HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov KHL Thread | 7GP: 5G-2A-7PTS | Next Game: Oct. 19th 6AM MST

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 02:18 PM
SephF
See you next time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Lets wait till he plays with the big boys before we crown him the next big thing.

Speaking of, how will this work for his ego? Is he gonna start demanding trades unless he's playing in the NHL now? Or will he even give us a chance to trade him?
You realize every team is locked out not just the Oilers right?

Old
09-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
I'm sure the Comrie incident would give him some inspiration.
And Comrie could've netted Perry and a 1st, had Lowe pulled that trade off instead of being a hot head you'd need to find something else to complain about.

Since you seem to like taking the negative side of things I will take the counter point and shut this down in a hurry.

Fact: We signed one of the most highly sought after FA's to the same contract that any team in the league could've signed him to.

Fact: He chose Edmonton because he likes what we're doing here and he likes the city.

Fact: He did not cost us any assets to acquire.

Fact: If he demands a trade later on and he reaches his upside we will get a trade return for a player that we got for free asset wise.

Fact: If he doesn't pan out he will stay in the AHL until we trade him, or lose him on waivers.

09-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
You realize every team is locked out not just the Oilers right?
Apparently not, or maybe he doesn't know what a lockout is just like he doesn't know what a blue chip prospect is or how it's actually good to sign highly touted FA's to reasonable deals?

Old
09-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Apparently not, or maybe he doesn't know what a lockout is just like he doesn't know what a blue chip prospect is or how it's actually good to sign highly touted FA's to reasonable deals?
My apologies for not having much faith in a kid with an attitude problem.

I'm wary of pro athletes as a whole, and especially ones that lie to the face of their teams.

Oh well. Once hockey gets going, we'll see how HFOil's little hype job lives up.

Last edited by Q Continuum: 09-16-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old
09-16-2012, 03:33 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

I'm wary of pro athletes as a whole, and especially ones that lie to the face of their teams.
Your post in the Schultz signing thread would make it seem you were very happy with the signing.

What changed?

Old
09-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Your post in the Schultz signing thread would make it seem you were very happy with the signing.

What changed?
I was happy to get an FA, but I'm keeping my hopes in check, especially with Oil fans going full hype mode on him. Oil fans keep proclaiming the next player as the God-King of the franchise, it's getting funny.

Despite my happiness at signing him, I was never impressed with him lying to the Ducks. **** like that is an indicator of greater attitude issues that Oil fans want desperately to overlook.

I feel horrible for the Ducks and wish they could have gotten some compensation, but they were lied to and lead to believe they had more time than they had. By then, you can't even trade his rights because teams can just wait until he becomes UFA.

Old
09-16-2012, 03:42 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I was happy to get an FA, but I'm keeping my hopes in check, especially with Oil fans going full hype mode on him. Oil fans keep proclaiming the next player as the God-King of the franchise, it's getting funny.

Despite my happiness at signing him, I was never impressed with him lying to the Ducks. **** like that is an indicator of greater attitude issues that Oil fans want desperately to overlook.
The poster you replied to only said Schultz would be a top-end defenseman in the AHL.

It that really a stretch considering Schultz's performance in the NCAA?

Old
09-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
The poster you replied to only said Schultz would be a top-end defenseman in the AHL.

It that really a stretch considering Schultz's performance in the NCAA?
We'll see what happens. He's put a lot of pressure on himself with his antics and has a lot to prove. I won't be surprised if he can't live up to the hype he's given himself.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:09 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
We'll see what happens. He's put a lot of pressure on himself with his antics and has a lot to prove. I won't be surprised if he can't live up to the hype he's given himself.
Just for comparison's sake, check out the first season of the most recent Wisconsin defensemen who went pro:

Jake Gardiner: 2 points in 4 AHL games and 30 points in 75 NHL games
Brendan Smith: 32 points(and 124 PIMs) in 63 AHL games
Ryan McDonagh: 8 points(and +1) in 38 AHL games and 9 points(and +16) in 40 NHL games
Cody Goloubef: 17 points(and 42 PIMs) in 50 AHL games
Jamie McBain: 40 points(and +11) in 68 AHL games and 10 points in 14 NHL games
Davis Drewiske: 14 points(and 95 PIMs) in 61 games and 3 points(and +1) in 17 NHL games

As you can see, there's a reason to be excited about Schultz. Outside of Smith(a Red Wings prospect) and Goloubef(a lesser prospect), all of the Badgers defenseman excelled in the AHL and were promoted to the NHL in their first pro season.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:

Oh well. Once hockey gets going, we'll see how HFOil's little hype job lives up.
We don't know what his motives were, maybe he only wanted to play for us and didn't want his rights traded to another club? If so how do you propose he accomplish this without the Oilers having to pay a hefty price or to guarantee that he got here? Either way he wanted to come here and we own his rights for a number of years. Does it suck for the Ducks? Hell yeah, does it mean that he's a POS? I don't think so but I'm sure that a lot of people do. Either way I am thrilled that the kid chose us and will be part of our core going forward.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
I don't recall him once saying he is awesome or would do well. Pretty sure the media and fans gave him the hype. And I wouldnt call using an option to pick where you want to play antics. He made a decision about where he wants to play which was in his right. But ya feel free to continue bashing because you don't like the options he was given.

Old
09-16-2012, 04:52 PM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
not sure what his "antics" as you call them, have anything to do with his actual skill level. your expecting him to fail based on a percieved attitude issue you believe him to have, not because you believe his skill set to be inadequate for the NHL.

basically you don't like the kid, because he used a legal loophole in his contract in his favor, so you think he'll fail? that's pretty specious reasoning.

Old
09-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Jamin

Thought this was a Duck fan before I looked at his name and picture

Old
09-17-2012, 05:59 PM
SDig14

For me personally, I would be pretty upset if I was a Ducks fan.

That being said, leaving a team in that manner does not necessarily lead to further character issues. I mean, just recently over the last couple years we have seen guys like Turris and Wheeler leave and not only have success elsewhere but have management of their new teams commend them for character and work ethic.

It's unfortunate for the Ducks, but we do not know all of the facts.

I am the type of person that judges the player as an Oiler, and he has said and done everything right since we signed him so I will take that as truth if he proves me wrong.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Yeah, we don't know what goes on the ducks organization and it seems like everyone except for Teemu Selanne kind of wants to get out of there.

Old
09-17-2012, 08:01 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Yeah, we don't know what goes on the ducks organization and it seems like everyone except for Teemu Selanne kind of wants to get out of there.
I think people just don't like Teemu Selanne

Old
09-18-2012, 01:48 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

What do you think the lines will look like in OKC now?

Old
09-18-2012, 08:40 PM
jebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
What do you think the lines will look like in OKC now?

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Justin Schultz's first professional defense partner will be Martin Marincin, says OKC Barons head coach Todd Nelson.

Nelson says his top PP unit will be Schultz up top, Eberle on off side, RNH on half wall, Paajarvi down low and Hartikainen front of net.

OKC Barons head coach Todd Nelson tells me that Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle will play on the same line, likely with Paajarvi or Hartikainen.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Justin Schultz's first professional defense partner will be Martin Marincin, says OKC Barons head coach Todd Nelson.

Nelson says his top PP unit will be Schultz up top, Eberle on off side, RNH on half wall, Paajarvi down low and Hartikainen front of net.

OKC Barons head coach Todd Nelson tells me that Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle will play on the same line, likely with Paajarvi or Hartikainen.

Although most predicted these lines, it is glorious to read straight from the mouth of Todd Nelson.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:46 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

I agree with all of this.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:47 PM
SDig14

Dream scenario for Paajarvi IMO, since he gets the added confidence of developing his offensive game in the AHL while playing with two NHL all-stars coming off very good seasons at the level he is trying to achieve.

That PP should be able to bury teams if they aren't disciplined.

Hopefully there are plans for Sportsnet to pick up some games this year.

Old
09-18-2012, 08:51 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 1340
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
I would love to see PRV get the top line minutes with Eberle and RNH

09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Todd Nelson is great.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:

I love how people call Schultz's hype the product of HFOil. If anything, him being an Oiler de-hyped him. When he was a Free Agent, everybody wanted the guy who could potentially be a #1 defenseman. The moment Oilers get him, everybody calls him overrated and a top 4 guy at best.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post

Although most predicted these lines, it is glorious to read straight from the mouth of Todd Nelson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

I agree with all of this.

IMO you throw the role to Paajarvi first, IMO he could use the confidence boost the most, if he doesn't show after 15-20 games that he's able to get the job done then you throw Harski up there and give him a similar audition.

As for Marincin and Schultz being a pairing, that should be pretty interesting. That PP is going to tear the AHL a new one and then another new one

Closed Thread