HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

François Allaire will not return as goalie coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
09-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Raging Bull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
“No one was complaining about Allaire when Gustavsson was carrying the team in December. But I guess he’s the next thing. They’ve gone after the coach, after me, now it’s the goalie coach. Who’s next? Dave Morrison, our chief scout?

-Brian Burke

Seriously I can't wait until this crybaby is out of here. He accepts no responsibility for anything. Its quite pathetic.
Isn't that what a good boss does, defends and deflects attention away from his employees?

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Isn't that what a good boss does, defends and deflects attention away from his employees?
& takes the blame himself for the failure ..

It appears he is blaming the fans for complaining about the team losing by pointing fingers, and feels management should be immune to criticism for the poor results by deflecting it away here.

Accountability for the results is what the fans desire, and winning team does that.

09-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
& takes the blame himself for the failure ..

It appears he is blaming the fans for complaining about the team losing by pointing fingers
, and feels management should be immune to criticism for the poor results by deflecting it away here.

Accountability for the results is what the fans desire, and winning team does that.
Who said that, besides you?

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Swervin81
MFW Leafs be Leafin

Hire Glenn Healy so we don't need to hear that knobhead on the air anymore? Maybe Millen? Maybe help other teams' booths out (Bobby "Chief" Taylor, Brian Hayward, Tripp Tracy)?

We have no use for Allaire anymore, especially since we've hoarded quite a lot of solid netminding prospects. Hopefully we get someone who can work well with Reimer and Scrivens.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:51 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Really in the grand scheme of things, Allaire leaving is a miniscule event. If Eakins and King were leaving the organization, then that is a story.

Goalie coach's are overrated when they do good, and underrated when they do bad.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Suggesting that the media is unjustifiably creating a witch hunt for your staff... When in reality he's the GM of the 4th worst team in NHL over the last 3 seasons. Media/fans have every reason to criticize ... Is just childish - defensive ********. I'm seriously sick of the conflicts/controversies Burke creates as distractions from how piss-poorly this team has performed under his rein.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Who said that, besides you?
Who do you think Burke is referring to in this quote?

Quote:
No one was complaining about Allaire when Gustavsson was carrying the team in December. But I guess he’s the next thing. They’ve gone after the coach, after me, now it’s the goalie coach. Who’s next? Dave Morrison, our chief scout?

-Brian Burke

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Who do you think Burke is referring to in this quote?
I thought Burke was talking to the media reporters but that might just be me.

Liminality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Suggesting that the media is unjustifiably creating a witch hunt for your staff... When in reality he's the GM of the 4th worst team in NHL over the last 3 seasons. Media/fans have every reason to criticize ... Is just childish - defensive ********. I'm seriously sick of the conflicts/controversies Burke creates as distractions from how piss-poorly this team has performed under his rein.
When Burke took the job, he demanded full autonomy to control the on ice product, without interference from anyone.

So as the word "autonomy" suggests perhaps ultimate accountability should fall on the one person that processes it and should be therefore taking ownership for it, as opposed to deflecting it off in other directions.

Alliare having to jump ship, feeling its required to avoid further criticism, seems like misdirected anger for the poor results, he feels he is being singled out for, when there is really bigger fish to fry that should be held responsible.

Old
09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Coaches gone, assistant coaches gone, trainers gone, new skating coach, goalie coach gone, semi-new core. Not that I'm saying this is Burke's fault at all but he really is becoming the common denominator here. Slowly but surely.
So the team has been turned over twice, but the guy who has zero impact on how it's played is at fault.

1+1=fish

Quote:
No, that's what crybabies do.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:20 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks like the results do matter after all.

Leafs finished 29th overall in goals against last season, and near the bottom in all Allaire seasons in Toronto. A lightning rod for valid criticism. Goaltending is critical to NHL success, so this is a position that requires results.

How will we even know he is gone, unless the new guy shows better on ice results and gets praised for the work?.

I admire Allaire for falling on his own sword and accepting accountability for his body of work.
It's not the goaltending coach's fault that the Leafs finished 29th overall in GA, and close to that in Allaire's 3 seasons in TO. That's completely asinine. It's the fault of the GM, and the personnel he hired.

By the time goaltender's get to the NHL, they don't (or shouldn't) need to be taught how to play the game. That's not what goalie coaches do. It's about tweaking things here and there, if they feel something needs tweaking.

Allaire was hardly, "falling on his own sword", as you so eloquently put, he's getting the hell out of dodge from a situation with two struggling goaltenders and a media faction putting all the blame entirely on him. Don't blame him in the least.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
So the team has been turned over twice, but the guy who has zero impact on how it's played is at fault.

1+1=fish

No, that's what crybabies do.
So at what point is it the GM faults for the results of the team he assembled, management and scouts he hired, and other personnel/trainers he employs?

A GM never steps on the ice so is he immune forever, regardless of how all his decisions made work out?

Old
09-17-2012, 01:33 PM
DaveT83*

Who has allowed the most goals against the past three years?

2011-12
Tampa Bay, 281
TORONTO, 264
Columbus, 262
NY Islanders, 255
Winnipeg, 246

2010-11
Colorado, 288
Edm/Atl, 269
NY Islanders, 264
Columbus, 258
TORONTO, 251

2009-10
Edmonton, 284
TORONTO, 267
NY Islanders, 264
Tampa Bay, 260
Columbus, 259

“...the best goaltending coach on the planet.”
Brian Burke on Allaire - May, 2012

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
It's not the goaltending coach's fault that the Leafs finished 29th overall in GA, and close to that in Allaire's 3 seasons in TO. That's completely asinine. It's the fault of the GM, and the personnel he hired.

By the time goaltender's get to the NHL, they don't (or shouldn't) need to be taught how to play the game. That's not what goalie coaches do. It's about tweaking things here and there, if they feel something needs tweaking.

Allaire was hardly, "falling on his own sword", as you so eloquently put, he's getting the hell out of dodge from a situation with two struggling goaltenders and a media faction putting all the blame entirely on him. Don't blame him in the least.
Nice to have fans from other teams here to spread disinformation, as always.

Allaire said that he had a conflict with the coaching staff as the reason for leaving and not the media who barely wrote anything about him.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:39 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Who has allowed the most goals against the past three years?

2011-12
Tampa Bay, 281
TORONTO, 264
Columbus, 262
NY Islanders, 255
Winnipeg, 246

2010-11
Colorado, 288
Edm/Atl, 269
NY Islanders, 264
Columbus, 258
TORONTO, 251

2009-10
Edmonton, 284
TORONTO, 267
NY Islanders, 264
Tampa Bay, 260
Columbus, 259

“...the best goaltending coach on the planet.”
Brian Burke on Allaire - May, 2012

Our goalies/team, Allaire doesn't play in net.

The Blue Machine - Sept. 17/2012

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:47 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

I think Belfour would make a good goalie coach. A bit crazy, but if he can disseminate his work ethic it certainly couldn't hurt.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Sad to see him go.

I wonder how much money it would take to pry Mitch Korn out of Nashville? Would love to see him here.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:51 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Allaire wasn't given much to work with during his time here.

I find that quote from Burke kinda pathetic. It's hard to be a happy fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Does he expect us to be content when our team is the laughing stock of the league? He can defend Ron Wilson until he's blue in the face but he simply had to go, and stuck around a good year longer than he should have, not to mention the pity joke of an extension Burkie gave him before getting rid of him.

Anyways, either Allaire doesn't have it anymore, our goalies just didn't gel with his advice, or whatever, this is probably a change for the best. Simply, the people in charge of this team aren't doing a very good job, and Burke is all butt hurt that we see it everyday and are getting sick and tired of it.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

This strikes me as similar to the discussion of Dwayne Murphy, the Jays' batting coach, who seems to have one philosophy for plate approach and expects all players to cleave to it. Works great for Bautista and Encarnacion, not so well for anybody else.

I say "seems" because we don't really know what discussions take place between players and coaches, or what those players are asked to work on, so with Murphy - and Allaire - it's hard to know if a player's struggles might have something to do with the philosophy they're being taught.

The optics of Allaire leaving aren't great - particular the "too many cooks" angle. But I don't think Allaire should be immune from criticism: the goalie coach's job is to help players get better in order to achieve their potential. Did any of Allaire's charges achieve their potential under his guidance? It's very debatable.

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:54 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
“I think they have enough of them. They have two or three guys who were making decisions with the goalies. In the NHL, that’s not the way it works.

Goaltender James Reimer agreed that there was some “behind the scenes” issues with the Leafs coaching situation last year that affected Allaire’s role.

“I think there was some confusion last year and a couple of misunderstandings,” said Reimer. “I don’t know if everyone clicked last year. There was some trouble in some areas and … I don’t know if I want to get into it that much or comment on it too much. But I know that there were times when he was frustrated that we didn’t have more time to work on some stuff.”

“James Reimer, the past two years that I worked with him, I was really happy with everything. He’s a great kid. He’s going to be a great goalie.”
Well maybe they'll be better with no goalie coach.

If you are getting conflicting instructions, and Reimer even saying little isn't painting a good picture about how the team is managed.

Be interesting to find out which one of the coaches was undermining (my words) Allaire.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:56 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
So at what point is it the GM faults for the results of the team he assembled, management and scouts he hired, and other personnel/trainers he employs?
And there's the million dollar question. I'm not sure if chaos theory is the most appropriate model to bring up here, but a hockey organization is an absolute mountain of variables, to the point where ascribing the cause of one thing is nearly impossible, as it's just not a linear system. Case in point: the problem with the Leafs is that they allow too many goals against. Simple enough assertion, and I think we can all agree on that. "Why do the Leafs allow so many goals against?" is a significantly more complicated question, without an obvious, quantifiable, or statistically available explanation. At this point we start shooting in the dark, changing a reactant in the hopes that it changes the product. Goalies are changed, and the team still under-performs. The penalty kill is turned over twice. Dedicated penalty killers are brought in. The PK system is changed. The special teams coach is replaced. The head coach is replaced. The PK system is changed again. All of these are the logical decisions, and yet the Leafs still under-perform. It's honestly a bizarre, inexplicable situation. I can't make head or tails of it beyond blaming the hockey gods. As for Burke, meh. He's made at the very least nothing but logical moves, and I can't really fault him for that. I'm just not huge on firing him right now, because it makes about as much sense as tearing down the mast of your ship because the rudder's been replaced twice and still doesn't work.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:01 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

With Allaire now gone let's see if Reimer at least changes his style of play that he was taught. Everyone seem to say Allaire's method wasn't good anymore and he got a lot of the blame for both Reimer and Gustavsson's play in net.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Tak7

So clearly Burke wanted Allaire to stay.

Likely course of events?

1st - Allaire realizes that he's got very little in both Reimer and Scrivens to work with, and plans to jump off the sinking ship.

2nd - Rejects Burke's contract extension offer, with above in mind

3rd - Decides to wait it out and see if the team acqures Luongo, potentially giving him something that he can work with.

4th - Once it becomes dead certain that Luongo isn't coming, leaves the team.

5th - Fully realizing that this is the only market that a goaltending coach has any relevance or importance in main stream discussion, decides to leave a few zinger quotes on the way out the door.

Burke and co. have been slapped in the face.

Was Allaire good for Reimer's game? No. Not at all. However, let's not all be delusional in believing that with Allaire gone, Reimer is going to all of a sudden become an elite goaltender that helps us become a powerhouse. I can't see that happening.

Unfortunately I think Reimer will continue to struggle and be nothing more than an average NHL back up goalie. And with Allaire no longer the viable scape goat, the fans will turn on Reimer and that will drive a young, very likeable kid out of this town.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Was Allaire good for Reimer's game? No. Not at all.
Can you explain that?

Old
09-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Suntouchable13

Didn't Allaire say that Reimer will be great? So according to his own words he does have something to work with here

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote