HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

François Allaire will not return as goalie coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs

Old
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Tak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Can you explain that?
Lots of people with keener eyes that mine, picked up the fact that Reimer played a very different style of goaltending last year compared to the solid run he put together the year before when he carried us on the run to the playoffs.

It was suggested (and I believe quoted by Reimer in non-malicious circumstances) that Allaire had a huge influence on Reimer's change of style, which ultimately made him a worse goalie last year compared to the guy that came in on January 1st the year before and looked like the real deal.

Ultimately the consensus is that Reimer was prevented from playing his own natural style in net, because Allaire wouldn't let him.

Hope that clarifies that comment

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Didn't Allaire say that Reimer will be great? So according to his own words he does have something to work with here
Could be wrong here - but he said that at this time last year didn't he? Right after camp started?

Pretty much when everyone was banking on Reimer to be the real deal?

Also - what the hell else would you expect a coach to say about his player? "Oh, I don't think he's going to be all that... but hey, I have to still work with him for an entire year and me saying that won't make anything awkward now will it?"

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
gabeliscious

whoever is his replacement cant do any worse.

its true that allaire has worked with several great goaltenders but realistically was he actually the difference in them achieving greatness? i can see the aguement on both sides but im pretty sure roy would still have been one of the greatest goalies of all time.

im inclined to believe that the mediocre goalie benefits more from an above average coach then an exceptional goalie. the mediocre goalie is the one with much more room for improvement. look at the situation in pheonix, an above average coach with a mediocre roster and they still are able to look respectable every season? why is that? another example is st louis, they werent doing too hot until they switched coaches, same like LA.

im also not convinced that allaire is in fact an above average goalie coach. its easy to claim credit when you have the priveledge of working with goalies like luongo, roy, giggy, etc, etc but greatness would have been if he could turn reimer or gus into something respectable.

i wish him the best in where ever he ends up next but im not sold that he is the mesiah of goalie coaching.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Allaire is pretty classless, points the blame at anyone but himself and just basically up and leaves and says **** off.

Good riddance, hated seeing our goalies constantly on their knees and pucks going over their shoulders, the game has changed you idiotic french baboon, players have enough skill to shoot the puck anywhere now...

He deserves all the hate he gets and more, I don't care if he's helped us sign all our unsuccessful FA's.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Could be wrong here - but he said that at this time last year didn't he? Right after camp started?

Also - what the hell else would you expect a coach to say about his player? "Oh, I don't think he's going to be all that... but hey, I have to still work with him for an entire year and me saying that won't make anything awkward now will it?"
I wouldn't except him to say anything else, no

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:22 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...dnt-do-my-job/

Quote:
When asked of his relationship with Reimer, Jonas Gustavsson and the other goaltenders, Allaire was complimentary. There were no issues. Everyone listened, he said.

“James Reimer, the past two years that I worked with him, I was really happy with everything. He’s a great kid. He’s going to be a great goalie.”
Looks like he's saying that as he's leaving.

He's burning management bridges, but still okay with the actual talent. Seems he's point at off ice issues (off ice as in not the professionals getting paid to play the game).

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:24 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
whoever is his replacement cant do any worse.
What about them asking Curtis Joseph if he wants that job. I realize he's doing that in Kingston but given the chance I'm sure he would take it.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:30 PM
mcleex

Guys who cares about Allaire, the Leafs changed their locker room and all the quotes inside of it!!!

Playoffs 2013 baby WOOO

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Interactif

Whoever it is, I would like to have someone with a Leafs connection, I mean Poulin, Staios, Allaire had zero Leafs history when they came here. Why not link up some of the past with the new, I really think all the Goalies need is a mentor, whether this is Potvin, Belfour, Cujo to lean on, these guys should all be great mentors. They've been there, and they all have a unique outlook on what it takes to play in Toronto. Plus they have probably learned a lot from various Goalie coaches in the past.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Budsfan

I used to think that Allaire may have been the problem with our Goal Tenders but Scrivens has this to say about him.

