HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2012, 08:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Since It looks like the lockout will happen, I'll post my lockout roster/lines

Nyquist-Andersson-Brunner
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Parkes-Aubry-Callahan
Glendening-Raedeke-Ferraro

Paestch-Smith
Almquist-Lashoff
Evans-Nicastro

MacDonald
Mrazek

I don't think Pare or Tease has a place on this team. More talent is coming in, and I think they get pushed out.

I would absolutely love if Jarnkrok was centering that top line.

I see nobody has mentioned the coaching yet...How does everyone feel about Bashill?

Good?
Bad?
At least he isn't Fraser?(my vote)

Honestly I love the fact that Brunner is playing in the AHL this season. I see him finishing top 10 in scoring.
I really like Jeff Blashill. I thought it was a good hire last year, turns out he struggled with some of the veteran elements in Detroit from the sounds of things. He has been an outstanding coach with younger players, so I think this is a great move.

Totally disagree on Pare. His spot isn't pushed all the way off the roster. He has a lot value to Grand Rapids, vitually none to the Red Wings but that doesn't mean he finds his way completely off the roster. In fact as I have said before around here Jurco is going to have a really tough time knocking him out of the top 6.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Totally disagree on Pare. His spot isn't pushed all the way off the roster. He has a lot value to Grand Rapids, vitually none to the Red Wings but that doesn't mean he finds his way completely off the roster. In fact as I have said before around here Jurco is going to have a really tough time knocking him out of the top 6.
Well, I don't see any kind competition between Jurco and Pare. Jurco will be in the TOP6, period. He is our most talented prospect there, he is our future, he will get the minutes.

When the NHL starts, the potential TOP6 forwards are Tatar, Andersson, Jurco, Sheahan, Pare, Nestrasil and Coetzee, maybe Parkes. It's more of a battle between Nestrasil/Coetzee/Pare. And I'm not very impressed of Nestrasil. His time is running out without any promises of taking big developing steps.

But let's wait Blashill do his work. New coach could get new guys blossoming who will have "hidden" potential.

Old
09-14-2012, 01:11 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Well, I don't see any kind competition between Jurco and Pare. Jurco will be in the TOP6, period. He is our most talented prospect there, he is our future, he will get the minutes.

When the NHL starts, the potential TOP6 forwards are Tatar, Andersson, Jurco, Sheahan, Pare, Nestrasil and Coetzee, maybe Parkes. It's more of a battle between Nestrasil/Coetzee/Pare. And I'm not very impressed of Nestrasil. His time is running out without any promises of taking big developing steps.

But let's wait Blashill do his work. New coach could get new guys blossoming who will have "hidden" potential.
You say this but landon ferraro wasn't top 6 last year. We've had lots of prospects go down there and have to work their way up past the Doug McLeans and Jeremy Williams and Doug Janiks and Garret Staffords, etc

Old
09-14-2012, 03:16 PM
ChadS

List of players assigned to Grand Rapids: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...medium=twitter

All names expected, just a confirmation.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Anybody else find it interesting that the Wings have not assigned Joey MacDonald? He is no longer on the roster for Grand Rapids on the team web-site either. Maybe something is being announced over the next day or so, just find it surprising. Have no problem with them rolling with Mrazek and McCollum but I am curious what is going on here, you would think they would have needed to waive him by now to put him down there.

Old
09-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Frk It
Holy Slapper

Quote:
Anybody else find it interesting that the Wings have not assigned Joey MacDonald? He is no longer on the roster for Grand Rapids on the team web-site either. Maybe something is being announced over the next day or so, just find it surprising. Have no problem with them rolling with Mrazek and McCollum but I am curious what is going on here, you would think they would have needed to waive him by now to put him down there.
He wants to be traded somewhere to get a shot to compete for an NHL job.

Old
09-14-2012, 05:06 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
He wants to be traded somewhere to get a shot to compete for an NHL job.
I know that, but he makes 500K+ this year on a one way even if he is in Grand Rapids and a trade for him at the NHL level seems pretty unlikely. Just surprised since it has not taken place, that it appears he won't be in Grand Rapids doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe they will loan him overseas I guess.

Old
09-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
I really like Jeff Blashill. I thought it was a good hire last year, turns out he struggled with some of the veteran elements in Detroit from the sounds of things. He has been an outstanding coach with younger players, so I think this is a great move.

I agree Pare is a top 6 AHL forward. IIRC, he's in the last year of his contract, and might be better served getting loaned out to a team that could use him better. Also, that allows the Jurco's of the world to get their playing time. I see that as a win-win.

Now, if there is no lock-out, Brunner makes the Wings(or Nyquist), my lines are pointless and Pare will be a top 6 forward. It's just the trickle down effect of a lock-out that I can see this scenario happening.

Old
09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I agree Pare is a top 6 AHL forward. IIRC, he's in the last year of his contract, and might be better served getting loaned out to a team that could use him better. Also, that allows the Jurco's of the world to get their playing time. I see that as a win-win.

Now, if there is no lock-out, Brunner makes the Wings(or Nyquist), my lines are pointless and Pare will be a top 6 forward. It's just the trickle down effect of a lock-out that I can see this scenario happening.
Listen the Griffins do pander to the Red Wings a lot. Really it is a good relationship despite some of the problems with Fraser and development. They put a coach down there that is known for his development of young players, don't forget Blashill is part of the reason DeKeyser exploded onto the scene.

At the end of the day however it is an AHL franchise. While they get a huge boost from the relationship with the Wings they have missed the playoffs three straight seasons and they want to get there. I know we as fans of the Wings want Jurco to be Top 6 from day 1. I am just not sure how likely that is to happen. Pare helps an AHL team win games while playing in the top 6, he needs to get beat out for that spot and that will probably take more than camp.

I am greatful Grand Rapids listens to the Wings as much as they do. It is a healthy relationship, but I think the Wings also would like a little better product down in the AHL. They need players to go to the playoffs, it helps development, last season being a perfect example. Yes they used to call up the players and give them a month of practive as black aces but last year all of the seasons ended way too quickly. They need this team to be a little better, playing Pare in the Top 6 for the first half the season might insure Jurco gets to practice and play a month longer. That is important and I can see the parent team getting behind that.

I don't think Pare will ever play for the Wings. But I see his value on the Griffins, I want Jurco to win the job. I think it is better for him and I think it will be harder than people that just follow mega prospects think.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:10 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Brunner will play in the AHL when the NHL locks out. There was an article on MLive that mentioned that, I think.
http://www.evz.ch/de/news_items

Apparently Brunner has signed some try-out deal with Zug. At the same time it touches the AHL, that he's supposed to go to the AHL or something. I don't know exactly what is in mind here, a lifeline?

Old
09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
http://www.evz.ch/de/news_items

Apparently Brunner has signed some try-out deal with Zug. At the same time it touches the AHL, that he's supposed to go to the AHL or something. I don't know exactly what is in mind here, a lifeline?
He'll play there until the AHL starts. At least that was the plan a while ago.

Old
09-17-2012, 12:49 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
He'll play there until the AHL starts. At least that was the plan a while ago.
So if he comes to camp, he'll get to play four games for Zug. If he comes for the season start, about seven games. Nothing wrong with that, just a little different.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:29 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
So if he comes to camp, he'll get to play four games for Zug. If he comes for the season start, about seven games. Nothing wrong with that, just a little different.
I guess he just wants to get some games under his belt and not wait around for another couple of weeks, which is understandable.

Old
09-17-2012, 02:31 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I thought I just saw he will stay in the NLA until lockout is over instead of playing in the AHL.

Old
09-17-2012, 03:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
I thought I just saw he will stay in the NLA until lockout is over instead of playing in the AHL.
Then it should probably read he will stay in the NLA, the Wings have made their position on this pretty clear to him. They want him in the AHL, if he has any future with the organization he will show up and play in the AHL during the lockout. Really it probably increases his chances a ton at breaking camp with the Wings whenever the lockout ends, because he will have answered the small ice questions. I think he was always going to spend the first couple weeks down there, now he does it while not being angry the Wings sent him down, they were forced to.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:12 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Then it should probably read he will stay in the NLA, the Wings have made their position on this pretty clear to him. They want him in the AHL, if he has any future with the organization he will show up and play in the AHL during the lockout. Really it probably increases his chances a ton at breaking camp with the Wings whenever the lockout ends, because he will have answered the small ice questions. I think he was always going to spend the first couple weeks down there, now he does it while not being angry the Wings sent him down, they were forced to.
you should maybe read the press release of ev zug first.

brunner will be with ev zug for the length of the lockout, because it was part of the agreement made between detroit and zug when the wings signed brunner. he had a contract with zug until 2016 and the wings used an outclause. and that's why he's in switzerland and not in the AHL.
if there'd be a NHL season, i'm sure the plan was to have him in the AHL if he didn't make the team immediately. but lockout is a different case.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Frk It
Holy Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post

brunner will be with ev zug for the length of the lockout, because it was part of the agreement made between detroit and zug when the wings signed brunner. he had a contract with zug until 2016 and the wings used an outclause. and that's why he's in switzerland and not in the AHL.
if there'd be a NHL season, i'm sure the plan was to have him in the AHL if he didn't make the team immediately. but lockout is a different case.
bump Jurco up the depth chart

Old
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:

Now maybe you speak Swiss-German, but I would be careful before you get to laughing at what google translate gave me on this article. The 2016 number is talking about Diaz and his contract with Montreal best I can tell.

Quote:
The current up to 2016 ECC contract with Rafael Diaz would not be effective again when the national team defender ended his NHL-adventure and returned to Switzerland. Now, the two parties agreed to a special regime during the lockout period.
In the very same release

Quote:
as long as you play with us until the league and the players union in North America have agreed. Possible that Damien then something must return earlier because it Detroit still wants to use a couple of games in the AHL farm team.
There seems to be some disconnect with how each team is looking at this. Now maybe Brunner has changed his mind since landing in Switzerland. It sounds like they think he reports to Grand Rapids as soon as an agreement is reached. That isn't what I have read from Wings people and I would stand by the fact they would be very angry if he doesn't show in my opinion.

So it looks like Zug would like him back, but I see nothing there to explain the Wings position. Other than Jim Nill is on record as saying he will be there for a couple weeks to get in game shape. I don't know what would have changed and why a guy of Nill's caliber wouldn't understand something like contract out clauses to be suggesting he stay in the AHL until the season started. They assigned him to Grand Rapids and it looks like they have every intention of putting him there and not loaning him overseas. The real interesting/ugly one is if they would push the IIHF through the AHL to make sure he honors the agreement with the AHL, wonder if they would go that far?

Also once again Brunner himself.

Quote:
Brunner understands the adjustment to the NHL, from Switzerland and the larger ice surfaces in Europe, isn't going to be easy.

"There's less room to make plays and the bodies are bigger and ice smaller," said Brunner. "That's why I chose to play in the AHL and get adjusted to the smaller ice."
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...0103/209050425

Also it would seem they lined up who comes in when Brunner heads back to North America in that very article, Luca Sbisa.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:58 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Now maybe you speak Swiss-German, but I would be careful before you get to laughing at what google translate gave me on this article. The 2016 number is talking about Diaz and his contract with Montreal best I can tell.
you are absolutely right about the 2016 number. that was my mistake. i think brunner had a contract until 2015 anyway IIRC. it's the same situation as diaz (the guy with 2016).
but from my understanding of the sitation and what i was told from a swiss journalist, it seems that for the time of the lockout brunner will be in zug, but as soon as the lockout is over he will report to GR. i don't know how the plan of the NHL is terms of a camp/preseason thing, but i guess between lockout ending and NHL start there are a bunch of AHL games to be played.

but then again, as long as no one clarifies the kind of "agreement" both teams have, i guess everything is speculation.
i wonder how much control the wings have on players during a lockout, since they don't meet parts of the contract. could be that as long as the lockout is underway, brunner simply supports his PA fellows with not reporting. not sure if he has too. that's too much CBA stuff for me.
but brunner always made it clear that the AHL is an option for him because he wants to make the NHL one day.

that being said, the NLA will add a lot of interesting NHLers. so the competition level will be much higher. while he won't learn the NA size, he will compete against guys like nash and thornton. that's interesting too IMO.

Old
09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
The Nose

So, as of right now, Brunner will be playing in the AHL in October?

Old
09-18-2012, 11:25 PM
joe89

Quote:
you are absolutely right about the 2016 number. that was my mistake. i think brunner had a contract until 2015 anyway IIRC. it's the same situation as diaz (the guy with 2016).
but from my understanding of the sitation and what i was told from a swiss journalist, it seems that for the time of the lockout brunner will be in zug, but as soon as the lockout is over he will report to GR. i don't know how the plan of the NHL is terms of a camp/preseason thing, but i guess between lockout ending and NHL start there are a bunch of AHL games to be played.

but then again, as long as no one clarifies the kind of "agreement" both teams have, i guess everything is speculation.
i wonder how much control the wings have on players during a lockout, since they don't meet parts of the contract. could be that as long as the lockout is underway, brunner simply supports his PA fellows with not reporting. not sure if he has too. that's too much CBA stuff for me.
but brunner always made it clear that the AHL is an option for him because he wants to make the NHL one day.

that being said, the NLA will add a lot of interesting NHLers. so the competition level will be much higher. while he won't learn the NA size, he will compete against guys like nash and thornton. that's interesting too IMO.
I'm kinda either or. If he plays in NLA he'll play in a rock 'n' roll league that'll be plenty good. Good teammates, good opponents. With Elitserien's no thanks and KHL's restrictions, at least I figure plenty of players will go NLA. Another aspect is that it clears top6 ice time for somebody else with the Griffins, while he gets his aswell. On the other hand, playing in the AHL he'll get to know future teammates, playing style, rink sizes etc. that will undoubtedly help him more in camp. Plus personal reasons, I wanna watch him on a line with Andersson and Nyquist/Tatar.

Old
09-19-2012, 09:07 AM
kap0r

just a quick heads-up:
Tatar is rumored to play for Slovan Bratislava (KHL) /or Dukla Trencin (Slovak extraleague) until 10th of October.
(buddies from Slovan I asked don`t know nothing about that though, so...)
http://translate.google.com/translat...n.html&act=url

Old
09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap0r View Post
just a quick heads-up:
Tatar is rumored to play for Slovan Bratislava (KHL) /or Dukla Trencin (Slovak extraleague) until 10th of October.
(buddies from Slovan I asked don`t know nothing about that though, so...)
http://translate.google.com/translat...n.html&act=url
That's not very good news from Wings perspective.

Old
09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
That's not very good news from Wings perspective.
Why? He's going to play there to get in game shape (and for some extra money), and then returns to Griffins when the season starts.

This is the way to get in game shape, when all the training camps and practise games are canceled. Nothing but a win-win.

Old
09-19-2012, 02:03 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Why? He's going to play there to get in game shape (and for some extra money), and then returns to Griffins when the season starts.

This is the way to get in game shape, when all the training camps and practise games are canceled. Nothing but a win-win.
Yes, you are correct, I should have read the link better. I'm an idiot, sorry.

Closed Thread