HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Season Ticket Holders, holding on or cashing out?

Old
09-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

vCash: 500
Season Ticket Holders, holding on or cashing out?

Are you going to hold on, or are you going to cash out?

I am debating on just cashing out, and using the money to have some more yard work done.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:18 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
holding on

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Sens1Canes2

I don't understand why anyone would cash out.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would cash out.
I don't own season tickets, but if you're getting the same amount you put into it, cashing out allows you to have that money for uses others than the season tickets. Some people don't like having their money locked into something that may not be any use this year

Put the amount in a bank to earn (very little) interest, then buy season tickets next year...or whenever the next season of the NHL starts.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:01 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I don't own season tickets, but if you're getting the same amount you put into it, cashing out allows you to have that money for uses others than the season tickets. Some people don't like having their money locked into something that may not be any use this year

Put the amount in a bank to earn (very little) interest, then buy season tickets next year...or whenever the next season of the NHL starts.
Yeah fair enough. If you have the intention of getting back in, I wouldn't want to jeopardize losing my preferred seat though. Maybe they have safeguards to prevent that from happening.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:47 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah fair enough. If you have the intention of getting back in, I wouldn't want to jeopardize losing my preferred seat though. Maybe they have safeguards to prevent that from happening.
They most definitely are not going to protect your seat priority and other loyalty incentives if you cash out. That's the point of loyalty incentives in the first place.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Like I said earlier, if I could go to games, I wouldn't when the season eventually started.

BUT that's if I didn't I have season tix. if you give those up, is there guarantee you'll ever have them again? Hockey is a great sport to see live, giving up prime seats that you won't get back seems like a regretful decision.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Here is the email I got from the Hurricanes.

With the September 15 expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between the NHL and the NHL Players Association, the NHL's Board of Governors has enacted a lockout. In light of this development, we want to provide our Season Ticket Holders with up-to-date information regarding your season tickets.

At this time, no games have been cancelled, and the possibility of the Hurricanes playing the full season schedule still remains; however, given the current uncertainty of the situation, ticket mailings have been suspended until the new CBA is reached. Assuming that an agreement is made to preserve the season in its entirety, 12-Game Plan Holders will receive their ticket plans in the mail approximately one week prior to the first game in their ticket plan.
If an announcement should come from the league that there will be a postponement or suspension of any games, then we will be sure to inform you of any planning adjustments that may need to be made as soon as possible. Should the unfortunate situation arise in which any games must be cancelled, we want to give you complete assurance that Season Ticket Holders will not pay for any games which go unplayed. Additionally, should the lockout continue past Sept. 29, the monthly payment drafts of Season Ticket Holders currently taking advantage of the extended payment program will be suspended.

Furthermore, your continued support as a Season Ticket Holder, during what we know is a frustrating time as the NHL and NHLPA strive to reach a balanced, long-term labor agreement, is tremendously appreciated. In honor of your patience during this process, Season Ticket Holders will be provided with 3% simple interest on the money in your ticket account (accrued beginning September 16, 2012 through the duration of a lockout) which can be used towards additional 2012-13 regular season or playoff tickets, or towards your 2013-14 season ticket renewal.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
They are giving us 3% interest on the amount we have currently paid. Sadly, that's more interest then i'd get if I cashed out and put it in savings.

I've debated cashing out and ending my 11 years of a STH, but I just can't yet. Let's see how long this goes. Who knows there might be a miracle and they get a CBA in place in time to not miss any games.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:42 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Basically they're giving us a free ticket or two. Good times.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:19 AM
CarolinaCaniac

We live in Charlotte and are 1st time 12 game miniplan buyers. If we miss any games, we're requesting a cash out for two reasons. First, if these morons are going to bicker over the size of their slice of the pie, I'm going to do my part to make that pie smaller. Second, this was the first time that an all-weekend game plan was offered and there's no guarantee we'll get one again next season. Weeknight games are literally impossible for us coming from 3 hours away.

CarolinaCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:16 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
They do. It's called "less than 6,000 STHs". You still have over 12,000 seats to choose from.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Guy

vCash: 412
I didn't even realize cashing out was an option. That being said, I don't plan on doing it.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I'm pretty sure the STH base is well over 6,000.

I don't have a plan of any kind, but 3% is free money. If you've already budgeted for it and plan on coming back after the lockout, you may as well let them hold onto it.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:56 AM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I'm pretty sure the STH base is well over 6,000.

Post your source please.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:21 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Post your source please.
It was reported over the summer that the STH base right now is the largest it has ever been (or something to that effect). The organization is being tight-lipped about the number, for whatever reason, but I was also told this by a ticket sales manager a week or two before it came out in the press.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:31 AM
TheBigKahuna

It's never been half of the capacity of the arena. And there have already been a lot of fans reportedly asking for refunds...which in part, is why the letter was sent out last week. I sincerely doubt they have more than 8,000 STHs. Losing your seats is a longshot..and not enough rason to keep paying for tickets at this point. If the STH base was 13,000 or more, you MIGHT lose your seat. But with less than half the buildings capacity presold, and a LARGE portion of those upstairs, it's not an issue.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:41 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I couldn't find anything in print, but I could have sworn at one point I read that it was between 10-12. Usually the burden of proof is on the person making the outrageous claim anyway (the Islanders at their worst still had 4500). There is no way it is as low as 6k with their "most ever".

Old
09-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
My cousin's gynecologist's best friend met Jim Rutherford once, and he can confirm that TheBigKahuna is right. The Canes had sold 322 season tickets as of the beginning of the lockout.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:48 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Not sure what the purpose of that post was, but thanks for your contribution I guess.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:17 AM
geehaad

Quote:
It's never been half of the capacity of the arena. And there have already been a lot of fans reportedly asking for refunds...which in part, is why the letter was sent out last week. I sincerely doubt they have more than 8,000 STHs. Losing your seats is a longshot..and not enough rason to keep paying for tickets at this point. If the STH base was 13,000 or more, you MIGHT lose your seat. But with less than half the buildings capacity presold, and a LARGE portion of those upstairs, it's not an issue.
Post your source please.

Quote:
Not sure what the purpose of that post was, but thanks for your contribution I guess.
An attempt at humor a la Ferris Bueller.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Quote:
You're very welcome, anything to help!

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Post your source please.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Let's get all our sources out on the table and see who's just blowing smoke here.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:54 AM
TheBigKahuna

The Canes have been the ones blowing smoke about STH sales for years. Last numbers I heard were 6,000 range....peaking around 8,000 at one time around 2007.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Canes have been the ones blowing smoke about STH sales for years. Last numbers I heard were 6,000 range....peaking around 8,000 at one time around 2007.
Source?