Quote:
“His system isn’t just, sit there and be motionless and hope pucks hit you,” says Scrivens. “People who say that are idiots. It’s like writing a book report on a book you’ve never read before and being forceful about your convictions. But again, you can have your opinion, and I can have the opinion that you’re an idiot.”
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...s-ben-scrivens

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:36 PM
GoalieGuy35

Allaire is an elite goalie coach. For those who have never been goalies, who have never worked with him, for him, or been around him, seem to have a very difficult time understanding this. He has an exceptional understanding of both the mental and technical aspect of the game, and will end up with another NHL team. When you have multiple coaches working with a team's goalies, they need to all be on the same page on what is going on, or it will hinder the goalies performance, which i believe Allaire is leading to with his comments. I don't blame him for leaving, his work shouldn't be undermined by bringing out more people to work with the goalies in the system, they hired him for that sole purpose, and didn't use him to his full potential clearly if he was asking for more time with them.

GoalieGuy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:42 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
I used to think that Allaire may have been the problem with our Goal Tenders but Scrivens has this to say about him.

Thank you for posting this. I agree with Scrivens very much.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:55 PM
The Nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
What about them asking Curtis Joseph if he wants that job. I realize he's doing that in Kingston but given the chance I'm sure he would take it.
Cujo as a goalie coach makes about as much sense to me as Hasek would... some guys are great players but you'd never want them teaching your youngsters to play like they did.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post

Scrivens obviously visits this board.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:02 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nic View Post
Cujo as a goalie coach makes about as much sense to me as Hasek would... some guys are great players but you'd never want them teaching your youngsters to play like they did.
As the saying goes, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach"... so maybe we should get Toskala to be the goaltending coach.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
D3ADLY

Let's just take it as whatever happens, happens for good reason. If a player or coach or anybody affiliated with the team does not want to be here then it's better we move on and find someone who does.

D3ADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
Guys who cares about Allaire, the Leafs changed their locker room and all the quotes inside of it!!!

Playoffs 2013 baby WOOO
That's probably one of the new quotes.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nic View Post
How about Billy Smith? Adds some truculence to the goaltending position with the hacking at the ankles.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3ADLY View Post
Let's just take it as whatever happens, happens for good reason. If a player or coach or anybody affiliated with the team does not want to be here then it's better we move on and find someone who does.
Or maybe we should start looking at the root problem as to why players/personnel do not want to play here *cough* Brian Burke

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Pretty hard to blame the goalie coach when the team in front of the goaltending was absolute **** defensively for the time he was here.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Or maybe we should start looking at the root problem as to why players/personnel do not want to play here *cough* Brian Burke
I doubt that. The thing about Burke is that he is loyal to the core, hate him or not, you have to admire that about him. I think players and personnel know that. I remember Liles said that Burke was a big reasons why he resigned in Toronto. If there is a reason why "players/personnel do not want to play here", I'm sure it doesn't have much to do with Burke personally but more to do with the state of the team and/or the pressures of being in this market.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
How about Billy Smith? Adds some truculence to the goaltending position with the hacking at the ankles.
Or try to pluck Ron Hextall away from the Kings organization. If there's one former goaltender who can teach how to master the art of puck possession, it's him.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:31 PM
The Beyonder

Wasn't Francois leaving predicted like 4 months ago? I'm not really surprised. The guy took a lot of undeserved heat, and by undeserved heat I mean he was practically blamed for ruining these goalies...that's a bit much looking back on that now.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:41 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
Wasn't Francois leaving predicted like 4 months ago? I'm not really surprised. The guy took a lot of undeserved heat, and by undeserved heat I mean he was practically blamed for ruining these goalies...that's a bit much looking back on that now.
The only guy he didn't really have any success with at all was Gus. Well, Toskala. But nobody gives a **** about Toskala.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Finally

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote