HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonidas View Post
Looks like Tim Thomas picked a good year to take off. Doesn't look like he'll miss much.
You have an awesome username!

Old
09-16-2012, 10:48 PM
bobafettish*

vCash: 500
dont you feel sorry for these guys.........

Old
09-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
lol - ok

Bettman's the only one to lose a whole season. I'm not excusing the owners. I hold them 90% responsible for this.

Part of Bettman's job is to be the interface between the owners and the players. He has failed miserably at that.

I'm not a traditional Bettman hater but this is the final straw for me. He doesn't even make an attempt have a reasonable relationship with the union, or anyone else for that matter. He is a failure.
?? The NHL tried to start CBA talks back in January and the NHLPA refused. It was their right to refuse, but don't try to cover up the union's "we can't talk right now" as Bettman "failing miserably at trying to be an interface" between the two groups.

He tried. They said no. Eight months gone with zero to show for it, thanks to the NHLPA.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Master Yoda
Master Deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
f u players! f u gabriel landeskog! f u jonathan towes! f u sidney crosby! f u owners!

f u players, you greedy pieces of bowel!!

Old
09-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Watching that drivel made me throw up a little bit.
Everybody is to blame. The players stalled for a year and has only offered theoretical concessions while demanding a re-distribution of wealth. The owners have asked for too many concessions.

They are more interested in playing the blame game than they are in playing hockey.

***** 'em all.

Work out a deal.
Drop the puck.

Old
09-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Why do I not recognize the guy at :51? Who is he?

Old
09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Why do I not recognize the guy at :51? Who is he?
Yeah, its killing me that I can't place him. It's like there is yet another Staal out there. Haha.

09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Yeah, its killing me that I can't place him. It's like there is yet another Staal out there. Haha.
It's James Reimer. First time I watched the video, I couldn't tell who he was until now.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Haha. Random. First overall pick and team captain, second overall pick and team captain, third overall pick and team captain and then...James Reimer?

Old
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The lockout will be over when the owners want it to be over. Any lost money now will be more than offset by the savings they obtain with any new agreement.

The lockout will last as long as it will take for the players to cave.

(BTW, I'm with the players in this, but they have to realize they have zero leverage - it's too much a niche sport for lost gate and TV revenue to matter.)

Owners are quite happy taking as long as needed until they get their way. I didn't think there would be a lockout this season because I assumed (erroneously) that the players would understand they are screwed and also realize that that a 50/50 revenue split with HRR left as-is is the fastest way to play hockey again, and they need to agree to that. It seemed like a no-brainer. The players aren't willing to do that (yet), so here we sit.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

How long until Frozen Fury is canceled? BTW.. anyone still going to Vegas? I am. I say we play a pick up game at MGM the day of!

Old
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The lockout will be over when the owners want it to be over. Any lost money now will be more than offset by the savings they obtain with any new agreement.

The lockout will last as long as it will take for the players to cave.

(BTW, I'm with the players in this, but they have to realize they have zero leverage - it's too much a niche sport for lost gate and TV revenue to matter.)

Owners are quite happy taking as long as needed until they get their way. I didn't think there would be a lockout this season because I assumed (erroneously) that the players would understand they are screwed and also realize that that a 50/50 revenue split with HRR left as-is is the fastest way to play hockey again, and they need to agree to that. It seemed like a no-brainer. The players aren't willing to do that (yet), so here we sit.
That is why fans should strike once this is over.

Instead of running back waving our checkbooks(which is saying "We're good with three lockouts in 8 years),
We should show them that there are consequences

Last edited by Flour Child: 09-17-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old
09-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
That is why fans should strike once this is over
I agree and I think I'm going to hold true to my word. No money spent on Kings tickets or at games this year. I'll accept free tickets should they come my way. If they don't play until next season, then I'll do the same next year. Only exception is Frozen Fury since I haven't missed that since 2003. MGM has to be bummed because they are probably going to miss out on a lot of business next weekend.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Is there anyway that the Kings would send the Monarchs to Vegas to play the Frozen Fury game still? That would be fine in my book. AHL hockey is better than no hockey and lots of us made plans months ago for this.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

How does the NHL have lockouts but the minor leagues never do?

Old
09-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Martyros

Quote:
That is why fans should strike once this is over.

Instead of running back waving our checkbooks(which is saying "We're good with three lockouts in 8 years),
We should show them that there are consequences
Unfortunately, fans will never unite because they just want to watch their hockey, live.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Unfortunately, fans will never unite because they just want to watch their hockey, live.
I agree it's going to be tough to pull off but we have to quit being as loyal as dogs and running back with our tails between our legs after getting beaten.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:42 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
How long until Frozen Fury is canceled? BTW.. anyone still going to Vegas? I am. I say we play a pick up game at MGM the day of!
If I get drunk enough (near blindness) you guys might even look like the real thing.

