Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Eastern Europe
Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

HC Donbas

Old
09-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

vCash: 500
I'd just be happy to get promoted back to the 2nd tier. Last year was embarrassing.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:08 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
I'd just be happy to get promoted back to the 2nd tier. Last year was embarrassing.
Nothing would please me more than seeing Ukrainian hockey prospering, but lets not pretend that few months of a NHL lockout will fix everything that has gone wrong in past 20 years with Ukrainian hockey like Helo is making it sound. No offence to him, but dude sometimes really needs a reality check.

Both Mikhnov brothers visiting Berkut's hockey school is doing more good to the Ukrainian hockey than anything Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky will put on board in Olympic qualifiers or WC in the spring. Though is Donbass milks it right and lock-out goes on for a while, both NHL'ers could possibly bring more media attention to the game of hockey than it would of have without them.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Nothing would please me more than seeing Ukrainian hockey prospering, but lets not pretend that few months of a NHL lockout will fix everything that has gone wrong in past 20 years with Ukrainian hockey like Helo is making it sound. No offence to him, but dude sometimes really needs a reality check.

Both Mikhnov brothers visiting Berkut's hockey school is doing more good to the Ukrainian hockey than anything Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky will put on board in Olympic qualifiers or WC in the spring. Though is Donbass milks it right and lock-out goes on for a while, both NHL'ers could possibly bring more media attention to the game of hockey than it would of have without them.
I think people are more excited about Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky because it shows that hockey in Ukraine is heading in the right direction and that the process of repairing the development program is finally underway. They may not accomplish a ton on the ice, but their return and willingness to be a part of this program is inspiring in itself.

Also great to hear about the Mikhnov's showing up in Kiev and attending some stuff for Berkut. Alexei is probably the best Ukrainian to come through the system in recent years and Andrei has been a National Team member for years. If all goes well Ukraine will take another step and Berkut will join the KHL or VHL next season and will create rivalry amongst the Ukrainian teams and improve the state of hockey in Kiev. A jump back to the second division for the NT will help the progression as well.

All the wrong of the past 20+ years won't be fixed in a couple years, but it's encouraging to see so many improvements and so much dedication to the revival of the sport in Ukraine. This is good reason for people to get excited about the future, and even to some extent, to the present situation of hockey there.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:

I don't think I'm making any leaps of faith by saying having them on the WC roster would help get us out of Div IB into IA. Nobody's saying all the problems will be fixed over night, but it'd be nice to be back to our old problems (stuck on the outside of the real WC) and out of our new problems (like being worse than South Korea)

Quote:
Both Mikhnov brothers visiting Berkut's hockey school
When did this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I think people are more excited about Fedotenko and Ponikarovsky because it shows that hockey in Ukraine is heading in the right direction and that the process of repairing the development program is finally underway. They may not accomplish a ton on the ice, but their return and willingness to be a part of this program is inspiring in itself.

Also great to hear about the Mikhnov's showing up in Kiev and attending some stuff for Berkut. Alexei is probably the best Ukrainian to come through the system in recent years and Andrei has been a National Team member for years. If all goes well Ukraine will take another step and Berkut will join the KHL or VHL next season and will create rivalry amongst the Ukrainian teams and improve the state of hockey in Kiev. A jump back to the second division for the NT will help the progression as well.

All the wrong of the past 20+ years won't be fixed in a couple years, but it's encouraging to see so many improvements and so much dedication to the revival of the sport in Ukraine. This is good reason for people to get excited about the future, and even to some extent, to the present situation of hockey there.

Good poast.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
ozo

Quote:
I don't want to be the Mr. Negative again, but currently it only shows that there's a dude in Donetsk who can pump 20+ millions in the hockey team per season, because I can't see how Fedotenko's short term signing shows us that there's any repairing, of Ukrainian development hockey, currently going on.

Then again the article Donbass posted on their website few days ago about the signing of two more world class youth hockey coaches could indicate that hockey in Ukraine could be heading in the right way. But yet again this is an isolated case and I can't make broad generalizations about whole Ukrainian hockey programme.

Old
09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
ozo

Quote:

When did this happen?
May 21st. Here's a link, both supposedly are a "vospitannik" 's of Berkut's coach Sibirko.

http://hc-berkut.com/ru/articles/ite...-nashey-dyussh

Old
09-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
I don't want to be the Mr. Negative again, but currently it only shows that there's a dude in Donetsk who can pump 20+ millions in the hockey team per season, because I can't see how Fedotenko's short term signing shows us that there's any repairing, of Ukrainian development hockey, currently going on.
Fedotenko's signing has nothing to do with the plethora of things going on right now. Kolesnikov pumping millions into the organization is part of it, though.

Quote:
Then again the article Donbass posted on their website few days ago about the signing of two more world class youth hockey coaches could indicate that hockey in Ukraine could be heading in the right way. But yet again this is an isolated case and I can't make broad generalizations about whole Ukrainian hockey programme.
- PHL
- new arenas around the country
- PHL expansion to non traditional markets (re: anywhere not kiev & kharkiv)
- possible youth league soon
- KHL team, to keep locals from getting russian passports
- Berkut & their organizational growth
- Donbass & their youth teams ('98 Bears, Donbass-2, etc,)

Old
09-16-2012, 08:00 PM
CoolForumNamePending

Ya... I think most are acknowledging that Ukraine hockey has fallen way behind, has declined to the point where it will have to try to rebuild itself from its current state of near ruin and has a looooong way to go. I think it is also fair to acknowledge that by the sounds of it for the first time in a long time it is showing some signs of life and might still be able to pull itself out of the abyss.

