HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: Leafs players and picks for a 1st. line ...

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 12:24 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
from Simmons column:

"Brodeur has been telling people he can’t believe how much money both the Maple Leafs and the Blackhawks were offering him this summer — somewhere in the neighbourhood of two years, $16 million — be he chose to take far less and remain in New Jersey"

Old
09-16-2012, 01:20 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
from Simmons column:

"Brodeur has been telling people he can’t believe how much money both the Maple Leafs and the Blackhawks were offering him this summer — somewhere in the neighbourhood of two years, $16 million — be he chose to take far less and remain in New Jersey"
Would've loved for him to come but was never really expecting it to happen. Had I known that was the money he was being offered, I probably would've thought we stood a chance haha. Can never get mad at people taking less to stay with their team, especially at that point in their career. He is a first ballot HHOF'er and will go down as one of the if not the (he has the records to argue for him) the best goaltender of all time. Still can't believe he was getting offered that haha. He pretty much signed for half of that.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:29 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post
You'd take Mr Negative Value Marc Methot and Chris Phillips over Cody Franson? Thank god you are not the GM of the Leafs. Marc Methot is not good at all, juts because Ottawa got ripped off terribly doesn't mean he's worth what he got. Phillips is 32, and has been declining every single season, especially in his own zone.
Methot is a very effective shut down defenseman. He made Canada's World Cup roster and played with Dion for a reason.

09-16-2012, 04:14 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Methot is a very effective shut down defenseman. He made Canada's World Cup roster and played with Dion for a reason.
Say what u want about methot, I think that was a terrible trade. Foligno was the only guy on that team I ever yearned to be a leaf.
He's everything Armstrong should/could have been, and he can play center.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:21 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium trigger View Post
Say what u want about methot, I think that was a terrible trade. Foligno was the only guy on that team I ever yearned to be a leaf.
I don't understand the deal either but that doesn't take away from MEthot's effectiveness either. I'm not sure why the Senators opened up another forward spot when in my opinion, that's their weak point right now.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Jozay
lolwut?

Quote:
Yeah, when I saw Foligno was traded for him, I was like WTF?!?! I really like Foligno, hes a nice physical presence and he can put up 30-40 points a season.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
from Simmons column:

Yea, I doubt it.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:16 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Schenn and Murray were on that team....

Old
09-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
from Simmons column:

Brodeur at this point in his career would have been awful in Toronto. He's past his prime and is only staying competitive because of the trap system NJ plays.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
van Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Brodeur at this point in his career would have been awful in Toronto. He's past his prime and is only staying competitive because of the trap system NJ plays.
I think he'll be playing like he did in 2010-11 this season, bad. Also, losing Parise for nothing was a huge blow to the team.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:55 PM
pspot

Burke must really believe in james

Old
09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post
I think he'll be playing like he did in 2010-11 this season, bad. Also, losing Parise for nothing was a huge blow to the team.
Yeah, plus if Henrique struggles this season I see them easily missing the playoffs. Crazy to say that about a team that was two games away from winning the cup.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:30 PM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Yeah, plus if Henrique struggles this season I see them easily missing the playoffs. Crazy to say that about a team that was two games away from winning the cup.
Ya, they got hot at the right time. They were barely a playoff team last year in most ppls guestimation. Kudos to them for doing as much damage as they did, but I wouldn't count on that this (potential) season...

Old
09-16-2012, 10:31 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Curious what stats you're referring to. Franson certainly didn't appear very useful (or even moderately useful) in my viewings. I'd consider him 6th at best among Leafs D last season, 5th now because of the Schenn trade... and even then, I expect Holzer to pass him quickly.

Gardiner
Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Liles
Franson
Komisarek
Holzer

I will say there's a big gap in my mind between Gunnar and Liles, with Franson and Liles likely closer in value, but I'm frankly hoping that by the time the NHL starts up again Holzer, Rielly and others are pushing Liles, Franson and omisarek for icetime.

You say Cody is misused - given our "coaching", I'd agree that's a distinct possibility, but how do you think he should be used differently to maximize the assets he does bring to the table?
Oh boy, Gardiner as our best d-man? No. Love the kid, but he was sheltered this year. Didn't face top competition, and had a lot of offensive zone starts. Both Phaneuf and Gunnar are better than him, and Franson is better defensively.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
Ya, they got hot at the right time. They were barely a playoff team last year in most ppls guestimation. Kudos to them for doing as much damage as they did, but I wouldn't count on that this (potential) season...
It's amazing what a trap team can do in the playoffs. Can absolutely frustrate the best offensive teams in the league. Washington completely changed the way they play after getting beat by the Habs in the playoffs a couple years ago. The only thing that gives me a shred of optimism about the Leafs is the defensively responsible style Carlyle brings to the table. Wilson's pond hockey system was an absolute mess for the goalies and defensemen. You just can't win these days playing that 80's run and gun style.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
It's amazing what a trap team can do in the playoffs. Can absolutely frustrate the best offensive teams in the league.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:41 AM
delirium trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
Nice goal, what's the purpose of showing it though?

Old
09-17-2012, 08:58 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Same thing I was wondering. Maybe he thinks that is "the trap"?

Old
09-17-2012, 09:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
from Simmons column:

And people think burke doesn't give a ****.

09-17-2012, 09:33 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't understand the deal either but that doesn't take away from MEthot's effectiveness either. I'm not sure why the Senators opened up another forward spot when in my opinion, that's their weak point right now.
Kind of funny coming from a Leafs' fan.

All we ever hear is how Kadri needs a spot. Maybe that's what the Senators were doing for one or both of these 2:

Jakob Silfverberg - SEL MVP
Mika Zibanejad - Golden Goal

Jason Spezza
Milan Michalek
Kyle Turris
Colin Greening
Zack Smith

Alfie is back for 1 year.

In the system:
Shane Prince
Matt Puempel
Mark Stone

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
09-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kind of funny coming from a Leafs' fan.

All we ever hear is how Kadri needs a spot. Maybe that's what the Senators were doing for one or both of these 2:

Jakob Silfverberg - SEL MVP
Mika Zibanejad - Golden Goal

Jason Spezza
Milan Michalek
Kyle Turris
Colin Greening
Zack Smith

Alfie is back for 1 year.

In the system:
Shane Prince
Matt Puempel
Mark Stone
Again..Each prospect take their own sweet time Ulfie. I am certain there will be trades for the center spot as soon as this CBA debacle is fixed up.

For Zibanejad he was always gifted for the two-way game and his body strength with his high skill. He was able to mix it up properly in the SEL.

Silfverberg is like the Toews of the SEL from all the things I read up on this guy but wasn't Klingberg rated higher than this guy? and more skilled? From what I recall he is in the jets and was showing good promise.

Also in the pipelines for the wingers it would be Stefan Noesen in the lead, from what I recall he's valued highly in the sens brass as he brings a very good game.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
To show that the Devils generally played an aggressive 2-1-2 throughout the playoffs and not the neutral zone trap

Old
09-17-2012, 11:40 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
To show that the Devils generally played an aggressive 2-1-2 throughout the playoffs and not the neutral zone trap
Yes, this is so true of myths. NJD did not play the trap last year but the myth never dies. Just like the myth that the trap is boring hockey. No so, the Habs who won 5 consecutive Cups were the originators of trapping in the 70's. I would suggest the Flying Frenchmen were not boring.

The neutral zone trap and any of its variations only produces boring hockey when employed by boring teams. For highly skilled teams it provides plenty of razzle dazzle.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Antropovsky

Murray is my favorite gm. Or at the very least
Favorite drafting gm.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:05 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
from Simmons column:

im calling shenanigans.

any gm that would offer a 2 year $16 million contract to a 40 year old goalie deserves to be fired. despite last seasons playoffs, brodeur is a shell of himself and as shown with roloson it doesnt take much for an over the hill goalie to have the wheels fall off fast.

burke is usually decent at getting fair contracts signed and when he does overpay there is a considerable difference in paying connolly or komisarek $4.5 million over 2 seasons when they should be making closer to $3 million then paying a goalie $8 million when they should be making $3 million.

Closed Thread