will stop.

This habit of stopping when the other guy goes down makes you COMPLETELY USELESS as an enforcer in the NHL. Not kinda, sorta useless. COMPLETELY USELESS. Sorry Georges but that is the truth and it is time somebody told it to you.

Old
12-05-2003, 08:58 AM
elphy101

I must admit although I am not thrilled with the lines. I like them alot more than more of the combinations that come out of the MacT blender.

Old
12-05-2003, 09:38 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

I give these lines...

These lines could work...until midway through the first when pittsburgh goes up 1-0 and MacT fires up the straw pulling to see who plays with who.

On paper they look like they have potential but i just can't see them lasting a full game or more than that.

I still like my lines for when everyone is healthy...

Smyth Oates Isbister
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera Stoll Hemsky

That looks more impressive all around if you ask me but maybe these lines can get us through the upcoming "easy" stretch if MacT gives them a relatively serious opportunity to click.

Old
12-05-2003, 09:45 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle
These lines could work...until midway through the first when pittsburgh goes up 1-0 and MacT fires up the straw pulling to see who plays with who.

On paper they look like they have potential but i just can't see them lasting a full game or more than that.

I still like my lines for when everyone is healthy...

Smyth Oates Isbister
Torres York Dvorak
Moreau Reasoner Pisani
Chimera Stoll Hemsky

That looks more impressive all around if you ask me but maybe these lines can get us through the upcoming "easy" stretch if MacT gives them a relatively serious opportunity to click.
Why would you relegate hemsky to the 4th line?

Old
12-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

after 6 games without a win, i'm pretty open to new lines, they look atleast half decent. smytty on the wing looks good to me. theyve got 2 full days of practice to get used to their new line mates, so they might find chemistry in the game a bit sooner than usual; well atleast until BG and Horcoff play horrible, and they bench them ans start double shifting guys and mixing it up again.

Old
12-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Walsher

I didn't think the line combos were the problem. They have been generating scoring chances like they were going out of style the problem has been a lack of confidence to finish. That said I understand the shake up. In fact I understand MacT's blender all the time. He is trying to shake the team up. He is being proactive rather than reactive. Why wait until the game is out of reach to make changes? Scotty Bowman shook up his lines all the time trying to spark some sort of chemistry and success. The Oilers are the same way. When things were going good they had a constant unit and stuck to it. Now that they are struggling MacT has been forced to move things around looking for that combo that is going to step up to the plate. It is not rocketscience and MacT isn't the first person to change line combo's.

Closed Thread