HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Moving to the West Valley

Old
09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Right now, I'm driving a 2001 Chevy Malibu with about 121k miles on it. I'm sure it will be just fine in the valley, I mean I just got a radiator flush, I'm getting new tires, etc. But in the long run, I would like something a bit different. I'm a big fan of the Prius, as it's not too expensive and it does get good gas mileage as long as you don't gun the gas pedal.

I've just had so many problems with the Malibu. For instance, there was 1 morning I drove to Maverick to get a Monster Rehab, and I shut the car off, went inside, and when I went back outside my car wouldn't start. When I towed it to the repair shop, it started up just fine for them, and that was that. It happened 2 times in the past 4 months. It's just something I don't want to have to worry about happening when I'm all on my own.

But I need to budget before I can look at getting a new car. Maybe I'll just keep saving up money.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the car, and what was your down payment on it? Bigger down payment would lessen the monthly payments right? Do car companies offer a certain period of time to pay it off, like 24 months, or you can extend it further to lessen the payments? I really haven't looked into what all goes on with buying a car. I much prefer not go through a dealership, they are a bunch of blood sucking vampires!!
2.9% interest, so I didn't bother with a down payment. I will have to check on the actual price.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:25 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Prius, as it's not too expensive and it does get good gas mileage as long as you don't gun the gas pedal.
I love my Prius. 50mpg when the weather is nice outside, 46mpg when it's particularly warm or cold. Reliable, comfortable, and surprisingly roomy for what looks like a small car from the outside.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
True, but my car is long beyond the warranty, so that doesn't really help me with my situation. Thankfully, where I'll be moving too is right next door to work, so if I had to, I could bike to work, or jog to work. It's not very attractive to the ladies to be drenched in sweat, but you gotta do what you gotta do lol.

Most warranties are 60,000 miles, 6 years or something right? That's what I think I remember hearing on the commercials. Can you pay for a longer warranty? I do agree, warranty is amazing when you get a car. I did have a part go bad on my malibu, that was very expensive, but warranty covered it. It's like health insurance. You get what you pay for. I had a root canal done, but my insurance paid everything, I just had to pay the copay.
Most cars have a standard 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warrenty and you can extend the warrenty for a fee but as the car gets older and/or more miles to put on the limited the warrenty is. Hyndai usually has the best one with 5 year 60,000 and 10 years 100,000 powertrain. Some new gadets have maintence for life but ususly the price of the toy is way too high and if you miss a scheduled maintence work you lose that benefit from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I love my Prius. 50mpg when the weather is nice outside, 46mpg when it's particularly warm or cold. Reliable, comfortable, and surprisingly roomy for what looks like a small car from the outside.
Yuck! As much as I hate the high gas prices, I don't want to drive a death trap.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:22 PM
doaner

A death trap would be more of a dumb car or the fiat 500

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:41 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Meh, the Elantra may weigh eleven pounds but **** is chock full of air bags and crumple zones.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:52 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Thank you for making me want to get one even more now!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
A death trap would be more of a dumb car or the fiat 500
Oh this piece of ****!!!

I wouldn't want to drive this either.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:41 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I haven't heard or seen anything that would make me consider the Prius a "death trap." Air bags everywhere, lot of space in the crumple zone. Death trap is a Geo metro, a Ford Pinto, etc.

Even the Smart Cars have lots of technology that makes them safer than one would assume based only upon size.

When you get in an accident with a behemoth truck or SUV, just about any smaller vehicle could be considered a death trap. Perhaps with the issues about oil and gas prices, more people should consider driving what they need rather than getting something huge. I do understand needing a larger vehicle - but so many of the people I know who drive these large vehicles don't use them for anything other than commuting to work. If you drive a huge truck and tell me that you need it because you have to be able to "move stuff" and put huge loads in the back but your entire truck (including the bed) is in pristine condition, I don't think you're driving it b/c you are using the hauling capabilities...

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote