HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Any Hockey Refs Here?

Old
09-15-2012, 08:10 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

vCash: 500
Any Hockey Refs Here?

Was thinking of getting into it. Getting a lil older @ 32 but still can skate like a champ. Was wondering the pay and how the system works from reffing mites to college. Be nice to hear how you like it and if you think it's worth getting started in and if it's possible to do full time with maybe some other freelance work. I have a very steady job and great pay but I'm a mindless drone and would love to leave and move on to the next chapter in my life. Appreciate your time.

Thanks!

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

In my 5th season of reffing and I love it, I'm lining at a fairly decent level

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:04 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
In my 5th season of reffing and I love it, I'm lining at a fairly decent level
Do you do it as a side job or full time?

Old
09-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I'm in my third season, and lining the 3rd League in GB...

The moneys pretty good, it's a good thing to get in to I must say...

AS for me, it's full time for me (Even though it's only a Saturday and Sunday night) but I'm just too lazy to get a job...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnsoclean View Post
Do you do it as a side job or full time?
I'm a student, so it's enough to get me by. But definitely wouldn't earn enough doing it as a full time job in this country

Old
09-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
AS for me, it's full time for me (Even though it's only a Saturday and Sunday night) but I'm just too lazy to get a job...
Because you got fired by the Co-op

Old
09-16-2012, 11:18 AM
mbhhofr

I'm retired now, but I refereed and lined for thirty-five years. I did everything from pee-wee to pro. Where else in hockey, other than being a goalie, will you be on the ice for the whole game? You get paid for having fun and you get some new names.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
You get paid for having fun and you get some new names.
"Having fun" is pushing it a bit sometimes, I get the odd women's game when the score is like 20-0 and I'm thinking why do I do this

and Beville can tell you all about "new names"

Old
09-16-2012, 11:09 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
I'm retired now, but I refereed and lined for thirty-five years. I did everything from pee-wee to pro. Where else in hockey, other than being a goalie, will you be on the ice for the whole game? You get paid for having fun and you get some new names.
Trying to find my purpose in life for how crazy it may sound. I'm 32. Was a pretty good hockey player but I'm past that now. My job I hate with a passion because I'm never busy and feel like a mindless drone, but it's GREAT money. Money doesn't make me happy though. I want to do something I love and I know the money will come. I love hockey & football. I'd love to work for a professional team in some kind of way or anything to keep myself around the sports.

Any advice is appreciated. Hopefully I can figure out what I want to do soon. I was hoping this would be good start.

Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 09-16-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old
09-16-2012, 11:56 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Trying to find my purpose in life for how crazy it may sound. I'm 32. Was a pretty good hockey player but I'm past that now. My job I hate with a passion because I'm never busy and feel like a mindless drone, but it's GREAT money. Money doesn't make me happy though. I want to do something I love and I know the money will come. I love hockey & football. I'd love to work for a professional team in some kind of way or anything to keep myself around the sports.

Any advice is appreciated. Hopefully I can figure out what I want to do soon. I was hoping this would be good start.
I posted this before. It's an article that I wrote. I received a few e-mails from referees of all ages telling me that it inspired them. Maybe you'll get something from it.

http://www.hockeylink.ca/coaches_ref.../arch_2001.htm

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:18 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:

I wouldn't quit your day job just yet, you'll have to work your way up until you're doing a level which will get you enough pay to get by

Old
09-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:

Do something you love or have a job that gives you the money to do something you love. Something that makes it easy to get up in the morning.

Reffing may not pay the bills but maybe it will give you a reason to look forward to tomorrow. That's what it's all about.

And then who knows where it will lead.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:20 AM
fryer98

I hope I don't sound like a jerk or a downer, but at 32 hoping to move into reffing to be a full time job probably isn't going to happen.

Quote:
I posted this before. It's an article that I wrote. I received a few e-mails from referees of all ages telling me that it inspired them. Maybe you'll get something from it.

Great article.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:56 AM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
I hope I don't sound like a jerk or a downer, but at 32 hoping to move into reffing to be a full time job probably isn't going to happen.

Great article.
I guess I'm not looking at doing it as my full-time job. I'm planning on freelance work and that would be part of it. You spend most your life at work. I firmly believe in doing something you love for your job, and if you don't.. you're wasting life. So I have to pull my head out of my ass. And get it figured out.

I may be 32, but don't feel like it.. I'm in better shape than most kids 10 years younger than me. I don't think 32 is too late to start something like officiating. Last time I checked, there's no 32 year old refs in the pro's but I could be wrong.

Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 09-17-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old
09-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
I may be 32, but don't feel like it.. I'm in better shape than most kids 10 years younger than me. I don't think 32 is too late to start something like officiating. Last time I checked, there's no 32 year old refs in the pro's but I could be wrong.
Most of the NHL guys will be older than 32 yeah, but it takes years to get to that level

Old
09-17-2012, 12:26 PM
fryer98

Quote:
I guess I'm not looking at doing it as my full-time job. I'm planning on freelance work and that would be part of it. You spend most your life at work. I firmly believe in doing something you love for your job, and if you don't.. you're wasting life. So I have to pull my head out of my ass. And get it figured out.

I guess I should ask...
Where do you live?
What's the highest level of hockey you've played?
What level of games are you expecting to do now as a beginner?
What level of games in the future for it to supply enough income?

I don't think it's too late to start officiating, I just think it's too late to start on the path for it to become your primary income. I guess that depends on how much is enough money for it to be your primary income though.

Being in shape is one thing, having the experience and reffing ability is a whole different story.

What do you mean there are no 32 year old refs in the pros? Meaning, they're all older?

Old
09-17-2012, 01:03 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

I understand it takes years and years of experience to get to the high levels and I wouldn't expect it to just come to me. I believe that hard works pays off and if I put my mind to something I don't fail. I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything but if you want something bad enough, chances are you will get if you don't give up. If I do this, I won't half-ass it. I will study to be the best I can be.

I'm in Minnesota so there's more hockey here than anywhere in the U.S. I'd be happy to get to the college level. I read about the 4 levels so I know I'd have to work my way up through the years. I'd be fine with living on $50k a year as a income but I doubt that's possible with reffing alone.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
fryer98

Quote:
I understand it takes years and years of experience to get to the high levels and I wouldn't expect it to just come to me. I believe that hard works pays off and if I put my mind to something I don't fail. I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything but if you want something bad enough, chances are you will get if you don't give up. If I do this, I won't half-ass it. I will study to be the best I can be.

I'm in Minnesota so there's more hockey here than anywhere in the U.S. I'd be happy to get to the college level. I read about the 4 levels so I know I'd have to work my way up through the years. I'd be fine with living on $50k a year as a income but I doubt that's possible with reffing alone.
Club college or NCAA?

Old
09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
Club college or NCAA?
I know I'd have a uphill battle to reach NCAA DI starting this late, but I think DII/DIII would be realistic.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Gino 14

At a minimum, you're looking at 4 years to get to a level 4 USAH official, your best shot at doing college level hockey. Then you have to deal with the good ole boy system to get a foot in the door at that level. My guess is that you started a bit late to achieve that level but good luck with your dreams.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:44 PM
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie

Quote:

Great read and thank you! It's crazy how much hockey & the world has changed since you started. You definitely were able to see it all and watch the sport grow to what it has. It seems if some of the local brawls that you mentioned happened today it would be blown up by the media like no other, back then it was just normal and people moved on. You could write a book! You did start at a very young age, dang at 32 I never thought I'd feel old. But it's all good. I'll keep doing my research online and see if it's for me. At least I'm in the perfect state for it, because winter time I'm starting to get quite bored these days.

Old
09-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
"Having fun" is pushing it a bit sometimes, I get the odd women's game when the score is like 20-0 and I'm thinking why do I do this

and Beville can tell you all about "new names"
Don't forget kids games, boring as hell...

As for new names, don't even get me started youth!

Old
09-25-2012, 06:14 AM
BADoglick

I used to do roller hockey for kids and adult rec, but I stopped. I disliked it. It helped me get better at skating, that's for sure. But people complain when it's clear as day they made penalties.

Flag football is what I do now, but for just kids. I enjoy it a lot more. It's a lot more relaxed, I don't get yelled at ever from the parents and coaches. It's just for fun. And it's 25 and hour 5 hours a weekend, three on Saturday two Sunday.

BADoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADoglick View Post
I used to do roller hockey for kids and adult rec, but I stopped. I disliked it. It helped me get better at skating, that's for sure. But people complain when it's clear as day they made penalties.

Flag football is what I do now, but for just kids. I enjoy it a lot more. It's a lot more relaxed, I don't get yelled at ever from the parents and coaches. It's just for fun. And it's 25 and hour 5 hours a weekend, three on Saturday two Sunday.
Come to over England, and I guarantee a parent will swear at you within 5 minutes.

Old
09-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Come to over England, and I guarantee a parent will swear at you within 5 minutes.
I hear in England, school kids call their teachers "c**ts".

Such charm from the country that brought us Shakespeare.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote