HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Holding stick on faceoff

Old
09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
turbodaze

vCash: 500
Holding stick on faceoff

Is there a method of holding your stick on a faceoff?

Also do you stay low on your skates?

I seem to see the NHL and AHL on tv holding it a certain way.

Thank you

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Capital O TEETEE 613
Sensored

vCash: 50
Sometimes centerman hold there bottom hand backwards, inorder to draw it back to their defenceman with the backhand. Its a method that gives you a little bit more speed and strength.

Except it is easy to defend against because you are giving away your move.

Yes it is good to get a low center of gravity so you cant get pushed off the puck.

Capital O TEETEE 613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Wide stance, low center of gravity and having your lower hand as low as possible (wide grip) should help to win faceoffs.

Although when getting low on faceoffs, if you're playing with a visor or without any face protection, watch out for accidental high sticks, or you could get serious eye injury or lose some teeth.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:43 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Supposedly the best way to hold the stick is with your upper hand closer to the middle of the shaft. That gives you a quicker release and more leverage on the puck.

Like this:

Edit: I just noticed that it looks like the other player's stick actually broke, if that tells you anything about the leverage you get this way.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 01:59 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Supposedly the best way to hold the stick is with your upper hand closer to the middle of the shaft. That gives you a quicker release and more leverage on the puck.

Like this:

Edit: I just noticed that it looks like the other player's stick actually broke, if that tells you anything about the leverage you get this way.
LOL and the ref's like okay let me get outta here (looks away). but good example of a wide stance low bend face-off win, dominant.

AmazedRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 08:06 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post

Except it is easy to defend against because you are giving away your move.
I don't know about that. I'm one that likes to draw it back in most situations and I don't really care if the other side knows what I'm going to do. it doesn't mean that they will be able to beat me and if it helps me win the puck cleanly to my D I feel it's worth it.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Capital O TEETEE 613
Sensored

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
I don't know about that. I'm one that likes to draw it back in most situations and I don't really care if the other side knows what I'm going to do. it doesn't mean that they will be able to beat me and if it helps me win the puck cleanly to my D I feel it's worth it.
I'll block you're stick every time. Before the pucks on the ice ill block your backhand....maybe you'll get another wack at it, but that will have nothing to do with your hand position.

You may not really understand, my move is to block you, therefore I'm not going for the puck at all.

Capital O TEETEE 613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:17 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
I'll block you're stick every time. Before the pucks on the ice ill block your backhand....maybe you'll get another wack at it, but that will have nothing to do with your hand position.

You may not really understand, my move is to block you, therefore I'm not going for the puck at all.
no, I understand and I've had people try it. few get that far because I like to cheat by not having my stick down on the ice completely. the majority of times I'm getting the puck before it hits the ice. if you're quicker than the other center (no matter what your hand position or strategy) you'll win the faceoff more often than not.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

If you're on home ice, it's easier to get away with the low stance... Purely because the away player puts their stick down first, meaning you can dictate where to go, in this case, low.

If you're away, it's not so easy...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:30 PM
HowToHockey

I just shot a video with former NHL player Wayne Primeau he coaches a AAA team and was a great faceoff man when he played in the OHL

And here is one that I did with a few more little tricks

Basically
  • Bend the knees
  • wide stance
  • choke up on the stick to get your bottom hand closer to the blade
  • Watch the refs hand and move right when his does
  • For players that are the same hand as you, you can knock their stick out of the way then win the puck back

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote