HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Scored a top right corner goal on a 2 on 1.

Guy who passed to me comes to me and says "sick snipe dude". I said "I wasn't actually aiming there".
Something hilariously similar happened to me several years ago, I was skating down the right wing on a 2 on 1 and decided to snap one five hole. Puck rolled up on my blade as I was getting ready to release and it snuck in under the goalie's glove, off the inside of the post, and in. People told me it was a nice shot to beat the goalie down low like that and I admitted I was aiming somewhere else and the puck rolled up on me.

Always funny when that happens.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:20 PM
christianbk

vCash: 500
Today I played in my first organized game (first league game) of ice hockey. Started skating in May, went to some Learn to Plays & stick times... but tonight was the first real game I played in.

I loved it. So awesome. Was put as a third line RW and felt like I contributed.. a little Had some good passes, was out there on a PP goal, no goals against... I was happy.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:21 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Broke my Pro-stock Bauer APX in the 3rd game of the season. No ****ing warrenty.

Old
09-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Broke my Pro-stock Bauer APX in the 3rd game of the season. No ****ing warrenty.
Man I'm dreading the day I break my first stick. I'm going to die a little on the inside.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:58 AM
addybojangles

Played my first ever league game! It was awesome.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
My first skate in 3 weeks (been sick and/or busy) and we had only 2 on the bench.

Great way to kick my ass back into shape.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:02 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Played my last game in Vancouver tonight. The next time I play here is probably a couple years later.

Old
09-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Man I'm dreading the day I break my first stick. I'm going to die a little on the inside.
I've broken about 10 of my sticks in my hockey lifetime so I kinda expect it to happen now. I'm only surprised when I go through a game and it doesn't break

Old
09-17-2012, 10:12 AM
do0glas

studied up on dump and chase, but there isnt a lot out there in terms of positioning and stuff.

anyone have any good reads on the matter?

my team plays this, and i want to know where i should be and when for different situations.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:39 AM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
studied up on dump and chase, but there isnt a lot out there in terms of positioning and stuff.

anyone have any good reads on the matter?

my team plays this, and i want to know where i should be and when for different situations.
It depends on what forecheck your team uses.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:12 AM
PaperworkNinja

...don't feel sore after playing hockey with a bunch of college boys last night. I'm 39 and just started skating and playing ice hockey this year.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
...don't feel sore after playing hockey with a bunch of college boys last night. I'm 39 and just started skating and playing ice hockey this year.
Obviously you weren't working hard enough

Old
09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
Wait for it. I usually am most sore 48 hours after playing.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If I don't feel it the next day I usually don't feel it. It's when I have back to back skates that it really hurts.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:55 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Had conditioning yesterday and school hockey today

Old
09-19-2012, 07:31 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Wait for it. I usually am most sore 48 hours after playing.
Me too...

Old
09-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Ozz

Had 3 assists in our championship win for inline. 2nd in a row in this division, 3 out of 4 for the year. Playing for the championship in the next division up (shallow bench w/only our best players, and a goalie who's not as good) on Sunday.

Old
09-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I keep every stick I break. I have quite a collection, most of them consist of Nike Bauer one95s. I went through so many of those but to date, its my favorite stick I ever used.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:54 AM
PaperworkNinja

Blocked my first shot on goal tonight as a defenseman. He tried going high after I dropped to one knee and bounced it off my shoulder. The shoulder pads did all the work, I just stood there. Still, it's kinda cool to see the black mark on my white jersey and say "Yep. Stopped a goal there."

Old
09-20-2012, 01:32 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Played my last game in Vancouver tonight. The next time I play here is probably a couple years later.
Moving? Or did your league lock you out too?

Old
09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Maccas

It wasn't today but a couple of days ago I got an assist which was by far my best moment playing hockey so far.
We had been struggling to score on the goalie we were against (we aren't a high level at all) and I was getting more than a bit frustrated. I managed to find a little bit of space in the neutral zone so decided to try and take it in myself, I moved across the blue line and managed to blow past one D-man (who was a much better skater than me) I looked to bring it across and take a shot at goal but for some reason the inner Henrik Sedin in me took over and I decided to skate it wide. I looked across and didn't have many options but attempted to make a saucer pass across the crease. It sailed up into the air, over the pad of the goalie (Who was just dropping to Butterfly expecting me to shoot) and perfectly onto the stick of my team-mate. They slotted it in to the empty net with ease.
To be honest I am much more proud of this assist than any goal I've scored or pretty much anything I've done in hockey so far. It felt so good!

Old
09-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
It wasn't today but a couple of days ago I got an assist which was by far my best moment playing hockey so far.
We had been struggling to score on the goalie we were against (we aren't a high level at all) and I was getting more than a bit frustrated. I managed to find a little bit of space in the neutral zone so decided to try and take it in myself, I moved across the blue line and managed to blow past one D-man (who was a much better skater than me) I looked to bring it across and take a shot at goal but for some reason the inner Henrik Sedin in me took over and I decided to skate it wide. I looked across and didn't have many options but attempted to make a saucer pass across the crease. It sailed up into the air, over the pad of the goalie (Who was just dropping to Butterfly expecting me to shoot) and perfectly onto the stick of my team-mate. They slotted it in to the empty net with ease.
To be honest I am much more proud of this assist than any goal I've scored or pretty much anything I've done in hockey so far. It felt so good!
I don't know why but sometimes when I make a beauty pass it feels better than scoring some garbage goal. Im different though, I feel more satisfied sniping on a goalie than deking a tender out.

Old
09-20-2012, 06:36 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
I don't know why but sometimes when I make a beauty pass it feels better than scoring some garbage goal. Im different though, I feel more satisfied sniping on a goalie than deking a tender out.
Me too. I once did a pass behind my back that landed right on the other guy's tape. He didn't even score, but I still remember it so well.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semin View Post
I'll third this. Whether in a game or at pickup, a good pass will vividly stick with me for at least a few days and the really nice ones much longer.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Had my first practice/scrimmage before the season. Moving back to D this year. We played against a team two levels higher than us...it was a gongshow.

Had a sweet goal though. My D partner tied up a guy in our crease and the puck slid loose, I went end to end and deked around three guys, took a VERY rare slapper in motion from the left faceoff circle, and beat the goalie top shelf glove side. Now I've beat goalies high glove several times with snappers from the blue line, but I've probably only scored on a couple slappers in my life. Very proud of that one.

I started golfing a couple months ago and I think that's been helping with my slapper. I can make a much better hip rotation and the "hitch" at the top of my backswing is decreasing.

Closed Thread