HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Darius Kasparaitis

Old
09-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Sadekuuro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
he gave me one of my best hockey memories, game 7 ot winner vs buffalo.
I still can't believe Hasek didn't stop that one.

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Frozen North
Healthy Scratch

He was the inspiration behind the worst hockey-related banner I've ever seen in an arena:

(seen in Nassau Colliseum immediatly prior to the first round of the '94 playoffs)

"Kaspar the Un-friendly Host"

Frozen North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:52 PM
redbull
2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
I can't say for sure but I think a lot of it had to do with him playing on the same team as Yashin. A lot of people saw what he was able to bring physically and salivated. He wasn't a bad selection if you look at the draft, though. Definitely top ten defenseman, and at his peak one of the most impactful out of his draft class. Not one of the best defenseman but he brought a lot to a team.
he did play with Yashin only in their draft year, but Kasparaitis had been with Dynamo since he was 16 (though didn't play much until he was older).

He was a very good prospect, smooth skating, showed good puck skills, passing, and a physical edge - ie. "north american style" that teams loved.

That was a pretty bad draft, Kaspar was a pretty good pick, even in hindsight.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

He's still got nasty skills! Better hands than people gave him credit for.

Best hipchecker ever.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Oowatanite

I feel he was underrated he was a great defenseman.

Oowatanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Johnny Engine

I'm really puzzled by people saying he was underrated.

Everyone knew he could hit, and he had this "these are the kind of players you win with!" mystique about him, even though there isn't a whole lot to back that one up.

I assume that going around saying that players who you remember 10 years ago but didn't win trophies are "underrated" might just be something people say when they have nothing else to say.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:21 AM
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post
One of my favorite hitters back in the day. I would call him opportunistic but not dirty.

Just looked him up on wiki and never realized he went 5th overall in 1992. Anyone here know how he was drafted so high? Was he projected to be an offensive D?
From the NHL Official Guide & Record Book in 1992:

"Kasparaitisis already renowned as a world-class defenseman, having played on three championship teams in 1991-1992, including the CIS gold medal winning team at the 1992 Olympics and CIS National League's championship Moscow Dynamo. An intelligent rearguard who plays a calm, collected game behind the blueline, he is noted for his shot blocking and checking skills."

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:40 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
I'm really puzzled by people saying he was underrated.

Everyone knew he could hit, and he had this "these are the kind of players you win with!" mystique about him, even though there isn't a whole lot to back that one up.

I assume that going around saying that players who you remember 10 years ago but didn't win trophies are "underrated" might just be something people say when they have nothing else to say.
Yup.

This thread is basically just a confirmation of how over-rated he actually is. Loads of people claiming how awesome he was, when in fact he was kinda crap for most of his career. Again, the guy spent the majority of his career as a 3rd-pairing defender playing ~17-18 minutes/game.

Basically the defensive version of Jordan Tootoo. A slightly below-average player who gets loads of hype and becomes a household name because the way he plays the game gets him on lots of highlight reels.

Again, yeah, he had a couple blips where he played like a decent #3-4 guy, but those were the exception rather than the rule.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Yup.

This thread is basically just a confirmation of how over-rated he actually is. Loads of people claiming how awesome he was, when in fact he was kinda crap for most of his career. Again, the guy spent the majority of his career as a 3rd-pairing defender playing ~17-18 minutes/game.

Basically the defensive version of Jordan Tootoo. A slightly below-average player who gets loads of hype and becomes a household name because the way he plays the game gets him on lots of highlight reels.

Again, yeah, he had a couple blips where he played like a decent #3-4 guy, but those were the exception rather than the rule.
This is why he is underrated. He was a very good defenseman. People keep saying that he sacrificed position to make hits which is not true in most cases but it didnt happen more often after getting injured. Its sad that his body was destroyed before his prime because he was excellent prior to that.

Hobnobs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:38 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
This is why he is underrated. He was a very good defenseman. People keep saying that he sacrificed position to make hits which is not true in most cases but it didnt happen more often after getting injured. Its sad that his body was destroyed before his prime because he was excellent prior to that.
And again, this is just myth.

He was pretty good as a rookie playing #4-5 minutes for the Islanders.

We then didn't see that form again for another 5 years. His play fell off terribly in his last couple years for the Islanders, and he was basically a bottom-pairing guy for the duration of his stay there. Terrible discipline, too many penalties, constantly running out of position, spent more time trying to irritate the opposition than actually play solid defense.

After being traded to Pittsburgh, not much changed. On a team that was bloody thin on the blueline, he was generally the #5 guy, and from 1997-2000 was behind the immortal Brad Werenka in the pecking order there.

His last 2 years in Pittsburgh from 2000-2002 were the best of his career, quite easily. Stopped running around quite so much, and this was the only stretch in his career where he consistently played top-4 minutes. Did very well in 2002 in the playoffs for Colorado.

Then his play fell apart after signing the big UFA deal in NYR. Yeah, body falling apart might have been part of the reason. But it wasn't like he was a consistently excellent player before that.

The guy was basically a solid #4 defender for 2 years out of a 15-year career, and a bottom-pairing guy for the most part aside from that. He had long stretches where he really wasn't a much different player from the Todd Simpsons of the world. In terms of current players, he's had a *very* similar career to Andy Sutton, a guy nobody thinks even remotely highly of.

But again, talk about him now and he's treated like he was some sort of top-pairing, hard-hitting defensive stud. And he simply never was. The definition of over-rated - compare the name recognition and hype he still gets now relative to a massively superior player like Keith Carney or Dmitri Yushkevich.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:45 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Good post.
I dont like the debate about him being over- or under- rated, for all of who saw him play, he never was #1-2, on the other hand, I don't remember that he was #6 anywhere. So that's a range from #3-5, depending on a shape and team. And..wow..Andy Sutton is a great comparision. Hard hitting decent defensman who doesnt bring much more of anything on the table.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote