HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Toni Rajala - Luleå HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Old
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
oilWILDcountry

vCash: 500
I thought the guy above said he likes to hit?

Anyways, his development has definately stalled and is pretty much an after thought in Oil country. He could be traded at this point because I don't see an NHL future for him with the Oilers.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:19 AM
FinProspects

Rajala is a mystery to me nowadays. I saw his game against Jokerit, scored 2+1, was just plain awesome for whole match, looked very much like Gaborik. Then I check his point totals this season, about 0,4-0,5points per game..wtf? He should be tearing the league with his skill level..

So the conclusion is the same as it has been for 2-3 years for him.. The biggest problem is his head. He stays in the perimeter, shies away from the traffic like no one else, his attitude towards training isnt the best possible (so ive heard).. it seems that he really fears any contact, unlike Granlund who is about Rajala´s size.

He seems to be another Jesse Niinimäki-type of a player for Ilves.

FinProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:36 AM
M3ntalpr0
Neutral fan

I dont know if anyone expected Rajala to be "the next finnish superstar" when he was drafted. Sure he broke Ovechkin's u18 tournament point record, but wasnt he playing with Granlund and Pulkkinen at the time? He has skill and understands the offensive game, but is still too light. He has to bulk up and take his game towards the net more. He circles too much in the outside and is not being effective.

Everyone expected late first round or early 2nd round, but he was drafted in the 4th round by Edmonton - that pretty much explains it. It was well known what he needs to improve on and how much time its going to take.

This guy can be a very good player in, lets say, 2-4 years. But for now, best for him is to stay in FEL and play there until weight isnt the issue anymore.

M3ntalpr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
Rajala is a mystery to me nowadays. I saw his game against Jokerit, scored 2+1, was just plain awesome for whole match, looked very much like Gaborik. Then I check his point totals this season, about 0,4-0,5points per game..wtf? He should be tearing the league with his skill level..

So the conclusion is the same as it has been for 2-3 years for him.. The biggest problem is his head. He stays in the perimeter, shies away from the traffic like no one else, his attitude towards training isnt the best possible (so ive heard).. it seems that he really fears any contact, unlike Granlund who is about Rajala´s size.

He seems to be another Jesse Niinimäki-type of a player for Ilves.

yes. too bad. he should have all the tools to be a dominant player in fel. in that jokerit game he showed some brilliace. it made me think...if he just could keep it up but then he disappears again...

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:43 AM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebl View Post
He fears physical plays
This, Rajala when he sees that he is about to get hit:

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:59 PM
seafoam
Halcyon Days

vCash: 50
Is this kid going to ever be an NHL regular?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
bsmith14

doubt it, at least not with edmonton. his size is an issue, he plays the perimeter too much and is afraid to get hit. his offensive skills are ok but not worldly to overcome the deficiences i have mentioned. he will notch out a nice career for himself in finland or maybe even the khl in his prime. not a bad thing though, kid gets to play hockey for a living

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

He's yet to make a big impact in Finland yet...

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
Oh man he was hyped back in the day. Well, he could pull together a nice career in Europe. I don't see him in NHL, though.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 08-13-2012 at 08:38 AM.
InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:03 AM
mattihp

He is still VERY young. It's not like he is a Jesse Niinimäki. With the right coaching he could very well change his playing style to the better.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
wings5

Did he at least grow at all?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 08:34 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Did he at least grow at all?
178cm and 74kg on Eliteprospects. So not much.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
He is still VERY young. It's not like he is a Jesse Niinimäki. With the right coaching he could very well change his playing style to the better.
Actually the Ilves fans at Jakoaika have been saying that he's got some same tendencies, mostly regarding the lack of interest in weight training. The Jesse Niinimäki of today's got a much better attitude by all accounts.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
ranford4life

Anyone have any idea where Rajala is playing this season? He's not listed on the Ilves roster on their website and EliteProspects has no new contract details. Has anyone heard anything?

ranford4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranford4life View Post
Anyone have any idea where Rajala is playing this season?
According to Aamulehti, Tampere based newspaper, he is starting the season in AHL.

In Ilves he could be fitted to first line with Marjamäki and Niinimäki, if Niinimäki is positioned in center. That would be a very strong line with good D´s Koistinen and Jokipakka and Rajala could be able to play in a role, that fitts for him.
But the negative side with Ilves is the playbook(playbook is out of date) and overall offensive lineup.

There have been some criticism about the style Rajala plays. I dont think he needs to change the style he plays. He just needs to become more effective with the puck. There are many good players, who play like Rajala, but they are much more effective.

Last edited by Ihmeilja: 09-16-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:16 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Rajala is so far down the depth chart for the Oilers now, i would be surprised if he ever makes the team or the NHL for that matter.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Bryanbryoil

I'm not going to lie, unless he's much better than he was at the last camp that he came to he won't be making our AHL squad who will be adding Eberle and RNH.

09-16-2012, 06:21 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
Rajala is so far down the depth chart for the Oilers now, i would be surprised if he ever makes the team or the NHL for that matter.
I wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself in ECHL very soon.

Then back to Europe because opponents hit hard in NA

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:57 AM
M3ntalpr0
Neutral fan

This thread is actually quite funny. Some people saying that he is going to score PPG in FEL after his draft year and then jump to NHL.

People expected him to go in the 1st or 2nd round. Now the teams that thought about the gamble must be pretty happy that they didnt take him. But why did the Oilers draft him anyways. Like the worst team he could've been drafted to. No way he makes the roster.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:05 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
This thread is actually quite funny. Some people saying that he is going to score PPG in FEL after his draft year and then jump to NHL.

People expected him to go in the 1st or 2nd round. Now the teams that thought about the gamble must be pretty happy that they didnt take him. But why did the Oilers draft him anyways. Like the worst team he could've been drafted to. No way he makes the roster.
Oilers drafted him because a 4th round pick was roughly his worth at the time. He's always had a lot of potential but right now he seems like a very very likely bust (you can call him that imo with the amount of hype around him at a young age). That happens. I hope he develops into a good khl player because sometimes he can very entertaining to watch, such slick hands and skating, but sadly, low intensity level and physically built like a junior.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:23 AM
M3ntalpr0
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Oilers drafted him because a 4th round pick was roughly his worth at the time. He's always had a lot of potential but right now he seems like a very very likely bust (you can call him that imo with the amount of hype around him at a young age). That happens. I hope he develops into a good khl player because sometimes he can very entertaining to watch, such slick hands and skating, but sadly, low intensity level and physically built like a junior.
Scouts knew that he was a big gamble but still i remember people here speculating if he could go in the 1st round and then when he fell to 4th it was quite a shock.

Rajala is the perfect example of a skilled offensive forward that just wont make it in the NHL. You can always bulk up, but for Rajala its going to take too much time. His biggest problem is that he avoids the dirty areas. That and his size - there you go. Bust.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Zamuz

Quote:
Scouts knew that he was a big gamble but still i remember people here speculating if he could go in the 1st round and then when he fell to 4th it was quite a shock.

Rajala is the perfect example of a skilled offensive forward that just wont make it in the NHL. You can always bulk up, but for Rajala its going to take too much time. His biggest problem is that he avoids the dirty areas. That and his size - there you go. Bust.
Quite early to say, he was easily the best player of Ilves last season scoring 16 goals in that garbage team. He will definitely play in the NHL some day, maybe it's only few games... or a career.

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:23 AM
M3ntalpr0
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
Quite early to say, he was easily the best player of Ilves last season scoring 16 goals in that garbage team. He will definitely play in the NHL some day, maybe it's only few games... or a career.
I wouldnt say easily the best player.. Niinimaki is probably abit better or at least its close. Ilves also had one of the worst offense's in the league so..

Old
09-16-2012, 09:40 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Rajala won't ever play in the NHL. his career is likely where he already is...Europe.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Well, thats what I partly disagree, because with he´s style of play, he could be a good player.
What do you mean about the dirty areas? Doesn't go to the net? Well, many snipers play like Rajala play, but of course he should bulk up.

With Rajalas development, probably the biggest mistake was to try to fitt him to the physical play at too early. It´s like you would start weight training at age of 3.

At the moment first of all, he needs experience in a big offensive role to get more experience and confidence in his play with the puck.
Second thing is to bulk up and get more muscle. After the bulk up he should play in North America and get more experience of the NA game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
Rajala was not the best player of the team. He was the best goal scorer, but Joonas Rask, Jesse Niinimäki ja and Masi Marjamäki are overall better forwards. Few D's were also better.

Still Rajala played a good season. I'd say, that was the light in the end of the tunnel season for Rajala.

Last edited by Ihmeilja: 09-16-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote