HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Edler as Pronger's Replacement?

Old
09-16-2012, 01:51 PM
GretzkysOffice

vCash: 500
Edler as Pronger's Replacement?

We heard Shane Doan re-signing with the Coyotes on Friday ahead of the deadline.
We heard Alex Burrows getting an extension with the Canucks.
We didn't hear from Edler signing an extension with the Canucks.

This got some of us concerned that maybe something else is in the works in the background.

Possibly a trade.

Pronger doesn't seem to be coming back. I wonder what Edler would fetch from the Flyers?

GretzkysOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Canucks fans think that Edler would command Couturier + Schenn +

He was god damn terrible in the playoffs. Wouldn't give up couturier, schenn, and more for him if he's going to play like that

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:09 PM
flyerfanish

Last year on the contract?
12/13 season ended before it started, so how about a 2nd round pick for the negotiation rights?

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:11 PM
GretzkysOffice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanish View Post
Last year on the contract?
12/13 season ended before it started, so how about a 2nd round pick for the negotiation rights?
i understand wanting to get the best deal but really? a 2nd round pick? is that the consensus or something you came up with all by yourself?

GretzkysOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:22 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Canucks fans think that Edler would command Couturier + Schenn +

He was god damn terrible in the playoffs. Wouldn't give up couturier, schenn, and more for him if he's going to play like that
of course not. we saw the two players you mention they would want "step it up" in the playoffs. both of those guys are untouchable. **** edler. we could've had weber and we laughed. the whole presumption that we are retarded enough to trade one or both guys we traded two proven cornerstones for is a total form of hatred for our hockey team. i read an annoying article bout how were so impatient as an organization. i see several "patient" teams get nowhere with their resistance to free agency and their unproven draft picks. we are a team that wants a cup. we prove it every season. thats why we are the best team in the NHL as far as from a fan perspective. And when we do win that ****in cup it'll mean so much more than say when oh i don't know the hurricanes or the ducks or the kings. theres nothing wrong with tradition and personality in a sport. if parity financially is so great then continue the last cba contract. we pay the tickets. you pay the right players you make money. there should be no protection for stupidity. the owners are not 5 year olds and they don't sacrifice ****. this lockout shoulve been dealt with already.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KassiansMissingTooth View Post
i understand wanting to get the best deal but really? a 2nd round pick? is that the consensus or something you came up with all by yourself?
He was being sarcastic, but ultimately it doesn't make sense for the Flyers to give up much right now. What team is going to give up anything significant for a player that can sign elsewhere without ever playing a game for them? Poor timing for a trade.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:35 PM
CTU2fan

I really think Edler makes more sense as a Kimmo replacement, next summer as a FA.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
of course not. we saw the two players you mention they would want "step it up" in the playoffs. both of those guys are untouchable. **** edler. we could've had weber and we laughed. the whole presumption that we are retarded enough to trade one or both guys we traded two proven cornerstones for is a total form of hatred for our hockey team. i read an annoying article bout how were so impatient as an organization. i see several "patient" teams get nowhere with their resistance to free agency and their unproven draft picks. we are a team that wants a cup. we prove it every season. thats why we are the best team in the NHL as far as from a fan perspective. And when we do win that ****in cup it'll mean so much more than say when oh i don't know the hurricanes or the ducks or the kings. theres nothing wrong with tradition and personality in a sport. if parity financially is so great then continue the last cba contract. we pay the tickets. you pay the right players you make money. there should be no protection for stupidity. the owners are not 5 year olds and they don't sacrifice ****. this lockout shoulve been dealt with already.
Ok, I tried really hard to read this. Granted there are still tons of grammatical errors here, but how did I do?

Quote:
Of course not. We saw the two players you mentioned and told us that they would want "step it up" in the playoffs. Both of those guys are untouchable. **** Edler. We could've had Weber and we laughed. The whole presumption that the flyers are dumb enough to trade two cornerstones of the organisation is silly. I read an annoying article about how were so impatient as an organisation.

I see several "patient" teams get nowhere with their resistance to free agency and their unproven draft picks. We are a team that want's a cup, We prove it every season. That's why we are the best team in the NHL when looking from an NHL fans perspective.

When we do win that ****in cup it'll mean so much more than say when, Oh I don't know, the Hurricanes, Ducks or the Kings win it. There's nothing wrong with tradition and personality in a sport.

If financial parity is so great then why not continue the last CBA contract. We as fans pay for tickets. If you pay the right players, the organisation makes money. There should be no protection for stupidity. The owners are not 5 year olds and they don't sacrifice ****. This lockout should have been dealt with already.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I really think Edler makes more sense as a Kimmo replacement, next summer as a FA.
I agree. He would immediately replace Kimmo's offensive game, but wouldn't quite make up for Kimmo's defensive game. Not saying he is poor defensively, but Kimmo is a pretty damn good defender lol.

Edler will probably get 6 million per on the open market though. We would have to make some moves maybe if we are trying to get a top end defender and maybe a top line winger for Giroux. What an off season it would be if the Flyers some how managed to get Perry and Edler.

I fear we actually might lose Kimmo to a team like Detroit, I would like Kimmo to come back at a lower salary on a one year deal.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I agree. He would immediately replace Kimmo's offensive game, but wouldn't quite make up for Kimmo's defensive game. Not saying he is poor defensively, but Kimmo is a pretty damn good defender lol.

Edler will probably get 6 million per on the open market though. We would have to make some moves maybe if we are trying to get a top end defender and maybe a top line winger for Giroux. What an off season it would be if the Flyers some how managed to get Perry and Edler.

I fear we actually might lose Kimmo to a team like Detroit, I would like Kimmo to come back at a lower salary on a one year deal.
Hartnell-Giroux-Perry
Simmonds-Schenn-Briere
Fedotenko-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton?-Talbot

Edler-Coburn
Meszaros-Schenn
Grossmann-Gustafsson
Gostisbehere?

That would be sick.

Last edited by orange is better: 09-17-2012 at 01:00 PM.
orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
ninetynine*

Vancouver isn't Nashville, Eddie will be traded at the deadline to the team with the best offer if he isn't locked up by then. He'd command a much higher price than Philly would want to give up. If he doesn't sign with a team he's traded to, then you can start talking about free agency.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Vancouver isn't Nashville, Eddie will be traded at the deadline to the team with the best offer if he isn't locked up by then. He'd command a much higher price than Philly would want to give up. If he doesn't sign with a team he's traded to, then you can start talking about free agency.
Well, I think it's a much bigger possibility that he's re-signed than traded at the deadline. If Vancouver's in it, why would they trade their #1 d-man, regardless of how he performed the year prior? They want to win the cup now.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Hartnell-Giroux-Perry
Simmonds-Schenn-Briere
Fedotenko-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Laughton?-Talbot

Edler-Coburn
Meszaros-Schenn
Grossmann-Gustafsson
Gostisbehere?

That would be sick.
You wont see Perry on the same team as Giroux outside of an allstar game in this lifetime. They hate eachother.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:39 PM
flyerfanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Ok, I tried really hard to read this. Granted there are still tons of grammatical errors here, but how did I do?
we're

flyerfanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
The most likely price for Edler would be a 1st. prospect, and maybe another pick or 3rd/4th line player from the roster.

1st+Gus/MAB/Manning+3/4th for Edler+something small

We all know rentals do not demand the kind of return anyone on here ever wants. He could be acquired at a fair price, just would Vancouver trade their best offensive dman in a Cup hunt?

Old
09-17-2012, 01:53 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
You wont see Perry on the same team as Giroux outside of an allstar game in this lifetime. They hate eachother.
I remember when he elbowed Giroux in the head 3 or so years ago.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
You think if a player has the ability to help your team win a cup they won't put aside their differences. Giroux said he hates everyone he plays against though, so he gets upset when any new player signs with the Flyers? Pretty sure if there was anything between the two, Homer would make sure they settle it.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Players and fans hate other teams players for the same reason their own fans love them. They're grown ups, they can get over whatever they don't like about each other.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:59 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Players and fans hate other teams players for the same reason their own fans love them. They're grown ups, they can get over whatever they don't like about each other.
While I agree with this generally, I could definitely see a scenario where there is enough animosity between an incumbent star and a possible acquisition where the front office would prefer to fill the hole with someone else. Similar to how factors other than on-ice performance led to the departures of Carter and Richards. Now I'm not saying that's the case with Giroux/Perry, but if it is I absolutely think the Flyers would take it into account.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:16 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
the fact that your *****ing about grammatical errors shows where your minds at. pointlessness doesn't pose or oppose an argument. were building in a state of gain not loss in terms of players. thats what complicated point i was making. "complicated" being the sarcastic form of the word, sorry to make you read and process several times to still come up empty. the flyers are patient but have just come too torturously close too many times to not blow up and start a so called rebuild ala edmonton. we are an abstract team developed by a popular personality. meaning the teams identity as a whole. its been successful in terms of 2 stanley cups and almost yearly long playoff runs. couturier and schenn are better then richards and carter who were "tradable". couts and schenn will become stanley cup champions. they are not to be moved.

Last edited by funghoul: 09-18-2012 at 03:29 PM.
funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
the fact that your *****ing about grammatical errors shows where your minds at. pointlessness doesn't pose or oppose an argument. were building in a state of gain not loss in terms of players. thats what complicated point i was making. "complicated" being the sarcastic form of the word, sorry to make you read and process several times to still come up empty. the flyers are patient but have just come too torturously close too many times to not blow up and start a so called rebuild ala edmonton. we are an abstract team developed by a popular personality. meaning the teams identity as a whole. its been successful in terms of 2 stanley cups and almost yearly long playoff runs. couturier and schenn are better then richards and carter who were "tradable". couts and schenn will become stanley cup champions. they are not to be moved.
Besides the fact this is really hard to read, saying that Couturier and Schenn are better than Richards and Carter right now is beyond hilarious.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 05:15 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Schenn and Couturier are not better than Richards and Carter and they may never be. As for the "tradable" part, everyone here knows how "tradable" they were, especially Richards -- they weren't. They meant a lot more to the team and were much better players at the time than either Schenn or Couturier, regardless of how people want to feel now. To the last part, Richards and Carter are Stanley Cup champions already, so I don't understand that.

If your trying to say that they shake up the team too often and don't keep players together, I agree. Soon enough Giroux will be gone like Gagne, Richards, Carter, etc. because he didn't bring home a cup despite there being glaring holes on the team.

I don't see how this team will win without a #1 d-man. That means they have to trade one of their centers (Giroux/Couturier/Schenn, with large + for the latter 2) for one (because Read and Voracek will not bring back a bonafide #1 d-man), draft one, which I don't trust them to do, or hope that one falls to free agency and actually wants to sign here, unlike Ryan Suter. Say whatever you want, but Timonen might not come back and Pronger is done. Their going to have to be replaced somehow.

Old
09-18-2012, 05:50 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Well if the season is a full lock out, I'd say the Flyer should really gun for him since he would be an UFA... right?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:25 PM
haleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Schenn and Couturier are not better than Richards and Carter and they may never be. As for the "tradable" part, everyone here knows how "tradable" they were, especially Richards -- they weren't. They meant a lot more to the team and were much better players at the time than either Schenn or Couturier, regardless of how people want to feel now. To the last part, Richards and Carter are Stanley Cup champions already, so I don't understand that.
Carter became expendable when the return was Cousins + Voracek + Couturier. As for Richards, Schenn was pretty much a younger version of Richards and with the potential of having more upside offensively.

As for the last part, you have to take into consideration that in LA they weren't the go to players. Amongst the forward, Kopitar and Brown were. IMO Richards is an okay go to guy, but as for Carter he was a completely below average go to guy. He couldn't score clutch goal even if his life was depending on it. Richards might win as a go to guy someday, but I doubt Carter ever will.

haleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:52 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleks View Post
Carter became expendable when the return was Cousins + Voracek + Couturier. As for Richards, Schenn was pretty much a younger version of Richards and with the potential of having more upside offensively.
Before they were traded Richards and Carter were untouchable and not being moved, especially Richards. You can talk about return all you want, but they were supposed to be Flyers for life. I know that there were some people that thought Carter could be traded, but Richards? Come on.

BTW, not criticizing the trades. I was just saying that calling Richards and Carter "tradable", like that's what people thought at the time, is revisionist history. They were integral parts of the team. Richards was the captain. They had retirement contracts. They were supposed to be here for the rest of their careers. At the time, they meant a lot to the team and to the fans. They were a lot less tradable at the time than either Schenn or Couturier are right now.

There's really no one this team that's safe of being traded. That's how the Flyers work. The Flyers have a lot of roster turnovers all the time. I don't really love that at all, but that's what they do. I wouldn't be shocked in 5 years to not see Giroux on the team at all and have Couturier-Schenn down the middle.