HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

New York AHL Team?

Old
09-16-2012, 07:43 PM
srsly989

vCash: 500
I think the problem is that a Brooklyn AHL team would not be very popular. In between the Islanders and Rangers? No way.

srsly989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Zippy316

I think Barclays Arena would be a small enough seating arrangement and would work for the Rangers affiliate. Even as a Devils fan, it's hard to ignore that the Rangers fan base is pretty big and I'm sure a good amount of fans will go see a game because it is so close to the Rangers actual fan base, although CT has a good amount of Rangers fans.

Just a curiousity, but could Louis Brown Atheltic Center, Rutgers arena for basketball, by any chance make ice? Don't know how compatible that arena would be as an ice hockey arena, but if it could even do maybe 6.5-7k (right now it holds 8k for basketball, it could work. Although I did go there one time, I'm not too sure hockey would fit.

I will say I really believe the Devils should advocate for a 7-9k arena to be built in mid-state NJ, like around Woodbridge. I believe there was some sort of a proposal to build something around exit 120 on the parkway or close by to build a housing development and a 8k arena fit for hockey and/or basketball. Would be practically right in the middle of the Devils fan base and would be a lot better of a draw then Albany or Lowell.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:36 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I will say I really believe the Devils should advocate for a 7-9k arena to be built in mid-state NJ, like around Woodbridge. I believe there was some sort of a proposal to build something around exit 120 on the parkway or close by to build a housing development and a 8k arena fit for hockey and/or basketball. Would be practically right in the middle of the Devils fan base and would be a lot better of a draw then Albany or Lowell.
I have yet to see any evidence that the Devils care about drawing at the AHL level (or ECHL level for that matter). Their level of marketing in both Lowell and Albany is probably the lowest of all of the AHL teams that I have witnessed.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
aemoreira1981

For an AHL team in Greater New York, if the Izod Center still has an ice plant, that would be a potential landing spot for the Rangers' AHL team; their lease on the XL Center expires after the current AHL season, and MSG lost the contract to operate that arena to Anschutz. I cannot see AHL hockey at Barclays, whereas the NJSEA actually needs to fill dates to justify not imploding the Izod Center, for when the MSG renovations are complete, the Izod Center will be sorely outdated.

Last edited by aemoreira1981: 09-17-2012 at 11:54 PM.
aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:08 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Wasn't the Baraclays Center rumored to be a possible new location for the Islanders?

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:17 AM
frisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

Just a curiousity, but could Louis Brown Atheltic Center, Rutgers arena for basketball, by any chance make ice? Don't know how compatible that arena would be as an ice hockey arena, but if it could even do maybe 6.5-7k (right now it holds 8k for basketball, it could work. Although I did go there one time, I'm not too sure hockey would fit.

Never in my 20 years as student/staff/alumni have i heard of them making ice in the RAC, so i doubt they have the ability. I dont remember where the Rutgers club plays their home games. (south mountain?)
If one day they did go into Division I i would actually respond to one of their many requests for donations.

Last edited by frisland: 09-19-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typo
frisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 09:11 AM
SwedishMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
Sooo The Brookyln Whale. That just doesn't sound right
FWIW I think the Brooklyn Bombers would be a sweet name for an AHL team.

SwedishMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:03 PM
royals119

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding of mobile ice shows is that they bring their own ice plant with them so the ice is consistant for the skaters at each venue. They lay pipes on top of the concrete floor in the arena. They also bring the special effects like fog machines and extra lighting. Their ice is always smaller than the 200' x 85' standard NA rink. It would fit the info of the ice plant being removed from Izod.
Lots of incorrect info there. They usually play arenas that have ice already. They do need "different" ice, but generally just lay another layer on top of the hockey ice, paint it white, and then put another layer over that to achieve the necessary thickness, softness, and look. When the show is over the building crew dry scrapes with the zamboni back down to the original thickness.

I'm not saying no ice show ever uses a mobile ice plant, but it isn't the standard procedure for most of them.

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Don't see it having good success. They'd be like the Marlies, but worse if they were the Rangers affiliate.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 05:41 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
Wasn't the Baraclays Center rumored to be a possible new location for the Islanders?
Ratner's trying to woo Wang, get the isles to Barclays.

Wang would rather be the #1 tenant in his own building, not the #2 tenant in another building.
After touring Barclay's, Bettman told the press it's now an option.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...ve-to-brooklyn

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Rumblick

More than an option, apparently.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Tommy Hawk

Maybe a minor league team will move to Nassau......

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:42 PM
DelpoRafaKilla

So I was reading a little snipit about the Conneticut Whale and supposedly they are having trouble there?

DelpoRafaKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:57 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Wouldn't happen here - the NHL has no interest in Brooklyn for anything more than the occasional pre-season game, and based on the way they configured the place, the feeling is mutual.
This looks a little silly in hindsight

(no offense, Rumblick -- I just thought it was funny)

_Del_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:55 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Maybe a minor league team will move to Nassau......
Isn't that what has been playing in Nassau?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Isn't that what has been playing in Nassau?
ohsnap.gif

But seriously, demolition's probably more likely long-term. Not thinking that any AHL team will move, rent will probably too much for ECHL and junior, and I doubt that anyone else is really interested.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Wouldn't happen here - the NHL has no interest in Brooklyn for anything more than the occasional pre-season game, and based on the way they configured the place, the feeling is mutual. Any AHL team that might come in here would be the secondary tenant to the Nets (though they might very well outdraw them )

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_ View Post
This looks a little silly in hindsight

(no offense, Rumblick -- I just thought it was funny)
This is why I don't bet on sports.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 06:34 PM
azaloum90

AHL is like minor league baseball teams (e.g. Camden RiverSharks in Camden, NJ). it's meant for areas with little or no competition of sports, meaning areas where people would normally have to drive hours for the same entertainment... If there are arenas in those areas (which in most cases, since the AHL only averages 9-10k per game), they are most likely able to be filled.

That being said, IZOD is a horrible, horrible arena. Everything about it is completely outdated.

Newark is NOT a hockey market. The only reason the devils moved there is because of mass transit and easier access from NYC... Not to mention the fact that IZOD center SUCKS major peepee...

Brooklyn is NOW a hockey market, and that being said, no... AHL will not occupy it, since the Islanders just announced there moving-in to the building

Nassau County is dead in the water. Won't be surprised to see that building destroyed in the coming years...

Again, that leaves only a few small arenas in non-metropolitan areas of NJ/NY... And those arenas are either too far, or two small for most people to travel.

Lastly, Hockey is a niche sport... These are not locations for niche sports to nip fans out of a dead pond... these people care about baseball and football.. not hockey.

So no, there will never be an AHL team less than an hour outside of Northern NJ... Which is fine. I have no problem driving 1.25 hours from Northern NJ to Bridgeport Connecticut whenever the Whale plays the Soundtigers

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:31 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
ohsnap.gif

But seriously, demolition's probably more likely long-term. Not thinking that any AHL team will move, rent will probably too much for ECHL and junior, and I doubt that anyone else is really interested.
Rent is too damn high!!! Jimmy McMillan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-T...yer_detailpage

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:10 PM
MrCleveland

For the NHL...the Islanders may move to Brooklyn.

What about Yonkers?

MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:38 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland View Post
For the NHL...the Islanders may move to Brooklyn.

What about Yonkers?
The Isles signed a 25 year lease with Barclays starting in 2015. Yeah, they may move there!

Too many people get "Lost in Yonkers".

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Bert Marshall days

Nassau colseum

Bert Marshall days is online now   Reply With Quote