HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most underrated team to lift Lord Stanley?

Old
09-14-2012, 08:26 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Lets phrase it as an underrated contender. By '97 they weren't THE team anymore and people had already started to talk about them being to old and/or soft.
It was justified, though. They had flamed out three years in a row in high-profile series. Especially in 1996 when it looked like they were literally unstoppable, and then got exposed by the Avs. They were going through the same thing as the Sharks the past few years, where the idea of certain players as playoff underperformers really starts taking hold (and in the case of Dino and Coffey and Primeau, that never went away). Why wouldn't people be skeptical of them at that point?

From an historic point of view, though, that team gets as much love as any champion since the Gretzky Oilers. Universally recognized as a completely stacked team in every part of the game, because they finally proved it in consecutive series against the Avs and Flyers.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:43 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It was justified, though. They had flamed out three years in a row in high-profile series. Especially in 1996 when it looked like they were literally unstoppable, and then got exposed by the Avs. They were going through the same thing as the Sharks the past few years, where the idea of certain players as playoff underperformers really starts taking hold (and in the case of Dino and Coffey and Primeau, that never went away). Why wouldn't people be skeptical of them at that point?

From an historic point of view, though, that team gets as much love as any champion since the Gretzky Oilers. Universally recognized as a completely stacked team in every part of the game, because they finally proved it in consecutive series against the Avs and Flyers.
Is this thread about teams who are underrated in hindsight? I wrote about a team that was underrated at the time wether it was justified or not.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 08:56 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Is this thread about teams who are underrated in hindsight? I wrote about a team that was underrated at the time wether it was justified or not.
I took the OP to mean teams that are underrated in terms of how highly they are remembered among Cup winners...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 09:29 AM
begbeee

Wow, I almost forgot how Stars have been stacked! Very good team!

I wouldnt call 1997 Wings underrated - there were doubts about them being chokers, but that has gone with SC. Star power was there before 1997 and after it, they just confirmed their status by this win.

1993 is underrated, people think about them like about weak winner but it was a strong team with big amount of talent. Maybe 10 OT winners make them look like lucky winners.

I stay with my previous choice - Carolina: they are underrated as a team, which is a sum of underrated players.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 01:18 PM
MechaMarleau
Vertebraeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Wow, I almost forgot how Stars have been stacked! Very good team!

I wouldnt call 1997 Wings underrated - there were doubts about them being chokers, but that has gone with SC. Star power was there before 1997 and after it, they just confirmed their status by this win.

1993 is underrated, people think about them like about weak winner but it was a strong team with big amount of talent. Maybe 10 OT winners make them look like lucky winners.

I stay with my previous choice - Carolina: they are underrated as a team, which is a sum of underrated players.
I think the Canes, as well as the Lightning, had two things going against them that caused people to dismiss the quality of their rosters.

The first is that they were both from southern markets. A lot of sentiment, especially in the hockey media, is that they aren't of the same caliber as the major and long-standing hockey cities.

The second thing, which also relates the hockey media, is that they both played Canadian teams in the finals- Edmonton for Carolina and Calgary for Tampa Bay. Also, both teams beat the Canadiens to get to the final. As very little media in Carolina and Tampa focuses on hockey, there is very little to advocate for the strength of the team. If you've thought about finals in the past couple of decades, where a Canadian team played a non-Canadian team- how often did they in retrospect overrate the Canadian team and underrate the American one?

MechaMarleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 02:18 PM
CaptBrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Damn! Unbelievable! That is seriously lucky.

How was their injuries in the play-offs?
Stillman missed some games and was affected by injury almost entirely through the playoffs. Fedotenko almost had his face peeled off in the Finals but didn't miss much and was obviously good to go in Game 7. The D got banged up, Cullimore and Lukowich both missing time. Neckar had to play a few games, and he'd only played one in the regular season, and that was with Nashville.

Mecha Marleau, you're exactly right in your assessment. If there had been a 04-05 season the Lightning would have been right up there as a favorite. *sigh*

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 02:45 PM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yeah, they were very lucky with injuries. Only team I can think of who were close were the 2011-12 Kings
Carolina. Top-6 DEF's missed 0 games, and their Top-9 FWD's missed 3 games combined. When you consider the injuries that occurred to some of their opponents, that's remarkably lucky. Of course, show me a Stanley Cup winner who didn’t benefit from some luck.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

2003 Devils.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Midnight Oil

I'd go with the 1995 Devils.

Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:44 AM
90s Hockey fan

The 1997 Wings are underrated because people try to say the 02 team was better.

The 97 Wings would've swept that team.

90s Hockey fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:42 AM
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
12 LA Kings.

Genuinely didn't try in the regular season. Hardly had a scare in the playoffs and they went through the best teams in the West.
If anything they were overrated. Round 1 they get the Canucks without Daniel Sedin. They were still badly outshot in some of the games. The Blues who have very little to no postseason experience. People forget they have made the playoffs once since the lockout (4 game sweep 1st round of 08-09). They just werent 109 point good. Next was Phoenix, the worst team to make a conference finals ever. They lucked their way through 2 rounds. And then New Jersey in the finals. Man how impressive were they. Needing 2 ot games to beat a Florida team that won 38 games and had a goal differential of -24. Then a Flyers team that has no defense or goaltending. Then a tired Rangers team that needed two game 7s to put away the 7th and 8th seeds.

I cant believe some people were impressed just because the Kings went up 3-0 in each series and 16-4 overall. One of the weakest playoffs ever.

Last edited by Evincar: 09-16-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
If anything they were overrated. Round 1 they get the Canucks without Daniel Sedin. They were still badly outshot in some of the games. The Blues who have very little to no postseason experience. People forget they have made the playoffs once since the lockout (4 game sweep 1st round of 08-09). They just werent 109 point good. Next was Phoenix, the worst team to make a conference finals ever. They lucked their way through 2 rounds. And then New Jersey in the finals. Man how impressive were they. Needing 2 ot games to beat a Florida team that won 38 games and had a goal differential of -24. Then a Flyers team that has no defense or goaltending. Then a tired Rangers team that needed two game 7s to put away the 7th and 8th seeds.

I cant believe some people were impressed just because the Kings went up 3-0 in each series and 16-4 overall. One of the weakest playoffs ever.
So in a nutshell, the NHL sucks now and there aren't any good teams and no team was really deserving or worthy of winning the Stanley Cup last season? You can find flaws in just about any organization, it just so happened that the Kings didn't have many (if any) during their playoff run and they badly outplayed their opponents. Find me a team that played as well as the Kings did during the playoffs. The last team to rip through their opponents like that was probably the 2007 Ducks. And the Kings took out the top three seeded teams in the West and the Devils were red hot to close out the season, riding a six game winning streak and quickly disposed of a Flyers team whose offense was supposed to carry them far.

Try to give a shred of credit rather than trying to discredit a team for a very difficult achievement.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Evincar
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
So in a nutshell, the NHL sucks now and there aren't any good teams and no team was really deserving or worthy of winning the Stanley Cup last season? You can find flaws in just about any organization, it just so happened that the Kings didn't have many (if any) during their playoff run and they badly outplayed their opponents. Find me a team that played as well as the Kings did during the playoffs. The last team to rip through their opponents like that was probably the 2007 Ducks. And the Kings took out the top three seeded teams in the West and the Devils were red hot to close out the season, riding a six game winning streak and quickly disposed of a Flyers team whose offense was supposed to carry them far.

Try to give a shred of credit rather than trying to discredit a team for a very difficult achievement.
They got hot at the right time. It happens a lot in sports, especially recently. There is just too much parity in the NHL today. Its not hard to rip through perennial playoff powerhouses like St. Louis and Phoenix. I just didnt find them that impressive. Im sorry if that bothers you.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote