*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2012, 01:22 PM
JSavoire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Plus, Ritchie was pretty soft for being a "big man". I didn't mind that trade.
Kuj wanted out and that was the force behind that deal. Management wasn't actively trying to get rid of him until all the 'noise' kept coming up and then they had to pull the trigger.

Old
09-13-2012, 03:07 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Kuj wanted out and that was the force behind that deal. Management wasn't actively trying to get rid of him until all the 'noise' kept coming up and then they had to pull the trigger.
Definitely a point that hasn't been discussed here.

Old
09-13-2012, 04:42 PM
my05cents

Wow!! I figured you would be over your man crush on JB by now. The man is poison. How about his failure to recognize and develop talent. Look at the vets and experience he had at his disposal to develop this kid. I believe Gill referred to him as being a sponge and eager to learn. Why wasn't that evident to JB. No he decided to treat him like s... (although he did treat all players the same) and play him sporadically with 4th line players. Respect is earned,the man obviously did
not gain the players respect because he didn't deserve it. I think Yaki could attest to that. You do not go from having 6pts in 29 games to a point per player game and say he was given a fair chance in Sarnia. His season started at the U17 after not playing for 3 weeks. Krause, my heart goes out to you, you are obviously a very dedicated and loyal fan, who appears to like to see these young kids develop, and grow within your community. It is a shame that with all the ownership issues you now also have JB. What ever happened to the scout that drafted him, would like to hear his opinion.

Old
09-13-2012, 05:30 PM
krauss72

.05 that scout got **** on and canned right along with 3/4 of the Sting and RBC staff. Jim recognizes talent and Plymouth wouldn't have taken him back if they seriously didn't value his eye for talent. Its almost comical now because if the ownership ever decides to go in a different direction and get rid of the one man monopoly, they will need to hire like 10 people. Hell, the coachs dont even see eye to eye. This is Trevors last year. Want to make any wagers on his return next year if Jacko remains? You think Galy Sr will be around? I just don't see Jacko as a developmental coach, period. You think he is going to develop Barrick or any goalie for that matter for when JPA is gone next year? You think are young rookies like Renaud or Hargrave are going to get quality minutes in a environment where they can learn without being **** on? I hope he proves me wrong and I eat crow. I totally agree that Ritchie was not on his game with the current GM/coach. Interestingly enough, he turned the page, had a great 2nd half and signed his ELC, all after he was in a different environment. Kuj in a different environment turned a page as well. How f**king sad that his camp has to make major noise to get that lad what he deserved. My question is the ramifications. How many agents/camps has Jacko pissed off to the point they will no longer let there players report to Sarnia? Hay some of us know some are former players. Its amazing what a little private investigation turns up off the record. There is no way the ownership knows some of this **** or they are just burring there heads until his contract is over. We are a great hockey town and we deserve to at least be respected as fans. So do these kids deserve better who opt to come here while pursuing there dreams. I'm out of here. Have some hockey to watch and pop a few cold ones. Cheers.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Brendan Ross ‏@RossyYoungblood
For a kid who hasn't skated in north America, Goldobin is impressing me tremendously. 2G & 1A in debut. Not shabby #eyesinthebackofhishead

Sting are dominating tonight, 8-0.

Old
09-13-2012, 08:56 PM
krauss72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Brendan Ross ‏@RossyYoungblood
For a kid who hasn't skated in north America, Goldobin is impressing me tremendously. 2G & 1A in debut. Not shabby #eyesinthebackofhishead

Sting are dominating tonight, 8-0.

Outstanding game for the rookie import! Improved teamwork and you can see some chemistry starting to develope with top 2-3 lines. Disappointed to see some of the youngsters sitting.

Old
09-13-2012, 09:18 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Outstanding game for the rookie import! Improved teamwork and you can see some chemistry starting to develope with top 2-3 lines. Disappointed to see some of the youngsters sitting.
Agreed. GoldObin was much much better than I expected. Kid really sees the ice well. He's be a real nice setup man for a shooter, ahem Boucher, Brown.

It will be interesting to see him once he gets comfortable and gains confidence. Slick player

Nemecek has been quietly good too. Probably the second best D behind Murphy. Great addition

I also wish the hargravea, Nikandrovs got more icetime given the game was blowout. I would've put them out every other shift and tried them with Gally or Sarault

Also, Bryan Moore continues to shine. Love his game. Talk about confidence

Cheers

Old
09-13-2012, 10:04 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Agreed. GoldObin was much much better than I expected. Kid really sees the ice well. He's be a real nice setup man for a shooter, ahem Boucher, Brown.

It will be interesting to see him once he gets comfortable and gains confidence. Slick player

Nemecek has been quietly good too. Probably the second best D behind Murphy. Great addition

I also wish the hargravea, Nikandrovs got more icetime given the game was blowout. I would've put them out every other shift and tried them with Gally or Sarault

Also, Bryan Moore continues to shine. Love his game. Talk about confidence

Cheers
Hi---can someone let me know how Renaud has looked in the pre season, thank you in advance.

Old
09-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Baldy

http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/09/13...he-rbc-centre-
Apparently Rob is losing a quarter mil a year operating the RBC. Plan on losing more this year Rob, as you piss on your patrons.

Old
09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
mesh

the force behind the kuj deal was spooner wanting to play in sarnia and jacques dream of winning the memorial cup by stacking his team so he can coach in the nhl next year . all your moves did not work and dont forget about ritchie, did he not play against london in the ohl championship series???? i hope igor buys the team and coaches it , us sarnia fans deserve it.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:18 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternOntario Fan View Post
Hi---can someone let me know how Renaud has looked in the pre season, thank you in advance.
Hes been the best '96 rookie through camp and preseason despite limited time. At this point in time, Renaud is more refined than 1st rd pick Brett Hargrave

Old
09-14-2012, 11:13 PM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Hes been the best '96 rookie through camp and preseason despite limited time. At this point in time, Renaud is more refined than 1st rd pick Brett Hargrave
Thanks,good to hear. Hopefully I was wrong when I predicted he would be a third liner at best after the draft---where I also said that second round was waaaaaay to early. Hopefully he makes me eat my words.

Old
09-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
The Oilers have assigned Nail to Sarnia. It's probably just a paper transaction though.

Old
09-15-2012, 02:38 PM
johnnydrum

Hiya All...
Just read that Nail has been sent to the OHL by the Oilers.
Wonder what will happen next..I sure hope he stays and plays out the season in NA rather than taking a KHL option.
Having said that, where does that leave the Sting, and other teams, who would have 3 Import spots. (Yakupov, Goldobin, Nemacek)

I swear , although this is great seeing my favourite prospects spend another year in the CHL, this lockout is going to cause a ton of problems throughout all the leagues.

Both the NHLPA and NHL should be ashamed!!
They are not just scuppering thier own careers, but stalling those, whom have not yet been lucky enough to have forged one!

Last edited by johnnydrum: 09-15-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old
09-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Baldy

Yakupov will NOT be coming back to Sarnia. His Twitter feed states that he is heading back to Russia today.

Old
09-15-2012, 05:09 PM
krauss72

Not to many really ever thought Nail would return here. Nail and his family had a major fallout last season with are current GM/coach. That comes from his father first hand and is pretty well known. Its a shame because I would sure like to see that lad one more year or at least part of one more year and god knows he would put more butts in the seats at the RBC. Now we in Sarnia miss out on this special talent as does the rest of the OHL. The KHL is probably a better option for a number of reasons but damn it pisses me off that he could have been here again if JB would swallow a little pride and learn some respect and how to communicate effectively with these youngsters.

Old
09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
the4thHansonbrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Hiya All...
Just read that Nail has been sent to the OHL by the Oilers.
Wonder what will happen next..I sure hope he stays and plays out the season in NA rather than taking a KHL option.
Having said that, where does that leave the Sting, and other teams, who would have 3 Import spots. (Yakupov, Goldobin, Nemacek)

I swear , although this is great seeing my favourite prospects spend another year in the CHL, this lockout is going to cause a ton of problems throughout all the leagues.

Both the NHLPA and NHL should be ashamed!!
They are not just scuppering thier own careers, but stalling those, whom have not yet been lucky enough to have forged one!
Teams are allowed to carry 3 imports, I believe only during lockout years though...could be wrong on that. Rule says only 2 can be dressed in any one game however. In the case of the Sting, Yakupov has already said he wants to play for his hometown KHL team, and return if and when the lockout is over.

Old
09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
BoxerMax

I believe that the Sting are better off without Yakupov. As much as I enjoy watching him play, I found allot of times when he was on the ice, no one had any clue what he was doing with the puck. And that includes his teammates. I found they would stand around watching him. Without his this team needs to play like a team and so far they are doing it in the preseason.

Old
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
hockeylegend11

The players that impressed me the most today for the Sting were the new Russian Goldobin,Mike Dipaulo,Justice Dundas, and Charles Sarault who had 4 pts this afternoon
The Sting were missing some key pieces today including Galchenyuk,Boucher,DeAngelo and Andersen

Old
09-17-2012, 02:40 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Caught the final preseason ge in Windsor yesterday and was really looking forward to seeing how the kids played with all of the offensive talent out of the lineup (Gally, Boucher, Moore, DeAngelo, Anderson) and here are my thoughts (honest thoughts and I'm not trying to criticize any players but provide an honest assessment:

-Goldobin was excellent again. He might have the best vision on the team and will especially be a weapon on the PP. Jacko seems to like him too as he put him out in the final minute with the goalie pulled after about a 15 second rest

- Barrick is the backup if there was any doubt. Dawe struggled yesterday to find the puck and he was all over the net (iout of position). Barrick played well

- in my opinion, Hargrave isn't ready to play For the big club yet. I see two options that would be best for his development. First option: Send him to JrB (at least to start the year) to get some confidence. He appears to struggle handling the puck and that includes taking a pass. It's clear that he's got a wicked shot (heavy) and that's his best asset but he needs the confidence to get the puck. Second option (probably the likely option as he's a 1st round pick): keep him up but give him important minutes. Whereever he ends up he needs to get
Icetime to gain the confidence he needs. Throw him on the second PP as a net presence and utilize him that way. As we know from last year, not playing rookies enough isn't worth keeping them with the big club

- Addesi: another player that should probably be in JrB. At this point, I don't see a "need" for him to stay. He's serviceable but I think he might be better served receiving more minutes and he'd get that in JrB. It really depends on how management sees his potential.

- Renaud: in my opinion, Renaud is the '96 rookie who should stick. He's intelligent on the ice and shows good work ethic in all zones.

I'd recommend:

Boucher-Galchenyuk-Moore
D.Brown-Sarault-Goldobin
Renaud/Dundas-Latta-Hottot
Dundas/Renaud-Nikandrov-Mater/Hargrave

F Scratches: Hargrave, Mater, Addesi

Surprisingly, Sarnia only has one left-handed shot on the point (Nemecek)

Murphy- DeAngelo
Nemecek- Kyzmyk
Basso- Duininck
DiPaolo

D Scratch: Chapman

JP Anderson
Brodie Barrick

PP1: Boucher-Galchenyuk-Sarault, Murphy-Basso
PP2: Brown or Dundas- Hottot-Goldobin, Nemecek, DeAngelo

Personally, I'd like to give DeAngelo first power play duties but it's more likely that will go to Basso

It's going to be interesting to see how the scratches go this season

On a side note, Cam Ashley (who I liked in camp) has started his season playing for Tri-City Icehawks in the Minnesota Junior Hockey League (MNJHL) and currently leads the league in scoring with 13 points through 6 games (7G)

Old
09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Parking charges explained http://www.theobserver.ca/2012/09/13...he-rbc-centre-

Old
09-18-2012, 07:38 AM
krauss72

On a lighter note. Stamkos and his flow

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-top-...ws-in-the-nhl/

Old
09-18-2012, 09:14 AM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Matt Martin honourable mention also!

Old
09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
bobbygore

Quote:
All valid points above fan but it's a lot easier to criticize management about last seasons moves in hindsight now

Beyond Kujawinski, what else did the Sting give up that upsets everyone.i believe it was a few 2nds (for JP, who we STILL have). I'm drawing a blank really so let me know what pieces they gave up that's upsetting fans

Personally, I had NO PROBLEM with the trades they made. Prior to the Kujawinski / Spooner trade, Ryan Kujawinski showed very little. He wasn't given much ice but when he did, he was mediocre at best. It was kind of expected fhat bis minutes would be limited with Sarnia's depth In hindsight, I'm sure management wouldn't make that same trade but they did get a bonafide OHL scorer in that deal and they took a big risk. It didn't pay off obviously but it was a gamble. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Hindsight aside, If Sarnia would have made conference finals would fans still be bitter at losing Kujo? I'm sure they would find something else to pick at if not.

There's no denying the Stings poor track record but last season was a step in the right direction IMO - them trying to put a playoff team on the ice.

For me, this season and how it unfolds will be the ultimate test for Jacko. He's going to have some tough decisions to make at some point and the outcome of those decisions are significant.

I get the pain from years of losing but to criticize the Stings season last year is shortsighted considering the new changes last offseason. They went for it and it didn't work out. It happens. The true test is how the team picks up the pieces and proceed. I like a few of the preseason moves the team has made.
Second and third round picks are like absolute gold in this league, so for our GM to trade away 7 future second rounders and 3 third rounders was mortgaging a huge part of the team's future. It was hardly just the Kujawinski trade that has some fans so upset although the fact that he was also part of the trading binge makes the cost of last year's binge enormous. What makes it particularly painful was the fact that the team was eliminated in just 6 games in the first round after giving up so much. Make no mistake the franchise will be paying for last year's excess for a long, long time.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:04 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
Make no mistake the franchise will be paying for last year's excess for a long, long time.
I would have to disagree with that last comment. IMO I believe this team is going to surprise allot of people this year. I also believe that the Sting have had some good drafts the last couple of years. I don't think they are in any position to win the OHL, but I don't see them missing the playoffs either. If they are in a selling position at the trade deadline, they have more than enough talent to move to get back most, if not all of the picks traded last year.

Closed Thread