HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Molson the one who will lose most if...

Old
09-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Habs Junkie

vCash: 500
Is Molson the one who will lose most if...

Is Molson the one who will lose most out of anyone involved in the NHL if there is a lockout?
  • He just bought the team not too long ago,
  • fired old staff (if they are still under contract, he is still paying them)
  • hired a new GM who then hired a boatload of people in the admin staff + coaches
  • New condo development next to Bell Center (requires lots of cash to get off the ground)
  • paying for Brossard complex
  • if Quebec labour board sides with players, he must pay full salaries without any revenue

Seems like a lot of expenses for Molson in the last few years. So I wonder, if a lockout happens, is Molson the one who stands to lose the most out of anyone involved?

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

He also financed the purchase with some debt which isn't a problem since the Habs constantly make money, but a lockout would mean he has to pay interest without any revenue.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:46 AM
76ftw

He's still really rich. He'll make it out okay. No need to worry for him.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:53 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

The OP has a point. Hopefully, he will crack and the players will get everything they want in the negotiation. I'm tired of the owners getting their way all of the time.

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
ole ole ole ole ole ole, want to buy a Condo in the heart........

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
vokiel
#NHLRefsAreClowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
ole ole ole ole ole ole, want to buy a Condo in the heart........
You know there's already plenty of condos downtown that you could buy? Just go for a walk there and in the old port at the end of McGill street. I don't know what's up with that, not like most of us have the bank accounts to live there.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 01:22 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

The Canadiens are owned by a consortium or a group of entities, not solely by the Molson family right?

Molson is a wealthy man with great business sense. The Canadiens are one of the most profitable teams and best positioned to weather the storm.

Lockout, is basically a lose situation for EVERYONE and a win situation for alternative sports, perhaps.

I feel the Canadiens have the most to gain from a lock out, not that I want one. The reason being is that we have a lot of good youth coming up the ranks and a lot of deadwood that needs to come off the books...

Plus...Galchenyuk in 2013/2014 should be a real treat...for us all.

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 03:43 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

I'd say small market teams will suffer a lot...

those who have a hard time filling the arena will lose custommers, the guy about to buy the Yotes may not like knowing his team will not play the 1st year he has them, teams like Nashville who recently got their head out of the water are probably not interested in making steps back cause of a lock out either.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 04:33 PM
bipolarhabfan

I wont lose my breath over millions lost by an already ridiculously rich owner. He probably has people working for him who know the calculus of accounting and corporate law working feverishly to lessen the economic impact of a lockout. I worry most about the average worker in concessions, in cleaning services, people who usher, people who work in pubs and restaurants, etc. set to lose much needed pay for food and shelter, and the fans who have to go through this again. In short, I am concerned most for those at the bottom of the corporate chain, workers who make the spectacle possible.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I wont lose my breath over millions lost by an already ridiculously rich owner. He probably has people working for him who know the calculus of accounting and corporate law working feverishly to lessen the economic impact of a lockout. I worry most about the average worker in concessions, in cleaning services, people who usher, people who work in pubs and restaurants, etc. set to lose much needed pay for food and shelter, and the fans who have to go through this again. In short, I am concerned most for those at the bottom of the corporate chain, workers who make the spectacle possible.
Amen to this, as far as I'm concerned the problems of multimillionaires don't keep me awake at night. It's the restaurant and pub owners as well as the employees of those establishments that will be effected more if the season is lost. I feel for them more than I do any NHL team owners.

Saintpatrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Habs Junkie

Good comments, and I agree with most of you that yes he is very rich and probably going to get through a lockout with ease.

I should of specified though that I was talking about the hockey world, when you compare his losses and risks of a lockout compared to other owners, NHL execs, even coaches and players. I think that, as an individual, Geoff Molson stands to take the biggest loss through this lockout.

I don't have actual numbers to this it's just a theory but it makes sense. I'm hoping some of the numbers guys around here can help out.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
The OP has a point. Hopefully, he will crack and the players will get everything they want in the negotiation. I'm tired of the owners getting their way all of the time.
You think it would be good for the players to get everything they want? You'll get a lot of disagreement on that score. I could see a few bankruptcies on the horizon and future contracts at big discounts because many RFAs and UFAs wouldn't get rehired.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:22 PM
lostriver

He can always raise price of beer in BC to like.... 25$

lostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I wish people would start to get it that Geoff Molson is not "The Owner". He leads a 7 entity consortium that includes The Molson Family, of which he is a member and investor.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:12 AM
29dryden29

I think in a lockout the owners should be saddles with an extra year of players contracts if they actually burn a year in a lockout an extra year should be tacked on at the end to penalize the owners for the lockout and at full salary no less.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I wish people would start to get it that Geoff Molson is not "The Owner". He leads a 7 entity consortium that includes The Molson Family, of which he is a member and investor.
He's also the CEO, chair of the board and co-owner.

Splitting hairs aside, he's the owner.

Geoff Molson

Position: Owner, President and Chief Executive Officer, Club de hockey Canadien, Bell Centre & evenko

Source: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=63273

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
He's also the CEO, chair of the board and co-owner.

Splitting hairs aside, he's the owner.

Geoff Molson

Position: Owner, President and Chief Executive Officer, Club de hockey Canadien, Bell Centre & evenko

Source: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=63273
I am quite aware of his position within the company. From an ownership perspective he is not as exposed as people would like to think. He's part of a family who is part of a large ownership group. He's not "The Owner".

Old
09-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
I am quite aware of his position within the company. From an ownership perspective he is not as exposed as people would like to think. He's part of a family who is part of a large ownership group. He's not "The Owner".
The Habs seem to disagree with you, considering they have him listed as the owner.

Yes, he's a co-owner, and yes he represents Molson as the chairman of the board, but if we are getting down to brass tacks, he's the owner. (Or co-owner if semantics are your thing)

Old
09-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
The Habs seem to disagree with you, considering they have him listed as the owner.

Yes, he's a co-owner, and yes he represents Molson as the chairman of the board, but if we are getting down to brass tacks, he's the owner. (Or co-owner if semantics are your thing)
You can't seem to get it straight, a co-owner can't be THE owner.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
You can't seem to get it straight, a co-owner can't be THE owner.

So you are stuck up on the use of the word 'the'?

I am not using it as part of his title (as you are), I am using it to mark a noun as being used generically.

Yes, he's the owner (along with others, of course, they are in turn, the owners), but no he is not the sole owner. Is that what you were getting at? If so, I think you are misunderstanding when people say he's the owner. They aren't implying it's a sole proprietorship, they are indicating that he owns part of the company and runs it as the figure head. The, in this case, is not being used as his title.

Last edited by Dr Gonzo: 09-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old
09-16-2012, 11:39 AM
pine*

**** Molson.

**** Molson beer.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:04 PM
danyhabsfan

The teams that will loose the more are the team who gave bonuses that theyll have to pay anyway.

Nashville for example.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:06 PM
le_sean

He can just fill the Bell Centre with events and shows, not a big deal. It's not like he will just keep the building empty for the winter.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Rest assured that the owners will not need to pay the players if they are not playing, this is a non-starter. If the labour code prevents an organization from locking out union members it most certainly has to permit a "lay-off" during times when there is no work to do. You cannot force a company to pay an employee if there is no reason to employ them.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Rest assured that the owners will not need to pay the players if they are not playing, this is a non-starter. If the labour code prevents an organization from locking out union members it most certainly has to permit a "lay-off" during times when there is no work to do. You cannot force a company to pay an employee if there is no reason to employ them.
What about the contract obligation? The players signed a contract valid for the 2012-13 season. If the lockout is deemed illegal, then wouldn't Molson have to pay the players their contracts?

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote