HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Jan Mursak

Old
09-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 500
Jan Mursak

Something I don't see discussed anymore is about Mursak's place on the team, for instance, last season he was practically a lock on the team before his injury. Is all the hype and are all of the expectations for him a year ago completely gone now?

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:18 PM
THW

Talked to his future Mother-In-Law and she said that if he doesnt get more ice time, which he believes is a reason for a lackluster season, he hopes to get traded or released. He went back home for a while this off season to try to find some of his mojo he lost when he got hurt.

THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:28 PM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
i like his speed and he still has potential to be a really good 3rd liner. but idk on this team. maybe if he has a great lockout, he gets an instant roster spot.

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:41 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
The ankle injury took a step or two away last season. Really hoping the guy from Grand Rapids shows up next year, he is a useful player. Stinks for him he looks like an extra forward here, but I would probably expose Emmerton before him assuming his stride looks back to normal if/when camp happens this year.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

There's not much else to his game besides being a fast skater. While that can be a very important component to a bottom 6 player, you have to bring something else to the table to compliment that. Helm is fast, but can do so many other things. I guess if you want to use Eaves as an example too, he's fast, but also has a great shot and happens to be right handed. Although who knows when he'll play again...

With the jam at forward, would you really rather take Mursak over someone like Tatar?

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
I guess if you want to use Eaves as an example too, he's fast, but also has a great shot and happens to be right handed.
Mursak has those as well. A deceptive hard shot, good release not the accuracy of Eaves who has been a 20 goal scorer in this league shows that. I think Eaves is better when healthy a little more grit. Then again we haven't got to see a whole lot of Mursak in the NHL. He was a good PK guy in GR, I still like a lot of his traits if his big speed returns. In fact the shot trait is the very thing constantly pointed out by Babcock when he talks about him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:20 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Mursak has been wasted by the Wings. He should have been on the team two years ago.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:37 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Mursak has been wasted by the Wings. He should have been on the team two years ago.
Agreed. I'm really starting to second guess the Wings prospect philosophy.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Agreed. I'm really starting to second guess the Wings prospect philosophy.
Their philosophy can be fine as long as they give the young kids an actual chance to earn a spot. It seems like so often they say "they have to earn it" by which they really mean "we're going to sign a bunch of old players and you'll never really have a shot."

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Marky9er

I know some people like him and 1 person loves him, but I think he's knocked off the puck easily and doesn't fill any needs on this team. Undeniably, this team has small skilled forwards in spades....Mursak is the anti-thesis to the stated goal of getting bigger and tougher so I find him moving on to be inevitable. I'm sure their could be a fit for him elsewhere, maybe in the NHL but more likely Europe or minor league career player. Could be a stop gap player but not much else. IMO there's too many prospects leapfrogging him now and the next few years.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:08 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I think Mursak being speedy and a right hand shot means he'll have a chance to play in this league ..
He has good hands.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:09 PM
claudetheturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I think Mursak being speedy and a right hand shot means he'll have a chance to play in this league ..
He has good hands.
Yeah. I'd agree. He'll play somewhere, I think. The question is where. We have 25 players on our roster right now: 16 F, 7 D, and 2 G. So that means 2 of the following 4 players need to be cut: Miller, Mursak, Emmerton, and Eaves.

I suppose cutting Brunner would also be an option, but only if the lockout should last a whole year.

And does anyone here know whether we're even allowed to cut Eaves (because he's injured)?

If not, that means we need to cut 2 of the following 3 players: Miller, Mursak, and Emmerton.

Last edited by claudetheturtle: 09-16-2012 at 05:12 PM.
claudetheturtle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Spitfire11

Too many geezers taking up potential roster spots for him. Even with a great camp it'd be hard for him to get IT.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:24 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
I hope he sticks around for a couple more seasons until guys like Bertuzzi, Cleary and Samuelsson are gone and he gets a good chance in our middle six.

09-16-2012, 08:48 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Largely because of his injury, it is difficult to tell what Wings management thinks of him at this point, or what their plans are for him. Frankly, no one here knows what's going to happen with him, but it will be interesting to see how things unfold. I think he can potentially be a pretty useful player, he has nice tools and some good skill.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:08 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailderby View Post
Yeah. I'd agree. He'll play somewhere, I think. The question is where. We have 25 players on our roster right now: 16 F, 7 D, and 2 G. So that means 2 of the following 4 players need to be cut: Miller, Mursak, Emmerton, and Eaves.

I suppose cutting Brunner would also be an option, but only if the lockout should last a whole year.

And does anyone here know whether we're even allowed to cut Eaves (because he's injured)?

If not, that means we need to cut 2 of the following 3 players: Miller, Mursak, and Emmerton.
Actually, it would mean only one cut, as with Eaves on LTIR there are now only 24 roster players, 15 of which are forwards.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:44 AM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Its a shame, I hope he gets a chance somewhere soon. The guy has potential.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:52 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Its a shame, I hope he gets a chance somewhere soon. The guy has potential.
Yeah and I doubt that opportunity is coming in Detroit.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:45 AM
TS Quint

Mursak is in no way, shape or form a NHL player. Maybe for the Islanders. He's too small and weak. Just another 5'10 prospect for the Wings and he is only the 5th best one. There are only so many spots any team can have for players this size.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Mursak might be 5'11'', but he's listed at 190 lbs. A guy like Miller is three inches taller, but weighs just 178. Plus, Mursak has speed to burn. I'd take my chances with the short and stout speedster over the string bean.

10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

The other thing I like about Mursak is that he's smart (scholastically) and he works hard.
When other members of the Saginaw Spirit were getting in trouble, Mursak was getting straight As and being and upstanding citizen

Sure, if he was dumb as a rock and 6'3, that would be great. But Mursak seems like the kind of kid who will do what needs to be done to get his best shot.

Old
10-02-2012, 10:40 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

He has the red wing attitude which is nice, but he us missing the strength. He's weak and that's a problem, especially at his age.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
He has the red wing attitude which is nice, but he us missing the strength. He's weak and that's a problem, especially at his age.
I don't think he's weak.

Old
10-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Harnessed in Slums

He was guaranteed a roster spot coming into last season while Emmerton was on the outside looking in. What Emmerton has in his favor is he's a center and that allowed the Wings to put Abby at wing where he's at his best. Mursak could be a good speedy PK'er and forechecker and would probably be best suited on a line with Abdelkader and Helm. I hope he gets a shot but getting injured last year might have crushed any shot he had at earning a spot with the club. I think he'll be a legit NHL'er, not another Mattias Ritola.

The Wings over-ripe philosophy has a lot going for it but there are guys playing in GR who could make the team better but will not be given a shot because they can be sent down without being subjected to waivers. That's just how it goes and Mursak quite possibly saw his one shot last year go up in flames due to no fault of his own. We'll have to wait and see how everything shakes out.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 12:21 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
He was guaranteed a roster spot coming into last season while Emmerton was on the outside looking in. What Emmerton has in his favor is he's a center and that allowed the Wings to put Abby at wing where he's at his best. Mursak could be a good speedy PK'er and forechecker and would probably be best suited on a line with Abdelkader and Helm. I hope he gets a shot but getting injured last year might have crushed any shot he had at earning a spot with the club. I think he'll be a legit NHL'er, not another Mattias Ritola.

The Wings over-ripe philosophy has a lot going for it but there are guys playing in GR who could make the team better but will not be given a shot because they can be sent down without being subjected to waivers. That's just how it goes and Mursak quite possibly saw his one shot last year go up in flames due to no fault of his own. We'll have to wait and see how everything shakes out.
Emmerton also played his way into the season opener's lineup. The Wings will probably burn off Eaves and one (or more) of Miller/Mursak/Emmerton. And it may depend on how they see Abby, Andersson and Sheahan going forward; if they have Abby slotted as #4 for the forseeable future, Emmerton is probably outs with Eaves. If they want to get him back on the wing, Emmy stays unless they want to put Andersson or Sheahan on the team this year. Miller slotted himself clearly ahead of Eaves in terms of "please don't waive me or trade me to a cellar dweller" with his performance last year. He'd also be ahead of Abby and possibly even Helm in that respect if he were a similar age. Mursak is basically waiting to see where the chips fall; he doesn't have nearly as much control over the situation as the others did - and Mursak's chances diminished because of Miller and Emmerton taking advantage of their chances while Eaves also suffered injury.

As for an Abdelkader/Helm line... the proper third forward for that line is Tootoo. Aside from that, you build three scoring lines around Dats, Z, Flip, Franzen, Cleary, Sammy, Bert, and two of Nyquist/Brunner/Tatar

I'm a fan of:

Bert/Dats/Brunner
Nyquist/Z/Sammy
Franzen/Flip/Cleary

Alternatively:

Flip/Dats/Brunner
Nyquist/Z/Sammy
Bert/Franzen/Cleary

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote