HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NSH matches PHI offer sheet to Weber (14 years, $7.8M)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
One think I'm really curious about. Did weber keep Nashville updated on the offer before it was signed? Cuz logically they could've offered weber 10 mil per season and 10 mil caphit for like 8 years and paid the same(but better distributed) and without that long term stuff. I mean they could continue business as usual as they aren't a cap team(prob helps them with floor) and Weber is not only tradeable(from nashville point of view) but he also isn't tied down to same team forever if he doesn't want. Makes me think weber wasn't open and really had intent to leave cuz it wouldve been better for everyone other way.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The term and lower cap hit are great for Nashville. I'm sure they'd prefer 14x7.8 to 10x8 with the first eight years structured identically.

His agent said Holmgren sent the offer and they signed it. No structure decisions were made by weber. I wouldn't be surprised if he was using Philly to hopefully leverage a deal he wanted out of Nashville (while accepting moving to philly as a distinct possibility given the deals structure). But even if that's the case, he can't exactly refuse to sign Holmgren's offer and ask him to structure it in an easier way for Nashville to match. How transparent would that be...

Old
07-26-2012, 03:30 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
One think I'm really curious about. Did weber keep Nashville updated on the offer before it was signed? Cuz logically they could've offered weber 10 mil per season and 10 mil caphit for like 8 years and paid the same(but better distributed) and without that long term stuff. I mean they could continue business as usual as they aren't a cap team(prob helps them with floor) and Weber is not only tradeable(from nashville point of view) but he also isn't tied down to same team forever if he doesn't want. Makes me think weber wasn't open and really had intent to leave cuz it wouldve been better for everyone other way.
Nashville may not be a cap team this year (though if more moves are made I wouldn't be surprised to see real salary dollars close to what the cap ceiling is), but in a few years when Weber's salary decreases the lower cap hit will be more beneficial.

Also, if they were going to pay him $10m per year over the course of a contract it would have had to have been an 11 year deal to match the money. That's likely what would have had to happen considering Nashville offered $104m before he signed the $110m offer sheet.

I think this is a case of a player knowing he can get a monstrous contract, knowing that the CBA is set to be renegotiated, having no clue what that new CBA will look like, and wanting to maximize everything he could on the contract. Maybe he wanted out of Nashville, but he went about it the wrong way if that's the case.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:45 PM
TSA0402

I don't exactly get this. If Weber had every intent to leave, why would he sign an offer sheet with one year remaining knowing Nashville will probably match it. Now he is signed there for a long, long time.

I think he wanted to get paid, and didn't want to wait a year to do it.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:52 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I don't exactly get this. If Weber had every intent to leave, why would he sign an offer sheet with one year remaining knowing Nashville will probably match it. Now he is signed there for a long, long time.

I think he wanted to get paid, and didn't want to wait a year to do it.
The only source anyone has to prove Weber's intent to leave would be his agent, and we're talking about a guy who lied on his bio on his agency's website. Weber, himself, said that he doesn't know where that came from, and that it must have been the agent's opinion because it was not his own (poor representation, maybe, or Weber just trying to play it down. Either way I wouldn't be surprised).

And for anyone who is wondering how the agent lied on his bio...

Quote:
Jarrett Bousquet B.SC. KIN is an integral part of Titan Sports Management with several different dimensions of expertise that he brings to the business. Jarrett is based in Calgary and his main duties include evaluating talent, player development as well as being involved in contract negotiations. Jarrett has a wide variety of playing experience that includes five years in the Western Hockey League. While playing for the Kamloops Blazers, Jarrett was fortunate to reach the Memorial Cup two times and was a member of their championship team in 1992. Jarrett has played at all levels professionally and internationally. He also received his Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology while playing for the Dinosaurs at the University of Calgary.
Yeah... he played in the juniors, he played in college in Calgary, and the only professional play on his resume was for a ****** German league. All levels "professionally and internationally" my ass.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I really believe Weber had no preconceived notion about what he would sign. He simply threw the doors open and said "give me your best shot"... after talking with several teams, Philly had the best offer on the table, so he went for a visit, to make sure he liked it should the Preds not match, and then signed.

I believe he always expected the Preds to match, and in fact he hoped they would, because that would be proof that they werent lying when they told him they were committed to winning.... The offer sheet route was just his way of making sure he got absolute maximum dollars, with a safe landing spot in Philly if the Preds didnt step up...

Old
07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's not really the case.

Consider the possibility that with the new CBA, the players accept a 20% rollback to their annual salaries (number chosen just for illustration).

There's a high likelihood that signing bonuses wouldn't be impacted by salary rollbacks (I don't believe that they were originally, but I have to check that). With the contract Weber signed, it included $68 million in signing bonuses. Those first four years have a salary of $1 million per, plus a $13 million signing bonus. After a 20% rollback of annual salary, Weber goes from $14 million to $13.8 million. If it was straight salary, it would have gone from $14 million to $11.2 million. Quite a bit of difference, no? Especially when considered for the life of the contract.

It was a great business decision by Weber to sign that heavy signing bonus-laden contract. It's not a contract that I believe that Poile would have ever offered. The offer sheet path was the only way that Weber would have gotten the most protection of his salary with the new CBA coming. It took leverage away from Poile and allowed Weber to essentially choose another location that he would be happy playing many years if it might not be in Nashville. Just a great business decision.

Now, anyone that believes that Nashville would trade Weber after one year is off their rocker. You will not see a financially smart franchise like Nashville spend $27 million on a player they would only have for one year. That's absolutely not going to happen. It's just not.

Old
07-26-2012, 08:30 PM
GTopCheese

People are still talking about this? Sheesh. I was over it within a few hours of it happening.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:10 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
People are still talking about this? Sheesh. I was over it within a few hours of it happening.
I dunno, it's a pretty big deal. I'm sure we'd be talking about the "midnight decision" to match tonight if not.

Old
07-28-2012, 09:51 AM
maplepred

Do you think shea can finally get recognition he deserves in nashville and win a norris like he had been robbed of in past years?

Old
07-28-2012, 10:55 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If Weber doesn't get a Norris in the next 14 years either he suffered a devastating injury, or the bias against smaller markets will be made obvious.

And this is not an invitation to turn this into a Karlsson thread... so don't do it.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:09 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If Weber doesn't get a Norris in the next 14 years either he suffered a devastating injury, or the bias against smaller markets will be made obvious.

And this is not an invitation to turn this into a Karlsson thread... so don't do it.
He should've won it 2 years ago, Lidstrom won it cause everyone thought he was retiring IMO. They wanted to celebrate a legend. This year was tougher, Karlsson put up ridiculous # with Ottawa. 78 points is real good for a forward, and Karlsson is not a forward so it makes it even more impressive.

I think he should've won it this year too though. Overall he is superior, but Norris is so ****ing based on point totals that it is crazy. If your the best D in the neutral and defensive zone and you ''only'' put up 30-40 points you're not gonna win it.

It's so inflated by point totals (which is retarded) even though it's a trophy that goes out to D-men and not forwards.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Looks like Flyers did the Preds a huge favor and allowed them to lock up Weber for 14 years. I'm not so sure Weber would've stayed around once he became a UFA. Merely speculation on my part, of course.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:34 AM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Looks like Flyers did the Preds a huge favor and allowed them to lock up Weber for 14 years. I'm not so sure Weber would've stayed around once he became a UFA. Merely speculation on my part, of course.
I was thinking the same. But if Weber truly wants out he can request a trade and get traded (gotta wait 1 year after Nashville matched though due to rules etc) but it could still happen.

I'd be very happy for Nashville if Weber stays there longterm and don't want out. And if he does want out I pray to god that my favourite D doesn't get traded to Philadelphia.

I almost feel like Weber got to win the cup in Nashville to win the Norris, which is unfair. He's deserved it the last 2 years IMO, especially the last one Lidstrom won.

Feels like he gets appreciated in Nashville but he doesn't get enough praise (no Norris) although he deserves it. Dunno why, small market team, maybe that's why?

Old
07-28-2012, 11:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Why do people think Nashville wouldnt of matched a 1 year offersheet? People say oh the Flyers should of offered a 1 year offersheet.
They did, Weber wouldnt sign it.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:52 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Speaking of Karlson, do you really think...

Kidding.

Before I bestow the Norris on Shea, i wpuld like to see him play one season without Suter. not saying he won't be Norris worthy, just want to see at least that one season.

Old
07-28-2012, 11:57 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
I almost feel like Weber got to win the cup in Nashville to win the Norris, which is unfair. He's deserved it the last 2 years IMO, especially the last one Lidstrom won.
He would have to win the Norris the year after the Cup win, though, since voting is done before the playoffs are over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Why do people think Nashville wouldnt of matched a 1 year offersheet? People say oh the Flyers should of offered a 1 year offersheet.
Did they? I said all along that he wouldn't sign a one year deal. Is there a link to prove they did offer a single year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post

Kidding.

Before I bestow the Norris on Shea, i wpuld like to see him play one season without Suter. not saying he won't be Norris worthy, just want to see at least that one season.
I want to see him play without Suter but with a competent defenseman. The only times we have seen him without Suter (since they became the top pairing) he has been paired with the likes of Bouillon and O'Brien. Not exactly guys you want eating minutes on the top pairing, and neither of them are good at handling the puck. I think with Josi he won't miss a step. He might play better since Josi is more offensively inclined than Suter.

Old
07-28-2012, 12:06 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post

Kidding.

I think Suter would miss Weber more than Weber would miss Suter IMO.

Both great d's though.

Old
07-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
I think Suter would miss Weber more than Weber would miss Suter IMO.

Both great d's though.
I think you may be right. But Suter did have to cover for Weber a lot, so it could go either way. I hear they even put a huge banner up of Weber on Bridgestone Arena, or something like that.

Old
07-28-2012, 08:40 PM
maplepred

I think webers mind is at ease now with the contract stuff figured out and him and rinne locked up long term in nashville
I think weber knows what he has to do and will lead predators as their captain and prove he is better off without suter then suter without him

Weber is large, modern day future HOF'er

Old
07-28-2012, 08:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
weber would have never signed a one year deal. this was all done to get a maximized contract.

that said, I cannot imagine Philly ever even offered a one year deal... you don't cough up 4 first rounders for one year of any player...

Old
07-28-2012, 09:14 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
The 1-year thing was more of a dilemma among GM's. If all of them stuck to offering it that way with a fat salary (say, $10M) then there's a likelihood that Weber would've signed it and forced NSH to match, not only giving him a good payday for the season but also granting him UFA status in the following. But naturally once he did hit UFA no GM would be guaranteed of his services. And there would be the "risk" of Weber choosing to sign with Nashville for a longer term.

On the other hand they could gamble on the Predator's ability to sustain a large cash loss in the first couple seasons and Weber's want for long-term security. With the lockout pending that probably seemed like a more likely way to land Weber, exemplified by Holmgren's offer sheet.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

Quote:
Giving up 4 1sts for only 1 guaranteed year of Weber would not be very wise.

When you stretch it to 14 years it is much easier to take.

Either way there's probably no number that Nashville wouldn't have matched for only a single year.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:57 AM
maplepred

I got a feeling weber makes josi's stock rise quite a bit after bring paired with him most of coming season

Old
09-15-2012, 05:14 PM
boredmale

Just out of curiosity if the lockout doesn't end say till Aug 2013, does Weber miss out on his signing bonus that I believe he is supposed to receive on july 1?

Closed Thread