HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well the off season is basically over....Lets grade it!

View Poll Results: Overall grade for the Wings off season
A 3 3.00%
B 4 4.00%
C 25 25.00%
D 38 38.00%
F 28 28.00%
Anything else. Put in your reply 2 2.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Frk It
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think they saw Suter as a done deal
Quote:
you have to ask the question about what you're fine with if we didn't get Suter. With how the summer played out it doesn't appear that the Wings had seriously considered that option.
Quote:
There was a lot of talk about how this organization would have to make a transition after Lidstrom. With how passive they played the offseason it looks like they lack a real goal for what direction they want to take
and this is exactly why this team deserves an F as a grade for the off-season, especially that last sentence.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
He needed to be more aggressive early and plan for not getting Suter. Wideman was the clear, second best option heading in and he fit a lot of needs for us (right handed, productive, handles both special teams, moderately physical). While I think Garrison was probably destined for Vancouver we needed to be in on that race as well. Once we lost out on Suter, and didn't have anyone else around to go after, we should have went harder after Semin with the goal in mind to have Semin free us up to move a guy like Flip for a D somewhere.

I'm also a bigger fan for standing pat right now and waiting to sign someone until after the CBA mess is over. Maybe a D would shake loose and we could pull him in as someone sheds some salary. And, if not, I have a feeling someone of Colacaiavo's ilk would still be on the market anyway. I'll wait to chalk it up as a negative, though, until the season actually starts and we know if he's made any moves.

Instead,Holland didn't give himself options outside of signing Suter. And it burned him.
Wideman didn't even hit free agency. Garrison signed before Suter did. We were one of the front-runners for Suter. I don't blame Holland at all for waiting on Suter. After he signed with the Wild the only decent option left was Carle. Agreed on Semin though.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
How was it stupid? You'd rather go into the season with only 6 defenseman and hope none get injured?
1) I'd sign a 7th defenseman and play kindl
2) If I didn't like Kindl, I'd sign a defensive defenseman who is actually good at killing penalties

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:37 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
I gave him a D. He missed out on bringing in a guy to carry the load on the blueline after the retirement of Lidstrom and Stuart jumping ship. That just hurts.

I don't mind the majority of the signings he made up front. I think Holland successfully made us a better skating, more physical, bigger and more difficult team to play against. Something that is probably going to stick out as a mistake is Bertuzzi getting re-upped, because it leads to what I think is the most legit complaint of the off-season.

Roster congestion. While I think signing Sammy, Brunner and Tootoo are all positive signings, Holland never made corresponding moves to shed weight like Miller and/or Eaves, and he brought back Bertuzzi, creating a massive log jam at forward. We needed some balance up front, so I think a lot of the signings had to be made. But we have to counter it by making moves on the other side to allow room for promotion for guys who have earned it - and I think cases could be made for Nyquist and Tatar, as well as longer looks for Emmerton and Mursak.

Instead, if everyone is healthy, Tatar is a lock for GR, at least one of Nyquist/Brunner will be in GR - possibly both, Mursak and Emmerton will be buried in the pressbox, and guys like Sheahan, Andersson, Callahan, Ferraro, etc. are pushed further down the totem pole. this will all but guarantee we run into more roster congestion problems down the road as we have more and more guys coming to the point where they have to clear waivers but we haven't seen enough of at the NHL level to make an informed decision on.
Roster congestion.
Our roster, for the first time in a long, long time, seems built for quantity, not quality.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Wideman didn't even hit free agency. Garrison signed before Suter did. We were one of the front-runners for Suter. I don't blame Holland at all for waiting on Suter. After he signed with the Wild the only decent option left was Carle. Agreed on Semin though.
I think this was a summer Holland needed to get out ahead of things. We lost too much off our top end and needed to make sure we brought in some sort of upgrade. We would have had to move on Wideman and Garrison early, but we had the cap room and could have easily swung moves later on if Suter panned out.

Of course, if we seemed more willing to trust our prospects a bit I could be sold on us doing a bit of a rebuilt/retool right now but that doesn't appear to be happening either with Holland hauling in so many vets to eat up roster spots up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Roster congestion.
Our roster, for the first time in a long, long time, seems built for quantity, not quality.
Yeah. As I said above, I could feel better about this offseason if Holland made other moves to either trade for a high end player or make room for the kids but we're going down the road of the Calgary Flames at this point.

09-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Nyquist

Quote:
1) I'd sign a 7th defenseman and play kindl
2) If I didn't like Kindl, I'd sign a defensive defenseman who is actually good at killing penalties
Who? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just don't see who else was there that would've been much better than CC.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 04:13 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Who? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just don't see who else was there that would've been much better than CC.
Kubina on a one year deal would be a description of someone he is talking about. He can pk and do some things even if his skills are in decline, oh and he is also a right handed shot.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:30 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
What are you "just saying"? Ehrhoff is better than all of those players. Those players have potential. Ehrhoff is potential realized. We probably won't see any of those players amount to anything. Nyquist has the best chance and he might turn into another Hudler.
that you're overly trivializing the value of a 4th round pick in the post I quoted

although you do you use WAY too much hyperbole on a regular basis so dunno why i'm even bothering

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:33 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
I don't pretend to know what external factors limited Holland.
What I know is that this roster has gotten worse every year since 2009 and, at the same time, we're not doing a good job implementing youth.
I partly agree with the youth part, but I don't think it's been a huge issue. The young players who have proven themselves a bit (Smith, Nyquist) appear to have spots, or will have them soon. The only one who is somewhat of a head-scratcher for me is Tatar. I don't know if he belongs on the roster right now, but I would have thought he's have gotten more consideration than it seems he has gotten to this point. I don't see anyone else who would have a big effect and should be in the mix at this time though.

Quote:
What I also know is that, unlike 2009, we weren't limited by lack of cap space.
Never have the Red Wings had as much cap space as they had this year.
It's frustrating, I agree with that. But the Wings tried to use it. They tried for some high-caliber players. It didn't work out, and we couldn't get them without offering a silly contract, threatening Howson, or brainwashing Weber. So here we sit.

Quote:
I also know that the Red Wings farm system has never been as filled with prospects as it is right now.
And with the overabundance of depth players, prospects and cap space, it seems hard to believe we couldn't swing some kind of trade (one may still be coming).
A trade seems like it should be entirely plausible, sure. Lots of time for that to still happen.

Quote:
Finally, the moves we did make, other than Tootoo and Gustavsson, were the wrong moves. Sammy was a stupid signing. Colaicovo was a stupid signing.

Unneeded players who don't provide anything we really need.
We needed a RH shot on the PP, and another defenseman. So I disagree that those two players don't fill any needs.

Quote:
Good on him for trying, I suppose. But I'd rather have had Semin than Nash, given the price we'd pay.
Semin has been argued over enough already, so I don't want to beat a dead horse with that one. Agree to disagree. I'm glad we didn't get Semin.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Instead, if everyone is healthy, Tatar is a lock for GR, at least one of Nyquist/Brunner will be in GR - possibly both, Mursak and Emmerton will be buried in the pressbox, and guys like Sheahan, Andersson, Callahan, Ferraro, etc. are pushed further down the totem pole. this will all but guarantee we run into more roster congestion problems down the road as we have more and more guys coming to the point where they have to clear waivers but we haven't seen enough of at the NHL level to make an informed decision on.
Tatar is a little peculiar of a case, but are we really wringing our hands over guys like Callahan and Ferraro? They are far too small of a blip on the radar to influence roster decisions on the parent club, imo. They are effectively non-factors at this point. And while I like Mursak and Andersson, these guys haven't proven they hold enough value, or have enough upside, to take away roster spots from established NHLers. Same with Emmerton, though if he's proven anything, it's that he's a replacement-level player. Sheahan has some upside, but he has virtually no pro experience. He needs at least a year in GR. I think the only guys who belong in this conversation are Nyquist, Brunner, and Tatar.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote