HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

A Selfish Gift?

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2003, 10:02 AM
OYLer

vCash: 500
A Selfish Gift?

We’ve rehashed the bad. We’ve harangued about the ugly. We’ve even blackened good humor satirizing a dirty Harry. Not the “do you feel lucky, punk” steely-eyed vigilante Detective Callahan but just one frustrated Oilers’ fan wondering if our chosen hockey team will ever again “make his-my day?” Maybe it’s time then, to remember the good? Well now let’s see … Tommy is back? … MacT is reshuffling the lines again? … Practices have focused on the PK? … Ryan Smyth moves back to left wing … Comrie trade rumors continue? … Wait a minute, go back one! No I don’t care about Bryan Murray and what Dumb has to say about his client Dumber! I mean all those last two want for Christmas are two frontal lobes. Yes that part about Smytty returning to play left wing—that’s good!

Next up on the (hopefully we) hit list is … yes Pittsburgh—now that’s got to be the best team to play at home in order to break out of a slump! Plus the hometown hopefuls, if not completely healthy, should at least be rested. Certainly motivation won’t be a problem. But trying too hard could be! Confidence like scoring is always a touchy issue until Lady Luck rewards thoughtless good habits. Instantaneous reaction will finally preclude the stick squeezed too tightly. Suddenly the disc kisses twine, the rubber caresses silk, the net bulges … well you get the idea. Remembering, of course, passion needs patience and must include foreplay before anyone can score. But good healthy fun always did require some hard work and the right timing.

Having fun is good and worrying too much is a bad thing. Choosing to play hard is always so much better than just having to just work hard. And it’s more potent and resultant too boot. Come on Copper & Blue boys, what the big deal anyway? I mean what’s the downside—a little booing, maybe? It’s not like your families’ are going to go hungry over the holidays! True perspective can remove unnecessary stress and replace it with a thankful drive to enjoy the gifts you all are so fortunate to enjoy. Privileged and few are you, who can and do, realize your dreams with a presence upon the live ice. Such reward deserves a positive focus to become better whilst you enjoy the process. To do less is to leave that glorious gift unwrapped. Worry is but the restictive ribbon to be cut decisively.

So the Mario-less-Penguins hit E-Town this Saturday night, and that is a good thing. For the ‘Oil’ gang, entertaining a Spaghetti Western showdown, where the visiting posse is minus their most magnificent gunslinger is good. Still the Pittsburgh desperados will be spoiling to trample on someone else’s lowly confidence besides their own at the OK corral. If the fowl tuxedoes are taken too lightly, then things could stay bad and get even uglier. Therefore, given the nature of the mind game, shouldn’t the fun of the game make playing well matter? And that positive has got to be the best good thing to remember.

Last edited by OYLer: 12-05-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old
12-05-2003, 10:10 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Remembering, of course, passion needs patience and must include foreplay before anyone can score.
My language is not quite so eloquent, but equally effective ....

Screw that!! Go for the gold ASAP!! I think this team needs to get a fast goal before their confidence for another game is shot. If they get a quick one, all will be forgotten, and maybe, just maybe, we will end this streak.

P.S. OYLer, that avatar is looking sad .

Old
12-05-2003, 10:56 AM
T-Rexall

A very optimistic post OYLer (though didn't Martha Stewart also spout the "It's a good thing" line - and look what happened to her...)

Old
12-05-2003, 11:31 AM
OYLer

Thought you to-too-two should know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rexall
A very optimistic post OYLer (though didn't Martha Stewart also spout the "It's a good thing" line - and look what happened to her...)
Hey T-Rexall, only line I buy at Sears is Tool Time, and Mouth Martha just leaves me with too much insecurity in the commission of her brand of Capitalism. I'm hoping she might be forced to fashion that new line of medal security bracelets for her alleged and greedy insider trading windfall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Screw that!! Go for the gold ASAP!! I think this team needs to get a fast goal before their confidence for another game is shot. If they get a quick one, all will be forgotten, and maybe, just maybe, we will end this streak.

P.S. OYLer, that avatar is looking sad .
Nothing wrong with a quicky! But if the 'fickle finger of fate' should happen to single digit us out with a goal against -- all should not be lost. The length of the fall should only be used to measure the bounce back height to be achieved! One shift, one goal, one period, one win, repeat - etc.

Last edited by OYLer: 12-05-2003 at 07:22 PM.
Old
12-05-2003, 12:33 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
The length of the fall should only be used to measure the bounce back height to be achieved!
*Shudder* Just had a "bounce back" to physics class; force of gravity, acceleration, and the such. *Shudder*

Closed Thread