HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Olli Maatta, Matia Marcantuoni among Pittsburgh Penguins' prospects to watch in 2012-

Old
09-17-2012, 09:45 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Olli Maatta, Matia Marcantuoni among Pittsburgh Penguins' prospects to watch in 2012-

The Pittsburgh Penguins organization injected their prospect pool with a massive amount of talent at every level this past off-season and will consequentially head into the 2012-13 season with many questions. There will be eight new additions to their minor-league roster, but there will also be many eyes on 2012 first round draft picks Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maata, both of whom recently signed entry-level contracts.

Below are some of the more intriguing stories headed into the 2012-13 season:

Pro

Top Pro Prospect
Simon Despres, D, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL)

Though the Penguins have several top prospects with professional experience, Simon Despres might be the most valuable.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:54 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Really going to be pulling for Tangradi to move up the depth chart quickly, maybe even start with a chance onn Crosby's wing. As long as he can use his body to forecheck, control the puck, and can get in position to take passes (ideally on his off-hand side - RW), I think he can be a servicable winger at least.

The question is who else would play with Sid and Tangradi. Dupuis might be a good choice with his speed and defensive play, coming off a real solid season, but ideally it would be someone with hands and speed, someone the Pens don't really have. Maybe Bennett? Not likely.

Also, even if the season had of started on time, I think Bylsma would of had Despres penciled firmly into the top-6, and potentially even on Letang's left-side on the top pair.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Really going to be pulling for Tangradi to move up the depth chart quickly, maybe even start with a chance onn Crosby's wing. As long as he can use his body to forecheck, control the puck, and can get in position to take passes (ideally on his off-hand side - RW), I think he can be a servicable winger at least.

The question is who else would play with Sid and Tangradi. Dupuis might be a good choice with his speed and defensive play, coming off a real solid season, but ideally it would be someone with hands and speed, someone the Pens don't really have. Maybe Bennett? Not likely.

Also, even if the season had of started on time, I think Bylsma would of had Despres penciled firmly into the top-6, and potentially even on Letang's left-side on the top pair.
So, who was waived or traded?

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
I think there's a decent chance we could start the season with 8 D on the roster. rotating Strait, Bort, Engells and Despres. So I guess Lovejoy would be axed though.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think there's a decent chance we could start the season with 8 D on the roster. rotating Strait, Bort, Engells and Despres. So I guess Lovejoy would be axed though.
2012/13?

I know, 8 is a possibility, yet Lovejoy is still here, we'll find out soon hopefully...

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Jacob

I'd rather keep Lovejoy if we're gonna have 8 D in the NHL. Whoever the #8 guy is, they're not going to be playing much anyway, so I'd prefer it be Lovejoy than Despres.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I'd rather keep Lovejoy if we're gonna have 8 D in the NHL. Whoever the #8 guy is, they're not going to be playing much anyway, so I'd prefer it be Lovejoy than Despres.
Despres would likely be the number 5 in my plan. With Engo, Strait and Bortuzzo fighting/rotating for the 6 spot. I agree that if Despres will be doing any significant amount of watching from the press box he should be in the AHL. I just don't think he will be.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Despres would likely be the number 5 in my plan. With Engo, Strait and Bortuzzo fighting/rotating for the 6 spot. I agree that if Despres will be doing any significant amount of watching from the press box he should be in the AHL. I just don't think he will be.
Yeah that is my assumption as well. It is very unlikely that Despres is outplayed by Strait, Bort, or Engel in camp or whatever we end up having. Lovejoy needs to go and let the other 3 battle it out.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Are there feeds for the OHL online? In the absence of NHL, it's time to watch some Macaroni.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:05 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
With so many NHL-ready dmen to choose from obviously Bylsma/Shero would not make final decisions/cuts until training camp.

Either 8 would be up, or if it wasn't possible, Despres would be given a chance, and if he was making a difference Lovejoy would get waived.

Lovejoy is a depth defensemen, and depth defensemen are going to quickly become expendable on this team.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Are there feeds for the OHL online? In the absence of NHL, it's time to watch some Macaroni.
Fear not good Sir.

Since I'll be living in Kitchener and watching the games on local TV and maybe attending a few of them live I can be keep an eye on Macaroni for ya.

#MacaroniWatch

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Even Sportsnet here in Canada that usually shows OHL games hasn't announced anything as of yet. It will be a very long year

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:53 AM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yeah that is my assumption as well. It is very unlikely that Despres is outplayed by Strait, Bort, or Engel in camp or whatever we end up having. Lovejoy needs to go and let the other 3 battle it out.
When Lovejoy was a prospect battling for a roster spot he looked like a fairly maintaneceable 5-6 dman. But now with our defensive pool I agree with this, he is a hurdle we do not need that defensive prospects with a much higher ceiling need to jump in order to get a pro spot. Need to just waive him, if he gets picked off good for him, he maintains a NHL spot. If not he can play in WBS and give some veteran leadership to any young dman that are also there.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Wow you guys have some good D prospects.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:36 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too before the lockout. That way, Ray could see which ones are ready and not feel so bad if he has to trade or waive one of them if no good trade is available.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 03:38 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Wow you guys have some good D prospects.
More like a lot, but it's tough to even discuss it on the main board in those "who has a decent prospect pool of defensemen" type threads because it ends up being one of those "well...I love my team and so I am going to pump my own team's prospects over yours and completely make this thread irrelevant now" type contests.

Olli intrigues me a lot, something about that kid makes me think the projections people have of him aren't even remotely close to how good he really can be. Same with Morrow.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote