HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The league is not making a tidy profit. Any business that is paying 57% of their REVENUE to the employees and then has large operating expenses on top of that is going to struggle to make a profit.

More revenue sharing among the owners is necessary, some of that should come at the expense of the players since it is their jobs that are being saved in the smaller markets.
As a whole, they certainly did. It is just uneven, but the league always gets their cut, and obviously the large market teams make the extra bucks. Revenue sharing will help offset a decent chunk of the costs. $250 million would actually be close to turning a profit for all, as the lower tier teams, at most, only lose like $7 million, that is excluding the Coyotes, who are ownerless and decrepit and continue to be horribly mismanaged.

They just like to whine and moan with their incredibly slanted books, the same logic that tells us that the movie Star Wars never made a profit, etc... The bottom line is, as a whole, they are pretty much taking in more than they are shelling out, the NHL is just trying to cut the costs of their own shortsightedness, inept managerial failures, and plain bad investments by burdening the players with it, even after they got their dream cut last lockout.

Bettman needs to wake up and smell the roses. His salary has increased every single year. I believe he is making close to $10 million a year now... **** him. I have little feelings for either side, but the owners are acting like they are getting run over by buses, and it is not even close. The fact that negotiations are so far apart is a colossal failure on the parts of both parties, but as I see it, it is the owners that have a need to be more lenient, they also stand to lose the most...

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
09-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
It's not revenue sharing.

It's Philly, Toronto, Montreal etc. propping up the failed franchises.

Revenue sharing works in MLB and the NFL because everyone makes so much money from the TV contract. The NHL doesn't have that luxury.

As for the NBA, they have decided to go in a direction similar to the EPL, where there are 5-6 glamour franchises that are going to win 90% of the championships and all the other franchises play the role of the Washington Generals. I don't think anyone wants that in the NHL.

Old
09-15-2012, 02:48 PM
William H Bonney

There's a lot of blame to go around.

First and foremost, it just sucks that we won't have any NHL hockey for a portion, if not all of the season. A niche sport like the NHL can't afford to keep doing this.

Once hockey does return, I'm worried about what this may do to the progress hockey was making in regards to its finally increasing TV presence.

A real shame for the owners and players to own.

One thing that's clear to me though is Gary Bettman should lose his job, although I know he won't. He led the crusade to establish a lot of the markets that are losing money and he's led the NHL to three lockouts in his 18 years. He continuously takes raises while demanding everyone else takes cuts. He's not solely to blame, obviously, but he needs to go.

09-15-2012, 03:59 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
One thing that's clear to me though is Gary Bettman should lose his job, although I know he won't. He led the crusade to establish a lot of the markets that are losing money and he's led the NHL to three lockouts in his 18 years. He continuously takes raises while demanding everyone else takes cuts. He's not solely to blame, obviously, but he needs to go.
Boom. Nailed it.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:33 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Only 1 1/2 hours to go...thanks Gary!

Old
09-15-2012, 09:37 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Well the bright side is we just won the cup so that makes this a little more bearable...a little.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:45 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindEnemyLines View Post
Well the bright side is we just won the cup so that makes this a little more bearable...a little.
Can we call ourselves Stanley Cup Champions for 2 years running?

Old
09-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Miniscule? NFL 11B, MLB 7B, NBA 3.8B, NHL 3.3B. MLB plays twice as many games (since they can), so in reality all 3 of the sports other than NFL are on pretty damn level footing (per game). Baseball also has VASTLY higher travel/scouting/player development costs.
NBA team: 12 players, no farm club, very limited equipment, small staff, minimal arena expenses

NHL team: 25 players, large farm system (several teams), boatloads of equipment, large staff, extensive arena expenses.

The cost difference to operate a basketball team vs a hockey team is quite large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
But the real main point of my post was why we, as fans, do we need to take sides?
The NHL is easily my #1 source of entertainment. The internet makes being a year-round hockey fan sooo much easier than in the past.

When hockey is taken away from me I get ******! Is that surprising?! Whose fault is that hockey is gone right now, and who knows for how long?? 90% the players fault.

Old
09-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

This sucks.

The Kings are at the top of their game. We have a chance to repeat.

This ****ing sucks.

I don't think we will lose the entire season like last time. However, we are probably looking at a couple of months lost.

Old
09-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
My neighbor works for the Kings. He says the season isn't happening until January if at all.

Old
09-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Also, when the baseball strike happened years ago, why were replacement players allowed to be used? Can the NHL do that? I'd absolutely still watch if they did. Hell, I mighte even try out to be the Kings next Westgarth (punching bag). I think i'd be pretty good at getting my ass kicked nightly.
The MLB used them but the it was quickly ruled illegal.

That was also a strike. Not a lockout.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:06 PM
CNS
A World Alone

And we're locked out. **** this league man. **** every single owner and Bettman.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
And we're locked out. **** this league man. **** every single owner and Bettman.
And **** the players.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:21 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

******* ECHL here we come...

Old
09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Still don't get the Bettman hate.

To me, that's a visceral reaction to a man who is simply doing his job.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:46 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
NBA team: 12 players, no farm club, very limited equipment, small staff, minimal arena expenses

NHL team: 25 players, large farm system (several teams), boatloads of equipment, large staff, extensive arena expenses.

The cost difference to operate a basketball team vs a hockey team is quite large.

The NHL is easily my #1 source of entertainment. The internet makes being a year-round hockey fan sooo much easier than in the past.

When hockey is taken away from me I get ******! Is that surprising?! Whose fault is that hockey is gone right now, and who knows for how long?? 90% the players fault.
Plus an enormous TV deal with at least 3 major outlets that basically carries all the struggling team.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

I'm lost for words. How could they let this ****ing happen? 2 lockouts in less than a decade. They should all be ashamed of themselves. ****ing embarrassing! I'll have to hear Canadians say the word "lockout" on TV to boot. Argh.

Since we signed Penner to just a one-year deal, is he a FA after next year?

Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 09-16-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old
09-16-2012, 12:05 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

I KNEW that home plate logo was bad luck...

Old
09-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

3 x under his watch is a bit much to swallow. He's not doing his job that well for this to happen so many times. But gee, he has agreed to forego his salary now in a show of support...... Umm yeah. Should have done that sooner as well IMO.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

They can't even lockout on the right day to get any media coverage.

USC just lost again to Stanford
Notre Dame is 3-0 after a road win over a Top 10 team
Alabama looks like the best team ever.
Harbaugh vs. Schwartz
Rest of NFL Week 2
Intense division and WC races in MLB

Like the sports media is going to give a crap about the lockout.

The NHL/NHLPA are holding pair of deuces on a K-K-A-A-3 board. Well played all parties!!

Last edited by Herby: 09-16-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old
09-16-2012, 12:28 AM
bobafettish*

if they do get it settled please do it early, dont want no accelerated 50 game season.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:40 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I'm lost for words. How could they let this ****ing happen? 2 lockouts in less than a decade. They should all be ashamed of themselves. ****ing embarrassing! I'll have to hear Canadians say the word "lockout" on TV to boot. Argh.

Since we signed Penner to just a one-year deal, is he a FA after next year?
That is TBD.

After 04-05, they decide to burn a year of all contracts, but they may decide against that this year. Who knows.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:12 AM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

The lockout was the 3rd story on NBC tonight, unlike KTTV 11 which buried it in the sports and had a lame poll that featured "Who cares?" option, which seemed to amusing the sports dork. I honestly don't think this dude could tell the difference between a hockey puck and a tennis ball.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:42 AM
Quattro

Quote:

Srsly? 3 lockouts under one commissioner is unprecedented incompetence. No other commissioner in sports history comes close in that regard.

And loljustlol at whoever said this is 90% on the players. I'd say 80-90% on the owners. For f's sake, they are still signing guys to giant contracts minutes before voting to lock out

Old
09-16-2012, 01:45 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
This sucks.

The Kings are at the top of their game. We have a chance to repeat.

This ****ing sucks.

I don't think we will lose the entire season like last time. However, we are probably looking at a couple of months lost.
At least the kings are still young. Losing gagne and Penner gives the kids a better shot next season. Toffoli gets a year in the AHL without worrying about making the NHL, helps the kings know if he has a shot at the NHL in 2013. Voynov gets to play top line minutes.

It sucks that Muzzin and hickey can't play in the AHL. Maybe they will go to Europe.

Closed Thread