HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The official Toni Rajala thread

Old
08-13-2012, 09:26 AM
wings5

vCash: 500
Did he at least grow at all?

wings5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 09:34 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Did he at least grow at all?
178cm and 74kg on Eliteprospects. So not much.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
He is still VERY young. It's not like he is a Jesse Niinimäki. With the right coaching he could very well change his playing style to the better.
Actually the Ilves fans at Jakoaika have been saying that he's got some same tendencies, mostly regarding the lack of interest in weight training. The Jesse Niinimäki of today's got a much better attitude by all accounts.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 12:10 PM
ranford4life

Anyone have any idea where Rajala is playing this season? He's not listed on the Ilves roster on their website and EliteProspects has no new contract details. Has anyone heard anything?

ranford4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranford4life View Post
Anyone have any idea where Rajala is playing this season?
According to Aamulehti, Tampere based newspaper, he is starting the season in AHL.

In Ilves he could be fitted to first line with Marjamäki and Niinimäki, if Niinimäki is positioned in center. That would be a very strong line with good D´s Koistinen and Jokipakka and Rajala could be able to play in a role, that fitts for him.
But the negative side with Ilves is the playbook(playbook is out of date) and overall offensive lineup.

There have been some criticism about the style Rajala plays. I dont think he needs to change the style he plays. He just needs to become more effective with the puck. There are many good players, who play like Rajala, but they are much more effective.

Last edited by Ihmeilja: 09-16-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:16 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Rajala is so far down the depth chart for the Oilers now, i would be surprised if he ever makes the team or the NHL for that matter.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Bryanbryoil

I'm not going to lie, unless he's much better than he was at the last camp that he came to he won't be making our AHL squad who will be adding Eberle and RNH.

09-16-2012, 07:21 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
Rajala is so far down the depth chart for the Oilers now, i would be surprised if he ever makes the team or the NHL for that matter.
I wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself in ECHL very soon.

Then back to Europe because opponents hit hard in NA

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

This thread is actually quite funny. Some people saying that he is going to score PPG in FEL after his draft year and then jump to NHL.

People expected him to go in the 1st or 2nd round. Now the teams that thought about the gamble must be pretty happy that they didnt take him. But why did the Oilers draft him anyways. Like the worst team he could've been drafted to. No way he makes the roster.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:05 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
This thread is actually quite funny. Some people saying that he is going to score PPG in FEL after his draft year and then jump to NHL.

People expected him to go in the 1st or 2nd round. Now the teams that thought about the gamble must be pretty happy that they didnt take him. But why did the Oilers draft him anyways. Like the worst team he could've been drafted to. No way he makes the roster.
Oilers drafted him because a 4th round pick was roughly his worth at the time. He's always had a lot of potential but right now he seems like a very very likely bust (you can call him that imo with the amount of hype around him at a young age). That happens. I hope he develops into a good khl player because sometimes he can very entertaining to watch, such slick hands and skating, but sadly, low intensity level and physically built like a junior.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Oilers drafted him because a 4th round pick was roughly his worth at the time. He's always had a lot of potential but right now he seems like a very very likely bust (you can call him that imo with the amount of hype around him at a young age). That happens. I hope he develops into a good khl player because sometimes he can very entertaining to watch, such slick hands and skating, but sadly, low intensity level and physically built like a junior.
Scouts knew that he was a big gamble but still i remember people here speculating if he could go in the 1st round and then when he fell to 4th it was quite a shock.

Rajala is the perfect example of a skilled offensive forward that just wont make it in the NHL. You can always bulk up, but for Rajala its going to take too much time. His biggest problem is that he avoids the dirty areas. That and his size - there you go. Bust.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Zamuz

Quote:
Scouts knew that he was a big gamble but still i remember people here speculating if he could go in the 1st round and then when he fell to 4th it was quite a shock.

Rajala is the perfect example of a skilled offensive forward that just wont make it in the NHL. You can always bulk up, but for Rajala its going to take too much time. His biggest problem is that he avoids the dirty areas. That and his size - there you go. Bust.
Quite early to say, he was easily the best player of Ilves last season scoring 16 goals in that garbage team. He will definitely play in the NHL some day, maybe it's only few games... or a career.

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
Quite early to say, he was easily the best player of Ilves last season scoring 16 goals in that garbage team. He will definitely play in the NHL some day, maybe it's only few games... or a career.
I wouldnt say easily the best player.. Niinimaki is probably abit better or at least its close. Ilves also had one of the worst offense's in the league so..

Old
09-16-2012, 10:40 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Rajala won't ever play in the NHL. his career is likely where he already is...Europe.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Well, thats what I partly disagree, because with he´s style of play, he could be a good player.
What do you mean about the dirty areas? Doesn't go to the net? Well, many snipers play like Rajala play, but of course he should bulk up.

With Rajalas development, probably the biggest mistake was to try to fitt him to the physical play at too early. It´s like you would start weight training at age of 3.

At the moment first of all, he needs experience in a big offensive role to get more experience and confidence in his play with the puck.
Second thing is to bulk up and get more muscle. After the bulk up he should play in North America and get more experience of the NA game.

Quote:
Rajala was not the best player of the team. He was the best goal scorer, but Joonas Rask, Jesse Niinimäki ja and Masi Marjamäki are overall better forwards. Few D's were also better.

Still Rajala played a good season. I'd say, that was the light in the end of the tunnel season for Rajala.

Last edited by Ihmeilja: 09-16-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old
09-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmeilja View Post
Well, thats what I partly disagree, because with he´s style of play, he could be a good player.
What do you mean about the dirty areas? Doesn't go to the net? Well, many snipers play like Rajala play, but of course he should bulk up.

With Rajalas development, probably the biggest mistake was to try to fitt him to the physical play at too early. It´s like you would start weight training at age of 3.

At the moment first of all, he needs experience in a big offensive role to get more experience and confidence in his play with the bug.
Second thing is to bulk up and get more muscle. After the bulk up he should play in North America and get more experience of the NA game.
Well, he is skilled for sure but his offense isnt that good. He cant just dance around defenders every time he enters the zone. He looses too many puck battles. He doesnt go to the net enough. Looks for the pretty play too often. Is weak in the corners.

Normally i would agree with you. No rush to bulk up. But for him its just a must if he wants to be a star player playing against men.

Last edited by Reikai: 09-16-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old
09-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
In one game he scored one goal, but othervise did nothing.
Here are the highlites of this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidXvP4JBgQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
Rajala is a mystery to me nowadays. I saw his game against Jokerit, scored 2+1, was just plain awesome for whole match, looked very much like Gaborik. Then I check his point totals this season, about 0,4-0,5points per game..wtf?
And here are the highlites of the "Gaborik"-game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67h-udAYqMY

Old
09-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Zamuz

Quote:

Rajala was not the best player of the team. He was the best goal scorer, but Joonas Rask, Jesse Niinimäki ja and Masi Marjamäki are overall better forwards. Few D's were also better.

Still Rajala played a good season. I'd say, that was the light in the end of the tunnel season for Rajala.

Rask didn't even play a full season, can't compare. Niinimäki was close, but IMO Rajala was more dangerous player and got things done. You can't possibly be saying that any player of that D was better, worst defense in the league right there. Only "good" D was Koistinen, and he played half season and he is more of a forward than D, lol (In other words, can't play defense)

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Well, he is skilled for sure but his offense isnt that good. He cant just dance around defenders every time he enters the zone.
Thats why I think he primarily needs experience in an offensive role with big minutes. He has skill, but lacks of lethality due to he´s inexperience.
And he is good enough to play as a top 6 forward in the Sm-liiga.

Quote:
He looses too many puck battles. He doesnt go to the net enough. Looks for the pretty play too often. Is weak in the corners.

Normally i would agree with you. No rush to bulk up. But for him its just a must if he wants to be a star player playing against men.
Yes he should bulk up. I think he normally looses all the puck battles.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:59 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Hockey's Future has him ranked at a 6.0 C....let's put it this way, Tobias Rieder, a RW as well, is in a similar situation, he's smaller and skilled and had a great season in junior hockey last year, but because of his size, there are some who feel even he is a long shot to ever make the NHL, and he has passed Rajala on the Oilers prospect depth chart.

Last edited by ManByng: 09-16-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old
09-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Rask didn't even play a full season, can't compare. Niinimäki was close
I liked Rask more from his first games of the season to the end of the season. While Rajala was surffing in perimeter, Rask got inside the game and got things done more. Rajala is the type of player who you can see only in the scoreboard.
Niinimäki has sick skills, he´s skills are lightyear ahead of Rajalas and Niinimäki is very strong with the puck. Slow skater though.

Quote:
You can't possibly be saying that any player of that D was better, worst defense in the league right there. Only "good" D was Koistinen
Jokipakka could also be mentioned.

Last edited by Ihmeilja: 09-16-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old
09-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
I'd like to see what Rajala does back in North America before calling him a bust. He was over a PPG player in his rookie year in the WHL before he had to go back home to Finland.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:05 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I'd like to see what Rajala does back in North America before calling him a bust. He was over a PPG player in his rookie year in the WHL before he had to go back home to Finland.
Playing against other kids and playing against pros are two completly different things though. Wasn't Chris Dingman kind of a scorer in WHL as a junior as well?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:17 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Playing against other kids and playing against pros are two completly different things though. Wasn't Chris Dingman kind of a scorer in WHL as a junior as well?
many players who could score in the junior leagues ended up either as enforcers in the NHL if they could fight and score in junior, or a role player only. the same would apply to kids playing in men's leagues overseas...doesn't guarantee they'll be NHL ready or that they'll even make it to the NHL.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Ihmeilja

Rajalas 2011-2012 scoring would translate into AHL stats as 25g+20a=45p in 80 games.