Now there's a concept that can save the owners a ton of money.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:50 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
I agree it's going to be tough to pull off but we have to quit being as loyal as dogs and running back with our tails between our legs after getting beaten.
This! I've had my moment this past season. Kings won the cup, and I flew out and was at Games 3 and 4 for my first ever Kings games at Staples... I'm good on hockey experiences for a bit after that and can honestly walk away and spend zero of my money on them. If this is how they want to treat the fans then I'll hit them in the wallet. I'll still be here checking up on them and posting I'm sure but as far as contributing any money to either NHL or NHLPA I'm out. No merchandise, no NHL 14(even contemplating trading in my copy of NHL 13) no tickets to Wild games, no more NHL Center Ice. Nothing.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Wow, Westgarth has come out swingin' http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...tory?track=rss

Quote:
“They can’t get away with the same tricks and lies that they have in the past. I think the fans deserve better and deserve hockey … on the ice.”
Quote:
“One side of their mouths is how we’ve had record revenues, the game has never been stronger,” Westgarth said. “And all of a sudden, next week is how they can’t live with the way things are right now and how these contracts are too long. And the next day, two guys [Zach Parise and Ryan Suter] sign for $200 million [combined].

“It is very strange from our point of view. And we’re not sure what to believe from the owners at this point, given how different teams have acted.”
There's more, Westgarth is on fire: http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/09/17...ns/#more-25713

Brown on his downtime as well:

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller

Last edited by Telos: 09-17-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old
09-17-2012, 09:02 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Wow, Westgarth has come out swingin' http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...tory?track

That was a good read. As a fan, who was really looking forward to the opener, the banner raising, and seeing Lunquist vs Quick and two great teams...(maybe a preview of next years finals) I have been annoyed that there was no pressure to get this done sooner, why did they wait so long and long lapses between (sometimes) very short meetings.
THis quote from Westgarth from that interview was disturbing. You can't negotiate without talking.
Quote:
The day that we were going to get locked out, we asked to meet and they said, `Unless you’re completely changing your stance, there’s no reason to.
He also gave an audio interview (below) and talked about a variety of subjects. He said that the Kings were the best represented team at the NHLPA meetings last week 15 King players showed up. He felt that was very important for them, to hear it from Fehr.

Old
09-17-2012, 11:50 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
I am blaming the lockout on the new Prius
I blame everything on Herby

09-17-2012, 11:50 PM
damacles1156

The lockout will be over, when the owners say it's over.

Until then, all this talk is a BS trash talk show. The players have Zero power.

This is not the NFL, with a two billion dollar TV contract on the line.

The NHL owners (majority) would rather not play hockey(AT ALL) under the current CBA.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Fishhead

I don't think there is much solidarity on either side this time around. Right now it seems so, but I doubt it stays that way. I don't have the grim feeling I had during that cancelled season year (that could be the cup, though )

If I was a rank and file guy, I'd be pissed to see big name guys going to play elsewhere. Here I am taking a hit for what I believe is a fair deal, and guys who are already have ridiculous amounts of money are bolting to make even more. Their ridiculously structured contracts are a reason the league is in a fix. It's "Pay me, or I leave". I have no problem with free agency, but just milking teams for everything you can is very unbecoming. The vast majority of guys who don't make a kings ransom have to have a gnawing feeling inside. They still make a lot of money, but after taxes and all if they only play for 3 or 4 seasons on a lower contract they aren't making any more money over their lifetimes than a solid, successful businessman. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is an opportunity cost here, and it's a loss of income that can never be made up. I don't see them sticking together for long like they claim to be now. If I'm a guy like Westgarth, I'm steamed because I don't make a fraction of what a star does, and I'm here working and representing and he's overseas padding his wallet.

On the other hand, I don't see a brotherhood with the owners at all. They certainly aren't all in the same boat. Guys like Snider don't give a crap about the other owners, they are in it to win, and they don't care how much it costs. In a perfect world, that's how it should be, but there are limited dollars in the pool of sports fans out there with regards to the NHL. The big teams have a successful product and don't want to give money to the small teams, and I don't blame them. While some smaller teams may legitimately bust their butts to do everything they can to build a successful franchise, there are guys like Wang who consistently just take advantage of the system. I see a rift developing as the big market teams have plenty to lose by a lockout, while the smaller markets have absolutely nothing to lose.

Both sides are to blame here. In addition, I also put some blame on some of the ridiculous things certain agents do. For every Brisson, a good guy who gets a fair shake for his client without a circus, there are idiots like Meehan and others at Newport, who put on a show to suck every penny out they can for their client, regardless of the damage done. That's just bad for the health of the game in general. The hardball-holdout crap and the extravaganza for Brad Richards just leave a bad taste in my mouth. The players have a hand in it, because they hire these guys, but I don't think a lot of them know exactly what they are signing up for with certain agents.

Another group I blame are some of the GM's in the league who have no idea how to build a team, draft, and structure a payroll. They have little vision and only think short-term, which leads to craptacular decisions and throwing loads of money at mediocre players to try to fix a problem that is beyond fixing with free agents. The Islanders have had top 10 picks in 6 out of the last 7 seasons, with 4 of them being top 5, and they haven't sniffed the playoffs in 5 years. It's not like they are on the cusp, either. The Blue Jackets have had a top 10 pick 11 our of their 13 drafts, 8 of which have been #6 or earlier. They've broken 90 points and made the playoffs just once. That, is the definition of poor management.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Just thought of something, and I don't remember the answer last time, but if we are locked out for an entire season, how do they handle the 2013 draft order?

Closed Thread