HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What happens to Getzlaf and Perry?

Old
09-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'm sure he said that before they floundered season after season. Success with a team can make staying a very appealing prospect, especially when success, in this case, lead to a Stanley Cup.

It's funny how words don't mean anything, but if a player says anything that even hints he might want out, it might as well be blood in the water. Getzlaf hasn't given Anaheim fans a reason to doubt him, so why should they? Because it would make other fans happy to think they can acquire him?

Of the two, the question mark is Perry.
Justin Schultz.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Justin Schultz.
So... we should doubt Getzlaf's sincerity because another player lied, and screwed them over? With that kind of logic, we should also be concerned because Paul Kariya screwed the team over too. How cynical. Now we can't trust anyone because of the actions of others.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
So... we should doubt Getzlaf's sincerity because another player lied, and screwed them over? With that kind of logic, we should also be concerned because Paul Kariya screwed the team over too. How cynical. Now we can't trust anyone because of the actions of others.
Being cynical until these sentiments are inked on a contract prevents heartbreak.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:33 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Isn't this libel? I don't believe there are any indications he has lied in any occasion. If you can, please provide a link.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Being cynical until these sentiments are inked on a contract prevents heartbreak.
Riiight. Let's only pay attention to the worst in a person because someone broke your heart. Sounds healthy.

Old
09-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Isn't this libel? I don't believe there are any indications he has lied in any occasion. If you can, please provide a link.
Don't go there. Let's not turn this into a Schultz thread. Things could get ugly.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Well if he wanted out before, he'll definitely want out if both leave. The amount of futures he would garner from a contender(ex. defensive prospects from Pittsburgh) could be well worth it in the long run.

But that's only if both leave, which I doubt happens.
nope.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
nope.
Alright, my bad then. I had thought that was the case, but if I'm wrong then you should keep Ryan around, for sure.

Old
09-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Alright, my bad then. I had thought that was the case, but if I'm wrong then you should keep Ryan around, for sure.
It's a pretty common mistake apparently. He was expressing frustration with being in trade rumors, and said that if Anaheim was going to trade him that he would rather they just do it. Before then, and since, he's been pretty clear that his preference is to stay on the team.

Old
09-15-2012, 10:55 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Where were you hiding? Did you just get back from a trip to a location where there was no electricty? Pretty easy to search the Schultz threads to find it.

As others have said I think Getz will be here a while.....Perry I'm not so sure about.

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post

As others have said I think Getz will be here a while.....Perry I'm not so sure about.
If Perry showed no interest in re-signing, hypothetically, what would you want at the deadline for him?

Old
09-15-2012, 11:16 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Burke will go hard after both.

My guess is that he lands Getzlaf and Perry goes elsewhere.
Nope both will remain in Anaheim, sorry leafs

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:23 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Where were you hiding? Did you just get back from a trip to a location where there was no electricty? Pretty easy to search the Schultz threads to find it.

I was under the impression he would have had to have lied in order to be called a liar. I'm sure you and many other Duck fans have lots to say about the situation surrounding Schultz, but I'm also sure you don't have anything substantial to back those claims.

He's been a pretty stand up guy about the whole thing.

Anyway, that's all I'll say about Schultz.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Why do people always assume players will leave a team? It so rarely happens.

So Getzlaf has a family in Cali and is settled down, and says he wants to stay. And Perry and him are best buds, right? So I don't see why either of them would leave.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
Why do people always assume players will leave a team? It so rarely happens.

So Getzlaf has a family in Cali and is settled down, and says he wants to stay. And Perry and him are best buds, right? So I don't see why either of them would leave.
People assume high-profile upcoming UFAs leave because 29 teams want it to happen and only one that doesn't.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I was under the impression he would have had to have lied in order to be called a liar. I'm sure you and many other Duck fans have lots to say about the situation surrounding Schultz, but I'm also sure you don't have anything substantial to back those claims.

No, you would need to prove that he hadn't lied, and furthermore that I had, in some way, harmed him by saying that. Since you can't prove either, there's nothing more to talk about.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:56 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
No, you would need to prove that he hadn't lied, and furthermore that I had, in some way, harmed him by saying that. Since you can't prove either, there's nothing more to talk about.
So if I were to call you a liar, you would be burdened with proving it false?

Old
09-15-2012, 11:59 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post

Burke happens.
He's got a proven track record of signing big name UFA's for the Leafs like Hossa, Richards and Gaborik ... er, Komisarek, Connolly and Armstrong.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:08 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:

He's a well documented liar, I don't know what you've been reading

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Rinzler

The Leafs have quite a few connections to both players and will be the team with the most cap space come next july 1st of all the big budget teams, so you can be certain there will be a bidding war which Anaheim will have difficulty winning.

They better hope they can resign them before July 1st is all I am saying.

The Ducks need to have a good year next year.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:44 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
He's a well documented liar, I don't know what you've been reading
Hmm, and yet.. nothing.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:23 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Seems like a nightmare scenario for the Ducks.
I agree on a much smaller scale than this I have been wondering about Howard and Filppula in Detroit. These could be huge deals if the lockout isn't lifted this year. Of course they could all be stuck as RFA's if the owners hammer through the length of contracts controll they want.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:37 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/6...-Perry-Getzlaf

Remember listening to the interview, it was very much implied. They felt mislead by Schultz.

Quote:
Very sore spot for him. Justin told BM that he wanted to play for them and BM counted on him to fill a 'guaranteed spot' on the blueline. He was going to help the power play. It's all a huge disappointment. Acknowledged it's a loophole in the CBA. Closed with 'somethings you don't understand and move on'.
Didn't use language that strong.

Another article: http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/6...etzlaf-selanne

Quote:
Ryan Getzlaf: "I've never seen him play or anything but I hear he's pretty good. He better be really good because a lot of players, not just on this team, don't like the way he's handling this situation. We want guys who want to be here and be a part of our team. No one wants to deal with that sh... uh stuff in the locker room."
Worst comment on it

Quote:
Bruce Boudreau: "I don't know what the heck happened there. We were in Chicago and we still weren't playing great and I talked to the kid straight up and said we could use you right now on the big club. We won't send you to the Crunch, as soon as you're through with Wisconsin we'll get you down there on the ice. The kid looked me right in the eye and said I can't wait coach, it's what I've always wanted. We also told him since we were playing him now it would move him one year closer to making millions of dollars. The kid seemed really excited and it seemed like a done deal when all of a sudden something dramatically changed. Someone got to the kid, it seems. I don't know exactly what happened but there's something fishy in Denmark."
Would be stunned especially after Getzlaf went kind of public if he left the Ducks. Heck I would have been stunned if he left the Ducks anyway. Obviously he could say he actually earned the right to explore his options and not use a loophole. I don't fault Ducks fans for saying Schultz did them wrong. Their coach came the closest to saying the words used. I don't know that I would call it slandering, it was covered and the Ducks were pretty open about their feelings about what he did.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 09-16-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old
09-16-2012, 02:56 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/6...-Perry-Getzlaf

Remember listening to the interview, it was very much implied. They felt mislead by Schultz.

Didn't use language that strong.

Another article: http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2012/6...etzlaf-selanne

Worst comment on it

Would be stunned especially after Getzlaf went kind of public if he left the Ducks. Heck I would have been stunned if he left the Ducks anyway. Obviously he could say he actually earned the right to explore his options and not use a loophole. I don't fault Ducks fans for saying he did them wrong. Their coach came the closest to saying the words used. I don't know that I would call it slandering, it was covered and the Ducks were pretty open about their feelings about what he did.
Right, but nothing there could really be considered "lying". Screwing them over I could possibly see, but on the flip side this wasn't really a 'loophole' as much as it was, like you said, Schultz doing what he feels is best for himself. I remember the whole situation well as I followed it closely. A telling indication that we only heard one side of the story was the also implied accusation of tampering. Now taking Boudreau's statement into consideration and also considering nothing came of the tampering allegations, it kind of undermines the credibility of the story and surrounding situation and IMO disqualifies Mr. Boudreau's entire statement. In a court of law they would agree.

Did Schultz lie? No. Which is why those statements were so cleverly made as to not imply he lied but rather just drop the cookie crumbs to that conclusion.

Anyway I said I wouldn't bring up Schultz again so I won't. I will say though that the Perry/Getzlaf situation isn't really that big of a deal IMO. It would be no different then if they become free agents with a full season. I fully expect them to re-sign.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:09 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Right, but nothing there could really be considered "lying". Screwing them over I could possibly see, but on the flip side this wasn't really a 'loophole' as much as it was, like you said, Schultz doing what he feels is best for himself. I remember the whole situation well as I followed it closely. A telling indication that we only heard one side of the story was the also implied accusation of tampering. Now taking Boudreau's statement into consideration and also considering nothing came of the tampering allegations, it kind of undermines the credibility of the story and surrounding situation and IMO disqualifies Mr. Boudreau's entire statement. In a court of law they would agree.

Did Schultz lie? No. Which is why those statements were so cleverly made as to not imply he lied but rather just drop the cookie crumbs to that conclusion.

Anyway I said I wouldn't bring up Schultz again so I won't. I will say though that the Perry/Getzlaf situation isn't really that big of a deal IMO. It would be no different then if they become free agents with a full season. I fully expect them to re-sign.
I take what Schultz did as an outside fan as pretty untruthful if I had to call it something it would be lying. When you look a person in the eye and say it is great, I am coming and do something the complete opposite, well I don't know if that has ever happened to you in real life but I know what I would call that guy. The Ducks were actually pretty diplomatic in my opinion, I would have used that specific word. I can see why the Ducks fans call him that. Not here to highjack this thread, just find your debate completely based in semantics. You asked for proof, there it is. Don't find that statement as cookie crumbs, he looked me in the eye and did something different is pretty strong.

Would be interested in Getzlaf and Perry like all other franchises. I thought Getzlaf's wife is from the area and he isn't interested in leaving. But that could just be rumors, think they would actually need another disaster season for him to get even close, so the lockout probably makes his 95% chance of re-signing and 99% chance. No way he gives up on that team, they played good hockey for stretches in the back half the season. The Ducks should really look at the Devils from last year. A team with a lot of talent and star power that just had a bad season the year before and I expect to bounce back.