HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Prospects as captains

Old
09-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Darkhorse1280

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think they didnt like him enough to bring him back thats all. I think it was a huge mistake to get rid of Dominic Moore. LOved his effort. But we all know that the issues with Burke and his brother led to his departure. Moore played his buttt off and was perfect in the bottom 6.
Wrong.

Moore wanted a multi-yr contract worth 2.5 mil per/yr, Burke offered him 1.8. Neither side would budge, so he was traded.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:02 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
Wrong.

Moore wanted a multi-yr contract worth 2.5 mil per/yr, Burke offered him 1.8. Neither side would budge, so he was traded.
So the issue with his brother didnt have any impact with that player? I disagree there bud.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
So the issue with his brother didnt have any impact with that player? I disagree there bud.
The fact that Moore's agent and Burke were discussing an extension for him to remain a Leaf several months before the trade deadline suggests otherwise...bud.

Also, I didn't know that Burke specifically ordered Marc Crawford to yell at Todd Bertuzzi to suckerpunch Steve Moore during that time.

Old
09-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Hurt

Cut the spam.

09-16-2012, 01:21 AM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
What one of those 7 do u see being the Captain of the LEafs? I only could see Biggs and Im not dialed in totally to his character. It appears to be captain like. If your a captain in the O, thats cool but doesnt mean your an NHL captain. There is a difference.
Did you read my post? This wasn't started to be a thread about who could become the next Leafs captain; it was simply a thread listing the Leafs prospects who are currently captains of their respective teams. Not a single person in this thread has even suggested that any of them would make NHL captain material.

It would have been nice if this thread could have revolved around the influx of leadership and character coming through the ranks, but everything seems to be getting off topic.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:35 AM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Carrick is going to the Marlies (for now). He was the Battalion captain last year. I know the Battalion could sure as heck use him though.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

that's awesome, good for Connor Brown. Erie should have a waaaaaaay better team this year. I wonder if Olden is still on their team? I know they got a couple of import players this year so i'm not sure where/if Olden fits in

Also, maybe they have already named a captain, but i wouldn't be surprised to see Leivo be named captain for Sudbury

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:31 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Quote:
Junior is different. Mckegg was Captain on the worst OHL team in decades. Connor Brown was -72 last year, yes thats not a mis print. Carrick, Mcwilliams will never play in the NHL. Biggs is the only one, I agree with u there. Percy might be a future Assistant.
You my friend are terribly misinformed about our prospects. Andrew MacWilliam (this is the correct spelling) has a very good chance of being a Leaf one day. We do not have a ton of players of his skill set in our system (that of the defensive defenceman who is an excellent open-ice hitter). He has the Matt Greene/Douglas Murray skill set which is invaluable to a team. He has not signed yet because he wanted his entire education.

With regards to Carrick, he is another one of those lunch pail kind of guys who could very well become a bottom 6 forward one of these years.

The fact of the matter is, the Leafs absolutely have a lot of high end character players. The kind of guys who will be loyal to your team, give it all they've got night in and night out, the kind of guys that we have sorely lacked but who will fight in nicely in a Randy Carlyle type system.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:08 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer View Post
You my friend are terribly misinformed about our prospects. Andrew MacWilliam (this is the correct spelling) has a very good chance of being a Leaf one day. We do not have a ton of players of his skill set in our system (that of the defensive defenceman who is an excellent open-ice hitter). He has the Matt Greene/Douglas Murray skill set which is invaluable to a team. He has not signed yet because he wanted his entire education.

With regards to Carrick, he is another one of those lunch pail kind of guys who could very well become a bottom 6 forward one of these years.

The fact of the matter is, the Leafs absolutely have a lot of high end character players. The kind of guys who will be loyal to your team, give it all they've got night in and night out, the kind of guys that we have sorely lacked but who will fight in nicely in a Randy Carlyle type system.
I actually have an excellent grasp of the Prospects in the Leafs system. Basically your saying u have the proper grasp. I dont agree with u. The bottom 6 guys can be replaced or attained very easily. The top 6 is where real head way is made. The Leafs need skill and talent. Everyone can focus on character and to me character matters alot, but Im more about chasing and drafting high end talent. The Leafs system is void of high end skill after Kadri, Reilly. Biggs could be top 6 or 3rd line at worst. There are more question marks about the talent than not.

Old
09-16-2012, 01:00 PM
The Messenger

Being a Captain is NOT a negative, it can only be positive. But I am sure there are some curmudgeons on this site that would be complaining none of our prospects are Captains if that were the case.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
I actually have an excellent grasp of the Prospects in the Leafs system. Basically your saying u have the proper grasp. I dont agree with u. The bottom 6 guys can be replaced or attained very easily. The top 6 is where real head way is made. The Leafs need skill and talent. Everyone can focus on character and to me character matters alot, but Im more about chasing and drafting high end talent. The Leafs system is void of high end skill after Kadri, Reilly. Biggs could be top 6 or 3rd line at worst. There are more question marks about the talent than not.

Quote:
Who's McWilliams?
Quote:
I personally dont know. The other poster mentioned him in #7 post above.
Case in point.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Case in point.
If u didnt notice its Macwilliams, the poster mentioned Mcwilliams. Good try though .

Old
09-16-2012, 02:33 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

I think it is a good sign that several of the Leafs prospects have been chosen to be captains.

Regardless of how many will be NHL players.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
If u didnt notice its Macwilliams, the poster mentioned Mcwilliams. Good try though .

Oh I know, but it seemed like you failed to make the connection . And it's MacWilliam...with no s btw.

Old
09-16-2012, 02:56 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
What one of those 7 do u see being the Captain of the LEafs? I only could see Biggs and Im not dialed in totally to his character. It appears to be captain like. If your a captain in the O, thats cool but doesnt mean your an NHL captain. There is a difference.
You miss the entire point of this thread and are being completely arrogant about it. Its unbelievable

Anyways, good to hear some kids are being named captains of their junior teams, it does show that they have faith and confidence in these kids to lead their team regardless if the team is a #1 rated team or a last place team.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:51 PM
facey

mapleleaf979 is just arguing without reading - kinda funny that it's still going on.

IMO it's a great sign to see that our scouts are spotting character and leadership successfully - I've always thought Dale Talon was correct when he said the most important trait of any hockey player is his attitude. Acknowledging that this game isn't easy, that there are sacrifices, down times, and low's, each of which will test a prospect/players resolve, Being a Captian means not only dealing with these hardships, but leading other players through them.

Having a host of young, natural, leaders and 'character' guys in the system is a huge positive and something I'd commend our scouts on.

facey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
that's awesome, good for Connor Brown. Erie should have a waaaaaaay better team this year. I wonder if Olden is still on their team? I know they got a couple of import players this year so i'm not sure where/if Olden fits in

Also, maybe they have already named a captain, but i wouldn't be surprised to see Leivo be named captain for Sudbury
Connor McDavid should have something to do about this...IDK about Olden, It may be the last time we hear about this kid...

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:52 PM
mapleleaf979

It seems like everyone is happy the Leafs have 7 captains in the OHL, my point is who cares. It means the 7 of them have work ethic and character. I can name 50 players without the C in the OHL who Id rather have than the 7 guys u mention. If your a captain it doesnt mean your a great prospect. Im frustrated over the lack of high end skill the Leafs have in there system.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Persuasion
Keep Kulie

Quote:
It seems like everyone is happy the Leafs have 7 captains in the OHL, my point is who cares. It means the 7 of them have work ethic and character. I can name 50 players without the C in the OHL who Id rather have than the 7 guys u mention. If your a captain it doesnt mean your a great prospect. Im frustrated over the lack of high end skill the Leafs have in there system.
Has this ever happened before? Has the Leafs ever had a prospect cupboard where so many are captains of their respective teams? I think its something to be proud about. I think we are all aware captains could be busts, and we are surely aware 100point junior players can also be busts.

Why troll this topic? Its about prospects that are captains. Not about who you would rather have.

Persuasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Which was the point of this whole thread. To point out we had prospects who show leadership and character, something the big club is sorely lacking.

Heaven forbid we look positively on this team once in a while.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:54 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Quote:
Everyone would prefer to have more talented players but at this point we don't. This thread is about leaf prospects with character. Would you rather have 7 ohl players or 7 ohl captains with the exact same skill set. I know which one I would pick.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:37 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
Everyone would prefer to have more talented players but at this point we don't. This thread is about leaf prospects with character. Would you rather have 7 ohl players or 7 ohl captains with the exact same skill set. I know which one I would pick.
I agree with u . Character is a nice little bonus. Character was a main reason why some of the top prospects in the 2012 OHL draft dropped in the draft. I wont name who. Character is extremely important . All sports are that way. Randy Moss in the NFL should have gone top 5 in his draft year but his history was a big reason he fell to the Vikings.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

This is just another example of us having too many prospects and Brian Burke's continuing failure to use everything at his disposal.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Leafs prospects with work ethic and character.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:41 PM
draeko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post

Leafs prospects with work ethic and character.

very funny stuff. sometimes you just have to laugh, right?

draeko17 is offline   Reply With Quote