HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tyler Ennis re-signs for 2 years/$5.625 million

Old
09-15-2012, 01:45 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

vCash: 500
Love the signing. Wish they would've got the extra year though.

Nice to have Tyler locked up.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 02:28 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Darcy Regier: Still a believer in the reasonable 2nd contract. The only player who got more than 3 years on a 2nd contract was Myers, and for obvious reasons.

When Ennis is up again, he should be RFA (pending new CBA not screwing RFA rules up). Pominville, Vanek, and Miller will all have their deals done. So from a cap perspective, these two cheap years are great, and if more space needs to be cleared for him 2 years from now, there are lots of options.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Because it's not reasonable to think the harsh travel, new teammates, new team strategies, shifting up and down the line-up, and inability to practice with the team for his first 10 games may have affected his play?

This thread isn't even about Hodgson, but he, Ennis, Grigs, Girgs, and Adam (if anyone still considers him a center) are a nice young group up the middle.
Cool... those all seem like excuses to me.

You're right so we should just leave it at that. Good deal for the Sabres, I'm sure you guys would have liked to sign him a little longer term though.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
I was expecting 3.5-4 a year for Ennis..

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
I was hoping for 2.5-3M per year, but was expecting 3+. Good signing and still (at least for the next few hours) a RFA after the contract.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
I was expecting 3.5-4 a year for Ennis..
This deal doesn't buy any UFA years though, which probably helped keep the cost down.

Plus it's Regier. He's excellent at getting good value 2nd contracts. Drew Stafford's 2nd contract for instance was 2 years, 1.8M per. The only 2 times he didn't was the Vanek fiasco and when he locked up Myers long-term (and Myers isn't a terrible deal by any means)...but otherwise he gets great numbers on short-term 2nd contracts, that end in RFA status. It's definitely one of his strengths.

Old
09-15-2012, 04:06 PM
boots electric

If you guys want to piss and moan over Hodgson and rehash the same points and counterpoints that have been argued in literally dozens of existing threads, could you like, go do it in one of those dozens of existing threads?

Good deal for Ennis. 2015/2016 is shaping up to be an enormous year for Buffalo's franchise.

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Punishment View Post
lol hodgson 1st line
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford clicked at the end of the season so it would be utterly dumb to break that line up. Hodgson viewed as an offensive Center would logically be paired with Vanek.

to balance out the scoring they could put Pommenville on a "3rd line" with Leino and Ott or their #1 Grigorenko.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Punishment View Post
lol hodgson 1st line
It seems we still have some not-so-satisfied fans who feel they have done their duty to contribute to a thread with a post like this. Just a mere six months ago Canucks fans worshiped Hodgson like a god and were in tears when they traded him, only to quickly turn around and throw insults his way and say he wasn't anything special in the first place, very clearly because he isn't on their team anymore, so evidently he's no good anymore either. If you didn't know, we really don't have a true first line center and we will be running Hodgson and Ennis as 2A, 2B centers for now until they prove themselves otherwise. We don't know how good either of them will be in their primes, but both of them certainly have extremely high ceilings; I'd say each has 70-80 point potential. And if they're not legit #1 centers, they still make a great 2A, 2B combo and we still have Grigorenko to hopefully fall back on as a #1. So thanks for your very informed post.

Great price for Ennis though; I'm extremely happy with this contract. Darcy always does a nice job with RFAs. Under $3M is a steal. And he'll be an RFA again after it's over. Gives him a short window to prove he's the real deal and then he can cash in two years from now with a hopefully long-term contract. Assuming he breaks his career highs this season, which he was on pace to last season if he would have played a full year, this'll be a great contract for us. I really don't see how we can go wrong here. Just the perfect term and price couldn't be better. I still think Ennis is something special and there's tons to prove that already. Let's hope the Danny Briere comparisons are true.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:03 PM
KaraLupin
카라

This is a steal, I view Ennis as a 70-80 point player.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Good deal for Buffalo, wouldn't be surprised if he gets 60-70 points next season
Assuming there's a lockout and he signs an ahl deal I agree,

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Wow for ennis?

I thought he could have easily fetched double that.... He has some great skill.

I would put him on the 1st line over hodsgon, and i am a hodgson fan, I just feel ennis has more skill.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:04 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Wow for ennis?

I thought he could have easily fetched double that.... He has some great skill.

I would put him on the 1st line over hodsgon, and i am a hodgson fan, I just feel ennis has more skill.
Line chemistry. Ennis works between Foligno and Stafford (his connection with Stafford is pretty time-tested too). Hodgson had pretty good chemistry with Vanek. The line with Vanek on it is always the first line, even though Ruff never gives Vanek the kind of ice time regular first liners get.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:10 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Line chemistry. Ennis works between Foligno and Stafford (his connection with Stafford is pretty time-tested too). Hodgson had pretty good chemistry with Vanek. The line with Vanek on it is always the first line, even though Ruff never gives Vanek the kind of ice time regular first liners get.
Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville/Ott/Tropp/Gerbe and Foligno-Ennis-Stafford will likely get about the same amount of ice time. If they keep Vanek and Pommer split up, then the top 3 lines will all get roughly the same amount of ice time with the Ott/Tropp/Gerbe/Adam/whomever-Leino-Pominville line getting a similar amount of time. Depends on whether Ruff wants to load the top line or go for a more balanced approach--which I think is more likely.

The numbering is completely arbitrary and makes no difference. When you have potentially your top LW (Vanek), top C (Ennis), and top RW (Pominville) on 3 different lines, it becomes near impossible to number the lines without starting a huge argument "How can Vanek not be on the 1st line!" "Hodgson isn't the 1st line C, Ennis is!" "Pominville is NOT a 3rd liner!" etc.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:30 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Surprised that he's under 3 million. Great deal for the Sabres.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:21 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
It seems we still have some not-so-satisfied fans who feel they have done their duty to contribute to a thread with a post like this. Just a mere six months ago Canucks fans worshiped Hodgson like a god and were in tears when they traded him, only to quickly turn around and throw insults his way and say he wasn't anything special in the first place, very clearly because he isn't on their team anymore, so evidently he's no good anymore either. If you didn't know, we really don't have a true first line center and we will be running Hodgson and Ennis as 2A, 2B centers for now until they prove themselves otherwise. We don't know how good either of them will be in their primes, but both of them certainly have extremely high ceilings; I'd say each has 70-80 point potential. And if they're not legit #1 centers, they still make a great 2A, 2B combo and we still have Grigorenko to hopefully fall back on as a #1. So thanks for your very informed post.

Great price for Ennis though; I'm extremely happy with this contract. Darcy always does a nice job with RFAs. Under $3M is a steal. And he'll be an RFA again after it's over. Gives him a short window to prove he's the real deal and then he can cash in two years from now with a hopefully long-term contract. Assuming he breaks his career highs this season, which he was on pace to last season if he would have played a full year, this'll be a great contract for us. I really don't see how we can go wrong here. Just the perfect term and price couldn't be better. I still think Ennis is something special and there's tons to prove that already. Let's hope the Danny Briere comparisons are true.
Great post. I agree on the hodgson comments completely.

Also Ennis will be quite a gem in the near future. Great deal that makes sense for both clubs as I'm sure they'd like to see how far ennis can take himself with his career.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:24 AM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Cool... those all seem like excuses to me.

You're right so we should just leave it at that. Good deal for the Sabres, I'm sure you guys would have liked to sign him a little longer term though.
Lol. What a joke. Im hoping to call you out on something like this when it happens to a newly acquired canuck player.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosswally View Post
He probably took less money to get a shorter contract
That's what I was thinking. It's probably better for him in the long run, especially if he thinks he's about to break out. He can cash in as early as possible.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote