HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think we will regret not taking Hamilton

Old
09-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Do you think we will regret not taking Hamilton

In 2011, I was hoping we would draft Hamilton or trade up to get larsson. I personally did not think Couturier would drop and when he and Hamilton were available at 8 I had no clue who we should go after. I love the Couturier pick and believe he has the chance to be a special player for us.

But hindsight is 20 20 , and it is possible that we may have a glut at center with giroux couturier, and Schenn. And with the way Hamilton has developed it seems he can be a number 1 dman for quite some time.

I think at the time we made the right decision, but as time goes on and Hamilton evolves into what he is expected to be I think we will regret our pick slightly.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 12:44 PM
dookie88

All I know is that Winnipeg will regret not taking Hamilton or Couturier.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 01:19 PM
PayItForward

Maybe. I think that he's slightly overrated by Bruins fans and I certainly don't think he'll be winning all the Norris trophies that they have him penciled down for. But on the other hand, if he turns out to be half as good as some of them say, that's a #1 d-man for the next 10-15 years. But I've seen his junior coach say that he was better than Pietrangelo (or something to that affect). Depends on how both Couturier and Hamilton turn out (like just about everything else), since it's doubtful either of them reaches their ceiling. Won't know for some time though since d-man take longer to develop.

The bigger regret should be not getting a d-man in return for one of Carter and Richards. Obviously love the returns for both, but IMO they should have gotten a d-man in one of the deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
All I know is that Winnipeg will regret not taking Hamilton or Couturier.
100% agree.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Haute Couturier

The Flyers had Siemens ahead of Hamilton. If the Flyers drafted for need Siemens was the pick. Now that would have been a mistake. I'm perfectly happy with Couturier especially considering it saved them from making a poor selection.

Hamilton is a great prospect, but he is a long way from becoming a #1 in the league. It would certainly be fantastic if we had a prospect like him, but defenders are a riskier bet so I'm more comfortable with Couturier.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Prongo
Beer

Hamilton is the most over rated prospect on HF. Everyone is saying he will be a #1, but he never has stepped foot onto NHL ice. He is a defenseman too, so we really need to see what he can do against NHL players before we make claims he is the next great defender.

To answer the question, no we will not regret passing him up. Couts was easily the best available player at that point and Homer was ecstatic to select him at 8th overall.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:54 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Hamilton is the most over rated prospect on HF. Everyone is saying he will be a #1, but he never has stepped foot onto NHL ice. He is a defenseman too, so we really need to see what he can do against NHL players before we make claims he is the next great defender.

To answer the question, no we will not regret passing him up. Couts was easily the best available player at that point and Homer was ecstatic to select him at 8th overall.
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that...

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Jtown

Quote:

i would like to point out that Hamiltons play and his skill have contributed to his praise. it is not like this is a single fan base praising the accolades of their one and only prospect.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 04:45 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that...
...about Couturier.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:44 PM
PayItForward

Quote:

... could say similar things about Couturier, no?

I actually agree that Hamilton is overrated, too.

Old
09-15-2012, 05:45 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post

No because Couturier is actually in the NHL.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:58 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
No because Couturier is actually in the NHL.
Actually, I was talking about the overrated part, which you can most definitely say for him.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Krishna

Nope.. With the way we develop defenseman, he would be nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Nope.. With the way we develop defenseman, he would be nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman
Or they would give up on him too soon.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 07:40 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Still too early to tell, but I love Couts so it's hard for me to say that id regret the pick. We certainly could use a prospect like Hamilton right about now though, but with this teams track record of developing defenseman...we might as well just try and trade for one.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Glut at center? Giroux-Schenn-Couturier seems like a fine group of centers to have for the next 10-15 years

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:34 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:

Come on, dude. Hamilton is a special player and I would ****ing love to have him. I couldn't be happier that we drafted Couturier, though.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
no. he would of been traded along with a 2nd round pick for a 35 year old veteran defenseman in the last year of his deal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:48 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:

So there is this one hockey player. Dunno if you've heard of him. Plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs. I believe he goes by the name Nazem Kadri, or something or other...

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
So there is this one hockey player. Dunno if you've heard of him. Plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs. I believe he goes by the name Nazem Kadri, or something or other...
Kadri has fallen out of favor with leafs fans

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Leaf fans are probably now just realizing he wont be the next Gretzky.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
i would like to point out that Hamiltons play and his skill have contributed to his praise. it is not like this is a single fan base praising the accolades of their one and only prospect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Come on, dude. Hamilton is a special player and I would ****ing love to have him. I couldn't be happier that we drafted Couturier, though.
Now do not get me wrong, I do believe Hamilton is a good young player. I would love for him to be in the Flyer prospect pool. It seems like people get enamored with defenders who are big and can skate(rightfully so). We see this all the time though, and these prospects fail in the NHL routinely. I want to see the kid play against competition that will be closer to his size and skill before I call him a future #1. Of course he has that potential, but the praise he gets is just a little over board.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Given that we suck at drafting and developing a good defencemen, kind of disappointed. Couldn't go wrong with Couts or Dougy though.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Always weary of drafting a defenseman in the top 10 picks. They are almost as un-predictable as goaltenders.

Getting Couturier was just such a massive boost. There are going to be 6 teams kicking themselves that they didn't take this guy.

Hamilton might be a great prospect, and he might be a solid 1# defenseman one day, but he's not played a game in the NHL yet. There have been many flops at the NHL level even after great junior years.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
In 2011, I was hoping we would draft Hamilton or trade up to get larsson. I personally did not think Couturier would drop and when he and Hamilton were available at 8 I had no clue who we should go after. I love the Couturier pick and believe he has the chance to be a special player for us.

But hindsight is 20 20 , and it is possible that we may have a glut at center with giroux couturier, and Schenn. And with the way Hamilton has developed it seems he can be a number 1 dman for quite some time.

I think at the time we made the right decision, but as time goes on and Hamilton evolves into what he is expected to be I think we will regret our pick slightly.
You maybe but not I!!!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote