HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 03:25 PM
B Boarding

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPilgrim View Post
Victor Crus Rydberg had a few shifts for Linköpings seniors today in a pre season game against SEL-2 team Malmö. It was his first appearance with the senior team. He kept his shifts short and didn't get much time with the puck but he will get more chances...
Nice to hear. How did his skating look?

Old
09-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Huffman

The kid is super talented, never seen an underage guy as dominating at TV-Pucken as Crus Rydberg. He has not quite lived up to expectations since then but he has been pretty damn good this pre-season. In Feskarn trophy (J18) he scored 9 points in 3 games, I believe his team scored 11 goals in total in that tournament. He has also been putting up lots of points on the J20 team.

Old
09-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Yabob

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Boarding View Post
Nice to hear. How did his skating look?
Hard to tell. I think he kept up with the other players pretty well.... but I'm not sure how much of an effort the other guys put into it (there was absolutly zero defense from both teams and hardly any physical play).

Old
09-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Oilers4life1987

Hey guys,

Can anyone give me a brieft scouting report on Elias Lindholm. Im from ottawa so I cant view him as much as let's say Monahan.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
BPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabob View Post
Hard to tell. I think he kept up with the other players pretty well.... but I'm not sure how much of an effort the other guys put into it (there was absolutly zero defense from both teams and hardly any physical play).
True, but from what I've seen from him in J18 and J20 so far this preseason he has really improved his skating. I think he will be really good this season.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:50 PM
B Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPilgrim View Post
True, but from what I've seen from him in J18 and J20 so far this preseason he has really improved his skating. I think he will be really good this season.

That's awesome news. He is my favorite prospect since his past two TV-pucken tournaments. I was a bit surprised he didn't do better in the J18/J20 leagues last season because he's got all the tools to become a star, except for not being a fast skater. If that has improved though, things are looking good!

Old
09-13-2012, 03:51 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Six SEL season opener games were played tonight. Among the draftees Lindberg stood out with one goal, two assists and +4. Jesper Fasth scored an OT GWG and Johan Gustafsson had a key role in his teams victory, with SVS 94.44%.

Prospects on the scoreboard tonight:
Oscar Lindberg 1+2
Jesper Fasth 1+0
Calle Järnkrok 0+1
Max Friberg 0+1

Old
09-15-2012, 04:20 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Hey guys,

Can anyone give me a brieft scouting report on Elias Lindholm. Im from ottawa so I cant view him as much as let's say Monahan.
He's like a mix of Backstrom and Jarnkrok(who is his cousin). They all play their own game but there are striking similarities between them. Strong skater, two-way player, high hockey sense, pass-first, plays feisty. Average frame, but pretty advanced for his age(6'0", 192lbs as of now). Will he be 4th overall? We'll see about that, but heading into his draft season he compares very well to Nick. Just a really smart center with intangibles and first line upside. To me he's the best Swedish center prospect since Backstrom.

Old
09-16-2012, 05:17 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Canes assign Victor Rask to Charlotte Checkers (AHL)

EDIT: Not sure if he will play there tho

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 09-16-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old
09-16-2012, 05:22 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Canes assign Victor Rask to Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
Could have implications on the WJC team. We risk losing Zibanejad, Brodin, Lindholm and Rask now.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:09 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Could have implications on the WJC team. We risk losing Zibanejad, Brodin, Lindholm and Rask now.
Doesn't the AHL allow their players to participate? Atleast some canadian posters are drooling over the idea of having RNH and co. on the junior NT, and they all will be playing in the A as well.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:40 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Doesn't the AHL allow their players to participate? Atleast some canadian posters are drooling over the idea of having RNH and co. on the junior NT, and they all will be playing in the A as well.
I totally agree. The NHL clubs are still the ones pulling the strings. The NHL clubs will let their juniors stars play WJC, given that the lock out is still running. There's not even a doubt about it.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:11 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
I totally agree. The NHL clubs are still the ones pulling the strings. The NHL clubs will let their juniors stars play WJC, given that the lock out is still running. There's not even a doubt about it.
There's not many WJC eligible guys that will be playing in the AHL. By my count only the Swedes and RNH. The reason Canadians are salivating is because Huberdeau, Strome, Hamilton et. al could be stuck in the CHL and thus available. There's no rules or guarantees for AHL players to go, although it would be likely if the lockout is still going on by then.

However if the timing is poor the NHL camps could start up mid December and interfere with the WJC. I doubt they'd release players trying to make the big club.

Last edited by joe89: 09-16-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old
09-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Sending a player to the WJC is totally the NHL team's call, and most will almost certainly send eligible players there this year. The only real hesitation in past was when the player is a solid member of the NHL team where winning is paramount. This year, with the top teens in the AHL, the only considerations would be if losing the player for several weeks will severely handicap their AHL team, but given (A) most AHL rosters will be VERY deep, and (B) the AHL is a development league anyway, where wins are secondary most of the time, you can basically expect every single WJC eligible player in North America to be at the tourney this year.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Forsberg with 0 points in the first 2 games... but apparently did well in pre-season against SEL teams, don't remember his exact stats.

How has he looked so far?

Old
09-17-2012, 11:42 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Forsberg with 0 points in the first 2 games... but apparently did well in pre-season against SEL teams, don't remember his exact stats.

How has he looked so far?
I didn't watch the last game, but he was very good in the first game where he should've scored a few points. His physical game jumped out on me aswell. The disappointing news were that he wasn't playing first unit PP, and that unit looked very good. His team has a pretty clear cut first line and he has played on the second to begin the season. I'm pretty sure he's gonna get his chances there though.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I didn't watch the last game, but he was very good in the first game where he should've scored a few points. His physical game jumped out on me aswell. The disappointing news were that he wasn't playing first unit PP, and that unit looked very good. His team has a pretty clear cut first line and he has played on the second to begin the season. I'm pretty sure he's gonna get his chances there though.
Yeah, he looked good in that game. He put 2 pucks in the net in the second game but none of them counted, he also hit the post in both games. Here are the highlights of that second game (if it works outside of Sweden):

http://www.dt.se/webbtv#EjOA2n0VkVXfUanZ94FFFw

Last edited by Huffman: 09-17-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old
09-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Marklar*

Forsberg playing well but not putting up points is a common theme with him and a big reason why he fell to the Caps. He looks great in games and shows a lot of skill, then you look at the scoresheet and all that led to nothing. He is going to be one of those guys who people expect a lot more out of. This is a concern.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
nbducksfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
Forsberg playing well but not putting up points is a common theme with him and a big reason why he fell to the Caps. He looks great in games and shows a lot of skill, then you look at the scoresheet and all that led to nothing. He is going to be one of those guys who people expect a lot more out of. This is a concern.
its funny because i have watched him about 10 times and this has always been the sense I got. He was always noticeable on the ice (in a positive way) but just wasn't able to get on the score sheet. I thought it was just my limited viewings, but interesting that you noticed it as well.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Using that logic, Collberg should have gone undrafted.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Marklar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Using that logic, Collberg should have gone undrafted.
No, that doesn't make any sense. You didn't understand my post, or you chose to ignore it due to homerism even though your viewings of Forsberg are probably extremely limited if existant at all.

Collberg didn't produce in SEL because of extremely low ice time. But he produced at U20 as opposed to Forsberg who played very well but didn't score at all. Also, Forsberg plays in a lower league in comparison to Collberg.

You probably think I said Forsberg will bust because of that. Not at all. But at the end of the day, he fell for a reason and that is mainly due to his production/upside concerns on the offensive side of the game. He is a player who leaves you wanting more.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:29 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Tom Nilsson and Petter Granberg...

Does anyone have any info on either of them?

Old
09-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Huffman

Quote:
No, that doesn't make any sense. You didn't understand my post, or you chose to ignore it due to homerism even though your viewings of Forsberg are probably extremely limited if existant at all.

Collberg didn't produce in SEL because of extremely low ice time. But he produced at U20 as opposed to Forsberg who played very well but didn't score at all. Also, Forsberg plays in a lower league in comparison to Collberg.

You probably think I said Forsberg will bust because of that. Not at all. But at the end of the day, he fell for a reason and that is mainly due to his production/upside concerns on the offensive side of the game. He is a player who leaves you wanting more.
There is really no point in comparing the numbers junior players put up in these swedish leagues, you have to look at them play and see who is better. Backstrom and Kopitar collected 0 points when they were Forsberg's age while a player like Anton Lander had 10. Forsberg has been great on the national teams, scoring just as many goals as Collberg. They have both been putting up better numbers than Backstrom to this point on the national teams but comparing players on the scoresheet at that young age is just pointless. Pretty much every swedish prospect these days seem to be labeled with "limited offensive upside", often because they don't produce 100 points in a junior league or have a russian last name.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Marklar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
There is really no point in comparing the numbers junior players put up in these swedish leagues, you have to look at them play and see who is better. Backstrom and Kopitar collected 0 points when they were Forsberg's age while a player like Anton Lander had 10. Forsberg has been great on the national teams, scoring just as many goals as Collberg. They have both been putting up better numbers than Backstrom to this point on the national teams but comparing players on the scoresheet at that young age is just pointless. Pretty much every swedish prospect these days seem to be labeled with "limited offensive upside", often because they don't produce 100 points in a junior league or have a russian last name.
I'm not doing that, or even talking about their men's league points at all. Collberg shouldn't have been brought up in the first place by that Caps fan. Throw him out of this conversation if you want.

I was mainly referring to Forsberg internationally as that is where I have seen him the most. I don't see a guy with high offensive upside whenever I see him play. That's just me. I personally thought he ended up being drafted where he should have been all along. In fact, even if I'm not referring to points, I don't see elite tools other than puck possession from Forsberg.

Just because he plays well but doesn't fully translate it to the scoresheet isn't the end of the world for his potential NHL career. But it is something to be aware about and something I have noticed for the last 3 years.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
I'm not doing that, or even talking about their men's league points at all. Collberg shouldn't have been brought up in the first place by that Caps fan. Throw him out of this conversation if you want.

I was mainly referring to Forsberg internationally as that is where I have seen him the most. I don't see a guy with high offensive upside whenever I see him play. That's just me. I personally thought he ended up being drafted where he should have been all along. In fact, even if I'm not referring to points, I don't see elite tools other than puck possession from Forsberg.

Just because he plays well but doesn't fully translate it to the scoresheet isn't the end of the world for his potential NHL career. But it is something to be aware about and something I have noticed for the last 3 years.
Where exactly has he not produced? He's had 38 points in 45 games in International-Jr, 41 in 42 games in SuperElit, 13 in 12 games at the U18 WJC... 17 in 43 games in his first real year Allsvenskan, which isn't bad. Sure, 1 point in 6 games at the U20 WJC isn't great, but then again that was as one of two '94 birthdays on that team. I'm not in a position to judge his play, but his production doesn't seem to be a problem.

Closed Thread