HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers next captain?

Old
07-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Dineen Youngblood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
You have to wonder, Weiss has been around awhile now. If he was truly captain material, he would've been already.
I agree. But at this point he has a few things going for him to be a real candidate. Not sure how vocal he is, but he sets a good example on the ice. Would also be nice to see him be a little more physical but, eh. Loved watching him score in game 7 to keep us in the game too. That jersey would've looked nice with a C on it.

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:37 PM
KW

I think people would be more accepting of Weiss as captain if he had more toughness to his game. I agree that he can shine in games with his skill, but his lack of physical play keeps him from being the traditional captain, a leader of men willing to go to a fight, to will a win if nothing else is working.

I think Weiss is smart in the same way Selanne or Datsuyk are. They aren't sissies, but they don't really hit, so they get hit less. It's not out of fear, it's out of planning for longevity. Campbell by his own admission is that type of a player too, but he's a step above Weiss in his skill and finesse, and gets away with less physical play better than Weiss does.

Having presented all this critique though, if Weiss were made captain, I'd be ok with it. I'm just trying to guess why KD hasn't given him the C yet.

On the other hand, I don't think we should go to a third season w/o a captain.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
I think people would be more accepting of Weiss as captain if he had more toughness to his game. I agree that he can shine in games with his skill, but his lack of physical play keeps him from being the traditional captain, a leader of men willing to go to a fight, to will a win if nothing else is working.
Yzerman
Lemieux
Gretzky
Lidstrom
Staal
Toews
Koivu
Alfredsson

These guys are all captains or were captains off the top of my head. Not a one of them would be classified as an overly physical player, or players with toughness as a dimension to their game. Being captain isn't necessarily about laying out body checks or fighting dudes.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:34 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Yzerman
Lemieux
Gretzky
Lidstrom
Staal
Toews
Koivu
Alfredsson

These guys are all captains or were captains off the top of my head. Not a one of them would be classified as an overly physical player, or players with toughness as a dimension to their game. Being captain isn't necessarily about laying out body checks or fighting dudes.
You're right, toughness is not the only requirement. But if you have only decent skill (Weiss) but not superior skill (your list, except possibly Staal), you have to make up for it with something, typically toughness. I don't think Weiss belongs on your list there, so I think your comparison falls short.

I'm thinking of a Marleau type of player who is skilled (but not amazingly so) AND tough, who can make things happen with their all around game, who make good captains when Gretzky or Crosby aren't around to save the day. But I can't think of guys like Weiss being named captain almost ever.

Old
07-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Everyone prepare to barf but....Jovo lol. Yes, if it'll be up to the players, it will be him. And it will be a happy day for me.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:57 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Everyone prepare to barf but....Jovo lol. Yes, if it'll be up to the players, it will be him. And it will be a happy day for me.
I predict Jovo will be traded for a washing machine in the near future.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:09 AM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I was actually going to say Jovo, but the length of his contract made me hesitate. If Jovo was here one or two max, he'd be a fine pick given the way things are. Later on it can be Hubie or Guds.

What makes Jovo okay is the fact that he's going to retire. There won't be a captain controversy when he's done.

Old
07-30-2012, 04:09 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I predict Jovo will be traded for a washing machine in the near future.
I predict you are going to be disappointed.

Quote:
I was actually going to say Jovo, but the length of his contract made me hesitate. If Jovo was here one or two max, he'd be a fine pick given the way things are. Later on it can be Hubie or Guds.

What makes Jovo okay is the fact that he's going to retire. There won't be a captain controversy when he's done.
I have my doubts Jovo will finish the contract. I think 1-2 more seasons then he's done. And if it's truly up to the players to decide, they don't care about that stuff.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
You're right, toughness is not the only requirement. But if you have only decent skill (Weiss) but not superior skill (your list, except possibly Staal), you have to make up for it with something, typically toughness. I don't think Weiss belongs on your list there, so I think your comparison falls short.
I'm not saying that Weiss is on the same level talent-wise that these guys are. I'm refuting your point you made earlier that captaincy necessitates physical toughness as a serious dimension of leadership.

Perhaps the argument could be made that if physical element is needed in the case of decent skill instead of exceptional skill (an argument I'm not sure I'd agree or disagree with; I'm open minded to the thought), but if given the time I'm sure I could come up with plenty of decently but not exceptionally skilled captains without that toughness element.

All things being equal, of course, I'd prefer a captain with a physical toughness element. I'd also prefer 4 lines of 3 Peter Forsbergs and 3 pairings of two Ray Bourques, but that's not going to happen now is it?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 12:39 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I'm not saying that Weiss is on the same level talent-wise that these guys are. I'm refuting your point you made earlier that captaincy necessitates physical toughness as a serious dimension of leadership.

Perhaps the argument could be made that if physical element is needed in the case of decent skill instead of exceptional skill (an argument I'm not sure I'd agree or disagree with; I'm open minded to the thought), but if given the time I'm sure I could come up with plenty of decently but not exceptionally skilled captains without that toughness element.

All things being equal, of course, I'd prefer a captain with a physical toughness element. I'd also prefer 4 lines of 3 Peter Forsbergs and 3 pairings of two Ray Bourques, but that's not going to happen now is it?
I wasn't arguing that captaincy NECESSITATES physical toughness. I was arguing that SPECIFICALLY in the case of Weiss, IF he was physically tough in addition to his other decent but not overwhelmingly amazing contributions, he'd already be wearing the C. I'm only postulating that as one reason why he isn't captain. There could be other locker room reasons that I have no clue about. Maybe he's not that outspoken. Maybe he isn't easy enough to get along with. I have no idea about those kinds of issues, I'm only talking of what I see of him on ice.

Old
09-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Campbell for now, Gudbranson for the future.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:50 PM
CatscratchFever
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Campbell for now, Gudbranson for the future.
Perfect.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

IMO it's got to be Weiss! Even Soupy hinted at it. During the Hockey awards ceremony this past month he was asked what led to our success this past season and I remember him atributing it to having a strong leader in the locker room like Stephen Weiss helped them come together faster to have a great start to the season. Those were his words so I'd have to think others on the team feel the same way.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Tyler Durden

Lets have someone set up the vote option with a list of players who have potential to be captain

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Boooooth10

"The good part about our hockey team is we have that quality leadership,'' Dineen told reporters on Friday. "Ed Jovanovski and Stephen Weiss are out there and play such a prominent role on our team and know that players like that will have our team ready to go when the puck gets dropped.''

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...ce=twitterfeed

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Offdapost*
Tetrodotoxin!

i really do think weiss should have the C besides jovo he is the longest tenured and probably the fan favorite

Offdapost* is offline   Reply With Quote