HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL has a great opportunity!!

Old
09-16-2012, 03:50 PM
chrisp200

vCash: 500
KHL has a great opportunity!!

With the labor disputes in the NHL, the KHL has it's best opportunity to show off it's league and it's players. I personally think that if the KHL did it right, many people in Canada and the States would at least follow the KHL a little bit. What is going on with the English speaker annoucer? and what else is the KHL doing to take advantage of the NHL crisis? I can tell you right now being from Pittsburgh, the fans here are obsessed with Malkin and a lot would watch him regularly if some sort of cable access was available or the streams were flawless. I know, I kind of rambled in this post, but I am excited to see how the KHL handles the situation.

chrisp200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Vicente

Now KHL gets a lot of additional media attention and many new spectators for the league with all the new star players. This is a win-win situation for the league.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
ViD

that's until they watch a game from Astana or Cherepovets unless something changes really soon

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 06:13 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
that's until they watch a game from Astana or Cherepovets unless something changes really soon
ViD, you surprised me in a good way admitting this, because sometimes IMO you turn a blind eye to the shortcomings of the league but not this time.

I agree, KHL should grab this opportunity by the balls and market the hell out of the incoming superstars. It's the age of the internet, it's so easy to promote something nowadays, so hopefully KHL can steal a slogan of the Olympics and really "inspire a generation". Shame that Datsyuk didn't sign in Yekaterinburg, the hockey in the city could of used his face.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:27 PM
CoolForumNamePending

IMHO high end NHL talent playing in the KHL should help the league continue to grow and build momentum in Russia but I don't really think it will result in establishing any sort of long term substantial following in North America. I think generally NA NHL fans are pretty "provincial" and don't look past the team in their own city nevermind following a league on the other side of the world.

There are tons of posters here who think a tournament as high quality as the IIHF WC is garbage and not worth their time and top European leagues are glorified beer circuits so while it certainly won't hurt I am skeptical of any serious inroads being made.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp200 View Post
With the labor disputes in the NHL, the KHL has it's best opportunity to show off it's league and it's players. I personally think that if the KHL did it right, many people in Canada and the States would at least follow the KHL a little bit. What is going on with the English speaker annoucer? and what else is the KHL doing to take advantage of the NHL crisis? I can tell you right now being from Pittsburgh, the fans here are obsessed with Malkin and a lot would watch him regularly if some sort of cable access was available or the streams were flawless. I know, I kind of rambled in this post, but I am excited to see how the KHL handles the situation.
There is acouple of possibilities to watch zthe games in the US as long as you pay. There are pay-per-view streams available on khl.ru and you actually can get KHL-TV in NA.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:46 AM
Den

There is no need to go out of the way to satisfy the NAcan viewers: they will turn away the moment the LO is over.

But a good English commentator targeting the Euro market should be there...

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
I'd say it in a different manner: big ice hockey has a great opportunity.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:58 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Would be nice to have some channel whether it be an international channel or a sports channel here in US that carried a game or a few a week. Replays or whatever. Lockout or not there would be some interest in it by hockey fans.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Fulcrum

95% of people are posing by threatening the NHL to watch KHL. They'll MAYBE watch 5 minutes of KHL before declaring TV quality horrible, stream - unreliable/uncomfortable, hockey - figure skating and so on. They will all go back to NHL as soon as possible.

The other 5% might actually enjoy the hockey, get to know the teams and the players and take interest.

I agree that KHL should make a Good attempt to please NA audience, but they shouldn't go out of their way anymore than NA audience is willing (majority are not) to accept KHL as a legit league.

We are a couple of days into it, the media could care less about alternative hockey. In Ontario, they continue to bash and put down KHL and only report the negative, while making fun of the positives. Now it's all football and baseball. They don't think/realise that networks like TSN or CBC could air some good KHL games and grow viewership through some basic marketing. Not to mention, they would piss off NHL in future network negotiations.

NA fans are the ones getting screwed over by all these politics in the end.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:29 PM
yunost

Everyone keeps talking like the streams are the worst thing ever.

Sure, the KHL wont be able to spoil you with HD streams,
but Ive been streaming the KHL online, in North America, since the league started. And I think its fine. You can see everything, names on jerseys, logos, puck etc.

If your not some primadonna that needs super high quality HD on your huge plasma TV you'll be fine. Since when is the minimum to bear a game flawless HD anyway?

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Since when is the minimum to bear a game flawless HD anyway?
since HD became the standard.

i sure as heck won't watch some low-res stream.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Everyone keeps talking like the streams are the worst thing ever.

Sure, the KHL wont be able to spoil you with HD streams,
but Ive been streaming the KHL online, in North America, since the league started. And I think its fine. You can see everything, names on jerseys, logos, puck etc.

If your not some primadonna that needs super high quality HD on your huge plasma TV you'll be fine. Since when is the minimum to bear a game flawless HD anyway?

My standard is that I have to be able to see the players numbers clearly and the puck. There are some streams out there that just don't meet that criteria. Watching horribly pixelated figurines of players where the colors all look the same and with horrible sound is not good.

But I agree with you, majority of KHL streams is very watchable although not TRUE HD.

No stream will ever beat watching HD TV or Projector while on the couch on saturday night with an order of pizza and friends, and that is the experience that NA fans are used to and KHL can't deliver that. No one would ever invite friends, or go to a bar to watch a stream. And hockey is a very social sport to some.

Solution - TSN or CBC to air KHL game of the day on saturday in full HD with good commentators. With decent marketing, it would work for sure.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:13 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I just get tired of looking on a computer. Would be far better on tv. I've wanted games shown for years. Nothing to do with a lockout really. Just an opportunity now to discuss it more. There is the Fox soccer channel. Why not just a hockey channel with all the Euro leagues shown on tape delay like soccer? Obviously wouldn't be Fox since they have numerous contracts with NHL teams,but some cable channel.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
95% of people are posing by threatening the NHL to watch KHL. They'll MAYBE watch 5 minutes of KHL before declaring TV quality horrible, stream - unreliable/uncomfortable, hockey - figure skating and so on. They will all go back to NHL as soon as possible.

The other 5% might actually enjoy the hockey, get to know the teams and the players and take interest.

I agree that KHL should make a Good attempt to please NA audience, but they shouldn't go out of their way anymore than NA audience is willing (majority are not) to accept KHL as a legit league.

We are a couple of days into it, the media could care less about alternative hockey. In Ontario, they continue to bash and put down KHL and only report the negative, while making fun of the positives. Now it's all football and baseball. They don't think/realise that networks like TSN or CBC could air some good KHL games and grow viewership through some basic marketing. Not to mention, they would piss off NHL in future network negotiations.

NA fans are the ones getting screwed over by all these politics in the end.
Wow! What a pile of BS!

Old
09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
My standard is that I have to be able to see the players numbers clearly and the puck. There are some streams out there that just don't meet that criteria. Watching horribly pixelated figurines of players where the colors all look the same and with horrible sound is not good.

But I agree with you, majority of KHL streams is very watchable although not TRUE HD.

No stream will ever beat watching HD TV or Projector while on the couch on saturday night with an order of pizza and friends, and that is the experience that NA fans are used to and KHL can't deliver that. No one would ever invite friends, or go to a bar to watch a stream. And hockey is a very social sport to some.

Solution - TSN or CBC to air KHL game of the day on saturday in full HD with good commentators. With decent marketing, it would work for sure.
What does that has to do with the league?

Old
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Wow! What a pile of BS!
Lol I agree its BS!

I'm just saying the general reaction of casual NA hockey fans.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
What does that has to do with the league?
How can you watch games where you don't even know who has the puck because you can't see the number on the jerseys?? Or even worse- you can't see the puck. It has everything to do with the league if someone is trying KHL for the first time and they see that quality of the stream or even highlights.

Old
09-17-2012, 09:37 PM
chrisp200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
I just get tired of looking on a computer. Would be far better on tv. I've wanted games shown for years. Nothing to do with a lockout really. Just an opportunity now to discuss it more. There is the Fox soccer channel. Why not just a hockey channel with all the Euro leagues shown on tape delay like soccer? Obviously wouldn't be Fox since they have numerous contracts with NHL teams,but some cable channel.
+1 for this, I've been intriqued by the KHL for a while but I want to see it on tv not my computer. I know I would follow it at least a little bit even if the NHL wasn't locking out. This also goes for Junior and College hockey.

chrisp200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 10:05 PM
VladNYC*

Does no one have a laptop with a HDMI port to hook up to their tv? Problem solved. I got a computer next to my tv that i use as a media station. Move into this century guys, don't let tv networks dictate what, when and how you watch things.

If you are a real hockey fan this should be a non issue. It takes two seconds to set up.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:28 PM
v-man

The time difference between the KHL games and the North American market is too large for them to gain any sort of significant viewership or following. Even the western most KHL night games start at noon on the east coast of NA, while the far east Siberian/Kazakh games start at 4 or 5am. What may make sense is to organize some sort of game of the week on Saturdays between top teams that could be played later at night (so mid afternoon on the east coast here) and broadcast on CBC/Versus.

If the lockout persists, they could also consider expanding the series of games being played in Brooklyn later this year to involve more teams, maybe adding Spartak and Riga since they have a history playing here during the NHL Super Series in the 80's. That of course would be tougher to do with the schedule shifting involved, but it would be a great opportunity to make a spectacle around hockey in a year where they may be none in NA (at the top level of course) and gain some exposure for the league.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
How can you watch games where you don't even know who has the puck because you can't see the number on the jerseys?? Or even worse- you can't see the puck. It has everything to do with the league if someone is trying KHL for the first time and they see that quality of the stream or even highlights.
You can't relate streams to a TV picture presented by the league. You can't see the puck on KHL-TV?

Old
09-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Even the western most KHL night games start at noon on the east coast of NA
Not really, the western-most KHL games start at 7 p.m. CET, which is 1 p.m. on the American East Coast. There are a handful of 1 p.m. weekend games scheduled during every NHL regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
while the far east Siberian/Kazakh games start at 4 or 5am.
On the other hand, the home games of Amur Khabarovsk start at midnight on the American West Coast. Amur's time zone is closer to Vancouver, LA, Anaheim et al, than it is to the rest of the KHL. Conversely, the western-most KHL teams are closer, in terms of time zones, to the NHL's East Coast teams like the Rangers and the Leafs, than they are to Amur Khabarovsk.

Our time difference here in Bratislava, Slovakia, to the NHL's East Coast teams is "only" 6 hours, whereas it is 9 hours to Amur, same as to the NHL's West Coast teams, just in the opposite direction. When Slovan plays in Khabarovsk later in November this season, for us the game willl start at 9 a.m. on a Thursday.

(In view of all this, I for one hope there can one day be a global hockey league, with a European and American division.)

Last edited by Faterson: 09-18-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
You can't relate streams to a TV picture presented by the league. You can't see the puck on KHL-TV?
I don't think you understood what I meant (twice I tried to explain), nevermind.

Old
09-18-2012, 09:31 AM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
On the other hand, the home games of Amur Khabarovsk start at midnight on the American West Coast. Amur's time zone is closer to Vancouver, LA, Anaheim et al, than it is to the rest of the KHL. Conversely, the western-most KHL teams are closer, in terms of time zones, to the NHL's East Coast teams like the Rangers and the Leafs, than they are to Amur Khabarovsk.
Sure, but North Americans aren't going to stay up passed midnight to watch Amur play (especially the Vancouver area, which still has several CHL and an AHL team to follow). At least in the KHL's west there are five or six teams that have a history with North American audiences. A midnight game isn't going to get the KHL any more exposure than they have now. A regular game on Saturday afternoon however might.

Last edited by v-man: 09-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote