Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving Seguin to Center

Old
09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
DohBruins

vCash: 500
Moving Seguin to Center

In posts that involve Krejci being moved, there are always responses like "...and I'm not sure that Seguin is ready to take on the center position." This just does not make any sense to me.

Can someone please explain this to me? How is a guy who leads a second-place finishing team, in goals and points, and is not a liability defensively not ready for full-time center duties? I know that the first response will be "Julien doesn't rush his youngsters", so don't write that because, I already know that, and Seguin shouldn't be considered a "youngster."

Please, someone reason with me.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Because playing center is more than goals and assists and not being a liability defensively.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:57 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
Because playing center is more than goals and assists and not being a liability defensively.
...and what would that be?

Old
09-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Rubber Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
Well faceoffs is one big one. Most here would argue that Seguin isn't very good at faceoffs. As for defensive liability, Julian would never trust him to be a top center until he's strong defensively.

I would have no problem moving him to center, though. I think if he had regular center duties, he would get into a groove and it would work out fine.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:07 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Watch Bergy......THAT is a player who plays a sound game in all 3 zones, perhaps not a great measuring stick as Bergy's one of the best but.

Krejci too, as much as I hound the guy, rarely does he cost the Bruins with missed defensive assignments. The centermans role, especially on a Julien coached team is huge, and while I have no doubt Segs will get there, I'm not in any rush to move him there now

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:15 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
In posts that involve Krejci being moved, there are always responses like "...and I'm not sure that Seguin is ready to take on the center position." This just does not make any sense to me.

Can someone please explain this to me? How is a guy who leads a second-place finishing team, in goals and points, and is not a liability defensively not ready for full-time center duties? I know that the first response will be "Julien doesn't rush his youngsters", so don't write that because, I already know that, and Seguin shouldn't be considered a "youngster."

Please, someone reason with me.
I don't think he is ready to be the #1 center on a Stanley Cup contender just yet. That doesn't mean he won't be very soon, but the kid is probably going to need some more actual NHL experience against top defensive parings and top defensive centers who are great at face offs.

Seguin isn't going to get better at center unless he plays center, there is more defensive responsibilty, Seguin needs to play in order to get better at this and right now there is really little need to play him at center when they have the players they have.

He has to prove that he is a better option at center than David Krejci.

I half expected Chiarelli to let Kelly walk and move Seguin to center for this season and ease him in as the 3rd line center, that isn't going to happen now and it just doesn't look to me like moving Seguin to center right now(when the season starts) is what is best for the team unless they were to acquire another wing. Seguin makes a better wing than either Kelly or Krejci and we all know that Bergeron isn't being moved from center except for on the powerplay.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:20 PM
BrainOfJ
Diva

can't learn center without being a center.

For some reason there are posters that think he'll get better at faceoffs by not taking them, when faceoffs are something you can only get better at with game situation reps.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:27 PM
DohBruins

Malkin is one of the best players in the world, yet perennially he is one of the worst faceoff takers in the NHL.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I just don't understand why we have to rush him.

There's absolutely no reason to. We have two #1 centers in Krejci and Bergeron. Let him develop his offensive and scoring game on the wing, and when/if the time comes, try it out. There's no need to take a gamble. If we trade Krejci and Seguin isn't good at center, we have Peverley or Kelly centering our 2nd line. I'll pass on that, thank you.

A lot of you underestimate Krejci. Yes, he's not a bonafide #1C, but he kills penalties in Claude Julien's system and he's good for 60-70 points every year. He's great at taking faceoffs, is a terrific passer, and he has a very accurate shot.

So, what the hell is the rush to move Seguin to center? Just saying, getting rid of Krejci(and not getting a RWer as a return) puts Peverley in full time as our 2nd line RW. He works for the 2nd line, but I'm sure most of us would agree he's far more effective on the 3rd.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
You can learn how to play center without being one of the 4 men assigned as a starting center.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

He's 20, theres no rush. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a center when he's 24 ish

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I just don't understand why we have to rush him.

There's absolutely no reason to. We have two #1 centers in Krejci and Bergeron. Let him develop his offensive and scoring game on the wing, and when/if the time comes, try it out. There's no need to take a gamble. If we trade Krejci and Seguin isn't good at center, we have Peverley or Kelly centering our 2nd line. I'll pass on that, thank you.

A lot of you underestimate Krejci. Yes, he's not a bonafide #1C, but he kills penalties in Claude Julien's system and he's good for 60-70 points every year. He's great at taking faceoffs, is a terrific passer, and he has a very accurate shot.

So, what the hell is the rush to move Seguin to center? Just saying, getting rid of Krejci(and not getting a RWer as a return) puts Peverley in full time as our 2nd line RW. He works for the 2nd line, but I'm sure most of us would agree he's far more effective on the 3rd.
The fans can rush Seguin to center as much as they want, but it's the Bruins administration that has the say, and Chiarelli is on record as saying Seguin's staying at wing for the foreseeable future.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:

For some reason there are posters that think he'll get better at faceoffs by not taking them, when faceoffs are something you can only get better at with game situation reps.
Strength is something that will win many faceoffs, that is mental and physical strength.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:23 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't think Seguin would have any problems moving to the middle. I was very hard on him his first year for being soft on the puck and really raw defensively, but last year I did not think he was a liability at all. In fact, he often took on the center's role on his line as the first guy back, and regularly made smart plays against top lines. He still has room to grow in terms of his board work, but I think he's as good (defensively) now as Savard was- and that was good enough for Julien and co. Fwiw, I think Seguin would be lethal coming out of the zone with the puck on his stick and the whole width of the ice to use (as opposed to being stuck on the wall).

That said, the Bruins have the luxury of having three really good defensive centers already so, as much as I'd love to see it, I understand that there's no need to force the transition just yet.

Edit: Regarding faceoffs, he only had 43% last year, but I believe his 2 year career average is closer to ~48% which isn't too shabby considering he's only taken draws sporadically.

09-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Bonecrusher11
Swedish goal king

I'm sure that Julien knows what he's doing, he probably has Seguin practice face offs against Bergy, Kelly, Soupy, and Krejci.

Bonecrusher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:13 PM
ODAAT

Quote:

Could be mistaken but Bergy arrived in Boston as an 18 year old who was already mature defensively yet still played a lot of wing for the B's. Watching and observing is also a valuable tool

Old
09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
BrainOfJ
Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Could be mistaken but Bergy arrived in Boston as an 18 year old who was already mature defensively yet still played a lot of wing for the B's. Watching and observing is also a valuable tool
With defense yes, but I'm talking strictly faceoffs here...can't learn them without doing them. They're about timing, rhythm, feel, etc. stuff that you can't pick up on observing

but at the same time, we forget this is the position he's been playing since youth. While undoubtably different at the NHL level, I'm sure he'd have pains, but long term it would be great IMO.

To go back to your example of Bergwron, if they don't stick him at center, he's not the player he is today. Same as Giroux, Stamkos, and many other cases around the league

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Ratty

Tyler, the soon to be multimillionaire, played centre throughout his hockey career until he was forced to the wing by Bruins management. So his faceoffs are not Ratelle-esque. He can learn and not hurt the team in the transition. Let someone else take the faceoff until he's ready. What's the big deal? Let him play his natural position.

Your analogy is not applicable here. Moving Yaz to the outfield took him to a less skilled position. Buccholz changed career paths entirely.

Last edited by Ratty: 09-17-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Tyler, the soon to be multimillionaire, played centre throughout his hockey career until he was forced to the wing by Bruins management. So his faceoffs are not Ratelle-esque. He can learn and not hurt the team in the transition. Let someone else take the faceoff until he's ready. What's the big deal? Let him play his natural position.
Sorry, but the "natural position" assertion always makes me . Did Seguin come out of the womb with "center" stamped on his forehead?

He's doing fine as a wing, better than fine in fact. He isn't the first NHL wing who played play center in junior, and he won't be the last. It's like shortstop in baseball. Clay Buchholz was a shortstop. Carl Yastremski was a shortstop. A significant number of talented baseball players play shortstop when they're young; same with hockey players playing center.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:14 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
With defense yes, but I'm talking strictly faceoffs here...can't learn them without doing them. They're about timing, rhythm, feel, etc. stuff that you can't pick up on observing

but at the same time, we forget this is the position he's been playing since youth. While undoubtably different at the NHL level, I'm sure he'd have pains, but long term it would be great IMO.

To go back to your example of Bergwron, if they don't stick him at center, he's not the player he is today. Same as Giroux, Stamkos, and many other cases around the league
There`s a thread about every 6 weeks here about having Segs play center, we all know what his natural position is. Look, IF this team didn`t have Krejci, Segs would be a centerman, and I am fairly sure, this team would be fine however, I don`t think he`s as strong as DK is positionally when it comes to defensive awareness, and THAT is what Julien wants and expects of his centerman.

Right now, why on earth would you put him up the middle and disrupt any chemistry that`s well in place after a year where he made great strides and I`ll suggest will do so again if/when this season begins and where would you put him keeping in mind the shifts in personel you`d be making???? You putting him there in place of Krejci, then move Krejci to the wing??? Nope, Bergy??? Nope, Kelly, then you would now have Segs on a 3rd line, with the chemistry gone established last year with Bergy/Marchand??? Um, nope, unless Krejci is moved, the Segs as centerman thing just isn`t happening.

Last edited by ODAAT: 09-17-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old
09-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Sorry, but the "natural position" assertion always makes me . Did Seguin come out of the womb with "center" stamped on his forehead?

He's doing fine as a wing, better than fine in fact. He isn't the first NHL wing who played play center in junior, and he won't be the last. It's like shortstop in baseball. Clay Buchholz was a shortstop. Carl Yastremski was a shortstop. A significant number of talented baseball players play shortstop when they're young; same with hockey players playing center.
It gives the team flexibility knowing it can shift Tyler to centre if it chooses to move Krejci. And he's fine defensively.

Your analogy is not applicable here. Yaz moved from a skilled position to one less skilled. And Buccholz, why he took a completely new career path.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
You can learn how to play center without being one of the 4 men assigned as a starting center.
Yea, just like Rich Peverly! Who played center for years and years and years and years.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:15 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Malkin is one of the best players in the world, yet perennially he is one of the worst faceoff takers in the NHL.
It's getting much clearer statistically that faceoffs are much less important than widely perceived but.....On this team where 2 way hockey by all trumps individual talent,Seguin is still on the left side of the learning curve.I suspect they give it another year.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Yikes, some rather extreme opinions here.

How dare the mess up the chemistry! Oh the humanity. Though I am not surprised at those who are making the claims

Seguin will find his way to center eventually. I would rather them play him there for a a little while then decide what to do with Krejci, rather than just jump into it blind.

Lucic-Seguin-Marchand
XX-Krejci-Horton
Peverley-Bergeron-Kelly

I think that lineup would be pretty good.

Never liked the Seguin-Bergeron combo, doesn't really give the line a purpose.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:29 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Seguin will find his way to center eventually. I would rather them play him there for a a little while then decide what to do with Krejci, rather than just jump into it blind.
Pretty much. I wouldn't have a problem with Seguin at center. But why do that when we have Bergeron and Krejci centering the top two lines and working out pretty well?

I'm cool if CJ mixes it up and sticks Seguin at center instead of #37 or #46 as an experiment to see how well it works out. But we all know he won't do that.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline   Reply With Quote