HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stars sign Lehtonen to extension (5 years/29.5 M)

Old
09-15-2012, 03:12 PM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
What's the over under that Kari misses more than half this contract due to injuries? I would be the first one to root for him to settle down and finally be a starter for a number of consecutive years. But if I were to give him such a contract I'd make sure I had done my homework with where his body is at at this point.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans420 View Post
What's the over under that Kari misses more than half this contract due to injuries? I would be the first one to root for him to settle down and finally be a starter for a number of consecutive years. But if I were to give him such a contract I'd make sure I had done my homework with where his body is at at this point.
Doesn't seem like you're doing your homework now.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Lebowski

Surprised by reactions saying it's a great deal... Lethonen is a legit N.1, but I don't see him as part of the elite. 6M/year sounds a tad steep for him. Pictured him more around 5M.

Nonetheless, for such a long term and with the ever-rising salary cap, I guess it's a fair deal for both sides.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:35 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Seems a bit much given his injury history that said he is a very good goalie so it isn't that bad.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:15 AM
MapleReef

Only Quality Goalie as a 2013 UFA....Gone

Anyone looking for a starting goalie just lost the number one guy heading in to UFA at the end of this "season".

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:49 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleReef View Post
Anyone looking for a starting goalie just lost the number one guy heading in to UFA at the end of this "season".
Backstrom? Smith? Howard? Nabakov?

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Good deal other than the no trade clause. The Stars need to stop giving those with every extension.
Good deal? Oh man.

You argued with me for pages about big goalie contracts, and the minute the Stars sign a guy to $6 million a year you're suddenly on board with huge deals for goalies.

I hate you, McClure. I love you. But I hate you.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Doesn't seem like you're doing your homework now.
again someone brought up the fact that his cap hit is greater than the conn smythe winner

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans420 View Post
again someone brought up the fact that his cap hit is greater than the conn smythe winner
Yet Quick's salary doesn't drop from $7,000,000 until he hits the same age that Kari's contract ends.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:54 PM
MapleReef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Backstrom? Smith? Howard? Nabakov?
As I said, they lost the number one guy.

MapleReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleReef View Post
As I said, they lost the number one guy.
Oh, my bad, read that as only for some reason.

Old
09-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Dominate Kesler

Wow, I thought he could be one of those underated players who could provide excellent value but 5.9m per year is elite territory and he is not at the level. At all.

Dominate Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Sutter16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
Wow, I thought he could be one of those underated players who could provide excellent value but 5.9m per year is elite territory and he is not at the level. At all.
He's close to it, top 10 for me. Elite is Quick,Lundqvist, and Rinne IMO.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:43 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominate Kesler View Post
5.9M is definitely not elite territory.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Sutter16

The more I think of it the Stars have Jack Campbell and now Lehtonen for the next 6 Years. so what will they do with Campbell? Trade him? Edmonton, Chicago,NY Islanders and Calgary make sense but since Feaster doesn't believe in rebuilding then cross them off the list.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:44 PM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter16 View Post
The more I think of it the Stars have Jack Campbell and now Lehtonen for the next 6 Years. so what will they do with Campbell? Trade him? Edmonton, Chicago,NY Islanders and Calgary make sense but since Feaster doesn't believe in rebuilding then cross them off the list.
I don't think Dallas is really crazy about trading Campbell (unless it blew their minds away), but someone here had a great hypothesis. That maybe Dallas wants to have a Vancouver-esque situation where goaltending is solidified for the next 10 years (as opposed to teams like Toronto, NYI etc.) so that they can focus their attention on other needs.

Quite a good idea if that's the case.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:46 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
How is it not? Aren't there only like 4-5 goalies who make more than 5.9?

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:57 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
There's just much more of an incentive for the owners to get these deals done. With Kari, he was headed for UFA status after this season. If we see a repeat of the last lockout, where they counted that year against their contracts, that could've meant that Kari reached free agency before Dallas had an opportunity to work out an extension. Then there's the situation with the out clauses that I brought up earlier. The potential benefits of putting up a "united front" before the CBA negotiations don't even come close to the negatives of possibly losing the player in free agency or at least losing them for the rest of the season if there is one because they don't have an out clause.

Now, if the league told Nieuwendyk he couldn't sign Kari to this contract and threatened to penalize him for doing so, that's where you get into the murky legal waters with collusion. Of course, the NFL got away with this over the summer, but I'm getting off topic.
Thanks for an actual reply. You're right, they do have a lot to lose if they don't get them signed and could potentially go to UFA. However, this is something they could learn from and insist as being part of the new CBA. That said, it would be risky. It's just so hard to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

I wasn't talking about a situation where the league would sanction the Stars for signing a contract - just an agreement that no one signs anyone. Informally and no sanctions if they break the pact; the only penalty is having to face your fellow owners.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:59 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
It puts him at 6th highest paid goaltender when his contract starts it is close to elite level pay not that I don't think he could be worth it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Campbell probably has 4 years until he's really ready to take over the reins. Kari will still probably be around at that point sure, but if Campbell is knocking down the door we'll have a good trade piece. If he's not we'll still have our starter for 2 more years while we figure it out or another prospect comes up.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
It puts him at 6th highest paid goaltender when his contract starts it is close to elite level pay not that I don't think he could be worth it.
7th, actually, add in Quick's.

He's a top 10 goalie in the league. So that's slight overpayment now, but get him a solid D core and he'll be right around 6th-8th, spot on for what he's being paid.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:14 PM
mytor4*

Sounds like a good signing for a very solid goalie.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:27 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Flames already have more than enough goalies. They have Ramo and Irving in the mid-20s, and Brossoit and Ortio in their teens/early 20s. Calgary makes no sense for that kind of trade.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Quite likely they will do nothing. Unproven goaltending prospects don't have much trade value anyway. Campbell will play in the AHL for the forseeable future. This season he will compete for time with Christopher Nihlstorp who is a seasoned pro coming over from the SEL. If he does well, then he will become the unquestioned AHL #1. If he continues to progress then Bachman will eventually be traded or let go and Campbell will assume the NHL backup role. All of this is so far off down the road that it's impossible to say, really. That's the nature of dealing with young goalies -- you don't make room for them until their play absolutely demands it. It's a slow process that unfolds over several years.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:43 AM
ColeJ

i see campbell following in his idol, marty turco's, footsteps... only without the time at michigan.

people forget that turco was drafted in 1994. then played four years at michigan, 2 years in the IHL, 2 year as a backup, and then took over as starter.

the stars don't rush goaltenders. campbell will probably play 2-3 full years as the man in austin, then make the move to NHL backup behind Kari.

this timeframe actually looks to be lining up pretty perfectly for a smooth kari-to-jack transition, imo.

ColeJ is offline   Reply With Quote