HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Toni Rajala - Luleå HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Old
09-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Blunder
Neutral fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmeilja View Post
Well, thats what I partly disagree, because with he´s style of play, he could be a good player.
What do you mean about the dirty areas? Doesn't go to the net? Well, many snipers play like Rajala play, but of course he should bulk up.

With Rajalas development, probably the biggest mistake was to try to fitt him to the physical play at too early. It´s like you would start weight training at age of 3.

At the moment first of all, he needs experience in a big offensive role to get more experience and confidence in his play with the bug.
Second thing is to bulk up and get more muscle. After the bulk up he should play in North America and get more experience of the NA game.
Well, he is skilled for sure but his offense isnt that good. He cant just dance around defenders every time he enters the zone. He looses too many puck battles. He doesnt go to the net enough. Looks for the pretty play too often. Is weak in the corners.

Normally i would agree with you. No rush to bulk up. But for him its just a must if he wants to be a star player playing against men.

Last edited by Blunder: 09-16-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Blunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
In one game he scored one goal, but othervise did nothing.
Here are the highlites of this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidXvP4JBgQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
Rajala is a mystery to me nowadays. I saw his game against Jokerit, scored 2+1, was just plain awesome for whole match, looked very much like Gaborik. Then I check his point totals this season, about 0,4-0,5points per game..wtf?
And here are the highlites of the "Gaborik"-game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67h-udAYqMY

Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Zamuz

Quote:

Rajala was not the best player of the team. He was the best goal scorer, but Joonas Rask, Jesse Niinimäki ja and Masi Marjamäki are overall better forwards. Few D's were also better.

Still Rajala played a good season. I'd say, that was the light in the end of the tunnel season for Rajala.

Rask didn't even play a full season, can't compare. Niinimäki was close, but IMO Rajala was more dangerous player and got things done. You can't possibly be saying that any player of that D was better, worst defense in the league right there. Only "good" D was Koistinen, and he played half season and he is more of a forward than D, lol (In other words, can't play defense)

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Well, he is skilled for sure but his offense isnt that good. He cant just dance around defenders every time he enters the zone.
Thats why I think he primarily needs experience in an offensive role with big minutes. He has skill, but lacks of lethality due to he´s inexperience.
And he is good enough to play as a top 6 forward in the Sm-liiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
He looses too many puck battles. He doesnt go to the net enough. Looks for the pretty play too often. Is weak in the corners.

Normally i would agree with you. No rush to bulk up. But for him its just a must if he wants to be a star player playing against men.
Yes he should bulk up. I think he normally looses all the puck battles.

Old
09-16-2012, 10:59 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Hockey's Future has him ranked at a 6.0 C....let's put it this way, Tobias Rieder, a RW as well, is in a similar situation, he's smaller and skilled and had a great season in junior hockey last year, but because of his size, there are some who feel even he is a long shot to ever make the NHL, and he has passed Rajala on the Oilers prospect depth chart.

Last edited by ManByng: 09-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.
ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Ihmeilja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
Rask didn't even play a full season, can't compare. Niinimäki was close
I liked Rask more from his first games of the season to the end of the season. While Rajala was surffing in perimeter, Rask got inside the game and got things done more. Rajala is the type of player who you can see only in the scoreboard.
Niinimäki has sick skills, he´s skills are lightyear ahead of Rajalas and Niinimäki is very strong with the puck. Slow skater though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
You can't possibly be saying that any player of that D was better, worst defense in the league right there. Only "good" D was Koistinen
Jokipakka could also be mentioned.

Last edited by Ihmeilja: 09-16-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
09-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I'd like to see what Rajala does back in North America before calling him a bust. He was over a PPG player in his rookie year in the WHL before he had to go back home to Finland.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:05 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I'd like to see what Rajala does back in North America before calling him a bust. He was over a PPG player in his rookie year in the WHL before he had to go back home to Finland.
Playing against other kids and playing against pros are two completly different things though. Wasn't Chris Dingman kind of a scorer in WHL as a junior as well?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:17 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Playing against other kids and playing against pros are two completly different things though. Wasn't Chris Dingman kind of a scorer in WHL as a junior as well?
many players who could score in the junior leagues ended up either as enforcers in the NHL if they could fight and score in junior, or a role player only. the same would apply to kids playing in men's leagues overseas...doesn't guarantee they'll be NHL ready or that they'll even make it to the NHL.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Ihmeilja

Rajalas 2011-2012 scoring would translate into AHL stats as 25g+20a=45p in 80 games.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:16 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
Rajalas 2011-2012 scoring would translate into AHL stats as 25g+20a=45p in 80 games.
that's fine and well, but a big strong, tough forward named J.F.Jacques scored well, points wise, in junior and scored well, points wise, in the AHL, but when he got to the NHL....he was hard pressed to score anything, was on the Oilers 4th line most nights when he was playing at all, and now continues to struggle to play NHL hockey. players playing in Europe, juniors and the AHL doesn't necessarily mean it will equate into a successful NHL career.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Loffer

What is Rajala doing in the AHL? European hockey suits him much better-.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
that's fine and well, but a big strong, tough forward named J.F.Jacques scored well, points wise, in junior and scored well, points wise, in the AHL, but when he got to the NHL....he was hard pressed to score anything, was on the Oilers 4th line most nights when he was playing at all, and now continues to struggle to play NHL hockey. players playing in Europe, juniors and the AHL doesn't necessarily mean it will equate into a successful NHL career.
Yes, and there's also players who do good in juniors and still do good in the NHL also. There's also players who don't put up good stats in juniors or the AHL and turn into very good players. Give the kid a chance in NA again before we write him off.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
What is Rajala doing in the AHL? European hockey suits him much better-.
Well he hasn't even shown that to be true. Not even close to a star player in SM-liiga.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 03:59 AM
Ihmeilja

Rajala will spend the season in ECHL, was sent to Stockton Thunder... I just tell you, he's screwing up his career. ECHL will only make him worse player. Lack of competition and game tactics is bad combination.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Rajala will spend the season in ECHL, was sent to Stockton Thunder... I just tell you, he's screwing up his career. ECHL will only make him worse player. Lack of competition and game tactics is bad combination.
AHL is so stacked this year, no room for him unless he really steps up.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:46 AM
wings5

Bump 11 pts in 9 games so far in Stockton on 6 g +5 a. Better ppg average than Brandon Dubinsky.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Temego

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Bump 11 pts in 9 games so far in Stockton on 6 g +5 a. Better ppg average than Brandon Dubinsky.
It's well known that he shines against lesser competition, but I honestly dont think that ECHL will do any good to him. If he cant crack the AHL-roster, would have been better to stay in Finland and play in SM-liiga.

Temego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temego View Post
It's well known that he shines against lesser competition, but I honestly dont think that ECHL will do any good to him. If he cant crack the AHL-roster, would have been better to stay in Finland and play in SM-liiga.
They making him to go through harder route, in the end it will pay out if Rajala want's it bad enough he will succeed on it.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:02 AM
wings5

Quote:
To play on the worst team in the league? Yeah that will do him a ton of good...If anything this little stint will make him a more effective european player in the future if he manages to start to play fearless and gain some strength.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:03 AM
YARR123

Quote:
It's not so easy to crack an AHL roster this year, especially a stacked one like OKC. If he keeps producing like this they'll probably have to have a look at him in the A

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:05 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
It's not so easy to crack an AHL roster this year, especially a stacked one like OKC. If he keeps producing like this they'll probably have to have a look at him in the A
If the lockout ends and Hall, RNH, Eberle, Paajarvi and Hartikainen all head for the big club then he will definately be given an ample opportunity with Oklahoma.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:20 AM
nonoob12

looks like hes doing pretty good at ECHL 17 points in 12 games good for him

http://leijonat.fi/index.php/compone...merikassa.html

nonoob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:21 PM
YARR123

Bump up to the AHL soon?

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Bump up to the AHL soon?
I hope so. Drop Curtis Hamilton and give Rajala the chance.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote