HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout discussion thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
sampollock

vCash: 500
nfl

well who cares, overpaid and rich owners, and poor fans.....

figure that.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:57 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiensnation View Post
Not sure if it has been posted already but Tomas Plekanec is heading to hometown Kladno to play for the HC Kladno of the Czech Extraliga.

http://www.hc-kladno.cz/cz/rytiri-ve...vii-v-o2-arene

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...42743263776768

and Yannick Weber and Raphael Diaz expected to go to hometown Switzerland.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...84630649565184
poor players, go and make money overseas, figure that.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:26 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

They should just let an outside party make a fair agreement kinda like the arbitration when a player and team cant come to agreement. It will go a lot faster and no stupid control games.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:44 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Do the players playing elsewhere pool their money and split it among their "brothers"? If not, then its very disingenuous of them.

Old
09-16-2012, 08:50 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Just gonna throw this out there now but the NHL has wanted to start talks with the CBA since like February. The NHLPA refused stating that they didn't want to have any distractions during the season.

I agree for the guy who said that the players shouldn't be allowed to go play anywhere while this is happening. Players who aren't as skilled will not get this kind of opportunity. Guys like Crosby, Malkin and co. don't have to worry about where they play. Someone will pay them.

Shame shame.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
Just gonna throw this out there now but the NHL has wanted to start talks with the CBA since like February. The NHLPA refused stating that they didn't want to have any distractions during the season.

I agree for the guy who said that the players shouldn't be allowed to go play anywhere while this is happening. Players who aren't as skilled will not get this kind of opportunity. Guys like Crosby, Malkin and co. don't have to worry about where they play. Someone will pay them.

Shame shame.
Since when does Bob Gainey is in charge of the NHLPA ?

Old
09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

Misery (for the fans) follows Donald Fehr wherever he goes. Want to know what the Horsement of the Apocalypse look like? Look no further. (He even has a brother who's involved in this mess.) I was jittery the moment I heard he might take a job with the NHLPA.

Old
09-16-2012, 09:51 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
poor players, go and make money overseas, figure that.
I don't understand the hate players are getting for this. Yes they are paid a lot of money but don't forget that their careers are very short. The average NHL career is 5 years... Say you retire at 34 years old (a decent NHL career), you still have at least 40+ years to live your life with no income coming in. And most of these guys have a relatively expensive lifestyle to maintain (ie: big houses, higher property taxes, higher costs to maintain the house, etc...).

Yes yes, I already know the reaction I'll get. "Well these guys should just live more modest lifestyles! I get by just fine with my ****** apartment and my $15/h job!"...Please, be realistic. When you are paid this much, you adopt a lifestyle to match it. You want to give your family everything possible. That kind of lifestyle is expensive to maintain, and yes, maybe a hockey player will walk away at 34 years old having with, say, $15 million in the bank, but that also means they have to live the rest of their lives off this money...It's still a lot of cash, but it amounts to something like $375k a year for the rest of their lives.

Factor in taxes, factor in divorces, factor in wanting to leave money for their children, factor in trying to maintain a nice lifestyle for your family...It doesn't go as far as you'd think. And in my example, we're talking the top 15% of NHL players...The rest make much less money and walk away with much less, which is why so many role players look for other careers in broadcasting, scouting and coaching.

These guys only have a small window to maximize their earnings. Don't fault them for taking advantage.

waffledave
Old
09-16-2012, 10:01 PM
NotProkofievian

Those players are so selfish.

...they should just take a 20% haircut so that they can play for my enjoyment.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Habbadasher

Let us compare some Olympic athletes who have to work full time and work-out three hours or more a day to hockey players who might work for 5 years then get to sleep in the rest of their lives.

Yeah I feel real sorry for hockey players.

On the other hand, I don't feel sorry for the owners either.

They both have to give and meet in the middle. Players have to take a cut, and owners need to share the wealth.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Those players are so selfish.

...they should just take a 20% haircut so that they can play for my enjoyment.

I must say 20% is a hefty price for a haircut.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoff Beard View Post
I must say 20% is a hefty price for a haircut.
I mean, didn't those selfish players ever think about me?

Old
09-16-2012, 10:13 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I don't understand the hate players are getting for this. Yes they are paid a lot of money but don't forget that their careers are very short. The average NHL career is 5 years... Say you retire at 34 years old (a decent NHL career), you still have at least 40+ years to live your life with no income coming in. And most of these guys have a relatively expensive lifestyle to maintain (ie: big houses, higher property taxes, higher costs to maintain the house, etc...).

Yes yes, I already know the reaction I'll get. "Well these guys should just live more modest lifestyles! I get by just fine with my ****** apartment and my $15/h job!"...Please, be realistic. When you are paid this much, you adopt a lifestyle to match it. You want to give your family everything possible. That kind of lifestyle is expensive to maintain, and yes, maybe a hockey player will walk away at 34 years old having with, say, $15 million in the bank, but that also means they have to live the rest of their lives off this money...It's still a lot of cash, but it amounts to something like $375k a year for the rest of their lives.

Factor in taxes, factor in divorces, factor in wanting to leave money for their children, factor in trying to maintain a nice lifestyle for your family...It doesn't go as far as you'd think. And in my example, we're talking the top 15% of NHL players...The rest make much less money and walk away with much less, which is why so many role players look for other careers in broadcasting, scouting and coaching.

These guys only have a small window to maximize their earnings. Don't fault them for taking advantage.
LOL My heart bleeds....
they want to maintain their lifestyle from their playing days well into their non playing days............

The honest truth is the owners agreed to the last CBA so they should live with it, thus i don't agree to an immediate rollback on salaries. Long term if the players want a dime over 50% is not reasonable. Yes, they are the talent and what the fans go see, but, the owners make the investment and take the financial risk.
If there is growth this year no rollback
long term fall back to 50 / 50
once thats agreed to work on the finer details and start playing hockey by the end of october.
How hard can it be!?!

Old
09-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Typical mentality of this left wing province. If you are doing business and make money you are automatically evil.
This and many journalists are left wing.

Ultimately, there is no "right" or "wrong" side.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:21 PM
FF de Mars

Québec is left wing, for the better and the worse. If you don't like Sweden, move to Texas...

Old
09-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Et le But

While I think the players are the "lesser evil" here, I find it hard to take the players crying for sympathy seriously when their holdout means arena workers who actually need the money are going to be the ones unable to support their families here. Both the NHLPA and NHL are looking out for themselves at the expense of arena maintence crews, equipment managers, ticket and concession salemen, and many others.

Don Fehr is the same guy who locked out baseball to ensure players continue to get the most absurd contracts in sports.

On the other hand the owners demanding well over 50% of profits for themselves, and the gnome who represents them who has already locked out this league twice before are even more greedy. But forgive me for not having the sympathy for players who will be millionaires either way. The reason they make that money to begin with? Us, the guys paying absurd prices for tickets, jerseys, memorabilia, games on TV/gamecenter, and so on. I know it's small change in the scheme of thing but last year I spent a couple hundreds of dollars supporting the Habs, and I know I'm not alone. And I'm not even one of you guys with season tickets or who regularly go to games.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:50 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:

If marquee players are earning an income elsewhere then the urgency to settle lessens. For example, Lets say Pleks goes home and gets paid $1M. He gets to stay in shape and earn a little scratch in the meantime. No rush to settle, he's still got years left on a $5M deal. On the other hand, Ryan White who makes less than a million and is a dime a dozen player has to buy some ice time while the league and the players figure this out. There is no solidarity there. If they all pooled the money and dispersed it....that would send a message and keep the players from cracking.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:58 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
LOL My heart bleeds....
they want to maintain their lifestyle from their playing days well into their non playing days............
Do you not hope to maintain your quality of life when you retire? I know I do and it requires a LOT of savings and some sacrifice, but I want to make sure my family is comfortable.

There is nothing wrong with a player wanting to make sure they can provide the same quality of life for their families into their retirements. The millions they make today don't go as far as you'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
If marquee players are earning an income elsewhere then the urgency to settle lessens. For example, Lets say Pleks goes home and gets paid $1M. He gets to stay in shape and earn a little scratch in the meantime. No rush to settle, he's still got years left on a $5M deal. On the other hand, Ryan White who makes less than a million and is a dime a dozen player has to buy some ice time while the league and the players figure this out. There is no solidarity there. If they all pooled the money and dispersed it....that would send a message and keep the players from cracking.
I agree to a certain extent, much like I'm sure there is little solidarity among the owners...That being said, $1M vs $5M is not exactly appealing to a guy in his prime earning years. They are trying to maximize their earnings TODAY. Guys in his situation will hurt the most.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:14 PM
durojean

The problem I have with the players is that they talk like they only want to play and like they did nothing wrong.

Reality is if they really wanted to play they would play. They are as much to blame in this conflict as the owners.

They don't seem to realize that for right now they will be paid less bit that 3/4 of the players will still have a lot if money when the time comes to sign the next contract.

They should settle at 50 percent like all the other professional league in north america. Long term it won't make any difference.

Short term... Well it's not better as they are locked out.

At least the owners doesn't try to pretend they are doing nothing wrong. But it's also bad that they lock out the league for what really seems to be a sideway move.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:

Your foolish if you think the players just leave their 15 million dollars in the bank and leave it to be withdrawn. It's called investing... Invest in real estate, buy property and rent them out so like that you get income on top of the **** loads of money you already have.

NHL players have it made after their careers because it's easy to make good investments when you have the money to afford good ventures with smart people.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:44 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Your foolish if you think the players just leave their 15 million dollars in the bank and leave it to be withdrawn. It's called investing... Invest in real estate, buy property and rent them out so like that you get income on top of the **** loads of money you already have.

NHL players have it made after their careers because it's easy to make good investments when you have the money to afford good ventures with smart people.
Investing has a risk and a cost associated with it. Real estate investments tie your money up and there are still property taxes, maintenance fees, and there is the hassle of being a landlord which most people don't want in retirement.

Any decent monetary investment has risk associated with it, and the ones that don't (Bonds, GICs) will not keep up with inflation.

I didn't bother mentioning the idea of investing that money because it only complicates matters for them. There are few investments out there that will allow these players to maintain the quality of life they have for their families.

This doesn't apply to the players that make millions in endorsements because they will always have boatloads of money. But don't forget, this is the top 15% of NHL players. The vast majority have 2-3 years where they might make close to a million and that's it for them.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:59 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Sure, they maintain a higher lifestyle but as you said, why not be more modest? If players don't know they have a 20 year window(at best) for player earnings they should go bankrupt. I harder care. I mean, most people know they work till they are 65 and need savings and pension after. If you're a pro and don't get that then you deserve it.

Besides, whatever they buy, their ferraris and big house can always be sold for more modest arrangements and there's always jobs in coaching later on.

The NHLPA should prepare them for proper money management, half the guys have high school at best so I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:03 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post

Shame shame.
February? More like beginning of 2011-2012 season.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:54 AM
habfaninvictoria

The Owners created the current CBA. They should have to live with it. If they want the players to take a 20 per cent cut.... I'm fine with that... as long as there is a 20 per cent reduction across the board for tickets, hats, jerseys, beer, parking etc... Bettman stood in front of the world for the past few years saying the league was in great shape and profitable... well Mr Bettman... If the players need to pay for your Phx experiment, then the fans should get some kind of break too. We were promised in 2004 and the only thing you gave real fans was a giant ***** up the ass.

WORK IT OUT

Old
09-17-2012, 01:30 AM
Galchenyuk94

I serve in a sports bar during the school year. No habs means less shifts and less money for me. fml

Closed Thread