HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kim Johnson's value

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinAddict
He'll get at least 4M/year.
I would doubt it. He would have commanded 4/yr. with a healthy and productive season, but I have to believe that the concussion problem is going to cause his price tag to drop. He almost never misses a game, but thanks to a cheap shot by Dan Cleary, Johnsson hasn't played in 4 months and doesn't sound like he'd be ready to play anytime real soon.

I think his best move would be to sign a 1 year deal, prove he can stay healthy and then cash in on a bigger money long-term deal.

Old
05-03-2006, 07:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
Call me crazy, but didn't UFA-to-be Denis Gauthier get more than that?

Because of the number of games missed, can Johnsson have incentives included in his contract? (If I remember right - the only way to have incentives in a non-entry contract is if you miss so many games the previous year)

I bet that a GM will miss out on the Tier 1 (Chara/Redden), Tier 2 (McCabe, Jovo, Blake), get desperate and make Johsson an offer based on him staying healthy ($3.5-4M).

Gauthier didn't miss half the season with a concussion (although it is a gross overpayment).

Take it from me, Johnsson did not play as well as he had been in years past with the Flyers, even before his concussion. He might not be able to hit the Green Monster at Fenway Park from left field.

He was asked about coming back and he said he had no idea when (although it was a matter of when and not if)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-03-2006, 08:15 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I would doubt it. He would have commanded 4/yr. with a healthy and productive season, but I have to believe that the concussion problem is going to cause his price tag to drop. He almost never misses a game, but thanks to a cheap shot by Dan Cleary, Johnsson hasn't played in 4 months and doesn't sound like he'd be ready to play anytime real soon.

I think his best move would be to sign a 1 year deal, prove he can stay healthy and then cash in on a bigger money long-term deal.
We'll see, but teams tend to overpay for defenseman especially after their primary targets end up elsewhere. There are a few big name defenseman available and after those guys are gone, teams are going to get more desperate to fill holes on the blueline. It's not a stretch to say that there are more holes on bluelines around the league than there are available defenseman.

Old
05-03-2006, 09:17 PM
FlyersFanJS

i don't think the flyers let him walk...look for about 2-2.5 would be my guess...but there's no way philly lets a mobile defensemen go

Old
05-03-2006, 10:08 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
i don't think the flyers let him walk...look for about 2-2.5 would be my guess...but there's no way philly lets a mobile defensemen go
They will if they sign someone else for a better deal. The injuries could linger for a long time ("bruising behind his eyes?" ) However, a healthy Johnsson is better defensively than Kaberle, while Kaberle has it all over KJ when it comes to putting up points. This was just a bad, bad season for Kim, who was our best defenseman for long stretches in 2003-04.

Old
05-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Talent Analyst

3m/2 year ? I think its fair .

Old
05-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst
3m/2 year ? I think its fair .
A Little much. I think 2.6 for two years is reasonable.

Old
05-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Stephen

What's Johnsson's status now? I know the NHL is pretty sensitive with concussions and they like to give players a long time to recover. If it's Deadmarsh bad, obviously he won't get very much money. However, depending on how severe his problems are right now, I'd live to see him on the Leafs. He's got fantastic wheels and is great with the puck, and I'd be willing to take the risk to pick him up. A year off should be enough time to recover, right?

Old
05-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Gags1288

His status is that he isn't healthy enough right now to fly back to Sweden. The problem is that we don't have all the information, but I've heard it isn't concussion related. Apparently he has something behind the eye that is causing some vertigo symptoms. I'm not exactly sure what the deal is and it's too early to speculate about his health for next season.

I see Kim signing a one year deal at a very reasonable rate and trying to prove that he's healthy. That deal would've likely had incentives under the old CBA, but that's not longer possible (correct?). I'm guessing he signs for one year, 2 mil, and then gets a big pay day next season.

Old
05-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

YOu can still have incentives and bonus clauses, but they count against the cap.

Old
05-04-2006, 07:50 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
YOu can still have incentives and bonus clauses, but they count against the cap.
Only if earns them.

Old
05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
It Kills Me

PCS you say... Leafs will take him then .

Old
05-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
PCS you say... Leafs will take him then .
Don't even try.

Old
05-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Johnsson is far and away the better defender and it isn't even close. I like Kaberle and I think he's a great player, but he's not even close defensively when it comes to Johnsson. I'll give Kaberle the nudge offensively, but even then, it's still close. The only thing Kaberle has going for him is that he's younger than KJ, and that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olias of Sunhillow
You're all right and you're all wrong with your Kaberle comparisons.

Johnsson was clearly a much better defensive player in 2003-04 than Kaberle. He was excellent positionally, moved the puck extremely well, and made excellent decisions.

Johnsson was clearly a much poorer defenseman than Kaberle in 2005-06, even before the concussion problems. He was tenative, made poor decisions, and didn't utilize his skating ability in a way that came close to taking advantages of the adjustments in calling penalties.

KJ is a full step down from Kaberle offensively. They play a similar game, but Kaberle does everything a bit better.
+1

Old
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
I think Clarkes already said he wont be resigned, he has to be cleared by a doc to even fly at the moment.

The PCS looks to be real bad.

Closed Thread