HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What level of skates??

Old
09-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Bruinhockey

vCash: 500
What level of skates??

Hey All,
Love this site. Just registered and posting for the first time.

I'm looking for some insight to what level of skate I should get. I just started skating earlier this year when I bought a pair of Vapor x4.0's. Unfortunately they are sized too big for me causing blisters. I'm looking to get fitted by a reputable shop in my are and i was wondering how much more advanced skate I should move up to as a beginner/novice.

I was thinking either the vaporX5.0 or the x6.0 or what felt right in those price ranges up to $450.

Like i stated earlier, I just started skating with a LTS program then did a awesome 10 week skills session over the summer and I'm currently enrolled in a skill session (power skating focused) through December. I aslo started playing pick up 1 night a week. As you can see this is my first year skating but I plan on sticking with it so should I go up to the vapor 6.0 level? Or is that type of skate too much skate for a novice like me?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Bruinhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:11 PM
AIREAYE

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1099867

Post in there next time.

In short, get fitted properly, the X 4.0 level would be the most someone like you should consider.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Bruinhockey

Thanks for your reply. I did look through the skate fiiting thread which I thought was great!

Obvious my objective is get the proper fit, but why shouldn't I move up to the 5.0?

I am 6' tall and 210 lbs. Does this paly into the decision? I'm not oppossed to getting another pair of 4's that are properly fitted, but I'd like to why I i really shouldn't move up to the 5.0"s if I'm going to purcahse new skates at this time.

Thanks

Old
09-17-2012, 10:06 AM
AIREAYE

I don't recommend the 5.0 because even though you're at that weight, you're still a beginner needing a bit more flexibility in your skates to learn the feel of your edges. The 3.0 is pretty soft, so the 4.0 seems to be a decent level.

See if you can find some older model skates that were once at that pricepoint and be sure to get fitted properly. You might find another skate more comfortable. As you improve and learn how to use your inside and outside edges more, upgrading to a 5.0 or 6.0 pricepoint would make sense, but for where you are at now, those skates would be a bit too much.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Bruinhockey

I greatly apprecaite the valuable and knowledgable feedback.

As i said earlier, the currents skates are 1/2" to full size too big. Is this enough in your opinion to warrant buying new skates now? How would my skating be effected if I didn't replace them?
Thanks

Old
09-17-2012, 01:51 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I don't recommend the 5.0 because even though you're at that weight, you're still a beginner needing a bit more flexibility in your skates to learn the feel of your edges....As you improve and learn how to use your inside and outside edges more, upgrading to a 5.0 or 6.0 pricepoint would make sense, but for where you are at now, those skates would be a bit too much.
I disagree only because we are talking about the Vapors. I have a pair of 7.0 and while the boot may be stiff the forward flex is very light. The skate overall is VERY nimble. There is no resistance when turning/cutting. Especially given the OP's weight there will not be a problem upgrading in the Vapors.

Now the Supreme I would agree the upper grades would be too stiff. I tried out a pair of ONE100's for a month. The boot is quite like a ski boot with almost no forward flex allowed. It is a powerful skate that you almost have to fight against to utilize its potential. Way too much for a beginner.

OP even a 1/2 size too big is just terrible. As tight as you try to tie the skate it seems to get loose easy. There may be bit of heel slippage which is a waste of energy and so annoying. The skate will feel clumsy like you're tripping over the toe of the skate. Make sure to read the details of AIREAYE's buying guide. Your toes must touch (not scrunch) the toe cap when you first fit them, because as you flex forward and the skate breaks in you're going to slip further back into the heel pocket.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:55 PM
AIREAYE

Talk to the manager of the shop you bought your skates from and see if something can be done since you were sized for skates too large.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Oh_so_saad

easton eq50's

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Bruinhockey

Hey all.
I went with a PROPERLY fitted vapor 5.0 and couldn't be happier. My 4.0's were a 9.5D and these are a 9D. What a difference. Fitter stated my foot is perfect for the vapor line. Tried other mfg and models during the fitting but 5.0 was the best fit. They feel like slippers and much lighter too. I also added the yellow super feet. I have skated twice on them and it's night and day! Once was 2 hours of pickup. Feel was great and skating technique was better according to some guys there.

Thanks for everyones help and I highly recommend getting PROPERLY fitted. Saving 20% on your skates is not just worth getting fitted incorrectly! as i have learned!