CoolForumNamePending is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 10:43 PM
smitty10

Quote:

The fact that there's someone who's willing to pump that kind of money into the program is a sign that things are changing. He may only write the cheques, but Kolesnikov throwing millions of dollars into the youth development, Donbass-2 and HC Donbass is definitely a positive, and that he could convince Fedotenko and Poni to both sign in Donetsk also shows progression because both of these guys have avoided playing for or in Ukraine like the plague. Clearly both of these guys think that the program is headed in the right direction and want to be a part of it even if only for a few games.

Confidence in the program is key going forward and when the players top 2 players come back to play in Ukraine when they have many other opportunities speaks volumes. It may not do a lot in terms of helping Ukrainians develop, but it's a step in the right direction.

Old
09-17-2012, 06:51 AM
ozo

Quote:
and that he could convince Fedotenko and Poni to both sign in Donetsk also shows progression because both of these guys have avoided playing for or in Ukraine like the plague. Clearly both of these guys think that the program is headed in the right direction and want to be a part of it even if only for a few games.
Again, it only shows that the money is right. Saying that they see positive things in whole Ukrainian hockey is ridiculous. Even funnier it looks when you consider that both could of committed to this supposed revival already in the summer.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:04 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Again, it only shows that the money is right. Saying that they see positive things in whole Ukrainian hockey is ridiculous. Even funnier it looks when you consider that both could of committed to this supposed revival already in the summer.
Playing in the best league in the world normally trumps playing anywhere else, and these guys clearly feel the same way. Both still had the option to sign NHL contracts and stay in NA where both their families are now settled. However, it is good that as a backup plan they were ready to commit to the program especially when their pay was capped and they could have signed anywhere outside of the NHL that they wanted.

Tell me this; how is it that you don't see any progression in the Ukrainian hockey system? The creation of the PHL and the addition of HC Donbass to the VHL last year and now to the KHL, which creates a retention program amongst the younger players and kids coming through the development system by allowing them to play all the way up to the top level of hockey in Europe, in Ukraine. Now instead of moving to Russia and taking Russian passports/citizenship, these kids will actually have an opportunity to develop at home and represent Ukraine on the international level. Also, don't you think that having numerous owners who are willing to spend $20+ million dollars a year on contracts, infrastructure, youth programs, etc to be a progression? Hockey was almost dead in Ukraine and these billionaires are part of the revival process. They may only fork out boatloads of money, but they are also contributing to the revival of hockey and creating better conditions for Ukrainians to develop.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

2 shootout losses in a row...

Old
09-18-2012, 06:31 AM
ozo

Quote:
Playing in the best league in the world normally trumps playing anywhere else, and these guys clearly feel the same way. Both still had the option to sign NHL contracts and stay in NA where both their families are now settled. However, it is good that as a backup plan they were ready to commit to the program especially when their pay was capped and they could have signed anywhere outside of the NHL that they wanted.

Tell me this; how is it that you don't see any progression in the Ukrainian hockey system? The creation of the PHL and the addition of HC Donbass to the VHL last year and now to the KHL, which creates a retention program amongst the younger players and kids coming through the development system by allowing them to play all the way up to the top level of hockey in Europe, in Ukraine. Now instead of moving to Russia and taking Russian passports/citizenship, these kids will actually have an opportunity to develop at home and represent Ukraine on the international level. Also, don't you think that having numerous owners who are willing to spend $20+ million dollars a year on contracts, infrastructure, youth programs, etc to be a progression? Hockey was almost dead in Ukraine and these billionaires are part of the revival process. They may only fork out boatloads of money, but they are also contributing to the revival of hockey and creating better conditions for Ukrainians to develop.
I never said that, I clearly see that. But Ukrainian hockey revival has nothing to do with Ponikarovsky and Fedotenko spending a couple of months in Donetsk. Everything else you wrote is absolutely correct, but I dislike that you and Helo are giving to much weight to these two signings.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

http://isport.ua/hockey/khl/news/217272.html

Poni/Feds will join the team in 2-3 days

Old
09-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

A wild Poni appeared

http://hcdonbass.com/news/donbass_1/...iy_v_donetske/

Old
09-20-2012, 06:54 AM
ozo

Quote:
They really need any help they can get, what a trainwreck season has been so far. Level on points with Vityaz...

Old
09-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

It's only 6 games in to the season...

Old
09-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Xokkeu

Babchuk to Donbass?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
“I have not visited Ukraine since 2004,” confessed 33-year-old HC Donbass new signing.

“Ukraine is my Motherland, Kiev is my native city, but I’m very interested in visit to industrial Donetsk, where I have never been before. I want to play here and help new team in it’s the very first KHL season. I’ve got a chance to keep my shape till the lockout ends and play hockey in the best continental league representing Ukraine and the only Ukrainian club. I am happy about that. I need to talk to coach and adjust to play-field that bigger than in the NHL. It is not a such a big problem," Ruslan added.

Fedotenko visits Arena Druzhba immediately after arrival. He has found there his personal dressing box ready and next to… Ponokarovsky’s locker

Old
09-20-2012, 06:26 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Babchuk to Donbass?
I believe it's been confirmed.

Is he eligible to represent Ukraine internationally?

Old
09-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

wouldn't he have to play in Ukraine for a few years to do that? Nabokov rule.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:37 PM
smitty10

Quote:
wouldn't he have to play in Ukraine for a few years to do that? Nabokov rule.
Not sure. He's only ever represented Russia at the under 18's; is that an IIHF sanctioned event?

Old
09-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Of course it is

http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-wo...igibility.html

Old
09-21-2012, 07:32 AM
ozo

Four years of lockout and Babchuk would be able to play for Ukraine.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Xokkeu

Well who is Zherdev signed with? Hehe

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote