HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVI All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405254

A pile of guys on waivers. I assume it's so they can go to the AHL during the lock out. That's how we lost Hainey and/or Beauchemin in 04-05 I believe. Wonder if we'll claim anybody? Boychuk? Butler?

Old
09-14-2012, 02:23 PM
sheed36

Red Wings' Henrik Zetterberg: Players ready for a 'fight' with Gary Bettman, NHL

http://www.freep.com/article/2012091...ws|text|Sports

Quote:
Asked about the prospect of losing another entire season, Zetterberg slammed commissioner Gary Bettman.

"That would not be fun," Zetterberg said. "But if that's what it takes, that's what it's going to take. I think we did enough last time, in '04. Basically, we gave them everything they wanted, and one of the reasons we did that was that we didn't want to be in this situation again, and here we are again.

"It's the third lockout in I don't know how many years now. Ever since Bettman came into the league offices, that's been his way to handle the stuff. That's not a fun thing, but that's how he approached this. We've been ready. We're ready to have a fight here."
Yeah Hank it won't be fun for anyone.. The players will lose a full year of salary and at the end of the day the owners will still come out on top just like they did in 2004.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Red Wings' Henrik Zetterberg: Players ready for a 'fight' with Gary Bettman, NHL

Yeah Hank it won't be fun for anyone.. The players will lose a full year of salary and at the end of the day the owners will still come out on top just like they did in 2004.
They try and make Bettman look like the bad guy, but it was their lack of any interest in a hard cap that caused the lock out. It turned out that they still got paid even with a cap.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:

It was thought at the time that the owners really stuck it to the players...but today we see that the players made out pretty well with the last CBA.

Personally, even as a DIE HARD hockey fan, i'm surpringly apathetic to the prospect of a potential lockout. It's what, the 3rd lockout since I've started watching hockey?

wake me up when these billionaires are done fighting these millionaires...

Old
09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It was thought at the time that the owners really stuck it to the players...but today we see that the players made out pretty well with the last CBA.

Personally, even as a DIE HARD hockey fan, i'm surpringly apathetic to the prospect of a potential lockout. It's what, the 3rd lockout since I've started watching hockey?

wake me up when these billionaires are done fighting these millionaires...
After missing the entire season the last time I surprisingly discovered that I didn't miss hockey nearly as much as I thought I would. If both sides wanna miss another year or 2 over their greediness then go ahead. I'll just find something else to do and watch just like last time.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
After missing the entire season the last time I surprisingly discovered that I didn't miss hockey nearly as much as I thought I would. If both sides wanna miss another year or 2 over their greediness then go ahead. I'll just find something else to do and watch just like last time.
Without polling all of North America's hockey fans...i'm starting to suspect it's the attitude of a majority of fans. 4 lockouts in 20 years or so, is unnacceptable and I think the effects will be larger then they anticipate this time around.

I saw a report that said since 1981 the NHL has lost over 1800 games due to labour strife, which is more games then all of the other 3 major sports combined (NFL, MLB & NBA).

Old
09-14-2012, 03:54 PM
habitue*

According to RDS, AK just signed with a KHL team a one-year contract.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:01 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Without polling all of North America's hockey fans...i'm starting to suspect it's the attitude of a majority of fans. 4 lockouts in 20 years or so, is unnacceptable and I think the effects will be larger then they anticipate this time around.

I saw a report that said since 1981 the NHL has lost over 1800 games due to labour strife, which is more games then all of the other 3 major sports combined (NFL, MLB & NBA).
Agreed.. I think Canadians would still support their teams for the most part if there was a lockout.. It's the teams in the US where they're trying to build the game in lesser hockey markets that might suffer if there's another lockout..

Sadly the worst part if there's another lockout isn't about the owners or players.. It's to the bars, restaurants and other spinoff jobs that depend on the NHL to bring customers to their premises and the arena employee's that will be out of work. It's sad when people that depend on these jobs to live have to lose them because a bunch of greedy billionaires and millionaires can't work **** out. They are the forgotten people in all of this.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:16 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Agreed.. I think Canadians would still support their teams for the most part if there was a lockout.. It's the teams in the US where they're trying to build the game in lesser hockey markets that might suffer if there's another lockout..

Sadly the worst part if there's another lockout isn't about the owners or players.. It's to the bars, restaurants and other spinoff jobs that depend on the NHL to bring customers to their premises and the arena employee's that will be out of work. It's sad when people that depend on these jobs to live have to lose them because a bunch of greedy billionaires and millionaires can't work **** out. They are the forgotten people in all of this.
Please, whatever money fans don't spend on hockey they'll end up spending on something else.

Old
09-14-2012, 05:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Please, whatever money fans don't spend on hockey they'll end up spending on something else.
That's the same kind of attitude that keeps the economic recovery from happening at a faster rate.

That may be the case for some people, but it isn't the case for just as many. A lot of people these days are focused hard on paying down debt for instance, others will put more money away. If they do spend their money, who says it is going to be spent on something that spurs the local economy? Spending 500$ over the course of the season in a local bar to watch hockey has a more positive effect on the local economy than buying a 500$ made-in-china TV at Wal-Mart, for instance.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
So one week NHL approves three contracts with a total worth of 306 Millions, and a few weeks later we are to believe that NHL is in such a bad financial state they rather close shop than honour signed contracts?
Some businessmen, huh?!
Lol WTF indeed!

The only reason we have this conversation is because the owner need help to protect them from themselves, and NHL has decided it wants to run franchises in non-profitable locations.

And yes, a lot of the contracts signed include ridiculous money, but should the players turn them down for some "greater good"? Would you!?
Give me a break.

NHLPA had an option to extend the current CBA over 2011-2012 which they did, why shouldnt they?
On the other hand, the players has offered to keep on playing under the current CBA until a new one is signed, which the owners of course nixed.
Truth is, they are in the same boat and they both refuse to row.

Sharing profit?
Define Profit then.
Doesn't take much of an accountant to make sure no team in the entire NHL make no profit at all from here to eternity.
What's there to share then?
#1, Some teams can afford it.
#2, Some teams are desperate. Wild had to make a splash to sell tickets, no playoffs, no tickets and they were losing money, they took a gamble.

Quote:
en∑tre∑pre∑neur
   [ahn-truh-pruh-nur, -noor; Fr. ahn-truh-pruh-núr] Show IPA noun, plural en∑tre∑pre∑neurs  [-nurz, -noorz; Fr. -núr] Show IPA, verb

noun
a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, especially a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk.
A businessman doing business! oh no! The problem is some teams could afford to pay players like that and in turn the smaller market teams need to match that in order to keep up. That simple. Just like habs need to overpay free agents, it's part of the game. We could afford it, others can't but have no choice.

Maybe the owners do need protection from themselves but the argument here is some big market teams set the market and smaller teams can't keep up. The only way to set it straight is to fix the mistake. Sure, it's backwards thinking but what do you suggest? Letting small market teams suffer and collapse? That won't help NHLPA either.

When did I say players should reject them? Big contracts aside, the cap is too high either way. It went up 50% since last CBA, that's moronic. All I said players go from humble to greedy pretty quickly.

What are you talking about? Bettman wanted to talk a year ago, players didn't want. They extended the CBA as they had the option, who's saying thats a bad thing? Even Bettman said it was only fair as the option was around and they exercised it. There is no law saying they have to play under current CBA. It was all a tactic. They waited last minute and now are throwing out 'we'll play under current CBA'. They had a ****ing year!!!! I don't get it. They are getting paid 57%!! No **** they want same CBA. They just want money and wanted to play this card. Which player doesn't want to play under current CBA? Guys on 2nd contract make 6 mil or more. Yeah, I bet the players are making a sacrifice there. Again, NHL said they wanted to talk a year ago. Twist it however you like, the players didn't want as they want current CBA and knew they were killing it with 57%. They stalled for pressure and to throw this PR card. Why are falling for something so blatantly obvious?

Again, I said if no one cheats it. Unfortunately, we know that's very unlikely. My point was this though, the revenues in the NHL are not a good measuring stick. The NHL has more equipment costs and maintenance than other sports. Really, football plays 16 games a year, hockey is 82. So hockey is preped for 82 games and they make X revenue, you better believe that having 5 times the games in a sport that has ice condition requirements has a boatload more of expense too. Why share 50/50? Football doesn't even get that.

As long as it's based on revenues, the NHL will always lose. Unless they manage to reduce the revenue % to 45-50 for players the players might as well realize they aren't helping the league. If canadian dollar goes down, the league is screwed and revenues will drop so low the players will make jack ****. It's in their best interest to make sure OTHER teams can carry themselves.

Old
09-15-2012, 01:53 AM
bsl

On the lockout, it seems clear to me. It boils down to one thing:

Are the players willing to miss two seasons.

This is the only important question. And while you read this, remember I have no support for the idiotic billionaire owners in this league, most of whom haven't done a day of work in years, and inherited their wealth, or survive on massive credit. Anyone who respect billionaires in our society today is naive at best.

Fehr had better ask the players this question. There are then 2 possibilities:

1. The players say no, one season max. If that is the case Fehr should tell them that they will have no power next summer, and it is better to get the best deal possible now.

By the way, this is where Bob Goodenow ****ed up so badly last time. He did not ask the players how much time they were willing to lose, and thus had no clear position with the NHL. The guy was an idiot. We lost a year of hockey for nothing because of him.

2. The players say yes, we will sit out two years. If this is the case, Fehr goes to Buttman right now and tells him it's a guaranteed two year loss, for the owners of Habs, Leafs, Rags, Phlyers, Pens...all the money making teams. You will then see the NHL act, now.

This is the only question that needs to be asked of the players: One year, ore two?

Fehr better ****ing well ask it. If he does, we have hockey in October or November. If he does not, we miss a year.

It is totally, completely up to Fehr now. Mark my words. I will save this post. If we miss a year, the fault is now 100% Fehr's. 100%.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Anyone who respect billionaires in our society today is naive at best.
Still can't decide if that sentence is suppose to be taken seriously or as a joke.

Really confused right now.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:52 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Still can't decide if that sentence is suppose to be taken seriously or as a joke.

Really confused right now.
I guess he thinks the millionaire players are the salt of the earth people.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:44 AM
sheed36

Lucic extended for 3 years, 18 million (6M cap hit)

Old
09-15-2012, 10:23 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Lucic extended for 3 years, 18 million (6M cap hit)
Excellent contract for Boston.

Old
09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Excellent contract for Boston.
Maybe it's just me but I really don't think he is anything more than a 5 million dollar player per year which I find is already a lot. Not even close to 6 but that's my opinion

Old
09-15-2012, 01:52 PM
habtastic

Just wondering, wasn't it Fehr who led the MLB lockout in 94 that arguably cost us a championship?

I get that playing hardball comes from a baseball background, but for all the "good" he does for his PAs, I'm not really warming up to him. He seems to not want to negotiate as much as, yes, Bettman does. Of course, that gives him the upper hand, but for us fans, I think he cares even less that Bettman who gets booed to no end EVERYWHERE!

Old
09-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Maybe it's just me but I really don't think he is anything more than a 5 million dollar player per year which I find is already a lot. Not even close to 6 but that's my opinion
after the lockout ,it likely won't be 6 million

Old
09-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Just wondering, wasn't it Fehr who led the MLB lockout in 94 that arguably cost us a championship?

I get that playing hardball comes from a baseball background, but for all the "good" he does for his PAs, I'm not really warming up to him. He seems to not want to negotiate as much as, yes, Bettman does. Of course, that gives him the upper hand, but for us fans, I think he cares even less that Bettman who gets booed to no end EVERYWHERE!
On the other hand the players are the only ones that seem to be focused on the NHL's real problem, the gulf in revenue between the rich teams and the poor ones.

There's no way the league brings player salaries down to the level that Phoenix etc. are making money in the current system. That would cut salaries almost in half and probably make the KHL the best league in the world.

The only way the league can have 30 (well, realistically 25ish, you're always going to have a few dudes) is to massively increase revenue sharing or abandon the idea of spending parity and remove the cap floor.

Old
09-15-2012, 03:23 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

6mil for Lucy AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA watch him score 15.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Andy

Lucic is a fantastic hockey player.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:58 PM

18/3 is fair for a true power forward who can fight very well and get seasons of 30 goals 60 points.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Lucic is a fantastic hockey player.
I'm not sure if he's a consistent 30 goal scorer though, but that kind of money isn't insane for a 20+ g true power forward.

Old
09-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'm not sure if he's a consistent 30 goal scorer though, but that kind of money isn't insane for a 20+ g true power forward.
Its fair money. Lucic is pretty unique at what he does. So much so that people keep talking about looking for the next Lucic in every draft since his breakout.

Closed Thread